2008 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Sep 192014

Driver's side window dropped suddenly and would not come back up. A few months later the same thing occurred to a back window, then next the front passenger window. This has also occurred to two other Ford vehicles - my brother's truck, and a friends truck. These are expensive repairs, very inconvenient, especially if raining --- and can be a safety hazard when living in a large city with high crime.

- Bellaire, TX, USA

Sep 042014

Escape 6-cyl

The 2008 Ford Escape has severe rust problems with both of the rear quarter panels. Rust damage is coming from the inside out. Talk to Ford customer care and filed a complaint with Ford motor. The dealership inspected the vehicle and took photographs of the rust through damage and forwarded them to Ford motor. Dealer said he see a lot of rust complaints on this particular model. Dealer recommends a complete replacement of the rear quarter panels. Ford motor denied any responsibility for the rust problem, and is not even willing to meet part way with the damages.

- Warren, MI, USA

Oct 222014

The liftgate window latch on my 2008 Ford Escape XLT has separated from the rear window glass. The glue joint has failed and allowed the latch to break away from the window. Now the window cannot be closed tightly and locked. This is a safety issue because the exhaust gases may be drawn into the cabin through the gap between the window and the window seal on the liftgate. It is also a security issue, since someone could easily pry the window open and enter the vehicle cabin. Originally, the latch was apparently glued to the glass and also is attached loosely with a single bolt to the rear window wiper assembly. Right now, the separated latch is flopping around in such a way that the window can be pulled open by about 1/2 to 1 inch. This is clearly a defect in the design of this latch on this vehicle. The latch is absolutely crucial to the security and safety of the occupants of the vehicle. I believe that the NHTSA should force Ford to recall their vehicles with this same insecure defective latch design and replace it with a secure design that will remain attached to the window glass.

- Mars, PA, USA

Jun 142014

Right & left rear wheel well is rusting.

- Burlington, KY, USA

Feb 022013

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle was severely rusted near the rear wheel well area. There were also rust bubbles that had formed in addition to signs of corrosion. There was also rust on the bottom half of the interior and exterior door frame. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who inspected the vehicle but did not diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was awaiting further inspection of the extensive rust and corrosion. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000. Updated 8/6/14

- Adolphus, KY, USA

Jul 192013

Escape 6-cyl

I have a 2008 used Ford Escape that was purchased December 2012. It now has 37,000 miles on it. In June of 2013 I noticed above the rear wheel well there is rust bubbles popping up under the paint. Once I noticed it in June 2012, I took it to packey webb Ford in downers grove, il as soon as I noticed the rusting under the paint. I was told that it was going to be $1900 to fix and that it was not part of the warranty. Since the car was less than 5 years and at about 30,000 miles I should contact Ford to make sure that the rusting was not covered under warranty. Ford told said the wear and tear was part of the car and that it was out of warranty. Now if I want to get this fixed, it will cost me $2000.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Mar 052014

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that he noticed corrosion near the rear wheel rims. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the inner and outer frame was corroding and causing it to separate from the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 82,000 and the current mileage was 82,400.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Nov 202013

My Ford Escape is rusting out around the rear wheel well on the passengers side as well as at the welded seams on the inside of the doors. I am very disappointed as this vehicle was not cheap and I even paid extra or the rust proofing and undercoat before the vehicle ever even left the dealer parking lot. I don't think a good quality, well made vehicle would be rusting out in such a short time. I have always been a Ford customer and take very good care of my vehicle and I am very disappointed in this quality.

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Mar 102013

Escape 6-cyl

I was pulling into a parking space at a speed of < than 5mph and suddenly the vehicle sped up out of control to a speed of 40-50mph tried to mash brakes to the floor, but vehicle continued jumped a fence and hit a huge tree off in a ravine. Two men were watching as the car sped up and ran to pull me from the wreckage after the crash, I was pinned in on the driver side, I suffered multiple injuries.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 012013

Escape 6-cyl

I purchased a used 2008 Ford Escape in summer of 2010. May of 2013 paint began to chip around the rear wheel wells exposing rust that had been there for what had to have been a lot longer than just the previous winter. I contacted Ford directly to get this response (shortened for space): After reviewing my resources, there are no warranties or programs in effect that would provide coverage of your current concern. I have also verified that your vehicle is not involved in any open recall programs. I understand that you feel that this is a common issue with the same year, make and model of your vehicle. However, Ford Motor Company and the national highway traffic and safety administration (NHTSA) work together to proactively identify areas of concern through investigation of consumer and dealer feedback. During an investigation Ford cooperates fully with NHTSA. Due to our rigorous safety standards and constant testing, not all issues result in recall or customer satisfaction programs. If a program is announced on a specific component, Ford will notify you by mail. It was further explained to me via phone that since my vehicle was produced 6/2007 it was out of a 5 year warranty and further since I was the second owner of the vehicle there was no warranty. Upon doing research before contacting Ford I found this was an issue as early as the 2005 model Escape. I do not understand how it is possible for a company to continue to sell a vehicle with an issue such as this. I am fortunate that financially I am in a position where getting a better car was possible and has been done, but who resolves this for other owners whom could not see the issue until paint chips, like me and then are told, Ford whom should be responsible for it will not be?

- Dublin, OH, USA

Mar 102013

I pulled into a parking space at around 5-10 mph, hit the brakes and the accelerator pedal stuck. The car took of at around 40-50mph jumped a fence and crashed into a ravine, hitting a big tree. I was pinned in the automobile hit my head and injured my leg. I was taken to the emergency room where I suffered a spinal cord injury and a huge hematoma on my left leg.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 102013

I was driving on I 40 in garner, nc, and heard very loud noise, it was my moon roof, exploded, shattered. I looked on internet and found no recalls on this. Did find people who have complained about the same thing has happened to them with their Escapes and Ford not going good for it, what does it take" injury"

- Garner, NC, USA

May 162012

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While the vehicle was parked, the contact noticed the rear driver's side exterior door handle partially detached upon entering the vehicle. In addition, the rear driver's side door lock failed to function properly. The vehicle was not inspected. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA