Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Ford Escape looks pretty good compared to other Ford Escape model years, but still has a trend of transmission problems, and engine problems from the NHTSA complaint data — so it's not a model year we can recommend.

1. new power steering pump, belt and pressurized hose (2 reports)
2004 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Escape:

2004 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Apr 152014

Transmission, power steering pump. Where is the quality and pride in building a decent vehicle Ford? 2 transmissions in less than 150,000 miles is ridiculous !!!!

- , Lathrop, MO, USA

Feb 162011

Escape Limited V6

I bought my used ford escape on Saturday February 12th 2011 and denied the extra warranty. It was just too much money. I drove it for a couple days and noticed that the steering was really loud. When i brought it to my mechanic he informed me the powersteering pump was going out and that this would have been easily caught with a proper inspection! when he lifted the power steering cap you could see the power steering fluid moving around like it was going down a drain. So he replaced the pump and a bad belt (the one close to the pump) , which ford refused to help with, and within a week there was a new leak in the pressurized hose coming from the pump, which i had to replace as well.

NOW... this week... I got a flat and had to replace ALL the tires because it is an 4WD/ Auto car and they didn't make a tire with the same tread as i had previously... THEN YESTERDAY I had to get towed because it broke down again!

I'm not sure how much of this Ford could have caught and i know i denied the warranty, but you would think that seeing it hasn't been even 30 days and i've dumped 1200 dollars into my car that they could help me out a bit!! Thats not even including whatever is wrong with it now! I haven't heard from my mechanics yet!! I am just sick to my stomach about it. I bought it for 10,000 3 weeks ago and now this....... I just don't know what to do. I know i bought it as is, but does anyone know if there is ANYTHING i can do???

- , Grand Rapids, MN, USA