ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

7.2

$1,160

1. replace seal or entire rack and pinion unit (15 reports)
2006 Toyota Sienna steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Jul 182018

Sienna SE 3.3L V6

Bad leaks on garage floor. I have had other cars with many more miles that never had this problem.

- Steve B., Folsom, CA, US

Aug 102010

Sienna

On a routine maintenance visit, when the car was less than 5 years old, we were told we needed to replace the rack and pinion. Which we did. Now, about 8 years and 80K miles later, told it needs to be replaced again. Obviously sub-quality or defective on the part of Toyota. I shouldn't have to replace the rack & pinion twice in 13 years / 120K miles. Also, while I'm on a Toyota rant, BOTH front automatic windows have needed to be repaired.

- Cathy R., Seattle, WA, US

Aug 062011

Sienna XLE V6 3.3L

The power steering rack fails at 62,000 mile. We paid $150 since we had extended warranty. The power steering 's pump failed and return line leaked recently at 158,000 miles. We paid $1,500 to fix it. There was a screeching noise associated with it. We mentioned it Toyota dealership. They told us that the noise issue was caused by the power steering and can be resolved with new a new power steering system. Well, they were wrong. The noise was there after we spent $1,500. We took our car to a different mechanic and learned that it's the transmission. Had we known there was also a transmission issue, we wouldn't have spent $1,500 on the power steering.

- Sherry C., Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 012014

Sienna CE 3.3L

This Sienna was bought new with 5 miles. Kept in a garage most of the time. While changing the oil, I notice a leak at the boot. Took it to the Toyota dealer which told me that the boot failed and the whole pack and pinion needed to be replace at a cost of $1300.00 plus $80 for alignment work. I'm amazed that other owners are having the same problem and because this could be a dangerous situation, they should recall this problem.

- macol0068, Apopka, FL, USA

Oct 012014

Sienna LE V6

Toyota defect. Replaced rack and pinion with rebuilt unit. Spoke to rebuilder that does hundreds of these. Said seal on passenger side fails due to excessive heat on passenger side. Aftermarket rebuilder puts better seal than factory. Common failure after 60k. I personally saw others with same issue. Camry also. Toyota quality is gone.

- Dennis K., Round Lake, UK

Mar 082016

Sienna XLE 3.3L V6

During a semi-annual service check at our frequented Toyota Dealership, the certified Toyota mechanic pointed out (car was on a lift) leaking Power Transmission Fluid from the right and left dust boots covering the right and left tie rod ends. We were informed the seals cannot be replaced on the tie rod Ends and the entire Tie Rod assembly must be replaced ($1160 plus 6% tax) plus another wheel alignment (last one performed October 15, 2015). The 2006 Sienna XLE was purchased new in January, 2016, maintained by the same Toyota dealership on scheduled intervals, was garage kept since original purchase, and was gently driven by two retired senior citizens.

Previously, we have been affected by other complaints nationally voiced by other Sienna owners with our 2006 Sienna XLE.

1. The common broken door hinge on the driver side of many yearly model Siennas (More than $200 consumer repair).

2. The recalled spare tire holder (Took more than a year to repair - had to drive with the spare tire anchored to the driver side 3rd rear seat well and lost storage space).

3. Jammed seat belts where they could not be used (Consumer repair, but now covered by a recall).

This is one more simple problem with an major consumer expense unaddressed by Toyota causing me to question Toyota quality, We and our children have been loyal Toyota customers beginning in 1969. Never have we personally experienced or seen the volume of issues on our Sienna - and also our daughter's 2004 Sienna - in our past Toyota owner-ships.

- Tom L., Rehoboth Beach, DE, USA

Jan 132012

Sienna LE 3.3L V6

This problem started at 61683 miles in Jan 2012. This is a very common problem, but it is very dangerous too. Can cause a severe accident when the steering will freeze up eventually due to debris getting into the rack due to the leak - imagine this happens when turning.

Almost all Sienna owners from 2004 to 2010 models have this problem, it usually starts around 60K miles.

Dealer wanted $1300 to fix this. I am surprised Toyota has been able to get away without initiating a recall for this issue. Considering how prevalent this issue is, I wonder if there are any class action lawsuits for this problem.

I have not gotten this fixed yet and waiting for the eventual recall.

- 2006 S., Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 012015

Sienna

This leak is found by taking off wheel to check brakes. $1200 job.

- Greg W., Palos Hills, IL, USA

Jul 192014

Sienna Limited 3.3L V6

Even though there was no fluid found, the dealer told me there was a leak in the R&P and it should be replaced. I've owned many Toyota's and Honda's and have never seen the company not take at least partial responsibility for such an obvious lack of quality in the product. Sad.

- Terry G., Jonesboro, AR, USA

Apr 222014

Sienna XLE

I'm having the same problem that it seems everyone is having: Rack and pinion steering leak. I was searching for the part online and I found that many people are having the same issue.

- conquistador, Indiana, PA, USA

Jan 062013

Sienna LE V6

Failed safety inspection due to steering fluid leak. There was hardly low on the steering fluid. The estimate average $1100 for the rack, flush and alignment. This defeats the reason we bought a Toyota. We thought this car would have better reliability than other cars, but it has the same old problems.

- N M., Chantilly, VA, USA

Dec 202012

Sienna AWD V6

Why should this happen with low milage. Dealer and Toyota will not talk about it.

- Daniel S., Hartsville, PA, USA

Dec 172011

Sienna CE 3.3L V6

At just over 50,000 miles the steering rack should not be leaking. The dealer quotes a repair fee of $1,300 which BTW is approximately $300-$400 more than an independent mechanic.

- blb13, Winter Springs, FL, USA

Dec 132011

Sienna CE V6

Went to have an oil change and they told me the power steering rack is leaking and needs to be replaced. Estimated cost is $1300.00.

This car has too many issues. Before I didn't bother to report but now I decided to take action.

- fromseattle, Bellevue, WA, USA

Mar 202010

Sienna LE 3.3L V6

Apparently a very common problem with Sienna. Right side rubber seal on rack and pinion unit tears allowing grit and debris to wear on pinion. No shop will just replace the rubber seal which is like a $15 part. They all quote a $1000 repair to replace entire rack and pinion unit.

- sooner4x4, Edmond, OK, USA