Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: With solid trends of engine failure — $4,500 to fix at 85,000 miles avg — AND transmission failure — $3,000 to fix at 75,000 miles avg — we can't recommend the 2006 Ford Escape to anyone except your worst enemy.

2006 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape:

2006 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 092016

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts, but would stall after it was placed into gear. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the coils failed and were not getting signals from the power train control module. The PCM coil and plugs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,127.

- Stuart, FL, USA

May 202016

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle lost acceleration without warning. The contact coasted the vehicle to a parking lot. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed the vehicle with a transmission valve failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Broadview, IL, USA

Apr 112016

While driving my vehicle it went into overdrive without me accelerating. This often occurred whether my foot was lightly pressed on the (foot) pedal or off the pedal. The vehicle lost its ability to forward drive, whereby I had to allow the car to glide of to the should of the road. When the vehicle was finally off the road I would experience difficulty shifting the gears - sticking as I tried to put it in gear. It is a manual drive 2006 Ford Escape. This [stalling] occurred after several trips to the mechanics before my vehicle was rendered completely immobile I.e. unable to reverse or forward drive. The mechanics, at the Ford dealership, diagnosed my vehicle with transmission problems, that would require a total transmission rebuild/replacement. I have not received a recall notice, but I know that my vehicle is among the model 2001 - 2009 Ford Escapes that have experienced transmission troubles/recalls in last 6 months. Since ~January 2016, the vehicle was towed by the dealers and remains there, to date, with no mention of recalls on this make/model/year vehicle. I contacted Ford Corp. Customer services toll-free # (1) to inform them of the problem, (2) to determine the recall selection process and (3) to determine if recall notices were sent to both [my] dealer &/or manufacturer, but with not avail. Both, representatives skirted around my queries, later told me to hold on the line until they could conduct a internal inquiry but, instead, redirected the call to the telephone customer care survey -- prior to my call ending.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 262016

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated without warning and stalled. The contact experienced the same failures listed in NHTSA campaign number: 15V606000 (power train), but the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Dec 092015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Without warning transmission completely fails. No indication of problems, just dropped the transmission on the way to work. Thank goodness there was no traffic behind us or we were in an intersection. Just completely stopped pulling while traveling down the road at 45 mph. Transmission rebuilt. Since then and still currently the charging light stays on constantly. Has been in the automotive repair shop for a month and no one can find a problem or match the codes with an apparent problem. On it's way to a second shop for another opinion. Idles high both in park and in gear, constant vibration inside the vehicle (steering wheel, dash, console etc.). dash/speedometer makes humming noise in the afternoons. Alarm has randomly gone off twice and interior lights would not go out on their own - had to turn off manually. "right rear door ajar" or "lift gate ajar" messages were displayed, but the doors were fine. Message did not reset when re-closing the doors, just reset eventually on its own. Gas mileage has dropped to 15 mpg. Radio volume will not come down. Get louder if you touch it. This problem has been going on awhile, but now with everything else possibly electrically going on, don't know if it's related. We've already spent around $2000 on it and I still don't feel safe to drive it, especially after reviewing all the complaints this model Escape has had. Without diagnosis of a problem, I fear it may escalate to other computer issues and cause far worse driving/safety problems. Undetermined electrical/interior going crazy seems to be a common complaint even when what appears to be the problem is addressed. I am disappointed to be having such problems with this Ford. My husband actually recently purchased a used Acura instead of a Ford because of it. I have no transportation of my own until these safety/reliability issues are resolved....updated 04/12/16 the consumer took the vehicle to another repair shop. She was informed the alternator needed to be replaced at a cost of $500 updated 04/13/16.

- Burlington, NC, USA

Dec 072015

Driving down the freeway and my vehicle shuts off without warning. There is a loud knocking and shuttering noise like my whole engine is going to drop onto the freeway. I get to the shoulder and put it in park. As I try to start the vehicle again the engine/motor starts shaking yet again with a loud knocking noise and wont turn over. I had to get my car towed. My children were extremely scared and being on the freeway this issue is very dangerous and has been complained about multiple times.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Oct 032015

I bought the vehicle on September 4,2015 all these problem started 1 month after. Manuel transmission gets to rough at times when being shifted into 1st gear and reverse gets stuck and hard to shift, might be part of the recall no# 15S28 the engine oil seems to use 1qt a week, recently had a changed oil but continues to use the same every week, mileage is at 132467. The air bag for passenger light continues to light up and goes off when driven. A banging noise when driven on the road at rear shock absorbers are located, the shocks are still new.

- Crownpoint, NM, USA

Jan 212015

The service engine light came on plus the wrench light. The vehicle told me to pull over safely. It would not go over 20 miles per hour. I had it towed to the Ford dealership and was told it was the throttle body. I did research online where other Escapes were having the same issue. The North Carolina consumers council stated this online- "we have been informed that Ford has issued an extended warranty for defective throttle body assemblies and sensors for 10 years or 150,000 miles from the data of original purchase. For vehicles past this time limit, the warranty is reported to be valid until January 31, 2015." Since I am over the mileage I am having to pay for the part.

- Lake Park, GA, USA

Dec 042014

Escape 6-cyl

My wife was on her way to work when the vehicle started to slow and stutter. When she got to work she wasn't able to shift from drive to reverse without the vehicle cutting off. While on the interstate the vehicle almost shut down but according to her slowed way down. After work she had to cruise through all the stop signs and stop lights for fear the vehicle would stop. She made it home and that was it. I couldn't get the vehicle to go from no gear to and gear without shutting itself off. We did some research and thought it might be a shift sensor. We ended up calling the Ford house (arrow Ford, abilene, tx.). they towed the vehicle and I got a call later saying it was a bad torque converter. It was going to be $2,400 for the repair. I researched the internet and found that there is no recall and this is a common problem, (a design flaw if you will). We take care of the vehicles and don't abuse our vehicles.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Nov 032014

Escape 6-cyl

We purchased a 2006 Ford Escape for our daughter that is in college. The vehicle only had around 92,000 miles on it when we purchased. Upon braking, the vehicle will shudder and cut off. She is able to put it in park, restart the vehicle and continue on. There is no rhyme or reason behind when this occurs. She lives in an extremely busy area and this is very dangerous for her. My husband and I have driven the vehicle and have had the same thing happen. Our mechanic is telling us that he is almost positive it is the torque converter. (of course, we have left it with him for over a week and he has driven it everywhere and it will not mess up) after hearing this, I have done some research on it. Why is Ford not doing a recall on this" this seems so be a very common issue. Is it going to take someone getting injured or worse before they take any action"

- Taylorsville, GA, USA

Nov 072014

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. In addition, the overdrive warning light and the emissions warning light illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The independent mechanic diagnosed that the O2 sensor needed to be repaired and the transmission fluid needed to be changed. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Louisville , KY, USA

Oct 082014

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle slipped in to the neutral position but was still in drive and trans doesn't engage correctly.

- St. Clair Shores , MI, USA

Apr 052012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving on a residential street, doing 25 mph, when it felt like the transmission failed. I had it towed to aamco in renton Washington where the transmission was replaced at a cost of $4270.50. It was the original transmission. On 2-10-2014. The transmission failed again and had to be replaced at the cost of $468.11. I have owned many cars over the years and most had well over 100K miles on them and I have never had a transmission fail, much less two transmissions fail. This seems very unusual to me.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Sep 202014

Driving in routine traffic when the car appeared to shift to overdrive then lost all forward drive. After about two minutes, the transmission tried to engage, and then lost all drive again all recommended service had been completed and the vehicle gave no early indication of failure. We contacted Ford who said they had no recalls and the vehicle was out of warranty. Comments by the driver of the towing service suggested other Escapes in the area have had similar problems. Further research suggests this make and model has become infamous for transmission failure at approximately the same mileage.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 242014

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving 30 mph, the transmission seized and the overdrive warning indicator illuminated. The contact turned off and restarted the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000.

- Champlain, NY, USA

Jul 142014

Pushed on accelerator and RPM came up but speed didn't...was told there was a recall on the Ford Escape transmissions..

- Klamath Falls, OR, USA

Jul 042014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving 5 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact stated there were no warning indicators illuminated when the failure occurred. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. However, after test driving the vehicle the technician stated that the torque converter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 122,500. Updated 11/24/14 updated 5/7/2015

- Warren, MI, USA

Mar 102014

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph in overdrive, the transmission slipped. The contact was able to remove the transmission from overdrive and proceed in drive normally. The failure recurred when the vehicle wa engaged in drive or overdrive. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who advised that the transmission would require extensive repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100000.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Jan 242011

Escape 4-cyl

Complaint of not being able to start the car in very cold weather/ gas pedal sticks intermittently although frequency of condition increases as temperatures decrease < 25F. Ford dealer diagnoses issue as a failed air bypass valve (part number: 3S6Z-9F715-aa), replaced valve. Condition not cleared. Engine pedal sticks, engine RPM increases without driver input. Manual transmission only reason that driver was able to maintain control (jockeying clutch pedal to limit engine RPM). Throttle body was removed, cleaned and reinstalled. Condition not cleared. Suspect failed throttle body.

- Cranberry Twp, PA, USA

Dec 102012

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. The contact attempted to shift gears however, the gear shifter failed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or independent mechanic for inspection or diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 60000.

- Cheyenne, WY, USA