CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

9.3

$1,269.00

2. replace wheel well (25 reports)
  3. replace/rebuild shock tower (9 reports)
  4. repaired effected areas (6 reports)
  5. ford should recall (5 reports)
  6. it's a junk and not a safe car (4 reports)
2005 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Nov 012016

Escape

2005 Ford Escape right rear inner fender well completely rusted, shock through body. Outrageous quotes for repair. Left side fine, numerous information about Ford knowing about problem but refusing to recall/help. Safety hazard.

- , Fairgrove, MI, USA

Oct 262016

Escape XLT V6

• CVT transmission

excessive wheel well/shock tower rust

People having this issue should consider the auxiliary bracket option more than the replacement of the whole panel. Ordered my repair kit on ebay and fixed it for $240. Fairly easy to install with clear instructions. See this link for the complete repair kit (for the right side):

- , Aberdeen, OH, USA

Nov 042016

Escape

Started hearing the knocking around, seemingly coming from the trunk/rear passenger side wheel well, thinking it might be the shocks absorbers/struts… And then stumbled upon the boatload of problems that everyone around here seems to also be facing. I have an 06 Ford Escape, but 05 seems to be where most of the action on here is going on.

That said, I stumbled upon a fix under the 06 forum; On EBay, Rear RIGHT Shock Mount Rust Repair PARTIAL Kit, is an alternative to the welding work. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rear-RIGHT-Shock-Mount-Rust-Repair-PARTIAL-kit-Ford-Escape-Mazda-Tribute-/252424125259

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Oct 042016

Escape SPE 4 Cyl

Would like this repaired at no cost, can't afford to fix this dangerous problem it is costly. my vechile runs great and that's the only area with rust I also no there is a lot of people with the same issue been driving like this for awhile notice noise now I can see the problem hen I break my back end is unstable are you people waiting for law suites

- , Whitby, ON, Canada

Sep 102016

Escape XLT 3.8L, V6

I have a 2005 Ford Escape. It started to make a pounding sound in the back. We looked at the rear passenger wheel well and the shock mount is rusted out. I have googled this and lots of people are having the issue.

- , Monmouth, IL, USA

Jul 112016

Escape ES 3.2L V6

Ford absolutely should recall the 2005 Ford Escape for this reason. I have spent several thousand dollars in the past few years to keep my car running as long as possible. Ford raves of its quality and longevity in the industry, yet is not accountable to a structural flaw that they are undoubtedly VERY AWARE of and is stranding people who do not have finances to simply replace a vehicle on command. Not only that, the rusting out frame that the rear shocks are attached to is a VERY DANGEROUS problem. It does not present itself until it is too late to be prevented. A shock can puncture a tire, puncture the rear cargo compartment, cause an accident, etc.

FORD, do a RECALL and show integrity for those who have been loyal customers and diligent car owners.

The rear drivers side shock on my vehicle broke, which is what lead me to researching the problem. One week ago I had both rear shocks replaced. It took only 50 miles for the rear passenger shock to start separating from the wheel well. The frame is significantly rusted out, which was not visible until the shock started pulling the outer layer away from the frame. The inner layer is beyond help. I will be looking into a welding repair, but am not certain the investment will be worth it.

This is nearly criminal, in my opinion, and should be resolved by Ford IMMEDIATELY.

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jan 272016

Escape XTL

I HAVE MOSTLY OWNED FORD VEHICLES AND THEY WERE ALL HORRIBLE AS FAR AS PAINT CHIPPING , RUSTING OUT AND SUSPENION ISSUES. THIS WILL DEF BE MY LAST FORD VEHICLE, THEY COST TOO MUCH TO PURCHASE AND THEN TO MAINTAIN.

- , Salem, NH, USA

Sep 012015

Escape

$400 to have the auxiliary support kit bolted on the frame. Problem solved!

- , Naperville, IL, USA

Feb 022016

Escape XLT V6

• CVT transmission

Took the car in after I started hearing this clunking noise from the back. Seems like there are hundreds of stories like mine...

Fortunately, I have choosen the best option I have been able to find out on forums and I installed the auxiliary shock mount kit that I ordered from Ebay 190$ + shipping (type ford escape shock mount, comes from Canada). I am not quite familiar to mechanics but I have to say this installation was quite easy with the instructions provided with the kit (you don't need any particular knowledge to do it, just owning a drill and a grinder is about all what you really need. The bracket and the patch are holding on quite good since.

- , Milburn, NE, USA

Feb 062016

Escape LX 3.0L

Front sub-frame and rear strut tower rusted on right side only, vehicle is 10 years old and unsafe to drive.

- , Bolton, ON, Canada

May 132015

Escape LXS 3.0L

This is a rust problem, bad steel, Ford should fix it.

- , Rockwood, MI, USA

Jan 052016

Escape Limited 3.0L V6

excessive wheel well/shock tower rust excessive wheel well/shock tower rust

Rear passenger shock tower completely rusted through on my 2005 Ford Escape. I'm a partially disabled college student so this is a major problem for me. This is way beyond my finances. If there is a law suit brewing... SIGN ME UP!!! I have pictures of this damage.

- , Peshtigo, WI, USA

Oct 142015

Escape Limited 3.0L

I bought this escape and didn't see any wheel well rust, until I washed the wheel wells out and started to remove the under coating and put my hand though the wheel well into the inside of the back area. I then looked at the other side that to had the starts of rusting out like the other side. Now this escape had an inspection done on 12/14. Its lucky that I checked the under the under coating to see the issue if I didn't do that it would have been to late I my wife, the shock and mount would have ripped though and most likely had an accident. It cost $950.00 to fix. I have checked other escape's in that year range and the owners couldn't believe what I showed them, because you have to remove the under coating to see all the issue. Its an hidden issue and need's to be addressed by Ford. this escape only had 121,000 on it and always garaged. Its a major flaw.

- , Ellsworth, ME, USA

Sep 012015

Escape XLT

I have the car regularly checked, especially the brakes which were recently serviced, and the rear tires were replaced at the same time. Weeks later, I noticed a strange noise from the rear of the car and when I had it checked I was told that excessive rust in the wheel wells has occurred and the car is not safe to drive. The cost to repair it far exceeds the value of the car. I don't want to sell it because if it's not safe for me, it's not safe for anyone to drive. I haven't decided what to do yet, but I am disappointed that this apparent defect hasn't been addressed by Ford. At this point I believe my only option is to donate the car to a charity in the hopes that it will only be used for parts. I hope that by posting this complaint, somehow Ford will be put on notice that they are putting the safety of its customers at risk.

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Sep 142015

Escape LX 3.2L

I have had Chevrolet's for most of my life and never had anything like this happen....I was hoping to get at least 250,000 miles out of this vehicle....

- , Peebles, OH, USA

Sep 132015

excessive wheel well/shock tower rust excessive wheel well/shock tower rust

I just bought this used Ford Escape last year. It is only 10 years old and now the rear wheel is rusting out! I had it looked at at a trusted body shop in Indianapolis. They basically said it would cost more to repair it than the SUV is worth! I am a college student paying my own way through college. With other complaints about 2005 Escapes rusting wheel wells, Ford should make this right!

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 252015

Escape 4X2 XLS 4-2.3L

excessive wheel well/shock tower rust excessive wheel well/shock tower rust

I have always bought Ford Vehicles we bought this in mid July, 0 miles, 2005 Ford Escape, brand new. Never had any problems with this vehicle, just maintenance and tires replaced 3 times, oil changes. Was hit in the front end on the passenger side on August 31 when I took it to the repair shop, I told my insurance company that I think something happened to the back because right after I was hit I keep hearing this banging on the passenger side.When the mechanic went to look he told me this is all rusted out and told me $2000 to fix it. My jaw dropped. He also told me this is an issues with Ford Escapes rusting out on the passenger rear wheel well.

This vehicle was well taken care of I have a attached to pictures One pic is the driver side and the second pic is of the passenger side, driver side is fine some rust. This vehicle washed and waxed every weekend all year until it got cold then power washed each time the weather broke. Very disappointed this was a good reliable Vehicle for my family. If anyone knows what I can do besides trade it in please tell me.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 292015

Escape XLT

excessive wheel well/shock tower rust

Same complaint as everyone else rearding this problem. It's a safety issue due to a defect and Ford refuses to acknowledge. Next step a Class Action Lawsuit. Anyone who wants to join in this contact me via e-mail hartzog115@aol.com I am in the process of speaking to an attorney regarding this lawsuit.

If you are on Facebook sign up to discuss this problem and join the lawsuit

- , Carbondale, PA, USA

Jun 182015

Escape Limited V6

I am one more victim of this sorry manufacturing job by Ford. One does expect some body rust perhaps, when your car is 10 years old and has 127,000 miles, but you don't expect the suspension to come apart; that is essentially what happens when a strut mount rusts out and your vehicle becomes undriveable. Took it to a tire and suspension shop, they couldn't help. They called a body shop, and the body shop asked them "Is it the right rear?" They had seen this problem before. So that's where I took it. The repair looks good but now I'm $2,300 further into this car, and I'm not sure how interested another individual or a dealer will be in buying it.

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Oct 032015

Escape

Having the same issue as most with major rust in the right rear quarter panel / shock area. It's BAD. Just wanted to make sure everyone who is having a similar challenge CALLS FORD TO FILE A COMPLAINT and save your repair receipts incase this eventually becomes a recall. Call it in, report it. 1.800.392.3673

- , Chicago, IL, USA