Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 24 of 28)

Jun 102009

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. The power steering flashes on my screen and then my steering wheel becomes all stiff. It makes it very difficult for me to park, reverse and turn my car. About 3 months ago the problem started. Then for about a month it completely went away. For the past month the problem has become much more severe and it the power steering flashes on right after I turn on my car. I took it to the deal the first time it became an issue and they said it was $895 to replace the steering column, I don't have the money to pay this and this car is my only transportation. I've been doing my research and found out that this has been a problem in many Cobalt drivers. I believe this should be a recall, its very dangerous!

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Sep 192009

2007 Chevy Cobalt power steering failure drive at any speed and power steering goes out without warning. When it goes out, it is very difficult to steer. Has happened 4 times in the past 1 week. Nothing has been done to correct yet as it is very expensive to fix. This has an electric power steering unit so there is no fluid to check.

- Tunkhannock, PA, USA

Oct 182009

2007 Chevy colbalt ls. Power steering gives up. Power steering message turns off when the car is shut off but message come back a few days later and the power steering keeps failing.

- El Paso , TX, USA

Jul 302009

At first the problem would come and go for about two months but gradually got worse. Now, I have no power steering at all - ever. The dash dial gauges go haywire and it feels like my transmission is going to drop out of the bottom of the car!!

- Annandale, VA, USA

Oct 042009

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. On two occasions while driving the power steering warning light illuminates on the instrument control panel, and then there was a loss of power steering. The dealer replaced the electrical steering motor, the module. And the power steering column. On October 14, 2009 while leaving the dealer, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 58,818. The current mileage was 62,000.

- Pattison , TX, USA

Sep 202009

Power steering randomly fails, haven't found the reason, was hoping for a recall.

- Neptune, NJ, USA

Oct 082009

I own a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The power steering went out and it was fixed at the garage.

- Coats, NC, USA

Sep 172009

My cars power steering pump stopped working. As I was coming back from twin falls trying to turn was like being in an iron-man competition and I could have crashed!

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Oct 102009

Power steering on 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt with just over 49,000 miles went out while 16 year old son was driving.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 032009

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 50 mph. The power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument control panel, and then she lost power steering. She was able to safely restart the vehicle. However she continued to experience difficult steering. The vehicle was in the process of being taken to the dealer, and contacting the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 42,000. The current mileage was 42,359.

- Colony, TX, USA

Oct 052009

Driving down the road with my 2 year old daughter in the car, and all of a sudden the power steering on my 2007 Chevy Cobalt ls went out. Almost caused a pile up as it was on a busy, main road. It was working okay if you turn the car off then on, but now it's stalling every minute or two. I have read this is an ongoing problem with the Chevy Cobalt. I don't understand, will it take lives being lost for this problem to be taken seriously? I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow and since it's under warranty I am assuming they will replace what needs to be replaced, but as I have read in other's complaints that isn't any guarantee that it will stay fixed.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 152009

I have a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. At the time of the problem, it had approximately 47,750 miles. As I was driving down the road the check power steering message came across the dic. At that point it was nearly impossible to turn the car as the power steering had failed. I drove the vehicle home and parked it for the night. When I went out the next day to drive to work, I turned the car on and the power steering worked just as it did the day I purchased the car. Upon taking it to the dealer and having the diagnostic test run on it, they said it appeared that there was a failure in the power steering motor.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 042009

The power steering on my 2007 Cobalt went out while I was driving at 45 mph on a curvy road. I turned off the car and when I started it back up it was working again. I then started back home and it went out again. The car is very hard to steer when it goes out. I have called the dealership to set an appointment up to have it worked on. I bought the extended warranty when I bought the car new.

- Milton, KY, USA

Sep 262009

Chevrolet Cobalt 2007, power steering freezes completely. It happens every time 10 minutes after turn on. Complete power steering column need replace (the mechanic said).

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 012009

The power steering in my 2007 Chevy Cobalt locks up and makes steering next to impossible. The car needs to stopped and restart for it reengage and than only for a few minutes before locks up again.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Sep 242009

The electric power steering assists goes out without prior warning and stays off until the cars is turned off and restarted. Once the car has been restarted the power assist stays on for an indeterminate period of time before going out again. This happened four times today alone. This has happened while traveling at various speeds from 25mph to 65 mph. It doesn't seem to be triggered by the amount of time or miles driven and is totally unexpected. When the power steering assist goes out steering becomes immediately stiff and requires quite an effort. If this were to happen while entering a sharpe turn it could easily have tragic consequences.

- Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA

Sep 262009

Bought the car in May 2008, since then within one year we replaced tires on front 3 and needing a 4th time now. Brakes and rotors also have been changed 3 times each and still having trouble at 55 miles an hour shakes and some lose of control. Problem needs to be addressed but dealer and Chevy says nothing!! vehicles tires are losing tread on the front outside of the tires.

- Wellsville, NY, USA

Jul 282009

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 35 mph the power steering warning light illuminated intermittently, and then there was a loss of power steering. As a consequence, it became difficult to control the steering wheel. She was in the process of having the vehicle inspected by the dealer. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 54,371.

- Hawthrone, CA, USA

Aug 242009

My power steering went out while driving in a city road! not a good idea! I had to turn the car off and start it again to gain control! what happened next the power steering was lost again. I looked this problem up and found that many other people have this problem! I'd rather not crash my car because of something GM wont fix.. make this a recall! it's needed.

- Middletown , PA, USA

Aug 252009

My power steering goes out while I am driving. I have children and this is not safe. If you all would read all of the complaints and do something before someone gets hurt. I have told everyone I know to never buy a Cobalt!!!!!! I thank god that there was been no injuries reported yet. Please do something about this.

- Alvin, TX, USA