2012 Toyota Tundra exhaust system problems: air induction pump (aip) stopped working

Air Induction Pump (Aip) Stopped Working

2012 Toyota Tundra

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

8.0

$3,150

1. replace pump (5 reports)
  3. replace air injection system (1 reports)
2012 Toyota Tundra exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota Tundra:

2012 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Dec 072018

Tundra SR5 4.6L V8

I bought my Tundra one week ago and now the Check engine light is on, the code is P0418. But I don't know if is the pump or the relay.

- Manuel G., Reading, PA, US

Jun 082018

Tundra 4.6L V8

click to see larger images

air induction pump (aip) stopped working

Got a check engine light and the P0418 code. Researched this and found a lot of issues on older Tundras where they extended the warranty because of a faulty design or construction. Took it to Alamo Toyota and they said it the 2012 Tundra was not covered. They gave me an estimate of $3300 to repair. This is ridiculous for a system that is part of emissions control. I would like to see Toyota extend the warranty to the 2012 Tundras since they know it is a continuing issue with their design.

- Dave H., San Antonio, TX, US

Feb 232018

Tundra 4.6L V8

Yet another Tundra with the AIP failure, a 2012 model which had the modified intake pipes to eliminate the problem. Never mind the fact that it's not sucking up rain water that is the issue, it's condensation. I'll give the dealer credit, they contacted the home office to try and get it covered. Of course the home office said, "No". Oh, and the service manager told me her 2013 Tundra recently had the issue as well.

So now I'm stuck with two options. Use the bypass, violating Federal law or fix it. And I'll be filing a complaint with the EPA as well.

- Michael H., Baton Rouge, US

Jul 082017

Tundra 4.6L V8

I believe that this kind of issue is under manufacturer issue, that needs to be recall. It is not about wear and tear, it is about the quality of work.

- war emblem, Houston, US

May 142017

Tundra 5.7L

This is a problem that Toyota apparently knew about on the 2008-2010 Tundra's and extended the warranties on those vehicles. According to the service manager at my local Toyota dealership, the problem still exists on 2011 & 2012 models. I called Toyota Corporate to complain, but Toyota denied to me that it is still an issue.

I have owned Toyota vehicles in some form since 1995 and have always believed that they built good reliable vehicles that you could count on. APPARENTLY NOT ANYMORE. I guess I will have to look to other manufacturer's instead of Toyota!

- Kelly R., Lafayette, LA, USA

Aug 312016

Tundra 4.6L V8

I wanted a Toyota for ever, because of the reliability, reputation and look. The cost will be 2500.00, almost a year of truck notes for me, I am devastated! I have it at Toyota dealership now and waiting of price and if any assistance will be given. I am praying there will be help, because of the issue in the 2010 tundra's and older have recall on the same issue and parts. The AIP, air injection pump is bad, I almost didn't make it to dealer, the truck would not let me go but 40 mph at times, I had to use the back roads. I will keep you informed, and other tundra owners should report, hopefully 2012 will also become a recall year.

- Dawn P., Mobile, AL, USA

Jan 092013

Tundra SR5 5.7L V8

Toyota has known about this issue since 2007. They redesigned the system in 2011 and it's now even worse if you live in a cold climate. First below zero day we had and mine went out. 2 days at the dealer to fix a damn emissions piece. How do they still have the same problem that the truck had in 2007? Not impressed.

- Wes C., Great Falls, MT, USA