- January 10: Toyota and Lexus Recall 601,000 Vehicles to Replace Takata Inflators recalls | 6 days ago
- December 31: Toyota and Lexus Vehicles Recalled to Replace Load Labels recalls | 16 days ago
- December 14: Southeast Toyota Recalls 4Runners to Fix Grilles recalls | 33 days ago
- December 9: Toyota Soy Wiring Class-Action Lawsuit Filed in Massachusetts news | 38 days ago
- November 15: Toyota Recalls 40,000 Prius Plug-In Hybrids That Can Stall recalls | 62 days ago
2006 Toyota Camry
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: How can we give the 2006 Camry our "Seal of Awesome" when the NHTSA data shows engine problems in the triple digits & multiple deaths/injuries/crashes etc?
The problem with NHTSA data for the 2006 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.
So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.
In other words, it's our opinion that the 2 deaths & other injuries/fires/crashes reported to the NHTSA are significant, but (unfortunately) not out of the ordinary for any vehicle, once you factor in the effects of the extended national media coverage of Camry unintended acceleration issues.
CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2006 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.
Worst 2006 Camry Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- interior accessories problems17NHTSA complaints: 13
- engine problems12NHTSA complaints: 113
- steering problems4NHTSA complaints: 25
- suspension problems3NHTSA complaints: 5
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- cooling system problems2NHTSA complaints: 1
- AC / heater problems1
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 37
- windows / windshield problems1NHTSA complaints: 5
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 60
- electrical problemsNHTSA: 14
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 13
- transmission problemsNHTSA: 10
- body / paint problemsNHTSA: 10
- lights problemsNHTSA: 9
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 7
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 7
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 7
Stay Up to Date
Compare Toyota Camry Model Years
Curious how the 2006 Camry compares to other years?
Check out our Toyota Camry overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Camry.