8.5

1. replace window (32 reports)
  3. replace latch and back window (7 reports)
2005 Ford Escape windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 092014

Escape Limited

My Escape's rear window just exploded out of the blue. I read on other complaints that this can be caused by the defrost on the rear window. I DID NOT have the defroster on. What gives? How can so many people with Ford SUVs have the same problem & Ford has never issued a recall for people's safety!! If I had my son in the car glass would have hit him.

Very upset that Ford has had complaints since late 90s & ALL of its 2000 models. To this day they still haven't issued a recall to insure the consumer is not only safe, but satisfied. Very disappointed, now I am out $300 bucks ( low end price). Safelite really rapes you on their prices. Do not get your windows fixed there. Most people have a $500 deductible so you can't even claim it on insurance. Worst part about this story is it's snowing outside. Going to have a long cold ride home till I get this fix tomorrow. 😰😡👎

- , Crest Hill, IL, USA

Nov 112013

Escape XLT V6

so far has been a good runner. What else the window was there one minute then gone the next.

- , Cambridge, ONT, canada

Oct 172012

Escape

So I was on my way to work this morning and i thought i heard a gun shot when I realized that my rear window had shattered out. It was not just cracked or shattered, it was completely gone!!!! I have no idea how or why. Anyone else with this problem??? Really pissed to say the least...

- , Horseheads, NY, USA

Mar 092013

Escape ES

click to see larger images

back window exploded

We went to a wedding yesterday and everything was just fine came home got here like 8:30 pm it was still in there !Husband got up at 7am and the window was in i got around at 10 am and it was shattered all over the gravel about it looked like a bomb went off in my car!I feel that ford should have to replace the windows for us not us especially if it has been an on going problem!

- , Galt, MO, USA

Jan 182013

Escape LX 3.0L V6

I drove my escape to an appointment and left the vehicle parked for about a half hour when I returned I noticed that the the back windscreen was all over the parking lot it shot out about 6 ft. I'm more concerned that in the future no one will get hurt from this impact as this windscreen literally exploded all over the parking lot. There was one thing I noticed about these ford escapes if you are driving and you open the back window it Hums so loud that you have to open the front window or it could blow your ear drum out I truly believe there is a problem with cabin pressure.

I contacted ford about my problem but received very little help with this matter I was told they would record the information I gave them and that in the future if there would be a recall they would contact me!!! You Think!!!

Not sure what to do at this point but I guess I have to absorb the cost of the repair the estimate for glass and install over $600.00 well if anyone knows some way to deal with ford and this issue please post something.

Thanks

Ford.......Found On Road Dead. Friggin Old Rotten Dodge. Lol

- , Pickering, Ontario, canada

Jan 222013

Escape Limited V6

The car was parked , then the window simply shattered. At first we thought someone shot at it, but not a sole was in sight. Bizarre-- until we checked on the internet and found a list of others complaining about the same thing.

Shame on you Ford--

- , Montreal, Quebec, canada

Dec 132012

Escape Limited V6

Driving to work early in the morning. Stopped at a stop sign. ( Thankfully ) Heard a LOUD noise and felt something hitting me. To my surprise, I looked around and there was no one else around. My rear window EXPLODED!!! Glass EVERYWHERE. My husband is looking into getting it fixed at the moment and he is ENRAGED!!!!!

I loved my Escape but have decided that since there is nothing Ford will do to ensure the safety of its drivers, then I am NOT going to be one of them!

Shame on Ford for not "doing the right thing" and re-calling these rear windows. I am SHOCKED that there are SO many complaints and SURPRISED that there hasn't been more serious injuries.

Roseneath, Ontario

- , Roseneath, Ontario, canada

Nov 012012

Escape XLT V6

I was driving to work, early in the morning and still dark, when I heard a loud explosion. I continued to drive, looking in the rear view mirror trying to see what happened. I pulled into the parking garage and parked my car only to confirm that the entire window had broken into little pieces all over inside of my car!

I called Ford and they wont cover any of the expense because its past the warranty. I have a $500 deductible for insurance so I'm going to be eating this PAIN in the GLASS !!!

I found this web site and had to share...

- , Norristown, PA, USA

Jul 032012

Escape LX

Window exploded out of nowhere. The car was parked. 2am the window just exploded.

- , WEST MILFORD, New Jersey, USA

Nov 122008

Escape LTD V6

Unlike other posts here, window exploded while parked, rear defrost wasn't on, and vehicle wasn't moving. We were so sure it was vandalism, police were called. Police officer stated he'd had this same call on at least one other Escape.

- , Brantford, Ontario, Canada

Jun 012012

Escape

Thought someone shot a gun or threw a rock. I was stopped at an intersection and as I went through, the back window exploded into the car. Pieces of glass everywhere. Agreed....VERY dangerous. I was all over the road trying to look back and figure out what it was and if someone was following me. Again....agreed...pick it up Ford. Still looking to see what exactly it was but after reading all of these posts...I have a pretty good idea.....another victim to a Ford window....BOOO!!!!

- , Cortland, OH, USA

Jan 092012

Escape

Started up my 2005 Ford Escape to warm it up. I turned on the defrost and heat for approx. 3 minutes. Left my home and approx. less then a half a mile away the began to stop at a stop sign and the rear window just exploded. It propelled glass throughout the the vehicle and on the exterior.

- , Louisville, OH, USA

Sep 202011

Escape LX 3.2L V6

Driving to work one morning. A little damp out and had the rear defrost on for a few minutes. 15 minutes into my commute I heard an explosion and looked in my rear view mirror to watch, in horror, my back window exploding - mostly into the car. It was around 50 degrees out - September in the NE. Never found out what caused it but reading your posts seems like this is a problem with 2005 Ford Escape's. $250 deductible and I am still waiting for the dealer to get parts - riding around with plastic on my window - will be another 10 days before they can even get me in. Some of the parts need to be replaced also. What a scary thing. Ford needs to do a recall before someone gets hurt or killed.

- , Jersey Shore, PA, USA

Nov 012010

Escape

Driving long distance....it started to snow....I turned on the rear defrost and the back window exploded while I was driving. I had my pets in the back. Shattered glass everywhere. Everyone in the vehicle was terrified. We thought someone shot at us or threw a rock. Panic not sure what to do in small northern highway ....stopped at a grocery store where I managed to get some boxes to temporarily block out the cold. Had to drive for another 4 hrs like this with a sick person in the car and shaken pets. Luckily they were not killed. Luckily the unexpectedness of this didn't cause an accident. Had to travel back to Toronto before getting it fixed because the glass was some special tint that they didn't have up north. So another 6hr trip in the winter without a rear window. Is that not a safety issue Ford? Why is this not a recall when so many have this happen . If you have had this happen be warned this is the first in a number of electrical issues you will have which will end in complete computer failure. Look into it .....I'm having this problem right now....after months and months of taking the car in to different mechanics who can't figure out what's wrong....it all started with the computer....the windshield. Never will buy a ford again after this experience.

- , Toronto, Ontario, canada

Dec 182010

Escape XLT V6

Returned to my Escape after work to find rear window completely gone. It was parked in an underground garage. Assumed a break-in at first but most of the glass was outside the vehicle, spread over three parking spots, and nothing the in the vehicle had been touched. Replacing the window also required a new wiper motor. Called Ford Canada but have only received a survey asking me about my experience with their call center.

- , Toronto, ONT, canada

Jan 012011

Escape XLT

Well, first of all I agree with another customers' complaints...SHAME ON YOU FORD for not addressing the problem of exploding back windows on your Ford Escape's. There I was on the evening of New Years Day traveling down the highway at 80 km's/hr when suddenly my rear window exploded into my vehicle. I thought someone had shot at my car. Due to weather conditions (black ice) I was trying to get myself & my passengers home safely. Luckily after my window exploded I managed to keep my vehicle on the road. This is a very serious safety issue & should be addressed immediately by Ford before it causes a fatality. To be truthful...I once owned a Ford Lincoln & I swore that I would never purchase another Ford in my lifetime. Why?? Because that vehicle let me down so many times. Since that vehicle I have only owned Honda's & Volkswagons & have experienced NO major problems. And certainly NO safety issues. But, a few years ago my husband & I gave Ford the benefit of the doubt & purchased a 2005 Ford Escape as a second vehicle. We've done a couple of minor repairs to the vehicle which is acceptable. If Ford continues to disregard this safety issue I have will have no choice but to put Ford back on my "DO NOT BUY" list. I am in the process of emailing every single person I know that owns a Ford Escape to warn them about a possible exploding back window in their vehicle. FORD....pick up your socks!!!

- , Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Dec 122010

Escape V6

Total surprise, searching for same problem on web shows it's much too common, Also found some instances of side windows exploding. Time to go after Ford to fix it.

- , Blind River, Ontario, Canada

Dec 202010

Escape XLT V6

We were driving down the interstate, it was snowing, and I had just turned the rear defroster on about 5 minutes prior to this incident. Traffic was moving slowly, when all of sudden we heard what we thought was a gunshot. I turned around to see my rear window in pieces on the inside of the car and all the parts that were not glass, just hanging in mid-air. Scared the crap out of my husband and I. He wanted to pull to the side of the road, and I told him to just keep driving (in case it was a gunshot). We got off at the next exit and checked for bullet casings, and found nothing. I told him I was going on-line when we got home to see if there was a recall for this. Nothing on the Ford web site as far as a recall, but then I found this website. I cannot believe that with all these complaints, Ford is doing nothing. And now I'm reading that could happen to the other windows in the car as well? What can we do to get Ford off it's ass to admit there is a problem?

- , Frankfort, IL, USA

Dec 272010

Escape

Well, it scared the heck out of me..... Just shoveling snow and the window exploded. Of course husband walks over and says "What did you do"???? Apparently this is a common problem! I'm SO GLAD that my children were not standing close by and not hit by flying glass. This Escape is one problem after another!!!! I will never buy another Ford, sticking to my Toyotas!

- , Sewell, NJ, USA

Dec 272010

Escape

It's incredible to see how many others this has happened to! I was driving my daughter and her friends home from the movies this evening. It was about 5 degrees Celsius out, it had been snowing earlier and it was raining. I was using the rear defogger as well as the rear wiper. Whammo! It sounded like a shotgun went off inside the truck! The rear window exploded and we were all scared out of our wits! I didn't pull over right away because I wasn't sure what had happened or whether there was still a danger. I pulled over a few minutes later to inspect the damage. Large pieces of the window were inside the truck and there was glass on the rear bumper as well. One of the hydraulic lifts was hanging outside, detached from where the glass had been. The other one was still attached to a chunk of glass attached near the frame. My guess is that the hydraulic lift caused the explosion. Will call the insurance company tomorrow and make arrangements for replacement. I think we'll replace the lifts too, just in case.

- , Londonderry, Nova Scotia, canada