ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2014 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota Tundra:

2014 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Dec 152017

Tundra

Toyota - defective plastic materials used: The driver side mirror and wheel well melted from the sun while parked in my driveway. Toyota failed to use quality plastic material without uv protection and a higher enough melting threshold, which resulted in the driver side mirror and wheel flair melting from heat of sun. Under no circumstance, should sun heat melt a car part which should be designed to withstand sun heat outside. I contacted Toyota North America regarding this matter. I informed Toyota na that I purchased the truck in September 2017 and that the drivers side mirror and wheel flair melted in my driveway. The company offered to pay $200 for an $850 repair. I request full replacement and repair of my Toyota Tundra 2014, plus damages of $2,400 due to the time from work that was required to address this matter with the dealer and Toyota na.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Aug 102017

Tundra

I was driving down the road on my way top work when the sunroof glass exploded. I was on an open highway with little to no traffic around me. Nothing hit the glass, it just blew up. I read online that this has been a complaint on this make as well as many others. Cost to repair is in excess of $800. I could have had an accident because it scared me and I could have lost control of my vehicle. Al swann

- Felton, PA, USA

Aug 012014

Tundra

When I purchased my truck new and was on my way home I noticed a very small dent on the top side of my bed. I decided not to worry about it as it was barely visible nor did I want somebody to do bodywork to fix it. Longevity issues with after the fact body and paint work. Unfortunately as time went on and I was using my truck it started developing more dents on the top side of my bed. I now have 5 or more on each side. I have never hit the side of my bed with anything. Besides, all the dents are the same in appearance. Toyota says its my problem not theirs as it appears to be of an outside influence. I have seen other vehicles with the same problems as mine. Just not as bad. The truck is supposed to handle 1300 to 1800 lbs in the bed but when I load it with approximately 1,000 lbs it bottoms out over speed bumps. I think this is where the issues are coming from. The bed is flexing due to bad engineering and materials and causing ripples in the bed. Its unfortunate that I have to drive a brand new vehicle with dents and all they can say is its not there problem. I sent a certified letter to them dated March 18. Thanks for your help

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 202014

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Tundra equipped with an a.R.E mx truck cap. The contact stated that a piece of glass on the trucks cap front end became loose and unlatched. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to determine the failure. The part was glued back into place. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the failure was deemed cosmetic. The failure mileage was 2,000. Updated 4/13/15 updated 4/21/15 updated 9/28/2017

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 192014

Tundra

The contact owns a 2014 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated while driving only 10 mph, she slightly crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The contact barely clipped the tail light of the other vehicle but the contact's vehicle crumbled on impact. The contact sustained unknown injuries which required medical attention. The contact's vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic but the cause for the drastic damage to the vehicle was not determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,689.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA