Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 26 of 56)

Dec 202009

When driving the power steering would cut off after the car was driven for a short distance. This was 8 weeks ago. Now, the power steering is completely not working.

- Columubs, OH, USA

Feb 122010

Hi, about a week ago I was driving my 2006 Chevy Cobalt to work when I noticed it was kind of wiggling down the straight away of the 4 lane highway I was on. The cars behind me must have noticed because they quit passing me. I went straight back home after work that day and the car was fine. In the week since I have noticed a few oddities in turning the car, most being what loud pops. Now, the car has had a pop in the front end since I bought it that the dealer never has been able to fix and I was sure it was in the right front strut until yesterday. It's just been a little more random lately happening with no curves or bumps in the road. Yesterday on the way home I was turning right and the scroll on my dash read "power steering." I went ahead and turned and found absolutely no power steering help. Drove about a mile down the road with no power steering until I made it to a gas station where I restarted the car. The power steering was back with no warning message after doing that. The car was again fine for about a mile down the road where the message reappeared and I was immediately without power steering again. From all the messages I'm reading online this can be a very expensive fix and very dangerous. Going from great steering to no steering help can be a big shock when it happens in an instant and will lead to accidents. Please help us Cobalt owners.

- Booneville, MS, USA

Feb 122010

Steering problem. Power steering fails. Hard to steer.

- Fiskdale, MA, USA

Jan 172010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 40 mph the power steering failed; however, the vehicle reset itself after it was turned on and then off. The dealer stated that they were not aware of the failure and the diagnostic test fee was $70. There were no related warranties or recalls. The failure mileage was 28,000.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Feb 102010

I got 'power steering' message on my dic when I was getting out of parking lot.... then it was really hard for me to control my steering wheel. I turned the car off and started it back again, and it seemed to work fine for a few mins, then it started having a same problem again.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Jan 292010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that when driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering light would flash on the dashboard and then the steering wheel would lock. The failure occurred once every 2 to 3 days. She had not taken the vehicle to the dealer or talked to the manufacturer. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage was 41,088. The failure mileage was approximately 40,688.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 282009

Power steering has failed numerous times on the 2006 Cobalt ls I bought for my daughter in 2006. I made the purchase so she could commute from college. Thought the car would be a safe and reliable purchase---boy!!! was I wrong!!! this is a dangerous problem & GM needs to fix these Cobalts now. How do we, as consumers demand this & get it corrected" do lots of people have to die before someone will help us" I think I should have bought a Toyota! at least, the Toyota Corp is doing something about their defects----they're fixing them!

- Bluefield, WV, USA

Feb 082010

Driving down the highway and power steering light came on. Power steering failed and unable to steer. Pulled to side of road. Restarted and power steering worked. Drove to garage and light came back on and steering failed and never came back on. Had wrecker pull to Chevy dealership for repairs. Dealer replaced steering column kit and motor kit at a cost of $983.43.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Feb 052010

I was driving home on February 05, 2010 when my steering wheel locked up and I did not have control of the vehicle. I was coming to a stop fortunately when this happened. This is the first time I have experienced this situation. A friend told me Chevy Cobalt have been recalled and I began my search online and have found numerous complaints regarding this issue. Several months ago, my fuel pump module had a small crack in it disbursing gasoline. The mechanic who worked on it said he had never seen anything such as this before. Im lucky I was not driving at a high speed or around a corner when my steering wheel locked up or my car didn't explode into flames from the gasoline disbursing throughout my car when I had to replace my fuel pump. Power steering and fuel pumps should not require regular maintenance. Chevy barely acknowledges the problem and say its not big deal, try your best to control your car when your power steering goes out. I've heard this becomes a regular occurrence after the first time.

- Sacramento , CA, USA

Nov 012009

I have a 06 Chevy Cobalt with intermittent power steering failures. It fails after approx. 20 of daily driving with no prior warning. It becomes difficult to control and I consider it dangerous. GM is aware of the problems but is not being proactive to offer a solution or recall. I do not have the money to get it repaired but even so, repairs are also done with faulty parts. The car has 65K miles.

- Mount Olive, IA, USA

Feb 102010

Just bought my Cobalt at used dealership and I have issues with the power steering. It feels really hard to turn and it makes noises that just don't sound right. I'm really concerned now reading these other complaints and I think the power steering needs to be recalled before someone does get hurt or killed. This is a serious safety issue!!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 022009

I own a 2006 Chevy Cobalt ls that I purchase used from a Chevy dealer with 70,000 miles here in miami. While driving my Chevy Cobalt, I attempted to make a right turn and my power steering stopped working and I almost crash my vehicle into a pole gladly there was nobody standing or other vehicle near the incident. It has now become an repeated incident meaning that is happening frequently. When the temperature out side gets to cold or too hot it stop working. It also makes a bee noise. I check thru the website review other Chevy Cobalt owners problem and they advice to remove the 60 amp fuse and place it back and it temporary correct the problem until it does it again. I took it to the dealer and they says that I have to replace the hold steering unit which over $1000 dollars which I do not have. I find out that the vehicle has a electronic steering gear instead of a hydraulic pump. I have done a research and find out that I am not the only person owning a Chevy Cobalt that is having the same problem. I research thru you website and several people already report the same problem. It is a safety hazard and a Chevy problem. Please I'm requesting that you guys investigate this problem further since is not an isolated problem. If you need to contact me please feel free. Please do not let someone get killed because of this. Thank you.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 102010

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt and my 18 yr son was driving and the power steering went out and the message inside the car came on. The vehicle became very hard to drive and almost lost control of the car. When I got home I restarted the car but after 2 minutes of driving the same thing happened. It is extremely dangerous for him and I hear can cost up to $2000 to fix. Something needs to be done.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Feb 012010

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt ss. Back in January I had an incident where I was driving and the message center on the dash displayed "power steering." Once that appeared and chimed, I lost most manueverability of my vehicle and it became hard to steer. Once I got to my destination, I turned off the vehicle and back on, and noticed that the problem did not replicate. At the time, my Cobalt had approximately 78,650 miles. Since then, I had not had any occurrence until 2/1/10. Since 2/1/10, the problem occurs every day. It seems to occur after approximately 40-50 minutes of driving and then my power steering kicks out. Turning the engine off and back on will correct the problem, but within 5 minutes the "power steering" message reappears. The engine has to cool down for the length of driving time to increase. I drive a 44 mile commute daily one way, and experience this every day; seeing that I am not the only one experiencing this, it poses a serious safety risk especially when most of my commute is highway driving. I've had it kick out when I'm on an expressway exit ramp almost unable to continue my turn around the corner. I have seen that GM stated in rebuttal to this investigation that "if it goes out it requires extra effort." Being a fairly burly male, that extra effort is a lot! it is like you're going against quite a bit of resistance on the power assist components. I used to work for ups and drove their trucks; their package cars don't have power steering and I know how the lack of power steering feels; this is nothing in comparison. Just having a major snow storm here in the midwest, it poses additional safety concerns trying to maneuver on snow covered pavement. Another concern and question that can be posed, is that if it cuts out after approximately 40-50 minutes of driving, that may mean the power assist is overheating. Can that cause a fire in the vehicle? my Cobalt now is close to approaching 80,000 miles.

- Round Lake, IL, USA

Jun 022007

My power steering on my 2006 Chevy Cobalt ss is going out and is very loud and clunky.

- Garden City, UT, USA

Jan 242010

Without warning the message screen next to the speedometer read "power steering" and the wheel became very difficult to move. Meanwhile, the car was still driving motion, but the direction of the wheels was nearly inalterable. The only remedy is to bring the car to a complete stop, turn off the engine, and restart it. This can be very hazardous in traffic, as well as in areas of limited driving space. This has occurred in my vehicle 18 times in the past 13 days. During one occurrence, nearby police officers took notice of my struggle and came over to find out what was wrong.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Aug 052009

Power steering going out on & off at the beginning & now is after one minute of driving, it gets very stiff hard to maneuver I was about to crash so many times.

- Newark , CA, USA

Dec 202009

06 Cobalt power steering.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Dec 162009

2006 Chevy Cobalt electric power steering failed at 49,800 miles. This happened unexpectedly while my daughter was driving on the highway, luckily she was able to pull over and park without an accident.

- Neche, ND, USA

Oct 052009

I own a 2006 Chevy Cobalt ls in which the power steering went out. Thankfully I was not driving on the highway, I was just going 2-3 mph out of a parking deck when without warning I had absolutely no steering. I had to take it to the nearby Chevy dealership $456 later it was fixed.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA