2006 Pontiac G6
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Pontiac G6 has major problems with two areas fairly critical to the act of driving... steering & safety.
The 2006 G6 has a major defect trend with electronic power-assisted steering failure. The power steering cuts out while driving, making it extremely difficult to steer. G6 owners typically report spending $600 - $1,200+ to fix the problem, replacing either the entire steering column or the power assist motor.
In March 2010, GM recalled 1.3 million vehicles for this exact problem "...after receiving 1,100 complaints of power steering failures." However the 2006 G6 wasn't included in that recall.
In July 2010, GM issued a "Special Coverage Adjustment" — TSB #10183 — covering "certain" (not all) 2005, 2006 & 2008 Pontiac G6's for this power steering issue, up to 10 years/100k miles. However a large number of 2006 G6 owners have reported they were not covered by this campaign, based on VIN#.
As of late 2013 the NHTSA had well over 700 steering complaints on file for the 2006 G6, with 21 crashes & 12 injuries. The NHTSA closed their initial investigation in 2007, having determined that losing your power steering going over 15-20 mph isn't a big deal & that most crashes occurred at slow speeds, so not a safety risk. Ridiculous? Yep, we think so too.
The 2006 G6 also has an expensive problem with "popping" or "clunking" noises when turning, & that issue extends to newer model years as well.
Factor in the 2006 Pontiac G6's poor side impact protection & you end up with a vehicle you should steer clear of.
Worst 2006 G6 Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- steering problems266NHTSA complaints: 1016
- interior accessories problems72NHTSA complaints: 23
- engine problems47NHTSA complaints: 121
- brakes problems34NHTSA complaints: 179
- suspension problems32NHTSA complaints: 50
- transmission problems32NHTSA complaints: 20
- lights problems26NHTSA complaints: 182
- windows / windshield problems18NHTSA complaints: 14
- electrical problems15NHTSA complaints: 181
- seat belts / air bags problems14NHTSA complaints: 104
- AC / heater problems13NHTSA complaints: 1
- fuel system problems12NHTSA complaints: 90
- exhaust system problems11NHTSA complaints: 6
- exterior accessories problems9NHTSA complaints: 16
- wheels / hubs problems9NHTSA complaints: 14
- body / paint problems6NHTSA complaints: 23
- cooling system problems6NHTSA complaints: 3
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 46
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 18
Stay Up to Date
Compare Pontiac G6 Model Years
Curious how the 2006 G6 compares to other years?
Check out our Pontiac G6 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the G6.