- September 9: Gulf States Toyota Recalls Highlanders and Highlander Hybrids recalls | 12 days ago
- August 1: Toyota Dealer Roger Hogan Sues Toyota Over Recall Program news | 51 days ago
- July 25: Toyota Sienna Sliding Door Lawsuit Says Systems Are Defective news | 58 days ago
- July 22: Toyota Recalls Avalon Hybrid and Camry Hybrid recalls | 61 days ago
- July 20: Southeast Toyota Distributors Recalls Tacoma and 4Runner recalls | 63 days ago
2006 Toyota Camry
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: How can we give the 2006 Camry our "Seal of Awesome" when the NHTSA data shows engine problems in the triple digits & multiple deaths/injuries/crashes etc?
The problem with NHTSA data for the 2006 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.
So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.
In other words, it's our opinion that the 2 deaths & other injuries/fires/crashes reported to the NHTSA are significant, but (unfortunately) not out of the ordinary for any vehicle, once you factor in the effects of the extended national media coverage of Camry unintended acceleration issues.
CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2006 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.
Worst 2006 Camry Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- interior accessories problems15NHTSA complaints: 13
- engine problems11NHTSA complaints: 113
- steering problems4NHTSA complaints: 25
- cooling system problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 5
- AC / heater problems1
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 4
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 37
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 60
- electrical problemsNHTSA: 14
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 13
- transmission problemsNHTSA: 10
- body / paint problemsNHTSA: 10
- lights problemsNHTSA: 9
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 7
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 7
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 7
- windows / windshield problemsNHTSA: 5
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota Camry Model Years
Curious how the 2006 Camry compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota Camry overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Camry.