7.2

$90

2016 Subaru Outback electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Subaru Outback:

2016 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Jul 162021

Outback 3.6L

• CVT transmission

This is approximately the 5th or 6th time I have come out to start my car and it is DEAD. No lights left on, or anything else to drain the battery. Took it to the dealer - they said everything is fine including the battery. If that's the case, why does this car go dead every so often?

- Camille F., Ridgefield, US

Feb 082021

Outback 3.2L

2016 Subaru Outback battery keeps dying. Lights if accidentally left on inside will cause this. This has now happened to us 7 times. We had the battery replaced for a higher quality battery but still have this issue.

- Dianne H., Moses Lake, WA, US

Aug 192020

Outback PZE 2.5L

Bought Subaru used from a dealer on 8/22/19 with 27,290 miles on it. It appeared to have a new battery from 2019. I got a dead battery several times and finally bought a new one. The battery place said the battery was ok that I bought it with but, sold me a new higher cranking battery...

Just 6 months later, the battery has drained 3 more times. I bought a battery starter for $130. I have used it several times on the new battery... I do not want to get stuck.

I looked it up on your site. Subaru needs to fix this problem. They have had lawsuits over this.

I noticed when it happened again tonight the radio light with the time is lit even though I can not unlock the doors the battery is so drained. This is dangerous.

Please contact me. I wonder if a class action suit is in order.

Lynne

- Lynne D., Prescott, AZ, US

Mar 222020

Outback Limited 2.5L

Once again, the battery is dead, the car was driven yesterday briefly and still woke up to dead frickin battery. Have called Subaru multiple time and still they're not willing to acknowledge the issue. Not what I expected from Subaru at all.

Jan 212020

Outback Limited 2.5L

didn't drive the car yesterday and woke up knowing the car would not turn over, dead battery. Died again!

Nov 192019

Outback Limited 2.5L

I have heard multiple car owners stating the same issue yet when I contact Subaru they refuse to acknowledge this is an issue. I have increased the CCA on the battery, make sure my key is nowhere to assist in draining. When I connect my jump box (which I now carry fully charged in my car) it reads my battery isn't dead at all.

This problem started in early 2019 then again in Nov 2019. I will continue to add the additional month basically if i don't drive the car every day, I know the following day I have to get a jump. I've gotten new batteries every time this has happened. Told the dealership and even if under warranty they simply replace the battery and the issue continues. At this point, I will be selling the car to avoid further issues.

Dec 012017

Outback Limited 3.6L

Known issue. The car draws more amps than the alternator can recharge the battery, so eventually you will have a dead battery. Took it in a couple times at Subaru of Gwinnett in GA. 1st visit, they said nothing was wrong. 2nd visit, battery was dead when they tried to start it, so they replaced battery with same battery and supposedly did a software update. Still having depleted battery, so I put a charger on it once a month. It will charge for 10 hours or longer each time. Have been doing this every month for 3 1/2 years.

Call Subaru @ Gwinnett now, their advise is to purchase a larger CCA aftermarket battery. Yes, you read that correctly. We at Subaru are not going to fix a known issue with our Outback’s electrical system...sorry. It’s your problem to solve. Installing a larger CCA battery only buys you more time between putting a charger on. Doesn’t solve the problem.

- Steve M., Dacula, GA, US

Oct 302019

• CVT transmission

Been happy with my 2016 Outback Limited / 2.5L 4-Cylinder DOHC. Then, over the past three 3 weeks I've required a jump start because of battery drain. The first time I blamed it on leaving the accessories on when parking for 3 minutes after turning car off. The second time I kept my foot on the brake petal a while after parking. The third time was yesterday. Colder weather has hit Minnesota. The factory battery is only 356 CCA, not enough for a Minnesota winter. After the third time I replaced the battery with 550 CCA. I suspect a new battery will help with adding dependability again, but suspect the problem of battery drain will continue because of the quick electrical draw.

- James K., Eden Prairie, MN, US

Sep 152018

Outback Premium 2.4L

• CVT transmission

It happened several times since middle of 2018. A typical case is that after I drive about 1 hour from home to my company with audio on, when I try to start the car before going home, it is difficult to start it, just like the battery is gone. Another case is that after driving 30 minutes, I waited for about 10 minutes in Costco gas station with car in idle, after refilled gas, the car almost cannot be started (hesitating start). Just have Walmart auto service check the issue, thought it must be a dead battery issue. But it came out that the battery is good! Now, I even dare not to listen any radio when I am driving. My Outback is even less than three years old! Will bring the car to dealership for further analysis.

- Qingjun Q., Dublin, CA, US

Sep 152018

Outback Limited 3.2L

Accidentally left the accessory switch on after stopping the engine. Tried to start about 20 minutes later, dead battery. Subaru roadside assistance was there in a short while. A jump started it right up. This could have been bad. Fortunately we had not locked the car. With the battery dead we could have not entered the car to a close windows (threatening rain) or gotten to the roadside assistance info in the glove box. Lesson learned put the info into the cellphone. Checked the owner’s manual. It says after an hour the accessory switch will turn itself off to save battery.

Took it to the dealership and this was the eye opener! They told us the battery will never last that hour. Customers are having this issue after only FIVE minutes of accessory power. The battery checked out as being fine. Service guy said they put in light duty batteries in order to decrease weight and help with gas mileage.

My confidence is this car is really shaken now. Thought the first incidence was just a fluke.

- Lynn O., Pine Island, US

May 312016

Outback Limited 3.2L

We were camping. I opened the tailgate and doors about an hour before we were to leave so the interior would cool down. No start. Dead battery. Out first call to Subaru Roadside Assistance. It started right up with a battery jump. Okay, maybe I did something wrong, but it seemed weird to have a new car and dead battery.

- Lynn O., Pine Island, US

May 032016

Outback 3.6L H6

• CVT transmission

Brand new 2016 Outback bought in 2/2016. Battery has died about 4 times over the last 15 months. they replaced battery after it happened the first time - still continues to happen.

Has about 11,000 miles currently, but problem started with under a 1000 miles on the vehicle.

- Samvid D., Detroit, MI, US

Apr 182017

Outback 25i Premium 4 cyl

My husband left the keys in the ignition but in the off position. this drains the battery. And when you drain the battery then the automatic window on the passenger side cannot be controlled by the driver and has to be reset.

- Hester J., Melstone, MT, US