Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Ford Escape looks pretty good compared to other Ford Escape model years, but still has a trend of transmission problems, and engine problems from the NHTSA complaint data — so it's not a model year we can recommend.

1. keep replacing brakes (2 reports)
2004 Ford Escape brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Escape:

2004 Ford Escape Owner Comments

May 142008

Escape LX

I bought my Ford Escape about 2 years ago, and I have replaced my brakes 3 times..... they will work fine for about 3-5 months and then the noise begins again. I bought my car used and I knew that there were going to be some minor problems but it's becoming a pain to hear that noise all the time. I am going to finish paying for the car and then I will NEVER, NEVER,NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD PRODUCT AGAIN!!!!

I'm not sure if they do it on purpose but it seems like it. I like the car, it's very nice, but it has too many problems. I get it serviced every 3 months and should not have to go through this. I just spent $700 with some problems it had and with a new battery last month. I want to take care of it until I finish paying for it because I don't want to keep on paying for a car I won't be using.

- , Graham, NC, USA

Jul 162008

Ford has a better idea..... Buy something else..

Brakes started making noises in July. Brought it to Dealer and they told me I needed my Front Brakes done. $$ A month later they are squeaking again. Dealer told me it was now my Rear Brakes. $$, again. Well folks, it's February and I just had my 6th visit to the Dealer for my brakes. Of course, no charge since July-August and the Dealership is on my way to work.. so, I guess I can keep going back every month and get new brakes installed. I don't drive any long distances, only has 32,000 miles and yet the brakes only last weeks.... Won't be buying Ford Again... Toyotas look nice..

- , Burlington, NC, USA