7.1

2. repaint (1 reports)
2014 Toyota Camry body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Camry:

2014 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Oct 012018

Camry LE 2.5L

paint chipping paint chipping

The paint on our 2014 white Camry LE started coming off the back fenders (right next to the trunk lid) some time in Fall 2018, of course right after the warranty was over. Toyota dealer said: never seen this. Toyota customer service said: can't help you, warranty over.

Then I saw several other Camrys of the same model on the street with the same issue, all white. And today I found this site with several people having the same issue, all in the same spot. So this definitively has to be a production problem.

As other posters noted: this is very disappointing, especially from Toyota. I mean you buy a Toyota, because you think they are reliable and of high quality, and you would also expect that from Toyota customer service.

My guess is they hope they can ignore this and the problem will go away. But the more people with this problem come forward, the less likely they are to succeed with this. They know that the repair would be expensive: according to a body shop quote 2-3 K, because you have to strip off and repaint big parts of the car.

I am not going to pay that kind of money; Toyota should take care of it.

- Peter O., Rancho Cucamonga, US

Dec 122014

Camry LE 2.5L V4

click to see larger images

paint chipping paint chipping paint chipping

My Camry was manufactured Northern Kentucky assembled by Subaru of Indiana on Dec 2014. Our Camry was painted base coat clear coat. By the way the Base and Clear is de-laminating from the Primer you can tell this is definitely a paint failure. I work in the automotive paint industry. What's happening during the manufacturing process during time for painting is that Primer is being applied then the car is sitting for over 48 hours the window closes for any topcoat to stick . Then over time the paint start to lift off the primer.

We called Toyota first they had us take it to a Toyota Collision center for evaluation they measured the paint to see if it had been repainted previously. They took paint thickness measurements. what I also noted at this point is that in some parts the paint is very very thin. Well Toyota didn't care they just said its past the 36,000 mile 3 year warrant. Now I've noticed more Toyotas with this same problem and Camry's with paint peeling in the same location. Right and Left Quarter panels .

- Sabe N., Menifee, US

Dec 182018

Camry LE

paint chipping

My 2014.5 Toyota Camry is peeling it's white paint. In all the years I have owned 5 Toyotas all of them have been white none have peeled. I still have the 2001 white Camry and the paint is perfect! Toyota says they have no issues. I have an issue and I think they should stand by it and correct it. I can honestly say the next car I get will not be a Toyota!

- Jenny T., Cincinnati, OH, US

Apr 032017

Camry LE V6

click to see larger images

paint chipping paint chipping paint chipping paint chipping

April of last year I noticed paint chipping on both sides of the trunk. Over the year its been getting worse and worse. The car was purchased new. I scheduled an appointment to have them look at the paint job. A guy came out and checked the paint to make sure its the original paint job and after a few minutes another guy comes out looks at it and goes inside. A few minutes later he comes out and tells me the warranty on this car is expired 5 months ago. I thoughts its 3 years or 36,000 miles, but later I found out that it's which one comes first, which doesn't make any sense. Then while he was talking to us, he started peeling the paint off with his nail resulting in more damage and now I can see the paint off my white car with a black bare metal peeking through.

I called Toyota Customer Experience and explained the situation and received a claim number and they told me that someone will get back to me Thursday by the end of the business day. No one called, so I decided to call them. The representative asked me about the whole thing again and said warranty expired, there is nothing they can do. The paint job was done poorly and incorrectly and now I am driving a white new car with a black trunk.

I am furious that they brushes me off and are not concerned since they got their money. Can anyone advise me if there is something that can be done. Thanks.

- Lilia B., Philadelphia, US

Aug 142018

Camry L 3.2L

Recently I noticed that my paint was chipping around the outer edges of the trunk lid. Today I realized the paint is also chipping around the outer edges of the hood lid. I can see the gray base coat underneath. I have an appt tomorrow for an evaluation with my 75,000 mile check up. I have always owned a Toyota and love the quality. But now, I am disappointed in the quality of the paint. I will update as needed.

- Wendy K., Clermont, FL, US

May 022017

Camry XLE 2.5L

Paint at the edge of trunk is chipping away. Toyota dealer told me that this would not be covered under my extended bumper to bumper warranty and that I would need to address this issue with Toyota Corporate 800-331-4331.

- Nanette A., Ione, US

Jan 182017

Camry LE 4

paint at the edge of trunk and the hood is chipping away. Toyota dealer toled me to come back in a week so the agent from Toyota will be there to check it out. I need to know if anybody else have the same problem

- Frank Z., Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, US