CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 23 of 56)

Feb 242010

Cobalt

Power steering stops working intermittently while driving. The vehicle is difficult to steer and maneuver. This is a ongoing problem since may of 2009.

- Manhattan, IL, USA

Oct 012006

Cobalt

My vehicle is a Chevy Cobalt, 2006. The power steering has been going out randomly since I first bought the car. This is very dangerous, especially if I am in the middle of a turn and it goes out, takes me by surprise and have to use more strength to go into the turns. This happens every time I drive it. Daily. I was told it would cost me over $2000 to have the power steering replaced, and I don't have the funds to pay for that and pay for my car, so nothing has been fixed on it. This seems to me to be a very serious problem that needs to be taken care of in a recall. I have seen thousands of posts by other owners on the internet relating to this same issue I am having. I also am having problems with the locks, they lock and unlock at will. I can be in or out of the car, and it can be running or not. No rhyme or reason.

- Fredericktown, MO, USA

Feb 162010

Cobalt

Power steering went out on 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt at 60,000 miles.

- Farmville, VA, USA

Nov 242009

Cobalt

N/a. the failure is every time I turn my vehicle on my power steering seems to go out. The consequences are my power steering gets hard so I have to struggle to turn the wheel. I am also afraid to go on highways I just don't want no one to get hurt. I have to take it to the dealership so I can get a quote. I also know other people with Cobalts that have the same problem.

- Robstown, TX, USA

Feb 232010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving approximately 45 mph on normal road conditions; proceeding to make a turn. The power steering warning light indicator illuminated in the instrument panel. There was a sudden loss of power steering. The driver pulled over to the side of the road. The engine was turned off. The vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation. However, the failures re-occurred during the travel. The failure occurrences were intermittent whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle is in the process of being taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The failure mileage and VIN were unavailable.

- College Park , GA, USA

Feb 242010

Cobalt

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt and I am having problem with the steering. I haven't had a accident but the steering tightens up and becomes very hard to control.

- Christiansburg, VA, USA

May 012008

Cobalt

I've owned a 2006 Chevy Cobalt for about 3yrs now and the power steering has been going out whenever it pleases for the last 2yrs! the only way to fix it temporarily is to turn the car off then back pn and hope the power steering doesn't go out again. Driving this car is a life and death hazard for all of its owners and the public.

- Katy , TX, USA

Feb 232010

Cobalt

I recently bought a 2006 Chevy Cobalt ls. It had 83000 miles on it or close there to. Yesterday I was driving when all of a sudden to power steering word came across the screen. At that time my car lost all power steering. This is a serious problem with the vehicle. It is an electric power steering system and should be considered as a recall. I checked and there are hundreds of other complaints.

- Palm Desert, CA, USA

Feb 012010

Cobalt

My car lost total power steering 3 weeks ago while I was driving. It was very difficult to make a turn or park if it had been my wife or an elderly person driving it can be extremely dangerous.the lost of power steering has happen 2X the first time was 3 weeks ago, but after I stop and turn the car off the power steering worked again. Then it happen again 3 days ago this time I was on the highway, and I was driving 70mph again very dangerous situation.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Nov 192009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While the contact was driving he noticed that the power steering light appeared on the dashboard, moments later the vehicle no longer had power steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact was informed that the power steering column needed to be replaced. There were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 79000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 012010

Cobalt

Upon the start of vehicle the power steering indicator comes on. The vehicle at that point is very hard to steer and control. I am having to have the part replaced with an out of pocket cost.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jan 192010

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering failed at random while driving approximately 5 mph. The failure made it extremely difficult to make right and left turns. Sometime the power steering would fail for 5, 10 or 15 minutes; when he would turn off the vehicle and re-start the vehicle, it seemed to correct itself for a short time. He called the manufacturer and was instructed to take the vehicle to the dealership. He took the vehicle to the dealership and was told that the struts were faulty and possibly caused more stress on the power steering. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage was 86,504. The failure mileage was approximately 85,500.

- Stillwater, PA, USA

Feb 192010

Cobalt

On 2/19/10 while my daughter was driving her 2006 Chevy Cobalt, her steering wheel locked up on her while she was making a turn in town.. she had to slow down and turn off the vehicle and turn it back on to free up the steering wheel. The same thing happened on 2/22/10, luckily both times she was driving a at slow rate of speed while making a turn and she able to slow down the vehicle and it stop with out incident.

- Manhattan, KS, USA

Feb 042010

Cobalt

Power steering locking up.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 122009

Cobalt

Driving in city traffic, power steering started going out it started only a couple of times now all the time. Am in the process of getting it fixed at the dealer.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Nov 102009

Cobalt

Power steering has been defective 2 times.

- Westville, IL, USA

Jan 252010

Cobalt

The power steering went out unexpectedly when I was on the road and the wheel became very difficult to steer. I start the ignition and as soon as I take off it goes out. Becoming very hard to drive around and makes it very hazardous on tight corners.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Feb 102010

Cobalt

Every once in a while, my car's power steering will go out. I am driving a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. If I turn the car off, then restart, it will work for a short amount of time and then return to doing the same thing. This causes a great amount of fear, especially if it happens on the highway.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 032010

Cobalt

On Feb 3,2010 my 2006 Chevy Cobalt lost power steering. I have 50,000 miles on the car. I lost control and veered off into on coming traffic but tried to correct and ended in the ditch. Thank god I did not get in a wreck. I turned off the car and then turned it back on and the power steering came back on. It goes out often since then. Chevy needs a recall cause apparently there are many Cobalt's out there doing the same thing....what are they waiting for a death"??"

- Dunn, NC, USA

Jan 202010

Cobalt

Power steering failure on my 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt which has occurred several times now.

- Rowley, MA, USA