9.1

2. replace wheel well (9 reports)
  3. repaired effected areas (3 reports)
2005 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 212014

Escape Limited V6

While driving home from a weekend trip - noticed quite a bit of clunking in the right rear of the car. Took the car to my mechanic and he immediately saw the problem - there is barely anything holding the area over my right rear tire together. He sent me to a welding service -they have seen so many of these problems in the last couple months they have a template made!!!!!!!!!!!! I have always thought that part of my car seems "noisy", like there was insulation missing. We need a rebate for this - there is SOMETHING WRONG!!!

- , WHITEHOUSE, OH, USA

Aug 202014

Escape XLT V6

Contacted Ford and warranty company and all they said was sorry.

- , Oswego, IL, USA

Jun 012014

Escape XLT V6

I purchased this very clean car from a dealer with slightly over 100,000 miles with new tires in 2012. I also purchased the power train warranty as I intended to keep it for years. Fast forward to summer 2014,the car now has almost 116,000 and is unsafe to drive. The continental tires have at least 50% tread left. I also owe a considerable amount of money on the loan. I understand my problem is not unique but Ford motor doesn't acknowledge it in this year Escape.What is going on is the rear right wheel well to the back of the car completely rotted away. This problem is not to be confused with the brace recall for the underside suspension.This is significant as according to my mechanic there is nothing left to support the flexing driving creates. The escape has been repaired twice.The first time all rotted metal was removed and a new patch panel installed, sealed up and rustproofed with undercoating. The horrible slapping noise stopped for about 250 miles. Back to the shop, this time they re-spot welded the panel 30 times. This lasted 900 miles. The shop says there is not enough metal left in the back to provide the integrity needed against metal fatigue. They say the solution now would be an entire new rear quarter section before the shock tower collapses.I have read on forums that dealers are unwilling to address this problem and I can hardly blame them,it is my hope Ford motor steps up as unlikely as that sounds. As it stands now I am stuck holding the bag as I'm not a fraud kind of guy,call it karma or whatever. Here's the math- $8,500.00 car, 30 months into 6 year loan,14,000 miles driven, less than half worn tires,car unsafe to drive. So what can I do? Fix the car for an OMG amount,dig into my retirement account again,sell it for parts?maybe roll car and loan into something else possibly repeating history. Guys at work tell me the state attorney general might help.Looks like I'll have to exhaust all avenues. Ending note, the car is now nick named "slappy" and for anyone checking this out don't be as naive as I was believing that a vehicle considered a durable "sport utility vehicle is anything more than a rust bucket. These kind of problems are probably why Ford is making all aluminum trucks coming soon[thanks to the profits made from sloppy uni-body trash}.

- , Dearborn, Michigan, USA

Aug 282014

Escape Limited V6

excessive wheel well rust

So frustrating! I took excellent care of my 2005 Escape Limited through 19k miles. Hoped to have it a lot longer. Estimates by phone from local body shops are $3-5000 IF it can even be fixed. There might be too much corrosion to replace just the well. AND Ford attached the shock to the wheel well, extremely poor design with their improperly sealed metal. Come on, Ford, time to issue a corrosion recall on the '05 like you did on the 01-04!

- , Chardon, OH, USA

Aug 172014

Escape

The rear wheel wells are completely rusted out now driving without a rear shock estimate was 6400.00 to fix escape not even worth that much. What a piece of crap. Paid 12000.00 foe this vehicle in 2010 it was only 5 years old then and has been nothing but a money pit. All because of the rusting. Vehicle is not safe to drive.

- , Ashland, Wisconsin (WI), USA

Feb 262014

Escape XLT

This last winter my back wheel wells rusted out completely. And I missed the recall by a year!

- , Grayling, MI, USA

May 122014

Escape V6

click to see larger images

excessive wheel well rust excessive wheel well rust

while driving escape my daughter began to hear a banging sound rear right area. She mentioned it to me and I thought oh great now it needs shocks.While stopping at a Goodyear shop to get air in tires technician alerted her to a crack in the frame around the wheel well that was totally rusted out with the shock barely holding on.We parked it in the driveway and began calling Ford dealers finding out if this was a known problem.We were told there was a recall for rusty frames for the 2001-2004 but our vehicle wasn't included. We hesitated for weeks deciding to repair or not, will it be safe,etc. we finally had it repaired to the tune of $1500. the wheel well was replaced since there was too much rust.

- , Lackawanna, NY, USA

Jun 272014

Escape XLT 2.3L

I BOUGHT MY 2005 FORD ESCAPE FROM COLUSSY CHEVROLET IN BRIDGEVILLE, PA IN 2012 AND THEY SOLD IT AS A CERTIFIED VEHICLE MEANING THEY WENT OVER IT WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB. I HAVE HAD A CONSTANT RATTLE IN THE CAR ALONG WITH A PING IN THE UNDERSIDE OF THE CAR. I HAD IT IN 3 TIMES AND HAVE SINCE DISCOVERED THAT SOMEONE HAD FILLED IN THE RIGHT REAR PASSENGERS SIDE INNER WHEEL WELL WHICH HAD ROTTED OUT WITH FOAM INSULATION AND THEN COVERED IT WITH SPRAY ON UNDERCOATING. MY REGULAR MECHANIC FOUND IT WHEN HE CHANGED THE REAR SHOCKS OUT ON 6-27-14. HE TOLD ME THE NOISE I AM HEARING IS THE SHOCK TOWER MOVING EVER SO SLIGHTLY WHEN I AM DRIVING HE TOLD ME THAT EVENTUALLY THE SHOCK TOWER WILL COME FREE AND GO UP THROUGH THE TRUNK, POSSIBLY WHILE I AM DRIVING. I AM GOING TO TRY TO CONTACT COLLUSSY CHEVROLET TO ATTEMPT TO RECTIFY THIS ISSUE BECAUSE THE CAR WAS UNDER AN EXTENDED WARRANTY THAT I PURCHASED FROM THEM WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Escape LX 3.0L V6

FOUND RUSTED OUT REAR FENDER WELL, WHEN TALKING TO THE BODY SHOP TO GET REPAIRED THEY SAID THIS WAS THE 8TH ONE THEY HAVE SEEN THIS YEAR.

IF THERE ARE SO MANY WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AT THIS ONE BODY SHOP ALONE, HOW MANY OTHER PLACES HAVE DONE REPAIRS AND HOW MANY DOES IT TAKE FOR FORD TO MAKE IT A RECALL

- , St. Thomas, Ontario, canada

Apr 302014

Escape XLT V6

I purchased my 2005 Ford Escape XLT 4WD used a little less than 3 years ago with 107,000 miles on it. I recently had to put a new transmission in it and alternator at around 119,500 miles. But if I would have known about the rust issue in the wheel well, I would have never ever invested that much money in the transmission.

About a month after getting a new transmission, I started hearing a thumping/banging noise coming from the right rear of the car. I was later washing my car and that's when I noticed the rusted out wheel well. There was a hole near the strut mount. 2 weeks later the rust is worse, more visible holes and now I can actually see the lining from the back seat through a hole. So far I've had two body shops look at it and neither of them want to even attempt to fix it. The left side is also rusted but not nearly like the right side. The body shop also said the rocker panel is rusted from one end to the other. They told me not to even drive it anymore, that it's dangerous!! I cannot believe that FORD has not recalled these cars for this issue.

My mother also has a 2005 Escape and we can start to see rust appear on the wheel well. Her car only has around 56,000 miles. She is already wanting to get rid of hers now before it rusts out like mine has done. I now have a parked car, with no one who wants to fix it and I still owe a significant amount of money on it. I really don't even want to invest anymore money in this "money pit" of a vehicle. I'd like to sell it for parts so that I can at least recover some of the costs of the transmission.

- , Dunbar, WV, USA

May 052014

Escape XLT V6

While driving my 2005 Ford Escape on the expressway, I heard a constant excessive banging noise. I took the car to my mechanic, who informed me that the right rear wheel well had completely rusted out and broke away from the frame of the car. The car is not drivable and is going to cost $865.00 to fix the right wheel well. Hopefully the left side is salvageable.

I am Extremely disappointed with Ford and at this point cannot be convinced to purchase another Ford product.

Ford should take pride and ownership of the product they put on the market and create a car that Americans would want to purchase. When you spend $28,000.00 on a car, you would expect it to last more than 8 years. Perhaps Ford should contact Toyota and find out what they are doing right, since my other car is 14 years old, has 265,000 miles and is better shape!

- , Palos Park, IL, USA

Jul 282014

Escape Sport V6

I started hearing a loud banging sound in the right rear of my Ford Escape. I thought something was loose or wasn't closed properly. My partner took it for a test drive and when he came back looked under the right wheel well and it was totally rusted away exposing the shocks. My repairman I usually use would not even touch it so I took it back to the dealership and they are aware of the DEFECT but there are no recalls. Now I have to pay $800 something dollars for Ford's defect. They have to order the part and hope its not backordered. I've had to take two days off work because they had no vehicle to loan me and my vehicle is not safe to drive. Really disappointed with Ford because it seems to get a recall someone has to get killed or injured first. I've been a loyal customer of Ford for many years because my father retired from Ford. Maybe it's time to look at another brand.

- , Lorain, OH, USA

Apr 182014

Escape XLT 3.0L

I work as a parts manager for a Ford dealeership. I seel a few of these a year ofer the past 3+ years. Knowing this I have been keeping my eyes on it. If Ford Motor Company can recall Freestars for the same issue why can't they do it for the Escape. I know what you are thinking.. tell Ford. I wish it was that easy.

- , Monticello, IA, USA

Mar 102014

Escape Limited

Just found out that my 2005 Ford Escape right rear wheel well has completely rusted out. Only 86,000 miles on it. After checking online, looks like there are many others that have this problem. Ford refuses to do anything, just said that they would report it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. They lied, because I called NHSIA , and asked if Ford reports issues to them and they said NO. So far, only 116 complaints regarding this issue has been filed with them. So everyone with this problem should call NHTSA at 1-800-424-9393 and report it. Ford should really own up to their defective workmanship and make this right.

- , Crown Point, IN, USA

Mar 132014

Escape ES V6

click to see larger images

excessive wheel well rust excessive wheel well rust excessive wheel well rust excessive wheel well rust excessive wheel well rust

There is excessive rust on the rear passenger side wheel well. The rust is so extreme that the shock has gone through the inside of the car.

- , Hinsdale, NY, USA

Jan 312014

Escape V6

I have a 2005 ford escape. I've been the only owner. garage kept when at home. the right back wheel well completely rusted out. the shock mount is totally disconnected from my suv !! this is horribly unsafe and can not be driven. ford says "we never heard of this issue" so I told them to google this problem and see the hundreds of other complaints. THEY SAID THEY NEED 1000 PEOPLE TO COMPLAIN BEFORE THEY WILL DO A RECALL. they said they cant even fix the issue. so far 2 shops said they will not fix it due to liability reasons since its the frame of the car.

I have contacted the media. I will never buy a ford again and will make sure I blast this all over social media too to warn anyone that owns a ford escape to get rid of it asap.

- , Aliquippa, PA, USA

Feb 042014

Escape Limited 3.2L V6

05 Limited 150,000 miles

Mine was so bad it wasn't connected anymore. Thank God my dad is an awesome body guy because within a week he fixed it. He cut out the remaining rust (which was almost none) and added a whole new section. I have almost a brand new wheel well. He put flex seal on the outside and inside so it wouldn't rust again and no water salt etc would get in there. that was on my passenger side. my drivers side started so he put a tiny new piece on there also. He said its the worst hes seen on an 2005. I contacted Ford but they wouldn't do anything and its common because every escape I see I look at their wheel well and its rusted. I'm just lucky to have a dad who fixed it. He said it was a pain the in butt and no other shop would touch it because it complicated. Went to Ford and they said around $2000 to fix it. Then they tried selling me the WHOLE quarter panel for $500. DO NOT DO IT! They have the piece we need its just on back order. So really, you cant get it. I would find someone who does work out the their garage and see if they'll do it. If not, I would look for another car because these Escapes suck with the wheel well and other issues. I have a loan and its my first loan ever so I needed it fixed. I love the car, but geese, cmon Ford, DO SOMETHING! Your going to loose customers, and once my loan is up, I'm never buying a Ford again. EVER! Good Luck Guys!

- , Crown Point, IN, USA

Jan 012014

Escape 3lV6

We have a 2005 Ford escape with excessive wheel well rusting, so much so that the top of the shocker is no longer connected to anything.

So far we have written to Ford, no answer, tried to get part, currently unavailable, written to NHTSA, no action. Most local body shops don't even want to attempt a repair.

Ford Recalled the Freestar van for the same problem, if enough people complain maybe they will do the same for us.

- , Saint Joseph, MI, USA

May 012013

Escape Limited 3.4L V6

I have a 2005 Ford Escape with severe corrosion on the rear right wheel well. I contacted Ford Motor Co. multiple times but I get no help. The shock absorber broke through the wheel well and is no longer mounted to it. The other wheel wells are fine. Went researching online and found hundreds if not thousands of people with the same exact problem. The car is not safe to drive and could cause injury or death to myself and others since the car is not stable when turning or diving on highway. Seems like there is a good enough evidence to blame Ford for this malfunction on their behalf. There would be much appreciation if anyone could help settle this issue. Thanks

- , Ravenna, MI, USA

Sep 152013

Escape Limited 4.6L V6

Discovered excessive rusting condition on both the back wheel wells were the shocks attach. Car was making a rattling noise, had my mechanic look it over when the rust condition was discover. My mechanic indicated that he has not seen this type of excessive rusting occurring on a vehicle 2005. Have to take the vehicle to multiple places until I found someone to repair. It appears that the spray on undercoating that FORD added to the wheel well area was trapping water, salt, etc.. enhance the rusting process. It just seems unbelievable that this area would rust out this quickly and the remainder of the vehicle if fine. Purchase this 05 Escape new and also purchase a new 11 Escape. I sure hope this do not occur again. It just makes me sick seeing it and having to dealing with this. U would expect a better product that will last longer.

- , Massillon, OH, USA