2014 Subaru Forester engine problems: high oil consumption

High Oil Consumption

2014 Subaru Forester (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Subaru dealer.

8.3

$2,000.00

2. replace engine (4 reports)
  3. major engine work (3 reports)
  4. told burning 1 quart in 5000 miles was acceptable (2 reports)
  5. the new short block has, appears for now, has fixed the exce (1 reports)
2014 Subaru Forester engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Subaru Forester:

2014 Subaru Forester Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 132016

• CVT transmission

Purchased new Forester and I put a lot of highway miles on it from day one. I can't remember when the car didn't consume oil. But, getting about 28mpg hwy and seeing no puddles on the ground, I continued adding oil until it got to where I was adding 1 qt. every 1,000 to 1,200 miles. That's when I read about the recall and took it in to get an oil consumption test just before the 100k warranty expired. Miraculously, the car burned no oil according to this test! By then, I had stopped the highway driving, which they told me contributed to the problem.

Two months later, the car develops a horrible shake/noise that sounds like you're driving over a washboard when it hits 70 mph. Eventually, I have to drive no more than 45 to avoid the shaking/noise. First stop was to get the tires balanced, which did not fix the problem. So, I took it to my mechanic, who sent me to a transmission guy. Transmission guy said he couldn't work on CVT, so I had to take it to Subaru. Subaru dealer said I needed a new short block, new A/C compressor, and that the front arm bearings were bad. All this at a cost of over $7,000! BTW, this is a three year old car.

From there, I took it to another Subaru dealer to get a second opinion. This one said engine and transmission were fine, but it looked like front driver side wheel may be warped, which they couldn't fix. So, I took it to a wheel guy, who said wheel was fine. After six opinions, I took it back to my trusted mechanic and told him what the first Subaru dealer said. He looked at it again and replaced the front arm bearings ($424). Shaking/rattle noise went away. Yippeee! Not so fast, though. While it had been making that washboard noise, it had also developed a low humming sound, which I didn't focus on given the severity of the washboard problem. I assumed it was related. But, it's still there. When the car hits 42 mpg or so, the hum becomes very pronounced and gets progressively worse until the road noise overcomes the hum noise at around 70.

At this point, I am afraid to take the car on the highway and will be taking it back to my mechanic ASAP.

- , Melbourne, US

Mar 022016

Forester

Check oil light started coming on a month after getting the oil changed at dealer. All service has been done at the dealer. First thought the dealer was not filling Oil level enough, I live about 20 miles from the dealer so I topped off the oil myself. This happened two more times. I then had my wife bring into the dealer. They Topped off for free but said that it pretty normal. We noticed this has happened to many other Forester owners and Now feel like we may have a more serious issue.

- , Snohomish, wa, US

Mar 012017

Forester 2.5I

check engine light on

I bought my 2014 Subaru as a dealer loaner car and a CPO since 2014. It drove well for the first year but started giving me Check Engine Light since last year. The light came on typically around 400-600 miles prior to oil change. I told the dealership about it and all they said is bring it in so they can do consumption test. They done it twice and only to come back to tell me that it is normal. I have never own a car that need top off between the oil change and this is ridiculous. This morning as i was driving, the light came off and this time is is about 1,800 miles away from the next oil change! I am going to bring it to their attention but I am pinning a big hope cause they are likely going to tell me is "normal".

I have lost faith in the quality of Subaru cars especially the Forester. I want to like it but this is giving me more headache that I want to. Wonder anyone out there have any suggestions regarding this Engine Light issue.

- , Little Rock, US

Oct 162016

Forester Limited 2.5i

• CVT transmission

In 2014 I purchased a Forester Limited very well equipped because my daughter has purchased an early 2014 Forester Premium very well equipped. After we got the car we realized that it was not very sound proof and that road and wind noise was more than we expected. In addition, we paid a hefty sum for the navigation system that we quit using because it sent us to strange places, sometimes on the other side of town. It also did not have major highways shown on the map. Too often it showed us driving through uncharted land. When my daughter stopped by and told me she had an engine oil light on, I checked her oil and it was down 1 quart. I told her she needed to check it out with the Subaru dealer. The next day I received the letter in the mail about the class action lawsuit on the poorly designed motor. I read the letter that claimed Subaru knew of the design defect in their motors and, essentially they would be punished if the judge accepted the settlement. That is essentially, they will extend the warranty on motor, etc. on effected cars to 100,000. Sounds fair, but unfortunately, the definition and determination was to be left up to the dealers to follow Subaru Guidelines if they wanted to be paid for work. In jest, I told my wife that they will be doing oil consumption tests and will be overfilling the oil. So, I asked my daughter to stop by after the dealer said she needed to do an oil consumption test - and they changed the oil. She stopped by - what do you think I found after 4-5 checks of oil level. The oil was overfilled by a little more than 1/2 quart. Obviously, when she returned to the dealership after 2000 miles (or was it 1500) she was told that its oil consumption was not a problem. My daughter unloaded on the dealership. Strange, but the bought the 100,000 mile warranty when they bought the car.

So, back to my story. With a Forester with 45K miles, my wife and I decided to sell our Subaru for a later model that might not have the engine problem. So, I asked many Subaru dealerships in the midwest for a trade-in value. This value ranged from 15,000 to 16,900 with median around 16000. I then checked with the 3 basic books on trade-in values for my vehicle (NADA, Kelly, and ?). The range of quotes from these sources was from a low of 18,000 to a high of 20,500. Private Sale and Retail Sale were higher. So in the negotiation process I pushed for information on the disparity and was told that Subaru has set guidelines for these cars and if a dealer goes over that value in a trade-in, then Subaru will not stand behind the vehicle. In essence, Subaru corp who charges substantially for a Subaru is now reducing the value of the subaru to cover their expenses for replacing the engines. Furthermore, the class action settlement could not be better for Subaru. I don't think it unreasonable to question if Subaru somehow worked with the attorneys who did the class action law suit to settle in a manner that gives the consumer nothing and protects Subaru from lawsuits. In this case class action includes most of the bad engine owners and once settled they have no other recourse to gain compensation for what can only be Subaru's deceptive and unethical practices. The highest trade-in values of any vehicle - perhaps in someone's fantasies.

- , New London, MN, USA

Mar 152015

Forester Limited

• CVT transmission

The oil light came on, I immediately took it to the dealer. The dealer filled it up again and do the consumption test. I went back to the dealer after 1200 and the test was negative. About a year later the oil light came on again. Took it back to dealer and did the consumption test again. Went back to the dealer and the test was negative again. Five months later the oil light came on again. I called Subaru America but they won't do anything. They told me that I have to deal with the dealer. So I took it to the dealer and they replaced the oil level sensor.

So in the 3 years span and relatively low mileage, the oil light came on three times. I don't think it's gonna be a reliable car after 100K.

I will keep you all informed. I hope the new oil level sensor fixed the issue, I doubt it will. This is my first Subaru and probably the last if Subaru don't fix the problem.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 092015

Forester

This is my second Subaru. The first was an Impreza and I like the brand because I go into the mountains for hiking and skiing. I noticed the engine was running rough. I checked the dip stick and it was dry. I added 1 qt. of oil, ran the engine and checked the dipstick again. It was a still dry. I added a 2nd qt. of oil, ran the engine and checked the dipstick. There was oil at the bottom of the dipstick, below the oil markers. Not believing what was happening made sense I bought another qt. of oil and drove off.

I called the dealership, who had me bring in the car for a checkup. They couldn't find anything and topped off the oil. Four weeks and about 1,200 miles later I checked the oil and the oil was at the very bottom of the dipstick. I added a qt. of oil and called the dealership. The car went in for maintenance but the dealership couldn't find anything wrong with the oil consumption in 7 hours. The car is in an oil consumption test with the dealership. I bring it back in 1,200 miles.

- , Oakland, CA, USA

May 012015

Forester 2.5L

• CVT transmission

This car is mainly for around town with some trips. I have a second car for all my short around town driving. The oil light came on and I checked the oil.....nearly 2 qts low!

History...I was a licensed degreed mechanic..I change the oil, and I do it at half the recommended distance MOST times. So the loss of oil had never been noticed. The engine in my 2010 Forester BLEW UP on the freeway. I used to sell Subaru's. This is Subaru number ten for me, I have never had an oil burner..never. I believe the engine in the '10 failed due to low oil level some time earlier in its life..it had plenty of oil when a connecting rod bearing failed.

Current issue...did a single 1200 oil consumption test...no oil use. Was not told to continue or come back. End of test at 2300 miles the oil is down 1.5 qts...so it used none in 1200 miles and 1.5 qts in the next 1100 miles. Call my service rep and Subaru. Get the standard bs line that " that much oil consumption is normal" Subaru has replaced the ring replacement fix with a short block replacement, you just have to hope your new short block has the new parts/specs and not the old stuff.

The 2010 was bought as a retirement long term car that didn't work out well. The 2014 was bought as a long term retirement car..it does not look good.

Anyone start a class action law suit yet ??

P.S. It is not the transmission type that is the issue..it is a engine design issue. The good news is I can get 27-29 mpg on the freeway..sometimes better.

- , Aurora, CO, USA

Jul 012014

Forester Limited 2.5L

I WAS WARNED-NOT TO BUY A CVT EQUIPPED CAR, BUT STILL GIVEN POSITIVE REMARKS BY OTHERS ABOUT SUBARUS IN GENERAL-WE HAD A 2003 FORESTER WHICH HAD A DYING TRANSMISSION BY 115K MI APPROX., BUT I GUESS THE PRICE POINTS WHEN WE WERE LOOKING AT CRV/RAV MADE US SHOOT INTO THE LOCAL SUBARU DEALER, AND WAIT ALMOST A MONTH FOR THE CAR, A LIMITED.

ABOUT A HALF YEAR INTO OWNERSHIP, MY WIFE NOTICED THE ENGINE OIL LIGHT ON, AND HAD TO FIND A SERVICE STATION LATE IN THE EVENING-WHICH WASN'T GIVING OUT SYNTHETIC. WE ASSUMED SHE'D NOT CHECKED OIL LEVELS SINCE LAST CHANGE, WHICH WAS TRUE. EVEN SO, THE CAR CONTINUES TO MUNCH OUT OIL, E.G LAST CHANGE WAS ABOUT 8 WEEKS AGO, AND WE WERE DOWN BY 3+ CONTAINERS WORTH ON OUR VACATION TRIP (LIGHT CAME ON SUDDENLY AND WENT OUT, SO WE DIDN'T THINK IT HUGE).

FACT IS, WE JUST HAD LOCAL SUB. DEALER START THE OIL CONSUMPTION TEST, AND HAVE TO GO BACK IN 1,200MI. MY FEAR IS THAT THIS CAR MIGHT MUNCH WAY MORE OIL LONG BEFORE THAT MILEAGE...GOTTA WATCH THAT DIPSTICK, WHICH I FIND ALMOST UNREADABLE (ONE SIDE CAN APPEAR FULL AND THE OTHER BELOW THE LOW=THE MANUAL EVEN STATES TO TAKE THE LOWER OF THE TWO AS FACT)!!!

WHERE IS THE DATA ON THIS CAR'S DEFECT RATE? WHY ISN'T THERE MORE NOISE THROUGH THE MEDIA? I HAVE TO SURF MORE, BUT I'M AFRAID I'M GOING TO LOSE THE "OIL" IN MY STOMACH AND PUKE ABOUT THIS!!

- , Natick, USA

Feb 112015

Forester Premium 2.5L

• CVT transmission

At approximately 20,000 miles, the low oil warning light came on while driving. Got the car home and checked the oil and it barely registered on the dipstick. Added a quart and that brought the level back to the normal operating mark on dipstick. It had only been 4,000 miles since my previous oil change. I had changed the oil at 16K and used Valvoline Synthetic 00W-20 as specified and replaced the oil filter with a Bosch filter.

Called the dealer the next day and after I informed them of the complaints on this website and the TSBs about excessive oil consumption, they had me bring the car in for an oil change so they could start their oil consumption test. At first they were going to charge me for the oil change but after discussion they decided Subaru could foot the bill. I go back at approx. 1,300 miles for them to check the oil.

Update from Feb 15, 2015: I've read on the internet that the issue could be the 0W-20 specified synthetic oil being so thin it gets past the rings and the issue isn't exactly with the car but the specified oil. 5W-30 was specified in the older 2.5L Subs. Using it in the newer subs. voids the warranty. Has anyone tried using a higher weight oil like 5W-30?

Update from Feb 16, 2016: My Subaru dealer (Bortz) replaced the short block approximately 6 months ago. After 6,000 miles the dipstick is still on full. So far , so good.

- , Washington, PA, USA

Apr 182014

Forester 2.5i Premium 2.5L

I bought my manual transmission 2014 Forester in March of 2014. Subaru replaced the short block in September of 2014 for excessive oil consumption, about 1 quart in 2000 miles. With the new short block the car is worse. It now burns 1 quart in 1300 miles. Waiting to hear back from Subaru. I don’t think Subaru really has a fix for this. Is anyone out there actually going the recommended change interval without having to add oil?

- , Fairport, NY, USA

Jul 022013

Forester 2.5L $ cyl

I leased Subaru Forester 2014 in July 2013. The Engine Oil warning lamp is on when the car has 2,600 mileage. Drove to dealer, dealer refill engine oil, about another 2,000 miles, engine oil low again.

Dealer pretend to help perform engine oil consumption test, I trusted the dealer. The first oil consumption test conclude my car never burnt any engine oil.

Engine oil warning lamp on again after about 2,000 miles, dealer persuade to perform engine oil consumption test again, I check the engine oil second day after the dealer top up, it is actually almost 1 inch over maximum.

Drive back, dealer denied, told me that I should start engine for a while and then stop engine and check immediately. After 1,200 miles go back, I was told another story on how to check engine oil. I should stop engine and wait for 5 minutes to check, the engine does not burn oil again.

The dealer keep playing with me, no where that can help to perform engine oil consumption test.

Bad luck on my first and last Subaru car.

- , Chestnut Hill, MA, USA

May 022014

• CVT transmission

New car. Checked my oil before my first oil change and saw that it was pretty low. Went in for my freebie oil change and was told that the issue was normal during the break-in period. I figured OK, it's a new vehicle. It's under warranty, it's my first Subaru, they know more than me.....let it go. Fast forward a couple months later (I use my car for work time to time, driving to different cities). Oil light comes on. I've consumed more than half my oil in half the time before the next change. Take it to the dealer and they add more. They said it's a known issue and adding oil "fixes it". My car shouldn't burn oil. I've NEVER owned a car that I had to add oil in between changes.

Jumped on here, read all the complaints. Called Subaru and got the run around with them wanting to run all the tests...........I traded it in for another brand the same day. Long term is out of the question. First and last Subaru.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Nov 112014

Forester 2.5I 2.5L

Opened up a claim immediately with Subaru. Scheduled oil consumption test. Dealer states 1 quart low is acceptable which is false. Subaru has a TSB and a fix for it which includes new piston, oil consumption rings, which they know are defective. Read of some dealers overfilling during changes. I suspect mine did as well.

- , Ocean City, NJ, USA

Oct 302014

Forester

After being denied an oil consumption test for about a year, despite the fact that I had to get 5 top offs during this time for a brand new car, Subaru finally agreed that I had a defective engine. They replaced it under warranty. The next day after picking up the car with the new engine block, the check the engine light went on. Dark emission was being released with a burnt smell and a horribly rattling engine. Service claims that this was due to a loose coolant hose that was overlooked prior to returning the car to me. It's hard to say if any further damage was incurred after driving an overheated engine (service center was closed when I needed to bring it in).

My experience has been dreadful. Neither the product nor the service of this company should be trusted.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 042014

Forester LS

I have owned cars all my life and never had this problem. I'm 64 and I do not drive like a bat out of hell. Car has 4300 miles and we have already had to add AT LEAST TWO QTS OF OIL! That is outrageous. For Subaru to suggest this is normal is like saying it is normal for the car to be broken.

- , Manassas, VA, US

Nov 052013

Forester 4 cyl 2.5L

At 3,500 miles the oil light came on in my Forester. I took the vehicle into the dealership and it had burned 1QT of oil. Every 1,200 miles (roughly) I would have to make my trip to the dealership as it would burn 1QT or more. At about 9,000 miles Subaru decided to pull my engine and replace the piston rings. At this point I was really hoping this was going to solve all of my issues. Within 1,500 miles on the new piston rings my oil light comes on again...at this point I am pretty excited I get to deal with trips to the dealership once a month. Of course they would like to run the oil consumption tests again...you know, to see if it is really burning that much oil again. At 19k miles Subaru decides to pull my engine and replace it with a brand new short block. I was happy with their decision, hoping that the oil consumption would be a problem of the past. The new engine felt great, quite a bit peppier than the original, and better gas mileage. The original engine was getting roughly 24 miles to the gallon with the new engine getting closer to 28 mpg. At 1,500 miles on the new engine...the oil light comes on yayy! We are starting the oil consumption tests once I reach 3k on the new engine.

- , Cameron Park, CA, USA

Jul 222013

Forester Premium 2.5L

Driving new vehicle (first and probably last Subaru) when oil light came on at about 3000mi. Now at 21500 and have added four quarts BETWEEN scheduled oil changes. Took to dealer in July 2014 and have commenced oil consumption test. Yesterday, after 2400 miles, they added a quart. Initially I was told that 1/3 qt consumption for 1000mi was normal. If that is the case, I am very sorry I bought this car. How much will it consume after 100k?

- , Worcester, MA, USA

May 292013

Forester 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I purchased a 2011 Subaru Forester, it had severe oil consumption issues. After many visits to the dealership with, two oil consumption tests, and much aggravation the dealer put in a new short block. During this time I asked continually about the catalytic converter and was told not to worry about that! Two days after I got the car back I was driving on a mountain road and the catalytic converter exploded shooting metal through the engine and out of the exhaust. Of course this left the car inoperable so it was towed back to the dealership.

I told the manager and owner I did not want the car back, I wanted to be reimbursed what I had paid for it and I was going to purchase another car. The owner said he could not do that but would make me a great deal on the new and improved 2014 Forester. With that being the option I took it. My 2014 Forester started with the oil consumption immediately. Every time I go in for service I complain about this issue. Yesterday, 7/21/14 at 3,000 miles after the last service and oil change my car needed a quart of oil! I called the dealer and here I go again, I have to do an oil consumption test.

- , Dunsmuir, CA, USA

Aug 032013

Forester Touring 2.5L

Low oil indication at 3500 KMS. I was 11 hours away from nearest Subaru dealer & had to wait 2 days to get 0W20 oil delivered to the rural community I was visiting.

- , Beaverbank, NS, canada

May 242014

• CVT transmission

We bought our 2014 2.5 Forester CVT last year when they first hit dealer showrooms. My wife uses it to commute to work 120 miles everyday of stop and go traffic.We now have almost 40,000 miles on it. Our problem is oil consumption.

We have it serviced at Subaru dealer every 5000 miles and use only Subaru products. At time of service I buy extra oil this, will keep it full until next service. I check the oil in my garage twice a week. I always try to keep the oil level on full. It is using 1 to 2 quarts of oil every 5000 miles. Oil consumption is worse on trips. High speed cruising (80mph) and mountain driving (higher rpm's) increase consumption. Example, just drove 850 miles in one day and used 1/2 quart of oil. At services I complain to dealer, they always say this is normal oil consumption. They also say some 2.5 engines consume extra oil and some don't. How is this not a problem?

In other words consider yourself lucky to get one of the good engines. They say we don't qualify for the oil consumption test, even if we did we are to far from dealer to do it.

Update from Jul 25, 2014: An update on our 2014 Subaru Forester mileage is 45208. Oil consumption has not changed using 2 quarts between oil changes. I'm having that noted on work order at dealer each time I have car serviced,they continue to tell me it's normal consumption. I have noticed the oil consumption is worse on trips, minimal usage around town driving. The higher amount of oil consumption is definitely related to higher r.p.m.'s. This first time my oil level light came on was on a trip. The car had 20,000 miles on it, was 3/4 qt. low. That is when I starting checking oil level weekly under normal use and daily when on a trip. We recently did a 1 day emergency trip (800 miles) avg. speed 70-80 mph car used 3/4 qt. of oil. Another 1 day trip of 350 miles to my sons college car used 1/2 qt. oil.

- , Charles Town, WV, USA