CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 29)

Jan 022013

Cobalt

I own a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. In 2013 my car went crazy. Power steering stopped working and all the electric components were all over the place. RPM's were going up and down, full tank of gas said it was empty, gear shifter was clicking, and the car was jerking like it wanted to stall. I called Chevy and they told me there were 2 recalls, during the same time my garage smelled strong like gas. I had the problem fixed twice. Now in December 2016 the car is going haywire again.power steering goes out, all electric components start flipping out and the anti theft system light comes on along with every other light on the dash. My 17 year old daughter now drives the car and it is completely unsafe considering she is unable to steer and all the electric components go out. This must be treated as a recall! I've seen thousands of the same complaints. This is extremely unsafe and can easily cause an accident. GM needs to take responsibility for this! does someone have to die before a recall fixes the problem? I paid cash for my car and bought it in 2007 with 12 miles on it. This is unacceptable and there needs to be a lawsuit against GM!

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Dec 082016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 5 mph, the power steering malfunctioned. The contact stated that the steering wheel was extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 34,886. The VIN was not available.

- Decatur, IL, USA

Dec 052016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While the vehicle was undergoing routine maintenance, the technician observed that the power steering was difficult to turn. The dealer diagnosed that the electric power steering assist malfunctioned. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired per GM recall bulletin number: 14115B (electric power steering assist). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Milwaukee, WV, USA

Dec 032016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While attempting to parallel park, the steering suddenly locked up for approximately ten minutes before releasing independently. Once the steering wheel was no longer locked, the power steering failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 158,000.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Nov 222016

Cobalt

My wife's vehicle has lost power steering a few times. One of those times the power steering failed was while she was driving on the highway. Another time the power steering wouldn't engage after the car had sat overnight in the rain. Another time my wife tried to leave work and the dashboard lit up and the car had no power steering. It has happened several times. There was a recall for the electric power steering on the Chevy Cobalt. GM claimed they fixed the recall on my wife's car however the same issue is continuing to occur with the same symptoms.

- Philadelphia`, PA, USA

Nov 062016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While pulling out of the driveway, the power steering seized and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 125,454.

- Horizon, TX, USA

Aug 102016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 5 mph, the steering wheel locked and almost caused a crash. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering motor/modulator and steering rack needed replacing, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 174,000.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Oct 112016

Cobalt 4-cyl

Power steering went out while leaving the parking lot, drove the car home without power steering. I was less than a mile from home and did not have to take any major roads. I thought my power steering was low on fluid, I was not aware that it was electric. When restarting the vehicle power steering started working again.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 102016

Cobalt

See attachment.....have invoices for 3 times car at dealers including original recall

- Garfield Heights, OH, USA

Oct 202016

Cobalt

The power steering was making some sort of noisy sound then it was not easy to control. I had to park the car and turn it off.

- Parma, OH, USA

Sep 132016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 35 mph, the steering wheel seized and became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was coasted over to the side of the road and towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Gas City, IN, USA

Sep 012016

Cobalt

I have 07 Cobalt with 45000 miles on it has a rattle in steering column, electric motor was replaced by recall, now plastic gear is worn causing noise. Reqires colum being replace at a cost og $800 for part plus labor.

- Benton, MO, USA

Aug 242016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While the vehicle was stationary, the steering wheel seized without warning. The steering wheel seized on more than one occasion. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 169,000.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Mar 122014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. When the vehicle was parked, the contact smelled fuel. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering lost power and the power steering and check engine lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer who stated that a recall repair was previously performed and would not be repeated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures and stated that nothing could be done. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 062014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the power steering failed and the battery warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering motor, keys and the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (steering) but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. The VIN was not available.

- Nitro, WV, USA

Dec 072015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. After having the vehicle repaired for the ignition key to be removed from the starter, the engine light illuminated and the steering was in dic mode. Also, the power steering failed. When depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle failed to accelerate accordingly. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who stated that the vehicle was repaired with an aftermarket part that needed to be replaced. The part was replaced, but the failure recurred. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and provided no resolution. The approximate failure mileage was 43,703.

- Clatskanie, OR, USA

Apr 072016

Cobalt

First I experienced fule excel ration. Called manufacture told me I was experiencing a known problem but my VIN was not on the recall list. Took it in for ignition recall shortly after my head lights dim or one goes out then it comes back on then the other one will go out or dim took it to machanic they fixed it but it is now doing the same thing then the power steering sundenly went out almost had a collison light never came on. Restarted the car everything worked then power steering light came on took it to machcanic turned the car off to have him check it he pulled it in to the shop and light was not on. So he told me I had to bring it back when light came on in order to run a test. Light never came back on then 5 days ago lost power steering again almost had an accident. If I am at a complete stop in traffic or at a red light the car will excilerate with out me touching the gas when I break to keep from hitting the vehicle in front of me the rear end will fish tail. I am 60 years old this car has almost caused me to have several accidents. It is unsafe the manufacturer admitted when I took it in for the ignition switch that there were issues with the promlems I have been experiencing but my VIN was only on the ignition recall. They told me the dealer would fix them at my expence. I get 950. Dollars a. month and have cancer. I have no means to pay for the defects in 2012 my daughter bought me the car and paid $10,000 for it. I have no other means of transportation to my doctors ect. Please help me. While driving at night my head light will dim or one will completely go out. Causing me to almost miss the exit and run off an embankment.

- Spring, TX, USA

Apr 192016

Cobalt

My power steering is going out. I called about the recall, but since they claim it is fixed, they will not redo the recall work. It is obvious that the repair work they did, did not fix the issue completely. I was driving and when I turn the wheel it will not return to the normal position. So, I have to manually do it, which makes the vehicle swerve. It is dangerous, and a known problem.

- Temperance, MI, USA

Apr 182016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 40 mph and making a turn, the power steering seized. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Keyser, WV, USA

Oct 262015

Cobalt

Power steering not fixed on open recall in 2010 power steering rack failure caused an accident in motion 3rd party dealership diagnosed the problem with the power steering rack failure, but was unable to fix.

- Akron, OH, USA