9.2

1. replace wheel well (8 reports)
  3. repaired effected areas (3 reports)
2005 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Aug 172014

Escape

The rear wheel wells are completely rusted out now driving without a rear shock estimate was 6400.00 to fix escape not even worth that much. What a piece of crap. Paid 12000.00 foe this vehicle in 2010 it was only 5 years old then and has been nothing but a money pit. All because of the rusting. Vehicle is not safe to drive.

- , Ashland, Wisconsin (WI), USA

Feb 262014

Escape XLT

This last winter my back wheel wells rusted out completely. And I missed the recall by a year!

- , Grayling, MI, USA

May 122014

Escape V6

click to see larger images

excessive wheel well rust excessive wheel well rust

while driving escape my daughter began to hear a banging sound rear right area. She mentioned it to me and I thought oh great now it needs shocks.While stopping at a Goodyear shop to get air in tires technician alerted her to a crack in the frame around the wheel well that was totally rusted out with the shock barely holding on.We parked it in the driveway and began calling Ford dealers finding out if this was a known problem.We were told there was a recall for rusty frames for the 2001-2004 but our vehicle wasn't included. We hesitated for weeks deciding to repair or not, will it be safe,etc. we finally had it repaired to the tune of $1500. the wheel well was replaced since there was too much rust.

- , Lackawanna, NY, USA

Jun 272014

Escape XLT 2.3L

I BOUGHT MY 2005 FORD ESCAPE FROM COLUSSY CHEVROLET IN BRIDGEVILLE, PA IN 2012 AND THEY SOLD IT AS A CERTIFIED VEHICLE MEANING THEY WENT OVER IT WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB. I HAVE HAD A CONSTANT RATTLE IN THE CAR ALONG WITH A PING IN THE UNDERSIDE OF THE CAR. I HAD IT IN 3 TIMES AND HAVE SINCE DISCOVERED THAT SOMEONE HAD FILLED IN THE RIGHT REAR PASSENGERS SIDE INNER WHEEL WELL WHICH HAD ROTTED OUT WITH FOAM INSULATION AND THEN COVERED IT WITH SPRAY ON UNDERCOATING. MY REGULAR MECHANIC FOUND IT WHEN HE CHANGED THE REAR SHOCKS OUT ON 6-27-14. HE TOLD ME THE NOISE I AM HEARING IS THE SHOCK TOWER MOVING EVER SO SLIGHTLY WHEN I AM DRIVING HE TOLD ME THAT EVENTUALLY THE SHOCK TOWER WILL COME FREE AND GO UP THROUGH THE TRUNK, POSSIBLY WHILE I AM DRIVING. I AM GOING TO TRY TO CONTACT COLLUSSY CHEVROLET TO ATTEMPT TO RECTIFY THIS ISSUE BECAUSE THE CAR WAS UNDER AN EXTENDED WARRANTY THAT I PURCHASED FROM THEM WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Escape LX 3.0L V6

FOUND RUSTED OUT REAR FENDER WELL, WHEN TALKING TO THE BODY SHOP TO GET REPAIRED THEY SAID THIS WAS THE 8TH ONE THEY HAVE SEEN THIS YEAR.

IF THERE ARE SO MANY WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AT THIS ONE BODY SHOP ALONE, HOW MANY OTHER PLACES HAVE DONE REPAIRS AND HOW MANY DOES IT TAKE FOR FORD TO MAKE IT A RECALL

- , St. Thomas, Ontario, canada

Apr 302014

Escape XLT V6

I purchased my 2005 Ford Escape XLT 4WD used a little less than 3 years ago with 107,000 miles on it. I recently had to put a new transmission in it and alternator at around 119,500 miles. But if I would have known about the rust issue in the wheel well, I would have never ever invested that much money in the transmission.

About a month after getting a new transmission, I started hearing a thumping/banging noise coming from the right rear of the car. I was later washing my car and that's when I noticed the rusted out wheel well. There was a hole near the strut mount. 2 weeks later the rust is worse, more visible holes and now I can actually see the lining from the back seat through a hole. So far I've had two body shops look at it and neither of them want to even attempt to fix it. The left side is also rusted but not nearly like the right side. The body shop also said the rocker panel is rusted from one end to the other. They told me not to even drive it anymore, that it's dangerous!! I cannot believe that FORD has not recalled these cars for this issue.

My mother also has a 2005 Escape and we can start to see rust appear on the wheel well. Her car only has around 56,000 miles. She is already wanting to get rid of hers now before it rusts out like mine has done. I now have a parked car, with no one who wants to fix it and I still owe a significant amount of money on it. I really don't even want to invest anymore money in this "money pit" of a vehicle. I'd like to sell it for parts so that I can at least recover some of the costs of the transmission.

- , Dunbar, WV, USA

May 052014

Escape XLT V6

While driving my 2005 Ford Escape on the expressway, I heard a constant excessive banging noise. I took the car to my mechanic, who informed me that the right rear wheel well had completely rusted out and broke away from the frame of the car. The car is not drivable and is going to cost $865.00 to fix the right wheel well. Hopefully the left side is salvageable.

I am Extremely disappointed with Ford and at this point cannot be convinced to purchase another Ford product.

Ford should take pride and ownership of the product they put on the market and create a car that Americans would want to purchase. When you spend $28,000.00 on a car, you would expect it to last more than 8 years. Perhaps Ford should contact Toyota and find out what they are doing right, since my other car is 14 years old, has 265,000 miles and is better shape!

- , Palos Park, IL, USA

Jul 282014

Escape Sport V6

I started hearing a loud banging sound in the right rear of my Ford Escape. I thought something was loose or wasn't closed properly. My partner took it for a test drive and when he came back looked under the right wheel well and it was totally rusted away exposing the shocks. My repairman I usually use would not even touch it so I took it back to the dealership and they are aware of the DEFECT but there are no recalls. Now I have to pay $800 something dollars for Ford's defect. They have to order the part and hope its not backordered. I've had to take two days off work because they had no vehicle to loan me and my vehicle is not safe to drive. Really disappointed with Ford because it seems to get a recall someone has to get killed or injured first. I've been a loyal customer of Ford for many years because my father retired from Ford. Maybe it's time to look at another brand.

- , Lorain, OH, USA

Apr 182014

Escape XLT 3.0L

I work as a parts manager for a Ford dealeership. I seel a few of these a year ofer the past 3+ years. Knowing this I have been keeping my eyes on it. If Ford Motor Company can recall Freestars for the same issue why can't they do it for the Escape. I know what you are thinking.. tell Ford. I wish it was that easy.

- , Monticello, IA, USA

Mar 102014

Escape Limited

Just found out that my 2005 Ford Escape right rear wheel well has completely rusted out. Only 86,000 miles on it. After checking online, looks like there are many others that have this problem. Ford refuses to do anything, just said that they would report it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. They lied, because I called NHSIA , and asked if Ford reports issues to them and they said NO. So far, only 116 complaints regarding this issue has been filed with them. So everyone with this problem should call NHTSA at 1-800-424-9393 and report it. Ford should really own up to their defective workmanship and make this right.

- , Crown Point, IN, USA

Mar 132014

Escape ES V6

click to see larger images

excessive wheel well rust excessive wheel well rust excessive wheel well rust excessive wheel well rust excessive wheel well rust

There is excessive rust on the rear passenger side wheel well. The rust is so extreme that the shock has gone through the inside of the car.

- , Hinsdale, NY, USA

Jan 312014

Escape V6

I have a 2005 ford escape. I've been the only owner. garage kept when at home. the right back wheel well completely rusted out. the shock mount is totally disconnected from my suv !! this is horribly unsafe and can not be driven. ford says "we never heard of this issue" so I told them to google this problem and see the hundreds of other complaints. THEY SAID THEY NEED 1000 PEOPLE TO COMPLAIN BEFORE THEY WILL DO A RECALL. they said they cant even fix the issue. so far 2 shops said they will not fix it due to liability reasons since its the frame of the car.

I have contacted the media. I will never buy a ford again and will make sure I blast this all over social media too to warn anyone that owns a ford escape to get rid of it asap.

- , Aliquippa, PA, USA

Feb 042014

Escape Limited 3.2L V6

05 Limited 150,000 miles

Mine was so bad it wasn't connected anymore. Thank God my dad is an awesome body guy because within a week he fixed it. He cut out the remaining rust (which was almost none) and added a whole new section. I have almost a brand new wheel well. He put flex seal on the outside and inside so it wouldn't rust again and no water salt etc would get in there. that was on my passenger side. my drivers side started so he put a tiny new piece on there also. He said its the worst hes seen on an 2005. I contacted Ford but they wouldn't do anything and its common because every escape I see I look at their wheel well and its rusted. I'm just lucky to have a dad who fixed it. He said it was a pain the in butt and no other shop would touch it because it complicated. Went to Ford and they said around $2000 to fix it. Then they tried selling me the WHOLE quarter panel for $500. DO NOT DO IT! They have the piece we need its just on back order. So really, you cant get it. I would find someone who does work out the their garage and see if they'll do it. If not, I would look for another car because these Escapes suck with the wheel well and other issues. I have a loan and its my first loan ever so I needed it fixed. I love the car, but geese, cmon Ford, DO SOMETHING! Your going to loose customers, and once my loan is up, I'm never buying a Ford again. EVER! Good Luck Guys!

- , Crown Point, IN, USA

Jan 012014

Escape 3lV6

We have a 2005 Ford escape with excessive wheel well rusting, so much so that the top of the shocker is no longer connected to anything.

So far we have written to Ford, no answer, tried to get part, currently unavailable, written to NHTSA, no action. Most local body shops don't even want to attempt a repair.

Ford Recalled the Freestar van for the same problem, if enough people complain maybe they will do the same for us.

- , Saint Joseph, MI, USA

May 012013

Escape Limited 3.4L V6

I have a 2005 Ford Escape with severe corrosion on the rear right wheel well. I contacted Ford Motor Co. multiple times but I get no help. The shock absorber broke through the wheel well and is no longer mounted to it. The other wheel wells are fine. Went researching online and found hundreds if not thousands of people with the same exact problem. The car is not safe to drive and could cause injury or death to myself and others since the car is not stable when turning or diving on highway. Seems like there is a good enough evidence to blame Ford for this malfunction on their behalf. There would be much appreciation if anyone could help settle this issue. Thanks

- , Ravenna, MI, USA

Sep 152013

Escape Limited 4.6L V6

Discovered excessive rusting condition on both the back wheel wells were the shocks attach. Car was making a rattling noise, had my mechanic look it over when the rust condition was discover. My mechanic indicated that he has not seen this type of excessive rusting occurring on a vehicle 2005. Have to take the vehicle to multiple places until I found someone to repair. It appears that the spray on undercoating that FORD added to the wheel well area was trapping water, salt, etc.. enhance the rusting process. It just seems unbelievable that this area would rust out this quickly and the remainder of the vehicle if fine. Purchase this 05 Escape new and also purchase a new 11 Escape. I sure hope this do not occur again. It just makes me sick seeing it and having to dealing with this. U would expect a better product that will last longer.

- , Massillon, OH, USA

Jun 242013

Escape XL V6

Very Dangerous. I was driving and hurt a banging noise everytime I hit a small dip in the road. I thought maybe the passanger rear door was ajar. I stopped to close it. It kept banging. I thought something broke loose. I looked at the passanger rear wheel well to find it crack about 1 foot long. The strut did not have any tension because the wall was in two pieces and was able to move around.

When I first purchased the car and took it home, I back the car in my drive and parked it on a small incline. In the morning I got in and couldn't start it. I was told my FORD's to open the little round button on the console and stick a screw driver in there and then turn the key. It worked, but that's not what I had hoped for with a brand new vehicle. Another time, I stopped quickly to avoid hitting a squirrel and the car stalled out in the middle of the road. One day I was talking to a friend that was my passanger, as I said, "I'll be darned if... and I slapped the steering wheel and the car stalled out in the middle of the road. The sunroof last year started leaking. Come to find out it had soemthing to do with the screws use to fasten it down with. About 4-5 years ago the bottom edge of the back door was rusting out. I had to replace that with another one. Two years ago I had to replace some seals. It goes on and on. When you think you may have gotten everything, it's something else. Had I known.....I would have traded it in for something else. I am looking for another car...won't be a FORD ESCAPE and probably not a FORD at all. I use to believe in American made products, but not if they are going to screw me over. FORD...Fix Or Repair Daily!

- , Ferndale, MI, USA