CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2.1

2005 Ford Escape seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Apr 222014

Escape

Airbag light is yellow. Was told my airbags will not inflate in a accident. The unit that controls the airbags also controls the locks on the doors. The doors no longer lock on take off. Doesn't warn you that the front passenger isn't seat belted in. The unit is under the console and is hard to replace so I was told and would cost me over $500. Which I can't afford. I feel it is a safety issue that should be covered by Ford Motor Company. I was told not enough owners are having a problem with this therefore it isn't a recall issue.

- Remus, MI, USA

Nov 192011

Escape 4-cyl

1. on or near November 19, 2011, a spring from the clutch pedal broke. It seems to be one that returns the pedal to its default position as I have to lift up on it from beneath with my foot to get it back to its regular height. I'm concerned that it may cause premature wear on the clutch if it does not return to its standard rest position. The spring broke while the car was parked before driving. --------------------------------- 2. in late 2011, I began to notice the driver's seat belt begin to fray on the bottom (lap side). This is my first experience with a seat belt wearing out, and I generally keep my vehicles at least ten years (all previously owned). I've had this one for only 3 1/2 years and it's a total of 6 years old.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 232011

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the driver side seat belt would not unlatch which prevented the contact from exiting the vehicle. The contact had to cut the seat belt in order to exit the vehicle. The dealer diagnosed that the seat belt sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 59,850 and the current mileage was 60,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Andrews, NC, USA

Dec 102008

Escape

Rear center seat belt retractor seizes in fully retracted position, precluding center seat passenger from securing seatbelt.

- Lee, MA, USA