2002 Ford Escape miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Escape:

2002 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 262002

Escape 4WD

I was driving @ about 40 mphon sat 1-26-2002 when the engine stopped and the dash lights for the engine and oil came on. I coasted to a stop and turned off the heater, radio, and ignition and put the car in park. Ir started again but I was concerned that there was a problem. I brought the car to williams Ford(739 front St. P.O. Box 220, berea, oh 44017) on Monday Jan 29, 2002 to report the engine failure. The service advisor looked under the hood and told me that "the car just burped". I asked if there was something I could do to prevent this from occurring again and he told me that "the car just had to learn the way I drive". I questioned how an inanimate object without a brain could learn. He told me "oh yes, it does have a brain". I called another service advisor (ed) at williams Ford on Tuesday Jan 30 to explain the situation. He too assured me that "the car just sort of hiccupped". he also told me that the car was learning the way I drove. When I asked me to explain he said it was termed "adaptive idle strategy" and that it was because the car was new. I told him I have had other new cars that this has not happened to and asked if there was anything I could do to prevent this from happening again because I thought it was a safety issue. He said the computer was adjusting to the way I accerlate and decelerate and there was not anything I should do. I have since read that the NHTSA is investigating other Ford Escapes that the engines have stalled while driving and have needed to have the engines repaired/replaced. I am dissappointed that they did not care enough to run a diagnostic check on the car to assure me of the car's safety and repair/replace the engine if needed.

- Columbia Station, OH, USA

Nov 132001

Consumer stated that white gelatinous material was leaking from multiple areas of vehicles locks and crevices onto the interior upholstery of vehicle, dealer stated that lubricant was applied to the various internal locking mechanisms and that the excess was settling by leaking out of crevices and seams, dealer wiped off excess lubricant.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Dec 112001

Engine stalled while driving downhill. Was either braking or decelerating by letting up on gas. Check engine, airbag, and possibly oil lights came on. Power steering and brakes failed. Was able to pull off the road and stop vehicle with hand brake. Shifted vehicle into park and restarted. Had been driving for approx. 1/2 hour (15 miles). Weather was cool and clear.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 262001

2002 Escape stalled while coasting 35-40 mph down-hill. Engine, battery and oil lights illuminated on dash. Loss of power steering and breaks. Vehicle started up immediately after placing in "park" position. Dealership tested vehicle and found nothing out of the ordinary. Vehicle was 3 days old, 164 miles on odometer. This vehicle is the replacement to 2001 Escape that stalled 4 times while coasting. Dealer replaced fuel pump, electronic engine control (eec) relay on separate occasions. Vehicle still stalled. Dealership very "pro-active" and willing to assist by offering rental car while testing both vehicles.

- Parma, OH, USA

Oct 092001

Vehicle was going 45mph and stalled without warning. Consumer had only owned vehicle for 4 days. Dealer couldn't find a cause, but kept it to inspect further and gave consumer a loaner vehicle.

- Charlotte, NC, USA