2005 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sienna:

2005 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

Mar 102011

Sienna 6-cyl

The drivers side door mount has failed. It "clunks" as it opens. This is a factory defect the manufacturer is aware of. Toyota issued a "warranty enhancement" offering to fix the problem if the failure occurred prior to 5yrs/100,000 miles. The failure of the mount could result in injury as the door will begin swinging freely. We were told that our door replacement wouldn't be covered because we'd had our car for 5 yrs, 6 mos. Finally, I was able to get Toyota to cover the parts, but not the labor. Why would there be any limit on the repair of a factory defect? driving with the door as they installed it isn't safe but to have the door replaced is cost prohibitive, especially when you consider it was made this way and we did absolutely nothing to cause the failure, nor could any maintenance have prevented it. It was a defect that was caused by the manufacturer, for which they now refuse to take full responsibility.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 012010

Sienna 6-cyl

2005 Toyota Sienna driver and passenger doors getting stuck on jamb. This is a very serious safety issue as the driver was not able to open the door from inside and had to seek help from someone outside to open the door from outside. Toyotoa representative told that you should be able to roll the window and open the door.. but that is not possibel since a force is required to open the door. Both panels are popping out and gettijng stuck on the jamb of the car and the insulation mareials are cloming out. Toyota even when having so many quality issues, do not want to take responsibility of this and fix the issue claiming that the vehicle is already out of warranty and they cannot do anyting.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Jan 022011

Sienna 6-cyl

Drivers side door check failure. Door swung back. On review with Toyota, they said the door check weld failed and causes door to swing. Vehicle has warranty by miles but not by years. My vehicle is 6 yrs and 78500 miles. Extended warranty covers for only 5 yrs or 100,000 miles. Toyota refuses to fix this under warranty. This is a manufacturing defect and will probably cause injury if not corrected.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Aug 012010

2005 Sienna van - purchased new; the driver's side door started popping when it would be opened and closed. The welds had broken and the entire closing mechanism had to be re-welded. The van has not been misused and this should not have happened.

- Moores Hill, IN, USA

Aug 142010

Cable for driver's side power sliding door broke, rendering the door completely inoperable. This door is now completely unusable; it will not open or close manually or with the power operation. This would be a significant safety issue in an accident or other emergency situation.

- Cabot, AR, USA

Apr 162010

I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna with 55K miles. I bought new and have had all service completed at the Toyota dealer. At apx 50K miles the sliding door cable on the driver's side power passenger door started to fray and make a crackling noise as it opens and closes. After doing my internet research and reading many horror stories about the door not opening, falling off its tracks and potentially trapping children inside in the event of an accident I took the van to the dealer on 4/16/2010 for repair and its 55K service. The dealer declared that this was not covered under any warranty or recall notice and that the estimate to repair was $2028. There are two sliding doors so this would cost over $4000 to repair once the second one goes out. This is obviously a design flaw in that such a high use item on the vehicle has worn out after only 55,000 miles. If this was designed as something that was expected to wear out, like tires, brakes and oil, why is it so difficult and expensive to repair. Please research and advise.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 112010

The weld on the drivers side door has come loose. It is the weld that holds the bracket which is attached to the hinge which controls the door stopping at certain intervals when opening and closing it. This is a safety issue with respect to opening and closing the door along streets as well as an issue in the wind. The door could be damaged along with injury to the driver. The door still opens and closes, but pops loudly when using it. There are many posts concerning this problem on the internet. Seems Toyota has ignored it over the years.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 262010

Our passenger side automatic sliding door failed ~3 wks ago. At ~ 6┐ open, it stopped and wouldn't open or close any further. My daughter tried several times to open the door until finally giving up. This wasn't an emergency situation and she wasn't in a panic but what if the other door had failed as well, w/O warning" would she have the time, composure, and ability to climb over the front seats to get out one of those doors in an emergency? how much time might be wasted trying to open & escape thru a partially opened door" I┐M told that fixing the door could cost from $1200 - $2000, but disabling the automatic feature (converting to manual) is cheaper. I suspect many will do this, but can a small child open these big doors that were designed for auto operation" this morning, the driver side door failed to open at all, but the ┐door open┐ warning sounded. Attempts to open or close further were futile but depressing the ┐manual door op┐ button did silence the alarm. Is the door latched or not? is my 7-passenger van now only safe for 2? we've owned our van for 4.5 years and ~87K mi - includes long distance miles that don┐T correlate to door use. Is it too much to expect a van's doors to operate beyond the warranty period? should there be a disclaimer that its doors may become unusable after 4 years, and a caution that it may transform into a potential tomb w/O notice" upon inspection of the passenger door [opening/closing] motor assembly, the door cable's plastic sheathing was shredded and the cable was mangled/tangled around the plastic pulley ass┐Y. this door has been used normally, in a southern climate, and has not experienced any external impact or damage otherwise. The driver side door started working this afternoon, albeit slowly, once the temp. Warmed above an unusual 32F experienced this morning. A complaint was filed with Toyota customer relations who indicated there are no recalls & suggested I attempt resolution with the local dealer.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jul 012009

With my 2005 Toyota Sienna xle fwd 1. the power sliding doors in both driver's and passenger's side won't close fully. 2. from some 6 month ago, once in a while(roughly monthly) the doors won't close fully and now the cable of one door snapped and the door is not opening. 3. when the door is not closing fully, I had to help the door close fully. But now passenger side door is not opening so that I locked that door without using it. And I have to open the other side door for my kids to get in and out to the road side and it makes me feel uncomfortable sometimes.

- Milpitas, CA, USA

Jan 032010

The passenger side automatic sliding door failed in a midway position and therefore, will not open or close.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 202009

The passenger side power slide door locked up due to a cable that rusted and fell apart. The door will only open about 6 inches on the manual setting; not enough to enter or exit the vehicle.

- Canajoharie, NY, USA

Jul 252009

We have a 2005 Toyota Sienna and the passenger side power sliding door will not open or close on its own. There are 4 ways to engage, 1) on the key-fob, 2) a button overhead, 3) a button on the B-pillar, or 4) pulling the handle like you're opening manually. The only way to get the door open now is to disable the power door function and use it only manual.

- Uniontown, OH, USA

May 012006

Power sliding door on passenger side of 2005 Toyota Sienna xle minivan does not open.

- Kingstonp, PA, USA

Aug 062009

2005 Toyota Sienna - the sliding door motor failed leaving the sliding door jammed in an open position. We have three small children that we had to get home with the door jammed in the open position. Now, the door can be manually opened and closed by an adult on a level on a level incline. On an unlevel incline, it is difficult for an adult and not possible for a child, making it a hazard if a child were to attempt to operate the door. The quoted cost to fix the motor was $1900 for parts and labor.

- Davidson, NC, USA

Jun 192009

Toyota Sienna passenger sliding power door was opened by push-button automation. When the door was closed using the same method the door did not close and the cable, used to pull the door open and closed, snapped producing a loud pop. I was not standing next to the door so there was no injury sustained but a safety hazard seemed possible. The motor, cable and pulley system was completely replaced at my sole cost even though damage was not done by any fault of my own and the vehicle was only four years old (2005) with approximately 50K miles of wear and consistent maintenance.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Apr 182009

2005 Toyota Sienna ce, manual rear lift gate struts have failed, will no longer hold the lift gate open. Toyota sent out a notice for power lift gates with the same problem. I took this complaint to my local dealership and they stated that my VIN number was not included in the notice, I then proceeded to address the issue to Toyota corporation and they have declined my request to replace a part that is defective according to the service manager at the dealership. I am really disappointed at the fact that you have to spend more money to buy a more expensive version of this vehicle to get taken care of. We are fortunate that this did not result in any injuries, as this door almost fell on my 3 year old child while I was holding it up and he was helping me remove some stuff from the back.

- Sault Ste Marie, 00, USA

Apr 292009

For 2005 Toyota Sienna facing problem with right side power sliding door. Went to dealer and was told that the cables which actuate door movement are binding and striking out of tracts. New motor/cable assembly is required to repair the door. The total cost for door replacement is around $1700 + labor. It seems this is a recurring problem with 2004/2005 Toyota Siennas and Toyota has not acknowledged this to be an issue. A lot of Sienna owners have contacted Toyota in the past and the response from Toyota has been different with each person. Can this issue be taken with Toyota motor so that a recall is issued and Toyota accepts responsibility for flawed design.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Feb 012009

The driver's side car door of my 2005 Toyota Sienna van makes a loud popping noise when it is opened. The middle hinge is pulling the car body frame out. I have read that this is a welding problem on the part of Toyota. Toyota has refused to fix this problem or issue a recall as I am over their mileage by 9K but I never received any notification of this problem in the mail. The drivers side door hinge has become dangerously loose from the metal door frame.

- Morrow, OH, USA

Feb 062009

My 2005 Toyota xle limited, driver's side sliding door stopped working. During this winter, it's frozen few times and went back to normal working condition and finally today it's stopped working properly. On open button the motor seems to work, however, I need to slide to few inches to make it work, and same to closing the door I need to slide few inches or more to make it work.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

Dec 102008

2005 Sienna. Passenger sliding door is not opening or closing electronically. It will open and close manually with no apparent obstruction. When attempting to use the key fob or buttons inside the van, we hear the motor make a straining noise and a click, yet the door doesn't move. This has happened before twice, yet seemed to correct itself before I took it to the shop. Now we are 6 months out of warranty and I'm annoyed that it is happening again. Right now, my 6 kids get in and out of the car on the driver's side, which is very inconvenient as it is on the street side as opposed to the curb side of the car. Being a manual door requires me to exit the car also to assist with the door opening/closing.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA