Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: With solid trends of engine failure — $4,500 to fix at 85,000 miles avg — AND transmission failure — $3,000 to fix at 75,000 miles avg — we can't recommend the 2006 Ford Escape to anyone except your worst enemy.

2006 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape:

2006 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jul 122016

Car has been stalling periodically for the past month on city streets (mostly) and highway (without any warning signs). Each time would bring to mechanic but no codes would show up. Happened again yesterday, this time the engine light came on, code that showed up was P2112. Bringing to Ford dealer tomorrow to fix throttle body.

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

May 142016

My 2006 Ford Escape constantly and unexpectedly has a stuck gas pedal in the closed position. The cable and throttle body have been replaced several times at my expense and Ford refuses to acknowledge the problem. My wife, daughter and I were nearly killed at a large intersection while trying to turn left. The car was stopped at a light with oncoming traffic approaching us in the opposite lanes. When a large gap appeared in the oncoming traffic, I tried to proceed and the gas pedal stuck as I turned. It would not depress and this left me without power and the rapidly approaching oncoming cars had to swerve so as to avoid "T-boning" our car. The other drivers stated that they did not anticipate our car suddenly failing to proceed as they approached us. They then assisted us in removing (pushing) the car from the roadway. I have complained to the local Ford dealership numerous times but they refuse to provide me with a permanent repair. The pedal sticks very often and very unexpectedly. It doesn't stick open. It sticks in the fully closed position and will not depress no matter how much force is applied to the pedal. When it unsticks it happens as unexpectedly as it began. The pedal sticks only when the pedal is in the non-depressed position. It may happen when first trying to drive the car or after many hours of driving. It may happen (as in the previous example) after having stopped at a traffic stop. I have replaced the throttle body and cable several times, as suggested by every dealership in my area (of Michigan). Nothing has resolved the problem and I have gotten zero cooperation from Ford Corp.

- Flint, MI, USA

Apr 302016

My friend borrowed my 06 Ford Escape, which had not shown any mechanical issues. Shortly after getting on the interstate hwy, the gas pedal stuck to the floor and rapidly excellerated to 85 mph plus, without warning. It is a 6 lane hwy and was Saturday. Putting the vehicle in neutral and using both the brake and the E brake, while trying to maneuver traffic to get to the shoulder, as a tractor trailer rig was barreling by unaware. This was an extremely dangerous situation. It is miraculous that no one was hurt. The brakes smoked and the fire department was called as a precaution. It had to be towed. Upon researching further, we discovered all the complaints about the throttle body problems. I am disappointed that there have been no warnings about this issue. Will someone have to die, before any actions are taken? it seems as though prevention would go further, rather than reacting to only the extremes of death and dismemberment. I am suggesting that Ford take a proactive position here and notify Ford Escape owners. Fix the issue!!!

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Mar 122015

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. While driving at any speed, the brake pedal failed and caused the vehicle to accelerate unintentionally. The ABS and brake lights illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to both the dealer and an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that there was no issue with the vehicle, yet the failure progressed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,800.

- Huntington, CA, USA

Mar 202015

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while parking at 5 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into a wall. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained bruises to the chest that did not require medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was then taken to a dealer who stated that the failure might be related to the throttle body. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000. The VIN was not available.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 062012

When going down a hill with cruise control on and the car drifts above the set speed the cruise suddenly gives the car a sudden burst of speed. It has done this many times.

- Belington, WV, USA

Nov 212012

The gas pedal sticks and could not be pushed down unless you slammed on it. This occurred several times, and eventually stuck completely. The Ford dealership in lynchburg, va, replaced the throttle body. Now, two years later, the same problem has occurred.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Nov 172014

Escape 4-cyl

My 2006 Ford Escape gas pedal is sticking down when temperature outside is very cold. I could not accelerate. Very dangerous.

- Painesville, OH, USA

Nov 142014

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

Vehicle's gas pedal constantly locks when driving no matter the climate.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 312014

Escape 4-cyl

When it gets below 40 degrees or so my gas pedal will stick in a closed position. You have to press very hard on the pedal for it to allow the car to move however there is a large thrust forward/backward due to opening the throttle so quickly. I have nearly hit 2 cars and almost been hit several times because the car will not go. I have spoke. With Ford and they state that there is no recalls regarding the issue and that there isn't anything they can do to assist. I do know that there was a recall for the same issue on the 2001-2004 and 2007 model of the Escape for the same issue. I have spoken with a few others who experience the same issue and there are several complaints regarding the same problem. This is a very dangerous hazard and could cost someone a life if the problem isn't corrected. It obviously has to be an issue with the model itself. It has never happened to me since I purchased the car this past spring from my mother, who also said she experienced the same problem.

- Campbellsville, KY, USA

Oct 142009

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving approximately 45-50 mph & could no longer accelerate. Gas pedal was stuck. I realized I was able to release it by stepping on brakes or hitting the gas pedal really hard. This was under warranty in Oct 2009 & the throttle body was replaced (supposedly) then again in Nov 2011 I had to have it replaced but it was not under warranty & had to pay for it. It was icy out & it's pretty dangerous to slam on your brakes to release the gas pedal. Luckily there were no cars behind me. I wrote a letter to Ford but they would not refund me nor was there a recall. I just had the same problem July 2014 & the dealer (supposedly) cleaned the throttle body but charged me & I called Ford but again they said there's no recall. I also spent 7K in Feb 2013 for a new engine.....beginning to wonder if that was a wise decision.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Aug 072013

Escape 4-cyl

Started to work one morning, have a manual trans after driving about 13 miles went to shift into 4th the accelerator would not move. After several attempts it finally broke free and I continued to work w/O incident. Since then it happens on a weekly basis different times of the day and diff temps no rhyme or reason. Researched and found many other with the same problem. This morning was different. I was only 4 miles from home and the accelerator was stuck again. I was only in 2nd gear, I pushed on the accelerator hard it broke loose but this time it got stuck while almost to the floor and the car took off spinning tires. There was not much I could do but put the clutch in shift to neutral. When I finally stopped the accelerator was stuck again so that I could not accelerate and now my clutch was gone. It is now not drivable. So very very dangerous. Does there need to be a fatality for something to be done?

- Walton, WV, USA

Mar 162014

Upon putting car into gear, the gas pedal would not cause the car to accelerate. Car had no propulsion. Important to note that the gas pedal had seemed to stick before this incident. Ford Motor Co. Refuses to cover the cost of fixing this problem, even though they have known about this issue for some time. This car was bought for my 17 yr old daughter. She did not happen to be driving at the time of the incident thankfully because she would not have known what to do in this circumstance.

- Marion, NC, USA

Feb 012014

First it stalled out while idling, then stalled out at stop light, then upon acceleration it stalled again. While driving it hesitated again, when I accelerated it started to go again, at stop light it stalled out. It always seems to start. I called the dealer where I purchased it and no active recalls for my vehicle, called another Ford dealer and same answer. I mentioned consumer program 13N03 but told it was vehicle specific.

- Brooklyn, OH, USA

Oct 012013

Escape 4-cyl

After starting the vehicle it has to be warmer up for about 30 minutes or more, in order for the gas pedal to press down so the vehicle will move. The gas pedal will not move at all. It has to be warmed up in the summer months and well as the winter months in order for the vehicle to move. The gas pedal is so hard to press that it like trying to press your foot through a brick wall. It does this even when at a stand still when trying to accelerator for any speed. It just will not move. This is dangerous for me and my family. Please help !!!

- West Memphis, AR, USA

Jan 282014

Escape 4-cyl

While driving, I went to accelerate, but the gas pedal was stuck in the idle position - like it froze up. I stepped on the gas pedal a few times until it loosened up. This has happened multiple times in the past few years about once every 2 months and typically on colder days less than 32 degrees F. after a throttle body cleanout by a licensed mechanic, it got worse. I looked on line for reviews on 2006 Ford Escapes, and saw that many, many other Ford Escape owners have had the same problem. There are currently no recalls on the throttle body, but this is the common problem.

- Delaware, OH, USA

Jan 242011

Escape 4-cyl

Complaint of not being able to start the car in very cold weather/ gas pedal sticks intermittently although frequency of condition increases as temperatures decrease < 25F. Ford dealer diagnoses issue as a failed air bypass valve (part number: 3S6Z-9F715-aa), replaced valve. Condition not cleared. Engine pedal sticks, engine RPM increases without driver input. Manual transmission only reason that driver was able to maintain control (jockeying clutch pedal to limit engine RPM). Throttle body was removed, cleaned and reinstalled. Condition not cleared. Suspect failed throttle body.

- Cranberry Twp, PA, USA

May 012013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving the car the gas pedal sticks and it prevents me from accelerating first time it happened it stuck for atleast 3minutes the more I drive the worst it gets. Now it when the gas pedal sticks I have to pull over to the side in the middle of me driving and wait sometimes 5. minutes at a time until the gas pedal unsticks so I can continue driving.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 182013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving, my throttle or gas pedal sticks. It will not depress. I have to turn the car off and back on again. Sometimes I have to let the car sit a few minutes before it will unstick. This is very dangerous trying to merge into traffic!!! this has happened several times, and usually when the weather is cold or the engine is cold. That is the only pattern I have been able to figure out.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Nov 212013

Gas pedal sticks whenever temperature falls below freezing. Had issues since car was new in 2006, but this week issue is much worse. Normally you can push hard on the gas pedal and get it to work. This week I have to wait for the car to warm up before I can drive, the gas pedal will not budge. I've read other complaints that this is a faulty throttle body and would like to know what Ford plans to do about it.

- Sturtevant, WI, USA