2014 Toyota RAV4 accessories - interior problems: stereo not working

Stereo Not Working

2014 Toyota RAV4

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

8.0

$920

1. replace radio/navigation (12 reports)
  3. radio replaced free, out of warranty! (2 reports)
  4. replace audio/navigation head unti (1 reports)
2014 Toyota RAV4 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota RAV4:

2014 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Aug 092019

RAV4 Limited 2.5L

Add us to the list of disillusioned, saddened, 2014 Toyota Rav4 customers. Coming back from a long vacation last week our audio stopped working. Looks like it tries to reboot but cannot complete the task successfully. I see this s a somewhat common problem. I have an appointment with our local dealership a week from now but after reading the other complaints I am not too happy about the probable outcome. The dealership even called to say we needed a Master Technician to diagnose this problem and rescheduled our original appointment.

I took the proactive step of emailing Toyota in the hope they may be able to help us avoid a possible $1,100 repair for a relatively new car.

We are LONG time Toyota customers. Our last Rav4 was traded in prematurely with a differential problem so I'm not too happy this this 2014 Rav4 is having ANY problems.

Toyota Corporation are you listening! Unless you can help you are likely going to lose some loyal customers.

Update from Sep 3, 2019: Unfortunately the master mechanic at our local Toyota dealership told us our "head unit" is a complete loss and cannot be repaired. He told us they have never seen one do what ours was doing. To replace the head unit would cost $1100!!!

Fortunately my contact with Toyota customer care paid off. I referred Toyota Inc. to this website and a YouTube video which demonstrates the problem and told them that this problem is not that uncommon. Toyota came through by offering to pay $750 of the repair price. Which is better than nothing and we were grateful for the offer, however, I still think Toyota should cover the full cost of this repair since it is NOT a one off repair and is happening to many people.

I encourage those in this situation to contact Toyota at 800-331-4331 for help with this repair.

Good luck!

- Greg K., Christiansburg, VA, US

Aug 192019

RAV4 Limited 2.5L

August 19, a day after a 2hr road trip listening to XM and using the navigation system, My screen is black. The back up camera works just fine but I can't get my radio to accept a cd or power on in anyway. Does someone have a fix to help me out?

- kj44316, North Canton, US

Oct 262018

RAV4 Limited

My 2014 Rav4 Limited Radio software bricked. The radio turns on and keeps loading over and over again till it finally turns off so the radio, USB port, and all phone options do not function anymore. I have disconnected the battery, tried to load new software and brought it to the Toyota dealership for them to tell me that I need a new radio. I expected better from a Toyota.

- Lauren H., Cary, US

Nov 142018

RAV4 LE

I called Corporate Toyota and asked if they would help cover the cost of the repairs or a new radio. They said that I need to take it to a local Toyota dealership to get a diagnosis on it to see what the exacted problem is. It is going to cost me $125 to do that and I would have to pay that first then Corporate would determine how much they would assist. This is probably our 8TH TOYOTA in the family and was thinking of BUYING A TUNDRA NEXT, BUT I AM HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS. Toyota is better than this. Can we get this processed for a recall and have TOYOTA cover it all? I didn't realize so many other people have had the same problem. Thank you all for posting.

- Izzy K., San Jacinto, CA, US

Oct 202018

RAV4

My navigation system stopped working along with my whole radio system looks like it’s trying to reload , I did a search on the internet and to my surprise there are a great deal of people reporting the same problem with the 2014 cars it’s been reported as a RELOAD LOOPING PROBLEM and it seem that it’s not fixable. Toyota corp. told me to take in it and get it checked to see what the problem was ,I did and was told it was an internal problem and would need to be replaced cost 105.00 to get it checked and was told it would cost over 1200.00 to replace . I called Main office and let them know they contacted the dealer ship called me back and said they would give me 300.00 on the repair which would leave over 900.00 for me to pay .I have always owned a Toyota I purchased my Rav4 at Beaman Toyota in Nashville TN ,right off the car hauler before that I purchased a new 2011 Camry from Rivergate Toyota in Madison TN. And before that I owned a 1999 Camry I drove with no problems until last year with over 400000 miles .It’s always been Toyota all the way for me now not so sure with all these complaints.

Update from Nov 8, 2018: Everyone that has a Face book account needs to post on Toyota's Facebook page ,see what others have to say...

- Joyce G., cottontown, TN, US

Dec 042018

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

click to see larger images

stereo not working

I had my oil changed on Monday. Tuesday I drove to work and back no problem. Tuesday night I get in the car and start it up - the screen where I would select audio, apps or home is not working and appears to be stuck in an infinite loop of trying to start up. I had never seen this screen before and based on the complaints I am seeing on this website I am not alone. It just stopped for no reason.

I took it to the dealer and was given a quote of $1,100 to replace the unit.

This is my 3rd Toyota and I am so disappointed. I have never had any issues with my other 2 cars - just maintain, oil change and new tires as needed. That is what I expect from Toyota and to have the radio go out with only 70,000 miles is unacceptable.

To be told it is not covered under warranty because it is considered a nice to have (not the exact words used by the dealer but basically it's what they were saying) is also unacceptable.

I will contact customer care and see what can be done but am not holding out much hope. My loyalty to Toyota as a reliable brand has been tarnished. Very sad. :(

- Meredith S., Overland Park, KS, US

Oct 202018

RAV4 XLE V6

Car stereo is a pain in the ass! Never worked right! Problem changing to audio, apps, changing stations. I would bring it in and of course it doesn’t do it. They say bring back when it’s doing it. That’s a joke!! It would be there. 3x a week. What possible issues could be for the stereo not to work? This is a flaw in this stereo. This should be under warranty. I’ve had many cars, never a stereo issue!? I’ve never heard of a stereo trying to downloading new data causing stereo to not work at all. Can’t use cd’s or Bluetooth.

- Cathy R., Gilroy, US

Aug 232018

click to see larger images

stereo not working

I always consider Toyota has the best quality of their car. I bought this Toyota RAV4 2014 in March 2014 now it is over 4 years and the standard warranty is expired. This is my first Toyota and I can't believe the Radio just stopped working on 8/23/2018. The radio is just rebooting in loop and now I lost the radio, phone connection and everything. I went to dealer on 8/24/2018 and their only recommendation is to replace it at the cost at over $11,000.

I have never heard anyone close to me ever have a radio problem with their car. Shame on Toyota with such brand name and can't even straight up with the radio system. Shame shame and shame to let the Toyota owners to pay over $1,000 to repair the stupid and low quality of Toyota's radio. Also, based on the complains online, it seems more 2014 Toyota owners have the radio problem.

Sorry my next car will not be Toyota again unless they will fix this stupid radio problem. It is not worth to have a car with just a stupid radio issue. Shame on Toyota.

- Linda L., Norcross, US

Apr 282018

RAV4 Limited 4 Cy

I bought the 2014 Rav4 in November 2017 at Toyota of Cool Springs in Franklin, TN. It had 85,000 miles on it or thereabouts. 5 months later the radio completely stops working. No navigation, no radio, the steering wheel controls do not work. The backup camera works but nothing else. A radio swap out, for just the radio, will be $700 not counting labor. CRAZY. This is my 3rd Toyota. The other Toyotas never caused me issues of any kinds. One of those still runs great with over 400,000 miles. Just general maintenance on both of those. I bought this one and here we are. A radio that costs $1,000 to repair on a car that is 4 years old. How dare they. I am just sick. I will think better the next time before I purchase a Toyota.

- Monty M., Bowling Green, KY, US

Mar 122018

RAV4 XLE

This is my first Toyota ever. I've had it exactly 4 years. A couple of weeks ago my stereo went out without warning. My husband spent 1.5 hours going over every fuse. None blown. I took it to Joseph Toyota of Cincinnati (where bought) and was told "it happens, it's electronics". That is a disappointing answer. I've recently retired and this is supposed to be my forever car. Never would have imagined I'd have to spend ~$1000 to replace a stereo system on a car with only 39,000 miles. My next step is to complain directly to Toyota. Not sure it will help, but as someone else mentioned, if there are enough complaints, maybe Toyota will step up. At this time, I DO NOT recommend Toyota.

- Lisa B., Cincinnati, OH, US

Jan 042018

RAV4 Limited 2.5L

We purchased a Certified Used 2014 Rav4 12/23/16. In Jan. 2018 (just over 1 year) the audio/navigation system began what appears to be rebooting over & over again. We took it into a nearby dealership & they tried to reinstall the system software but it wouldn’t work. We then took it to the dealership that we purchased it from. They too tried to reinstall the software without success. Bottom line – $1500.00 replacement out of pocket (no extended warranty)! We were told by the parts dept. that the replacement would only be warrantied for 12 months/12,000 miles, which is less than 6 months driving for us. Insult to injury the part wouldn’t be new but a refurbished unit!

After doing research we see that this is a very common defect with the audio/navigation system. It is disappointing that Toyota hasn’t come up with a better solution than to replace it with a refurbished system that will no doubt eventually do the same thing! We purchased a Toyota based on its reputation of using quality products that lasts. Today, we are questioning this reputation.

We called the Toyota Customer Experience dept. but no solution was offered us. Today we sent an email to Toyota using the link provided on this site. Hopefully we'll get a solution that will keep the Toyota reputation in good accord.

- Bob S., Pendleton, OR, US

Oct 252017

RAV4 XLE AWD 2.5L

My 2014 RAV4 only has 41,000 miles (approximately). The entire radio system died suddenly without warning. the radio is dead, phone and voice command is dead, the navigation system is dead. The only thing that works is the backup camera.

My wife took the car to the dealer and was told it was an internal failure (at 4 years!), was out of warranty and would cost $1100 to replace.

Toyota Customer Care offered little help, stating the obvious that the radio system was out of warranty, but could not offer any explanations why the radio system would fail prematurely and without warning.

We were loyal Volvo owners for almost 20 years, but traded both cars in for what we thought would be a reliable retirement car, especially after reading great reviews (customer and magazine) and ratings from Consumer Reports.

- Myles S., Nashville, US

Jun 012017

RAV4

Beyond frustrated. Have been a loyal Toyota customer for over 25yrs and finally broke down and purchased my very first new car. Of course as soon as factory warranty is expired, terrible trouble with USB port and radio and navigation. Video recorded all the issues and brought video to local dealer where they felt it needed an update would would cost $120 and would take 2hrs. They called me 6hrs later stating the update wouldn't take due to "internal radio error" and only solution is $1450 new radio. Really, new radio for a new car from a very reputable company? Yeah I could've purchased an extended warranty for $3000 and then paid a deductible then it would cover this problem but with Toyota always being such an excellent company we didn't have any worry that we would need it since their products are usually so great. Will be last new Toyota we ever purchase.

- Leah G., West Fargo, ND, US

Dec 232016

RAV4 Limited

Loved Toyota....until now. I have a 2004 Toyota Camry with 220k miles and no problems decided to buy a Rav 4 Limited in August 2016 and in December 2016 at 38k miles the Radio and Navigation system went out. Called Toyota's main office explained the problem and they told me in order for them to "possibly" help I would need to go to a Toyota Dealer for an "official diagnosis". Spent 2 hours at the dealership and $100 to get an "official diagnosis". My explanation of the problem not surprising was the same as "official diagnosis". Called Toyota's main office back and guess what..."Sorry, we can't help you because your warranty ended at 36k miles" Remedy replace the Radio for $1,450 on top of the $100 I wasted on an "official diagnosis"...never thought of buying another make because of the positive experience with my Camry...will certainly think twice about recommending a Toyota

- rsbailey95, Litit, US

Aug 312016

RAV4

We've had this car for exactly 2 years and the radio stopped working. At times it will work but randomly change the station on its own. The touch screen works about 2% of the time. And the radio dials do not work. So if the radio is actually working, you are stuck listening to whatever station is on. The stereo controls on the steering work completely don't work. Since we are just barely over the miles covered under the warranty, Toyota says it's not their problem and we will need to pay to fix it. With a car that's only 2 years old, it seems like the radio should still be working. Googled the problem and we are not alone. It seems like some sort of faulty equipment that definitely makes me NEVER want to purchase a toyota again!

- SAra S., Downers Grove, IL, US

Apr 072016

RAV4 XLE

I got out of my car to drop something off, got back in and my radio and complete touch screen went out, there was a picture up on the screen as if it were reloading something but it never came back on. I purchased my Rav4 brand new and the next day would have just been 2 years of having it. I called the dealer to make an appointment (Victory of Canton) the next am when I saw the issue had not corrected itself and the idiot made me wait until Tuesday not to mention this was Friday am. He never offered me a rental and even after saying I work midnights and am a nurse and drive freeways he just laughed and said oh I guess its going to be a long weekend. We also had a snow storm that whole weekend and I had no hazard lights either.

Long story short when I came in on Tuesday they disconnected my battery and it didn't work and I had to tell them to check the fuses but that didn't work. He wanted to charge me 157.00 to fix it even though they had no clue what it was. I said no way this car is just 2 years old and because I'm over 36,000 miles I have to pay for something that's obviously a Toyota defect. I left the car and called Toyota who informed me I had an extended warranty and it would be covered, the dealer should have known this. Longer story short this idiot couldn't determine the issue and said a new system must be ordered due to "internal failures", he was going to give me my car back until the part came in I told him no are you crazy, I drove in a snow storm without use of my electric system for a weekend you will not do this to me again.

I had to report him again to Toyota who stated I had rental coverage as well for this issue. I ended up with a rental and GUESS WHAT!!! It took 8 days from start to finish for the dealer to rectify this issue, thank God I protested to get a rental or I would have been driving around with no electronic system. and GUESS WHAT ELSE?? that 157.00 went to 1025.00 all covered by Toyota but only after I had to do my own investigating and calling. The service rep was new apparently as I have never experienced service from Toyota like this, I was and still am highly disappointed in this Rav 4. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have the extended warranty the system was 743.75 just for the part. This is not right there needs to be a recall I have never had a radio and navigation screen go out in a brand new car and be told I have to pay for it because I am over 36,000 miles who cares its a new car. There are lots of things about this SUV I don't like and I will be getting rid of it by January. My advice is to chose another Toyota vehicle this is not good.

- quiona76, Canton, MI, US

Mar 052016

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

Our RAV4 is 2yrs and 2mo old with a little over 39k miles. So its out of warranty, but the JBL stereo stopped working. It goes into a reboot then cycles off over and over. The dealer where we purchased the vehicle new, Ray Skillman Toyota in Indianapolis, IN. Quoted a price of $915 labor and material. This is unacceptable!

Update from Apr 7, 2016: Our dealer offered to replace for $915, I sent a complaint to Toyota, they agreed that we didn't get what we paid for (their exact words) it has been replaced for $0 and I am extremely satisfied, that is what I expected.

- Scott C., New Palestine, IN, US

Jun 142015

RAV4 LIMITED4 4 cyl

This is my 3rd stereo in my 2014 RAV4 ...I believe the problem is a wiring problem, not an issue with the stereo itself..instead of doing some good old mechanical investigation, they use a computer....that's all anybody seems to know.....guess you don't even need a mechanical license to work at Toyota dealership....garbage, complete garbage.

- Cheryl F., Oakville, ON, Canada