CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 19)

Jan 282016

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear of the vehicle emitted a loud snapping noise, while driving at 60 mph. The contact discovered that the rear passenger struts corroded causing the rear passenger shocks to fracture, separating from the wheel well. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Natrona Heights, PA, USA

Jan 022016

Escape

Loud banging coming from right rear of vehicle driving down city street. Brought vehicle in for repair and was told the right rear passenger shock tower was completely rusted through the vehicle body to the point of entering the vehicle interior. I am told that the rear axle can tear away from the vehicle resulting in accident and possible injury or death.

- Peshtigo, WI, USA

Sep 152015

Escape

Right rear shock mount completely rusted out, bought car brand new, only 60,000 miles on it. Come to find out all Ford Escapes this year are having the same issue. This is a serious problem because this is a suspension and handling issue, car was very difficult to drive and keep in lane. The problem has it's own facebook page, 2004-2006 Ford Escape. Very poor engineering design mounting shock to sheetmetal.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Dec 212015

Escape

My son was complaining that the back end of the car began rattling and "jumping" while driving in the city in Nov of 2015. We had it checked out in Dec and was told and shown how unsafe the car was to drive, due to the entire right rear wheel well and strut was completely rusted away. The only thing that was holding the wheel to the car was the plastic molding of the trunk area which was also melting away from the heat.I could not believe a car could disintegrate and deteriorate so badly. In good conscious the auto repair owner would not allow us to drive the car anymore. Nor would I want to. Plus, the cost to fix it was not worth the price of the car, and he couldnt fix it. He told me to list it on craigs list to sell the car in parts. The rest of the car is in great condition, after I spent $6000, to buy the car in Aug of 2014, then another $2000 for 4 new tires, brake lines, and oil leaks!! who knows what else would have come up. I just glad my son did not get hurt driving home from college 21/2 hrs on the highway. I wish I knew about this exact common problem of 1000 other peoples complaints. Ford needs to be accountable of the particular problem of faulty material. I do not know how many people have gotten hurt, and how many more need to get hurt before something is done,

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Dec 202015

Escape

The passenger rear wheel well and shock tower is completely rusted away and the body is coming away from the frame and the shock tower is loose from the frame. This is a common problem with the Escape and should be addressed by Ford before someone is killed or injuried.

- Polo, IL, USA

Oct 012015

Escape

I've been told the rear shock mount has rusted out on this unibody constructed vechicle. When I drive the car, and if I hit any sort of a bump in the road, huge sound from the back as if the rear end of the car is going to fall off. I understand many others have had similar problem. Cost to fix, if possible is about $4000. Car is worth about the same amount. I was told by auto body guy that a recall on this may exist or that Ford is aware of the problem and may be offering up a fix.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Oct 092015

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, an abnormal noise emitted from the vehicle without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rear passenger wheel well had separated from the body of vehicle and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 99,000.

- Mayville, WI, USA

Nov 242015

Escape

Heard a noise near rear wheel house. Upon inspection it was discovered that the wheel house on the passenger rear was completely rusted to the point that the shock was just barely hanging on. The repair would cost more than the vehicle is worth. Lots of complaints on same issue that Ford refuses to address or correct. Should be compensation and/or a recall. Also looks like the same thing is happening to the other side. Nice job Ford!

- Homestead, FL, USA

Nov 152014

Escape

The passenger side rear wheel well is completely rusted out. The strut is no longer connected to the body of the car.

- Franklin, IN, USA

Aug 232015

Escape

Was driving along city street when I went over a small bump, heard a loud thud! the wheel well on back passenger side was rusted away where the strut connects. Or where it was once connected... 155,673 miles, this is my only vehicle and unsafe to drive my family in.

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Nov 142015

Escape

Son came home one day said there is a lot of nosie int the back of the Escape. Once looking inside the back of the truck, I noticed I could see the driveway and tire. Once I went to look in the wheel well, I could see a very large hole in the wheel wheel. Total rust out of passenger side inner wheel well and shock tower. The hole has to to be at least 16" wide and 13" height. The rear shock is completely disconnected from the body sheet metal. It is only being held in place by the lower shock absorber bolt and nut. Vehicle only has about 100,000 miles. Totally afraid to let my son drive this to college. Siting in driveway until I can find someone to fix it. Called two Ford dealerships and said there is not recall and it is up to me to find someone to fix it. They told me over the phone it would be $5,000 to repair this. This will be the last Ford we ever buy if we have to scrape this because of this issue. Al. dapoz

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Oct 302015

Escape

While driving the vehicle, there was a noise in the back passenger side of the vehicle when going over bumps only. We could not locate the noise inside the vehicle. (it sounds like the glass or the tire jack, were not secure.) the auto shop explained, that the vehicle is not attached to the shock, and it along with exhaust is coming in through the truck area. Explained that the vehicle was a ┐death trap┐ if hit from behind, the vehicle that hit this one would go right though this vehicle. Accorded to the auto shop, the issue is not fixable.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Nov 072015

Escape

2005 Ford Escape rear left inner wheel well rusted through and shock support broken loose it has 150,000 miles on it.

- Edwardsville, KS, USA

Oct 202015

Escape

My passenger rear end is all rusted out and the shock has come thru my vehicle. It sounds horrible, and was told it was very unsafe to drive, as the shock isn't connected to the body of the vehicle now. It will cost more then it's worth, and this is the only vehicle that I have to drive me and my family around in.

- Eaton Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 182015

Escape

After hitting pothole a loud banging sound was heard coming from rear storage area on passenger side. Vehicle was taken to service shop and was shown that rear passenger wheel well was completely rusted out leading to shock tower breaking loose from body and protruding into the rear cabin area. Service manager said this was likely due to catastrophic failure of body integrity in that area and stated that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. He also stated that he had seen this on other 2005 Ford vehicles (Windstar van). Given the construction of the body the service manager stated that the affected portion would need to be cut out and custom fabricated to replace the cut out area, likely costing nearly as much as the vehicle is worth.

- Onalaska, WI, USA

Oct 182015

Escape

When I was driving down the interstate at 70 mph, I began to hear a clunking sound from the rear passenger side. It happened every time I hit even a small bump or crack. When I took it to the body shop, they discovered the passenger side rear wheel well is corroded; rust/rot has caused the shock mount to become nearly completely detached from the frame. It is unsafe to drive, and body shops won't even provide an estimate for repairs as the deterioration is too extensive, and they can't fix it. A quick online search shows this is an ongoing issue with 2005 Escapes, and must be addressed for safety. The body shop owner told me not to take the car on the interstate because if I were to hit a bump at 65 mph, I would be "asking a lot of this car to hold together." The clunking sound is now consistent no matter what speed or surface I am driving on.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Sep 302015

Escape

Wheel well rotted out causing shock to break loose and create unsafe vehicle. I was driving down the street when it finally let go and saw debris fall all over road and heard a loud bang from passenger side rear of car.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Oct 072015

Escape

Our 2005 Ford Escape has rusted through behind the right rear tire. We heard like a loud bang when driving it and found the wheel well is rusted and broken as is the shock tower and the right rear tail light has its wires cut due to the broken frame. We owe money on this vehicle and we cannot drive it right now. This is definitely a safety issue and we have contacted Ford with all the pertinent information.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Oct 012015

Escape

2005 Ford Escape, have had a lot of clunking in back of car, and the rear right wheel well is falling/rusting apart (other wheel wells are not, just rear passenger side) right where shock absorber is mounted. Large rusted out hole in wheel well, and if I press around the wheel well, the black coating crumbles revealing crumbling rust behind it. Many other 2005 Escape owners with same issue. I have no money to fix this; this is a dangerous flaw should it break through while driving at high speeds. Should be recalled and fixed by Ford. It can't be said this is just "normal wear and tear" when only the one wheel well is consistently the one that is rusting while the other wheel wells do not. I have 125K on my Escape, but who knows how long the hole has been there.

- Garden City, MI, USA

Oct 052015

Escape

Passenger side rear wheel well is completetly rotted/rusted and involves shock mount. It is unsafe to drive and research shows that this is an ongoing problem with this model. I heard rattling when I went over a bump and when I looked at the rear carriage of the vehicle I saw that the wheel well was totally destroyed by rust.

- Carbondale, PA, USA