Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Ford Escape looks pretty good compared to other Ford Escape model years, but still has a trend of transmission problems, so it's not a model year we can recommend.

Also the base model Escape did not come with side airbags so it received a "Poor" rating from the IIHS for side impact protection. Other similar 2007 models like the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V & Hyundai Santa Fe scored far better.

2007 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Escape:

2007 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 062016

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the overdrive warning light illuminated independently and the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the vehicle was diagnosed that the transmission had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 132015

The gas pedal would stick intermittently, and more pressure needed to be applied to the pedal in order to get the car to accelerate. At one point the gas pedal completely stuck, and I was not able to accelerate the car at all on the highway, forcing me to pull the car over to the side of the road and turn it off to be towed. A mechanic was able to confirm this issue is caused by a malfunction in the throttle body. Ford previously recalled throttle body's in Escapes from 2009-2012, but my car is 2007 and does not apply. However, because it is experiencing the same malfunction, and has serious safety implication, I believe the 2007 Ford Escape model should be added to Ford current consumer satisfaction program 13N03.

- Lake Oswego, OR, USA

Oct 212015

2007 Ford Escape throttle sticks intermittently. Driving and suddenly the petal will stick and not respond. Push down on gas petal and will not move or respond. Flutter the petal and in will return to operational form.petal sticks and not allow you to give engine and gas. The problem occurs when I take my foot off the gas petal then try to reapply the gas to accelerate. Vehicle has been doing this since I bought it but has become more frequent as the vehicle ages. I have told dealer reps.about this ongoing issue and each time I'm told it has no recalls and I will need to pay for all repairs myself.

- Middle River, MD, USA

Apr 122014

I cannot depress the accelerator. It occurs after around 1 mile of driving during the first trip of the day. It has occurred intermittently for the past year. I have taken it to Ford but they could not identify the problem and required that I leave the car overnight which I could not do. Today was the first day that I had to pull over to the side of the road because I could not accelerate.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 282014

Escape 4-cyl

My daughter was almost killed when we tried to pull into traffic and the throttle stuck. She is learning to drive and did not know how to handle the car not starting when she pressed the gas and then it suddenly lurched into traffic. It is a problem with the throttle body identical to the recall for the 2001-2004 Escapes. I called the Ford dealership and it is 500+ to fix. This car only has 85K on it and I find this a huge safety issue. Since I cant afford to fix it now it will sit in my drive way. Thanks Ford.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Jan 082013

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal become stuck when attempting to accelerate from a complete stop. The failure would occur more frequently during cold weather temperatures. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be cleaned due to carbon build up. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000. The current mileage was 149,000.

- Woodbury , TN, USA

Dec 092013

Escape 4-cyl

Throttle body will not drive rev or go. Gas pedal does not move. Cold weather and it does this more.

- Farwell, MI, USA

Aug 262013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling on a highway, the speed control mechanism ceased to function.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Apr 012009

Escape 4-cyl

There has been multiple instances where the gas peddle cannot be depressed. No matter the amount of pressure applied. It has occurred both at a standstill and while in motion. I have read its a possible throttle body problem not sure. First occurrence was during cold weather however it has occurred during warm temps ie 85degree outside temperature. It happens and then there is no problems for a long time maybe months, however if it were to occur during a merge this could be very dangerous and possibly deadly. Please look into this as there is already multiple recalls on Ford acceleration systems in this model from prior years.

- Mobile, AL, USA

May 132013

Escape 6-cyl

I had the cruise control set and was driving at between 55 and 60 on the meter. I was in an area where the road dips and rises. Coming up a rise it accelerated but then continued beyond the set speed. Applying the brakes did result in regaining control of the speed. This was not the first occurrence, and it seems to me that this happens after having gone up a hill. I checked to see if there were recalls issued for my car and it appears that there is not one for the 2007 model, but research has revealed several similar complaints.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Mar 252013

Escape 6-cyl

After only 2 months of purchase O/D light went on and transmission shot!!! absolutely heart wrenching as I have no way to work now...

- Reno, NV, USA

Feb 162013

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal became stuck in open throttle. The contact had to abruptly apply the brakes in order to get the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that they could not determine the cause of the acceleration failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but did not provide any assistance. The failure mileage was 71,000.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Oct 292010

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the transmission failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The transmission was replaced due to internal damage. In 2010, the transmission was rebuilt by an authorized dealer. In addition, the accelerator pedal seized on numerous occasions and after repeated attempts, the pedal released. The contact performed the repair which consisted of cleaning the throttle body. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000.

- Elyria, OH, USA

May 122012

Over the past several months, my gas pedal has been sticking when trying to accelerate. It began in May 2012 and has been getting progressively worse. I thought it might have something to do with cold weather, but it has occurred at various times of the day as well as temperatures at throughout spring, summer and fall. I am forced to push hard on the accelerator when it sticks, which causes my vehicle to lunge forward. It usually sticks when I have completely stopped, but has often gotten stuck when accelerating after coming out of a curve I have slowed down to go through. It is a dangerous problem that seems to have occurred with several Ford Escapes in the past.

- Rochester, WA, USA

Sep 172010

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the accelerate pedal would become stuck when attempting to accelerate from a complete stop. The failure would mostly occur during cold weather temperatures. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that there were no recalls for the failure. The manufacturer was notified who confirmed that there were no recalls for the failure and referred the contact to NHTSA. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 116,309. Updated 9/28/12 updated 10/04/12

- Kathleen, GA, USA

Jul 012009

Gas pedal will stick every time I try to accelerate. I have to tap gas pedal twice with foot to accelerate car at any speed.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Apr 112012

Escape 4-cyl

In cold weather for the first 2 or 3 stops the gas pedal would not mash down. It stuck up. It would be ok after that. Never a problem in summer. Ford checked it and could not find a problem. I contacted Ford and they did not have an answer to the problem. I felt like I was not the only one with this problem. Finally in April of this year it stuck and I had to have the throttle replaced, a $383.79 cost to me. I contacted Ford and told them I thought they should pay for the repair since it was a safety issue. They evidentially thought not because they would not take care of it. When you stop and start off and the pedal sticks and you are in the middle of an intersection and your car won't move, that is a safety issue. My son was driving in Texas and stopped behind another car at a red light and started to ease up when the pedal stuck. He patted it a time or two and it jerked forward and almost hit the car in front of us. This happened the whole time I had the car until April of this year and after 2 or 3 stops, when it warmed up, it was ok.

- Bainbridge , GA, USA

Nov 122010

Escape 4-cyl

While backing up out of garage, the gas pedal stuck. When colder out, I have to forcefully accelerator from an idle or parked position. I have nearly rearended people numerous times at stop signs, etc., as the car lunges once the accelerator actually does go. It's going to cause an accident, having to jam on the pedal that hard to get it to go.

- Hartford, WI, USA

Nov 082010

The gas pedal continuously sticks or locks in position after I have stopped either to make a left turn or right turn. This is very dangerous, especially when I am making a left turn and there is usually on coming traffic. I am very nervous to make left turns for this reason. Someone will get killed or seriously injured due to this issue.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jan 152007

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate on multiple occasions. The contact stated that on one instance when the pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate but after the release of the pedal the vehicle resumed normal operation. On another occasion, the accelerator pedal became stuck and the vehicle maintained a speed of 20 mph. The failure was resolved temporarily after the engine was restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage was 120,872.

- San Antonio, TX, USA