— A Mercedes eCall recall includes more than 254,000 vehicles equipped with emergency call systems that may fail due to errors in the SIM card software of the communication modules.
The problem can cause the mobile network connections to fail, leaving Mercedes occupants unable to use the systems in emergencies.
The Mercedes eCall recall affects numerous models.
- 2019-2021 Freightliner Sprinter
- 2019-2021 Mercedes-Benz Metris
- 2019-2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz SLC-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz A-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz AMG GT-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz C-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz E-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz GLB-Class
- 2017-2022 Mercedes-Benz G-Class
According to Mercedes, if the error occurs the communication module would not be able to establish a connection with a mobile phone network which will delay any required emergency response.
In February 2020, Mercedes received the first report outside the U.S. regarding a disabled SIM card that disabled the eCall system. An investigation was opened with the supplier after more eCall failure complaints were received.
Seven months later the sub-supplier of the SIM card was able to confirm a triggered security mechanism was the root cause of the disabled SIM cards, but engineers still needed to determine what triggered the security mechanism.
The sub-supplier confirmed what was occurring with the SIM cards and Mercedes decided to issue the recall.
Drivers will have no clue of eCall problems until the systems are needed.
Mercedes-Benz eCall recall letters are expected to be mailed June 20, 2022, for the Freightliner Sprinter and Mercedes-Benz Metris and Sprinter vans, and eCall recall notices for the remaining vehicles will be mailed July 19, 2022.
The Mercedes eCall communication module software will be updated through over-the-air (OTA) updates or by dealers.
Van owners with questions may call 877-762-8267, and owners of the remaining Mercedes vehicles may call 800-367-6372.