2015 Subaru Outback electrical problems: battery not keeping charge

Battery Not Keeping Charge

2015 Subaru Outback

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Subaru dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

6.0

2015 Subaru Outback electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Subaru Outback:

2015 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

May 032019

Outback Limited 2.5i

• CVT transmission

Bought 2015 Subaru Outback new. Loved the car. Had 30000 mile service in Oct 2018. Everything fine. Then in Feb, 2019, battery died suddenly. Had it replaced and paid for $304 for new battery. Then on April 27, it died again in my garage--with electronic parking brake on. Took two tow trucks with extended cable charges to get enough power to car to release the electronic brake. THERE IS NO MANUAL OVERRIDE (Not so smart Subaru techs). Then using screwdriver, was able to perform manual override on transmission to push out of garage. Had it towed to Subaru. They replaced battery again!

Now one week later, new battery died again. Stuck in my garage on a Friday night. Customer service said it could be the key fob draining the battery. I don't think so. No problems for 4 years, and now two bad batteries. After reading so many reviews, it is apparent Subaru has defective batteries, or bad sensors, or bad relays, or whatever. They should find a new manufacturer, increase the CCA, and issue a recall. I was such an advocate for Subaru after my 2015 purchase (having previously had a great Lexus RX 300 for 12 years). Now, I am expecting restitution and correction of this battery problem, or they will have lost what looked like a life-long customer. (Even convinced by daughter to buy a Subaru). Hope I don't regret it.

- Craig C., Monroe, NJ, US

Dec 262016

Outback

Two weeks ago, battery went dead. Tracked problem to rear hatch door locking issue (latch fouled by cargo netting). Recharged the battery, worked for a few days, then another dead battery. Recharged again, worked for one day. Recharged the battery again, but it would not take a charge, At no time during any of the recharges, did I notice any interior lights in the 'on' position. Called road service, who delivered the vehicle to the dealership. Dealership claimed they jump started the vehicle, and passed all the diagnostic tests. The battery retained a charge over the weekend. Brought it back home, and keeping my fingers crossed. Since I do not use the car on a regular basis, dealership advised I run the car for five minutes every few days. Wonder who will accomplish this task when I leave for an extended trip. May have to invest in a reliable battery booster kit.

- Randy T., Lacey, WA, US