Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 172013

Escape 6-cyl

The right rear upper shock mount completely rusted thru the trunk area&was protruding up about a foot into trunk area-very glad I wasn't going fast when this happened!!most likely would have lost control of vehicle!!!!!!!!!this is one of Ford best ideas ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!very thin sheet metal with a thicker piece welded to it to support 1 side of a vehicle.yeah, that is common sense at the finest!!!!! thankyou Ford engineers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&designers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! these same common sense people hopefully put out a recall so people can get it fixed&get some money back!! I did have mine fixed right away_it's the only vehicle I have.

- Kennerdell, PA, USA

Sep 182012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that there was an oil leak from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the high power steering hose needed to be replaced. The contact was unable to have the vehicle repaired because the parts needed to complete the repair were not available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 90,000.

- Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

Jul 242012

Escape 6-cyl

Was on an access road onto interstate 4 in tampa, car completely shut down and I was able to barely steer it to the side of the road, since it was a large overpass I had more than typical room to get the car stopped. Later I was told by the Ford dealership that coils were damaged and PCM computer went out. I checked and I found numerous complaints for this same issue with cost to fix it from $1300 to $2700. Evidently Ford is aware of this total engine shut down problem that is caused by a computer failure. In most cases people are driving the car and it completely stalls with little or no warning and minimal maneuverability. I was fortunate it happened on the overpass and not on the busy interstate.

- Indian Rocks Beach, FL, USA

Mar 172008

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle was very difficult to steer and would sporadically shake violently. The dealer made two attempts to duplicate the failure by replacing the rack and pinion however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 203,481 and the approximate failure mileage was 79,500.

- Hempstead, TX, USA

Aug 242011

Escape 4-cyl

Loud squeaky noise from right front end. Took to mechanic. They say both front grease boots are cracked which allows dirt, dust, etc. To get in and up around the ball joints and tie rod assemblies. The right front ball joint had gone bad due to this boot crack so we had to replace it. They recommend replacing both tie rods, boots and ball joints, but we could only afford to replace the ball joint that was bad at this time because we just spent $3350 putting a new transmission in the car. This vehicle has less than 50,000 miles on it. Unbelievable!!!! what is Ford building these cars with"?" I suspect the cheapest parts they can get regardless of their quality so they can make more money. In the meantime the average working family has to pay twice for a vehicle's parts that should not go bad so quickly.

- Kettering, OH, USA

May 202011

I am a wedding photographer and while traveling about 4.5 hours away from home to shoot a wedding I had problems about 2 hours into my trip. I was on interstate 20 just outside of columbia, SC. I was in the left hand lane behind a semi truck, there was another semi truck in the right lane beside me and behind me I had a large van. I was going about 65-70 when suddenly, the car lost all power including the steering and all the warning lights blinked on. I somehow regained control of the car by shifting in neutral and restarting. I hate to think what would have happened had I not been able to react as fast as I did as the van behind me had to slam on his breaks to keep from hitting me. Once the semi truck was cleared of the right lane I got over and turned on my flashers. Since I had it running I was too scared to pull over on the side. I got to my nearest exit and pulled over. I turned off the vehicle and all the warning lights went off except the ABS and the check engine light. I restarted and drove about a mile to a mechanic. They could not see anything wrong but heard the misfire. The car was towed to classic Ford in columbia, SC. I had to rent a car to finish my trip as I couldn't let down a couple about to be married. I just got the estimate to the tune of over $2700. It's the PCM module along with coil, spark plugs and a few other things. I am now debating about weather to fix it or not as all the reviews I have read it seems like people continue to have problems after it's fixed. It sounds like Ford really needs to figure out a way to fix this chronic problem before someone dies in an accident.

- Little River, SC, USA

Apr 082011

Escape 4-cyl

Took my 2005 Ford Escape in for an inspection and was told it would not pass unless I had the left front tie rod replaced. Before Friday, I had never even heard of a tie rod, much less had to have one replaced. I had several used vehicles before I got my new Escape in 2004 and none of them ever had to have a tie rod replaced. Long story short, both front tie rods were replaced, a front end alignment had to be performed and all total it cost me $690. I'm very upset about it, because I take excellent care of my car and was having no steering problems whatsoever. I would like to know if there was a recall on this part that I wasn't made aware of and if anyone else had to have one or more tie rods replaced.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Aug 012010

When entering a highway we hit a deep groove in the road and then proceeded onto the highway. Within 10 seconds the car wheels and steering wheel went out of control. The car weaved and bobbed for about 200 feet uncontrollable. I was told the steering rack and tie rod snapped. We hit someone while our car spun around into on coming traffic and we flew into the guard rail at such force the car lifted and got lodged on the guard rail. This probably saved our lives because at that point we had done a 180 and were facing oncoming traffic. Can not get an help from Ford.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Jul 152008

Noticed a rattling in front end, creaking noise when turning towards the right, after taking it to the dealership and them telling me it was not covered under my bumper to bumper warranty, I took it to a front-end specialist in my town. The passengers sway bar link had to be replaced, now 3 months later, same noise different side. Took it to the same place and they had to replace the drivers side sway bar link. The front end place commented that they fix a large number of these on Escapes, more than any other car. Currently the parts can only be bought from Ford, which means they will go bad again in 2 1/2 years!

- Oxford, MI, USA

Oct 282006

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

2005 Ford Escape. Noise in the front end while driving down the road at any speed. Has been to the dealer for service on three separate appointments for the same thing. First they said it was due to a recall on the power steering pressure hose. The second time they blamed it on tire rotation need. The third and final time to this particular service department, they said it was in need of a four wheel alignment but the noise would still be present. The vehicle did not pull left or right. I refused their service this time but they didn't seem to care about losing a customer. That was their demeanor everytime I went there.

- North East, PA, USA

May 202005

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

2005 Ford Escape XLT: Pulls to the left, vibration in front, steering poor. It's been serviced at the dealer 3 times: At 2000 miles, 2600 miles, and 3800 miles. It's going back a 4th time. Thank god for the lemon law in mn. This is a serious steering defect from the factory. Ford needs to correct this before they loose all market share to quality manufacturers like Honda and Toyota.

- Champlin, MN, USA