CarComplaints.com Notes: The Cobalt was introduced to replace two of Chevy’s smaller cars, the Cavalier and Prizm. But the compact’s fresh start that Chevy was hoping for was riddled with issues, most notably widespread power steering failure.

The power steering failed so often that GM was forced to issue a recall in March, 2010. Great, but what about other problems like the key getting stuck in the ignition or all the other electrical demons this car possesses?

And, oh yes — then there’s the terribly dangerous issue where the Cobalt randomly shuts off while driving. As it turns out, that problem is related to GM’s massive 2014 recall for a dangerous ignition switch defect. A recall that eventually ballooned to 2.6 million vehicles in one of the automotive industry’s biggest scandals.

6.4

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Feb 182008

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 45 mph, the power steering light illuminated and the power steering failed. The failure occurred approximately three times while driving. The dealer stated that the steering column needed to be replaced and the power steering will need to be reprogrammed at a 50% off discount. The current mileage was 59,950 and failure mileage was 56,322.

- Edmon, OK, USA

Aug 152007

Cobalt 4-cyl

While driving to work, the steering wheel indicator lit up. When continue driving, notice resistance while turning the steering wheel. As I proceeded further, when making turns, the steering wheel was even harder to turn. Call roadside assist. To tow car to nearest dealer. Dealer informed me the steering column was bad.

- Albany, GA, USA

Sep 012005

Cobalt 4-cyl

#1 I brought it back because steering wheel always was to the left even though I was going straight. Dealer said it was fine, I complained to customer service and then dealer said they fixed it. When going straight the steering still looks left. #2 air conditioning not working, #3 liquid coming out of vents #4 cricket noises out of passenger side dash area. I was told air conditioning was fine, no cricket noises and it was normal for fluid to come out of vents. I brought the car back again said A/C is not fine I asked them if it could be some sort of filter (I am no mechanic) but it was. They had car all day, went to pick it up but they said dash was apart because they were fixing the problem with the fluid coming out of the dash (and I said I was told there was no problem) they had the car for the weekend. They tried to charge me for the filter and I said I would not pay for it because there was problems with that ac and defroster etc since day one. They took out the filter and put in an old dirty filter that did not come from my vehicle as the guy from the Chevy dealership in malden said he found it in the trash, (has made my daughter sick). #5 while driving the car I was getting off of the highway into a rest area and the car just died, there was no power steering no brakes etc. The key was in the switch and it was not off. I started the car up again. #6 the electrical didnt work, they fixed that. I have contacted Chevy customer service on several occasions and they say they will check into it etc and call me back, but they never do. I want them to fix the steering wheel, fix the car stalling out for no reason (we could have been killed) and put in a new filter not someone elses dirty filter. I don't trust the malden dealership. I have brought the car to the dealership on at least 7 occasions most of which they say nothing wrong.

- Malden, MA, USA

May 122006

Cobalt 4-cyl

: the contact stated while attempting to start the vehicle the key would not turn in the ignition nor could it be removed. Also the gear shifter would not move out of park. The dealer replaced the ignition switch and the steering column in January, however the problem has reoccurred.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Aug 152005

Cobalt 4-cyl

The consumer stated that he heard a snapping noise in steering column and could feel it in the steering wheel. This happened all of the time and would occur with no warning. The steering column shaft was replaced. The ignition switch was replaced because of the flashing that held the tumbler and the S had collapsed. The manufacturer told the dealer not to replace the steering column shaft but the dealer made the repairs because they had already ordered the part. (12/01/05) after the column was replaced, the vehicle was taken back to the dealer twice. The wheel cover did not have enough rings to hold the rims tight and would rattle when going over light bumps, the vehicle pulled to the right and the passenger side front pillar was loose.

- Telford, PA, USA

Aug 152005

Cobalt 4-cyl

The consumer states that the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt was having two problem. The ABS malfunctioned the ABS locked the tires. The main issues with the car was the steering column. The tilting of the steering wheel was making the vehicle stall. The steering wheel was brought down to the bottom with force and the vehicles stalled. This has been happening for around a month. The vehicle has not been in the dealership for this problem. The manufacturer has not been contacted. The dealer and the manufacturer were contacted over the ABS, and they denied having a problem.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jun 252005

Cobalt 4-cyl

Dt : the caller said that while driving if she bumped the knee under the steering column the engine died. She was not hitting the ignition switch, but just bumping the underneath side of the column. It did not need to be hit very hard to happen. This happened three times while she was going down the highwa, Y and once to her son. Dealer and manufacturer have not been contacted yet.

- Lowell, IN, USA

Apr 092005

Cobalt 4-cyl

Consumer states: Steering column itself makes a rubbing and grinding noise, no matter which way you turn to left or right

- Mount Morris, MI, USA