2008 Ford Escape electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Dec 262016

Escape

My Ford Escape's power steering suddenly went out in my while driving, it made the rest of the ride home from work extremely difficult and unsafe. I did my research and found there was in fact a Ford recall on this issue for my year and model car, however my VIN was not included in the recall, only the software update which I did handle in September 2014 at the dealership. The recall states the affected vehicles have a steering torque sensor that may not be able to properly detect steering input. As a result could remove the esp assist (electric power steering) we talked with Ford corporate and they said it was not part of recall but if the exact part that is included in the recall that will be replaced at no charge, they would work with us to have it replaced. When we brought it to local dealership, they confirmed after getting the error code the torque sensor did need to be replaced. They would not assist us in fixing it and after 2 calls to a supervisor we got them to escalate to Ford that still denied claim, and service manager even agreed that it should be added to the recall list when we picked it up that night. We called Ford again and talked with customer service and they said it had been too long since the software upgrade and nothing they could do. I will be reporting Ford to the BBB and still trying to escalate further as this car should be included in the recall due to the safety issue. All they said was to report it to the NHTSA site.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Dec 202016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 25 mph and making a right turn, the steering wheel seized and the wrench sensor indicator illuminated. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after the first attempt. The vehicle was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (electrical system, steering), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Linden, NJ, USA

Dec 232016

Escape

ABS control module / hydraulic control unit hcu has gone out on my 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. It has left me with very little braking ability. If this was to happen on the hwy it could have been catastrophic. It is a $6,000 repair and it apparently requires a full replacement of the $4,000 part, the ABS control module / hcu. Ford needs to take ownership of this issue and correct the problem with their faulty hcus in these cars!

- Rockwall, TX, USA

Nov 142016

Escape

As I was driving home from work and turning a corner, my power steering just stopped working and I almost drove into another car, so to avoid colliding into on coming traffic I went onto the shoulder. I contacted the dealer and they said that my car was not included in the recall, but according to this web site it is. What do I need to do, crash?

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Sep 012016

Escape

When sitting idle at red light or stop sign, it rumbles roughly, I hit the accelerator it hesitates to go then all of a sudden gets a burst of speed. This mainly happens in city street.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Aug 292016

Escape

For several weeks, it was having a difficult time getting my car to start. I had to push the key in all way in...pushing it hard and sometimes jiggling the key to get it to start. I replaced the ignition switch (module) and that did not correct the problem and my car would not start at all. I had a locksmith change the ignition but that didn't work. Finally Ford said that it was the "ignition switch housing". this seems like Ford has a problem with defective parts. As the Ford dealer had to order a 2nd "switch housing" because the 1st one (the one in stock) was defective.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

May 012016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving various speeds, the vehicle suddenly shut off. After restarting the engine, the vehicle operated normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Eagle, MI, USA

Jun 042016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. After stalling, the emergency warning light illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electrical coolant pump motor for the hybrid battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V526000 (hybrid propulsion system), but the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Spring Grove, VA, USA

May 302016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to start without warning. The vehicle eventually started after ten attempts. In addition, while driving 25 mph, the vehicle veered to the right independently. The vehicle was diagnosed and the technician stated that the driver side ABS tone ring was fractured and the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 155,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Mar 012016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the ignition switch failed to turn correctly to start the engine. The engine was able to start after several attempts, but eventually failed permanently. The vehicle was taken to the manufacturer where it was diagnosed and repaired. The failure reccured after the repair. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- Elizabethon, TN, USA

May 312016

Escape

Truck is accelerating and switching gears on its own. While at a traffic light, a wrench light pops on and the truck begins to switch gears. Once the truck is turned off, the wrench light goes away but returns after driving begins again. Truck is not getting enough power when driving as if it is going to shut off. There are also jerking motions while driving.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 162016

Escape

Had the truck serviced received a perfect report, then 2 weeks later the steering became very tight and hard to steer.took the truck to 3 different shops to learn they were not equipped to handle an electrical power steering.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 212016

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving 45 mph, the steering wheel made a clicking sound and shook without warning. Approximately 30 seconds later, the steering wheel became very difficult to turn and failed. The next morning, when the vehicle was started, the maintenance warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was previously repaired per a recall in August of 2014 for the same issue, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering torque sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Twin Falls, ID, USA

Oct 242014

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). After the vehicle was repaired under the recall, the vehicle experienced several failures. The failures included the loss of anti-lock braking system, stability control, and the brake warning light was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed; however, the mechanic was unable to retrieve a fault code on the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,412.

- New Iberia, LA, USA

Feb 222016

Escape

Hi my name is jose hernandez I have a 2008 Ford scape and I am having steering wheel electrical problems when I turn on the car the steering wheel vibrate and I have done some research and I loock like there has been alot of people complaining abouth the same problem im having and that might be the steering wheel torque sensor

- Woodstock, IL, USA

Jan 012016

Escape

I took my 2008 Ford Escape in to have the sensor replaced on electric power steering that should have been taken care of correctly to start with. I filed a complaint yesterday for that issue. I forgot to mention and add a complaint for another issue that I am having also with the 2008 Ford Escape. I am having problems with the ignition. When you try to start the vehicle it will not start. If you remove the key and try again then it will start. Or if you sit and wait a few minutes and retry to start the vehicle then it will start. I thought at first this was caused by the shaken in the steering wheel. However the mechanic informed me that I needed a ignition switch and it was a separate issue and bill. I could only afford to have the sensor replaced for the eletric power steering wheel so for now I can only hope and pray the ignition switch does not go completely out and leave me stranded. I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle. Honestly... I want to cry! every time I turn around it is something going wrong with this vehicle. Also I had to get the serpentine belt fixed last week as well. I dont know of what more I can say at this time. My nerves are shot worring about what will go wrong next with this vehicle and I worry if it will start to pick my daughter up from school and soccer or if she will be left stranded because I don't have a reliable vehicle. Not to mention having to worry; about having money for repair after repair. I am so discussed with Ford! also I have a issue with the vehicle making a noise. I thought the noise could be related to the serpentine belt but that is not the case. It is something else, but I can't afford to address that issue until I can get the ignition switch replaced.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Feb 012016

Escape

The ignition switch has been replaced once and now the problem is starting again the key just turns and car doesn't turn over and it beeps because you cannot put key in right position.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Feb 192016

Escape

August 2014 took my 2008 Ford Escape into local Ford dealer for recall notice recall 14S05 - power steering assist fault issue with torque sensor replacement - lindquist Ford dealership just upgraded a program into my Escape for abt 20-30mins, didn't check any parts for replacement, told me no parts were replaced there was no warning light so they didn't physically take the time to look. February 2016 - no engine light comes on but when I turn the key over for the last 6wks sometimes my Escape starts up sometimes, sometimes it does not with a notice "power steering assist fault" - as weeks went by, the steering wheel is shaking more randomly while driving and stopping. The only way to start my Ford Escape is by remote start to bypass the starter. Recently, I took my car into my local mechanic, after thorough investigation the torque sensor is cracked. I was told by Ford employees, 2 other local Ford dealerships & the mechanic to take the Escape back to the dealership who opened up the original recall back in August 2014. That original dealership did make a claim, Ford warranty denied the claim- the dealership didn't "choose" to tell Ford warranty they never looked at the recall parts in August 2014 they just did the upgrade, their liability "that's what the letter told them to do, no warning light no replacement parts". I paid $70+ for what the mechanic just did for free. That dealership did not check for any parts that needed replaced back on 2014. Not only did the dealership charge me $70, I took the Escape back to the local mechanic and paid $500 for a new torque sensor; same exact part falling under the recall "power steering assist fault". denied claim on 2/19/2016, reason- it's been over a year since my recall update was done the dealership should have been replaced the part back in 2014. I drive 2 cars, seriously?

- Rapids City, IL, USA

Sep 102015

Escape

I have a 2008 Ford Escape that had a recall on it. After I took it in to the local Ford dealership, my car started having problems relating to the recall. After taking it to two different Ford companies and proving that the recall fix did not work and is causing problems, Ford refuses to authorize the other repairs that is covered under the recall, because one repair shop did the initial update. Now my car is having major problems, and I cannot afford to fix it. It is a safety issue. I have talked to 5 different people about the issue at Ford but they keep saying that the case number I provide the dealership should take care of it however it does not. Im a single mother of 3 with low income and if my cars power steering goes out at a crucial time I could potentially cause a serious accident.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Jan 172016

Escape

Experienced sudden engine shut down while driving 60mph on freeway. Put vehicle in neutral and coasted to shoulder. Vehicle restarted. No fault code found

- Roseville, MN, USA