CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 17 of 19)

Aug 172013

Escape 6-cyl

The right rear upper shock mount completely rusted thru the trunk area&was protruding up about a foot into trunk area-very glad I wasn't going fast when this happened!!most likely would have lost control of vehicle!!!!!!!!!this is one of Ford best ideas ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!very thin sheet metal with a thicker piece welded to it to support 1 side of a vehicle.yeah, that is common sense at the finest!!!!! thankyou Ford engineers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&designers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! these same common sense people hopefully put out a recall so people can get it fixed&get some money back!! I did have mine fixed right away_it's the only vehicle I have.

- Kennerdell, PA, USA

Jul 102013

Escape

I've been hearing some loud noises/bangs from the back end of my car but couldn't figure out what it was. I found out the entire rear passenger wheel well had rusted out in a 1/2 circle around the shock. The shock was no longer attached to the car. Everytime it went over a bump - it sounds like my trunk is picking up and slamming down. I have very minimal rust on my car and the other wheel wells are in very good condition. If you open the compartment where the jack is stored in my trunk you can see my tire through a hole. I have seen dozens and dozens of online complaints for the same passenger side wheel well rusted out causing the shock to disconnect but Ford has not put out a recall and it costing $1200-$1800 to repair.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jul 292010

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that upon inspection, it was found that the passenger's side rear shock had penetrated the body of the vehicle due to rust. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was confirmed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000. The current mileage was 90,000.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Jul 242013

Escape

The right rear shock mount has rusted out, and now bangs against the wheel housing.

- Houghton, MI, USA

Jul 112013

Escape 6-cyl

The wheel well rusted out and the shock broke loose and was banging around. Basically the whole wheel well is rusted out and will not hold the shock any more. I called the local Ford dealer to see if there was a recall. I was told there was no recall. When I searched online I found many with the same experience, and even a facebook page. I'm disappointed that Ford isn't taking care of this.

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Feb 042013

Escape 4-cyl

Right rear wheel housing that also is the top right rear shock mount is completely rusted loose.

- Bourbonnais, IL, USA

Jun 242013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving my vehicle home from work, I heard a clanging sound coming from the rear passenger side. Thinking the shock needed to be replaced, I drove it until the end of the week and made an appointment to get it serviced. While the technician was checking out my car he noticed the inner wheel house and shock were completely rusted. The shock was detached from the vehicle and the frame is rusted and cracked. He recommended me to take it to a body shop to see if it could even be fixed. I then took it to a very reputable body shop in my town and they have never seen anything like this before. They work on all make and models of different years and said this is not normal wear and tear to a vehicle. They said underneath the vehicle is made to sustain any type of condition and this vehicle was poorly made. There is barely anything holding the back end of the vehicle together and for this reason I was told the vehicle is unsafe to drive because if I am in any sort of accident there will be no protection to me and the vehicle will probably be split in two. Due to the location of the defect who knows how long my vehicle has been dangerous to drive and it makes me sick to think about what could have happened if I was in an accident and I have had my two young children in my backseat. The estimate from the body shop was over $13,000 to fix. I have had this vehicle since 2005 and it has been a great, reliable car until all this has happened. It has not been in any accidents or had any other major repairs.

- Clinton, IA, USA

Jul 092013

Escape

While driving on interstate, hit a bump and heard loud sound on right rear side of vehicle. After I stopped to inspect, found that the right rear strut had no support as the right rear inner panel was corroded all the way through with very thin metal around the entire area. Luckily the strut did not come up through interior. Seems very unsafe and likely to cause accident if driven. This appears to a manufacturers defect as the corrosion protection was not applied correctly. I called Ford motor customer service and they just indicated that there we no recalls yet on this problem. This seems to be a problem on the 2004-2005 Ford Escapes on the right rear. I took to body shop and have estimates from $1,400 to $1,700 to repair. The vehicle is in very good shape except for this one obvious defect.

- Paxton, IL, USA

Jun 012013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving my Ford Escape, the right rear shock punched through the right rear fender well becoming unattached. After further inspection the fender well and part of the shock mount was completely rusted out and unable to support the shock. I have notified the Ford dealer and Ford's customer relations and was told they know of no problem and that the car is out of warranty and nothing they can do. After researching this problem on the web, I've found a number of Ford Escape owners who have the same right rear fender well rust problems. This leads me to believe that it must be Ford manufacturing defect in rust proofing their materials and they should stand behind their products. There should be a recall before someone gets hurt.

- East Peoria, IL, USA

May 082013

Escape

Vehicle was sold to me with the rear passenger side wheel well wear the shock, tire, and fuel system is located it is corroded off its frame. There is no recall or possible part in the us to be found for repair also the dealership said I was the cause of this problem and they would do nothing to help me or refund my money or exchange vehicles as they were informed of the problem and shown the vehicle not even 22 days later from purchase date.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 292013

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, he heard a loud pop. The contact stopped the vehicle and upon further examination, noticed that the rear passenger side strut mount had become detached from the vehicle due to corrosion. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 141,000.

- Ballston Lake, NY, USA

Jun 012013

Escape

Right rear wheel housing rusts completely through allowing the shock to detach from the vehicle. After an online search this is a very common incident. After contacting the local Ford dealer, there is a back-order on the right rear wheel housing with no expected date of delivery. This is the only wheel housing on the vehicle that is rusting out and causing issues. The only time you start to realize that there is an issue is if you start the hear a "clunk" coming from the car, however; there is a rubberized undercoat that prevents you from seeing the damage until it is too late or a knowledgeable mechanic with the issue looks specifically at the wheel housing.

- Eaton, NY, USA

Jun 142013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the road when I started hearing a loud banging noise coming from the back of my Escape. I pulled over to the side of the road to inspect what could be banging around, didn't see anything. Drove the Escape over the weekend the noise kept getting louder, started inspecting the whole outside of the car that is when I noticed the whole rear passenger side wheel well had rusted away and nothing was supporting the shock. Vehicle looks unsafe to drive.

- Willis, MI, USA

Jun 122013

Escape 6-cyl

Rear wheel well around shock mount is rusted out. Loud banging can be heard from inside cab. Over time the shock mount may break free from the body of the vehicle.

- Mentor On The Lake, OH, USA

May 302013

Escape

The rear wheel well where the shock is located the whole frame panel is cracked, it was covered up from a previous owner or company. The car dealership I'm purchasing from would not take responsibility for it and I explained the hazard in me driving or keeping the vehicle and I took it to several body shops and was told it happens with these vehicles frequently and one shop had already done 3 of the same areas. There is no recall or information about the vehicles issues but this is a danger to drive.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 142013

Escape

While driving a loud crack/pop was heard from the passenger rear wheel and then there was road noise. When we stopped there was a large hole in the wheel well around the shock mount. All the metal has rusted through. The shock has no attachment left to the upper body, only along the bottom edge. When the vehicle bounces it moves independently of the shock in that corner. I opened up the interior compartment, removed the carpet and trim pieces to get a look and found a hole that is large enough to put my hand through. This car has less than 78,000 miles. The tires and brakes were replaced in the fall and no signs of damage were present at that time due to the undercoating being in place.

- Merrillville, IN, USA

Apr 062013

Escape 6-cyl

I heard unusual road noise and experienced looseness near the rear passenger side tire. Upon inspection, I determined that the rear wheel well had corroded through, compromising the rear strut. The hole extends nearly 12 inches, exposing the passenger compartment. The extent of the corrosion was not apparent prior to this incident because the wheel well coating covered the defect. After locating this corrosion, a further inspection of the vehicle was completed, but none of the other wheel wells exhibit similar corrosion. Due to the severe corrosion of this body panel, the car cannot be safely driven because the rear strut is being held in place by only a tiny portion of the structural panel. If I had not located this defect in time, it is likely that the strut would have become detached from the vehicle frame while driving and would have caused an accident.

- Whitehouse, OH, USA

Apr 032013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that they heard a loud thump coming from the rear passenger side wheel well. The contact inspected the vehicle and saw that the rear shock was detached from the vehicle and the wheel well was rusted. The vehicle had not been to the dealer at the time of the complaint. The failure and current mileages were 105,000.

- North Olmstead, OH, USA

Mar 152013

Escape 6-cyl

The passenger side rear wheel well is rusted to the point of non-drivability. This is a sincere safety issue. No notice of the problem until the "rubberized" coating pealed away to showcase the massive rust holes.

- Agawam, MA, USA

Mar 092013

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear passenger side wheel well was completely rusted. The contact stated that there was a hole in the wheel well. In addition, whenever the contact traveled over a road bump, there was a loud bang from the rear of the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and the vehicle was determined to be unfit to drive. The contact spoke with the manufacturer and was told that the dealer deemed the vehicle unfit to drive because the strut and wheel well were detached from the vehicle. The dealer stated that it was only a matter of time before the rear passenger side wheel would detach from the vehicle. The current mileage was 97,000. Kmj the consumer stated while driving, he hit a large pot hole, and then he heard a huge bang from the rear of the vehicle. He thought nothing of it, so as he continued to drive, the noise became worse. When he arrived home, he opened the compartment and found the inside was damp with water. Upon further inspection, he noticed he could see through the inside of the vehicle into the street through a newly formed hole in the passenger rear wheel well. The crack started at the rear of the tire well to about the middle of the tire. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but Ford didn't want to claim any responsibility. The rust was in an area that nobody noticed, as it was behind the sealer that was out in the tire wells of vehicles in the northcast. Ford inspected the vehicle, and informed the consumer, it was not safe to drive, as the suspension was compromised. The strut was very loose and he witnessed the crack get even bigger, as he tried to drive it back from the dealer. Also, the consumer had problems with the reverse lights flickering on and off. When he took the vehicle to the dealer, he was informed a new switch was needed. He declined the replacement. The consumer believed that may have been a symptom of the rust and the wires getting wet. Updated 12/04/13

- Waltham, MA, USA