2008 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Feb 042015

2008 Ford Escape had the recall done for the power steering in September then in November I had everything checked because my gas pedal got stuck. Then I got the readout they gave me a list of all of the problems that were wrong with my vehicle which nothing appeared when they did the recall the torque sensor was one of them something that they should have replaced but told me since it didn't read at the time the software was the only thing that they could do and I had to pay for it in February the power steering went back in to manual they will not fix it at the dealership they tell me to call Ford. Ford tells me that there's nothing that they can do that there's an independent company that handles recalls the dealership tells me to call Ford so from September till now I put about 5000 miles on the vehicle I don't think I should have to pay for this the only thing I can think of is to take them to court along with Ford Motor Company I don't understand how they can find so many things wrong with my vehicle now when they had to do a diagnostic check and check the entire vehicle and did not find anything wrong at that time.all they did was software update I dropped it off and had it back in one hour and two months later they want me to pay for all these things wrong with my vehicle when I definitely suspect that everything was wrong with it at the time they just don't want to pay for anything and I definitely feel like the government should go after them.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Jan 102015

I was driving on the freeway with cruise control on and the safety issue occurred when I tried to slow down/turn off the cruise control. The cruise control would not turn off and the brakes did not work. I was stomping on the brake with both feet and the car was not slowing down. After riding the brakes the car slowed down and I was able to pull into the scales on the side of the freeway. Ford replaced the cruise control cable for $235 and said there was no recall for this safety issue. This was a very dangerous issue and I believe it should be free to fix.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 122015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle it stopped accelerating & lost rpms. The SUV jolted forward & back & did not have enough power to accelerate. It made a revving sound each time the gas pedal was pressed. At moments the SUV would accelerate slowly but then repeat the process over.

- Templeton, MA, USA

Jan 212015

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the accelerator pedal became stuck. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Severna Park , MD, USA

Jan 142015

Approximately in March of 2014, we had an issue with the ABS light coming on and traction control coming on for no reason at all. This made driving/steering extremely difficult. We took it to the shop where the tone ring and speed sensor were replaced. In December 2014, we had similar issues and we took it to the Ford dealership. We were told it was a speed sensor issue again. The work was done at the independent shop though since they did the original work. Yet again, in January 2015 we were experiencing the same issues again and had the car towed to the shop. The left front speed sensor was diagnosed as the problem. There is obviously some sort of failure that is occurring to trigger this issue. If you do a google search, there are several complaints similar to mine. I believe this should be investigated for a possible recall. This is crating a safety issue that can lead to accidents.

- Coatesville, PA, USA

Apr 232014

TL-the contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal required excessive force in order for the vehicle to accelerate. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 120,000. Djr

- Palmyra, PA, USA

Nov 122014

Escape 4-cyl

Gas pedal sticks when air temp is below 20 degrees. Can't press pedal to get gas to engine.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Aug 282010

I own a 2008 Ford Escape, in August 28th, 2014 as I was coming off the highway and stopped at a light my vehicles wrench symbol came on and as I tried accelerating my vehicle went up to 45 RPM before changing gear into second. Since this day, I tried taking my car into repair services but I am very limited, as a full time student and a father at the moment I was not working and relying on my school income which was not a lot to repair my car. The car has gotten worse since then, instant of going up to 45 RPM in order to change into second gear it sometimes goes up to 60 RPM before changing, not only that but as I slowly break my car suddenly speeds up forward, like a boost which I need to firmly apply my breaks again. I've tried taking it to Ford, but so much for help or willing to work with me, it is disappointing when we purchase our favorite vehicles and get turned down by the company knowing we are in need of help. My car consumes gas, every other day I have to fill up it to keep it from completely running low, in a day it consumes half the tank, with the second day my gas is nearly done. I went from spending 120-30 biweekly on gas to 120 every two days, add it up especially as a full time student. I am a father of two in which I freak out when I have them in my car. I've came to realize I am not the only one that has this issue, I've seen a serious amount of complaints about 05 to 13 Ford Escape models. There is no recall for fixing the problem which leaves many of us helpless. Ford does not treat their customers well. Ford is the definition of poor customer service. The transmission is going out, if that is the case how the hell do I and others come up with $4200 to replace my transmission having two children. I am pinned against the wall and there isn't anything I can do, if this isn't a cry for help, then I don't know what to do, please help.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Feb 142012

Escape 4-cyl

While trying to accelerate onto the highway the vehicles gas pedal freezes. I was unable to get the vehicle to accelerate. I continually tapped on the pedal and eventually had to go under the vehicle hood to tug on throttle cable. This freed the stuck pedal. I called the Ford Motor Co. And reported this incident in 2012. They said that it was not an issue and to continue driving the vehicle. Over the past year or so I have had intermittent issues only when the vehicle is first started. It has recently become a bigger issue as of 12/8/14 as my wife was driving the vehicle while merging into highway traffic and the vehicle again would not accelerate. I met her tugged on the throttle cable and the pedal became free again. I drove to the nearest gas station to check again under the hood and as I left the same issue occurred, a stuck pedal. While driving I had to hold one foot on the brake and one on the gas to keep the pedal from locking in the closed position. This is not a safe form of driving and believe there in a design issue with Ford Motor Co. Throttle. The Ford company again said their engineers says this is not an issue and to take the vehicle to the dealer at my expense. This is a safety issue as the vehicle is unable to accelerate in traffic. Does someone have to die before this gets fixed. I do not want it to be me! thank you

- Albemarle, NC, USA

Oct 012010

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximate 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated without warning. The contact merged over to an emergency lane. The contact stated that on another occasion, the accelerator pedal became stuck downward. The failure recurred multiple times, mainly during cold weather. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for a diagnosis of the failure. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and they informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in the manufacturer's recall. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Tinley Park , IL, USA

Oct 222014

Escape 4-cyl

After years (since early on in the ownership of the vehicle purchased new from the dealer) of intermittent problems with my gas pedal sticking (mostly in colder weather), the most recent incident was by far the worst and, like many other 2008 Ford Escape owners with the same issue, I am very lucky that it occurred in an area where I was not in immediate danger from other cars. I was stopped at a stop sign and when I pressed the gas pedal to move forward the pedal started to respond then fell to the floor with no further response. There was no power to move forward and no warning lights came on. I lifted the pedal to make sure that it was not stuck on anything and it just fell limply back to the floor. I manipulated the arm under the pedal with my hand until it loosened up and the pedal was able to engage again. I then drove to my destination without further incident. This is not the first time this has happened and if my car does not become part of the "customer satisfaction program, " I am sure that it will not be the last. The NHTSA investigation of alleged throttle body failures in 2005-2012 Ford Escape vehicles sharing the same or substantially similar part, did not result in enough vehicles being included in the resulting Ford "customer satisfaction program, " which only included cars from 2009-2012, when it should have included many more cars. The complaint forums are filled with many complaints regarding the same issue from at least 2008 Ford Escape owners. To not include everyone from the initial investigation is doing a disservice and it will be sad day when the rest of the car owners are included only because somebody has died!

- Menlo Park, CA, USA

Dec 012013

Escape 4-cyl

My vehicle has been exhibiting issues relating to the Ford consumer satisfaction program 13N03 where the accelerator "sticks" or doesn't respond to my pressure. Requiring more pressure then usual, the vehicle will then surge forward for an incredibly jostling acceleration. This issue will happen not only when stopped but also when in motion. This becomes particularly problematic when trying to merge or turn into moving traffic as I am never sure whether or not my accelerator/ throttle body will respond as it should. I have been experiencing this issue for over 2 years, but the issue is intermittent. The issue becomes worse in cold weather, making it even more dangerous when road conditions are slippery. I contacted Ford regarding this issue, citing the above mentioned consumer satisfaction program, but I was told that my VIN number was not included in the program and the repair would not be covered. It seems ludicrous that my vehicle, which has been identified as having this issue, would not be included in the program. Ford should reevaluate the vehicles that are included in this program, because the problem is obviously more wide-spread than there program has identified. I am incredibly disappointed in their customer service and their non-responsiveness in handling this issue.

- Evanvsille, IN, USA

Nov 102014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Difficulty shifting from gears. Throttling high before shifting. I have replaced transmission three times in this vehicle.

- Pottstown, PA, USA

Nov 132014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Throttle body actuator system failure. Surging, unnecessary revving at low speeds. Inconsistent acceleration and gear change. Trouble code "P2112 throttle actuator system stuck".

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 112014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Driving down the road the power cut out to the vehicle, and the throttle stopped responding, the engine continued to run but very labored. At the same time the wrench light lit up on the dash. Using the forward momentum I was able to pull the vehicle over, where it stalled. I was able to re-tart the engine where it ran labored again, and stalled out, the throttle was not responsive during this time at all. After approximately 10 re-starts with the last coming after the vehicle sat awhile, I was able to re-start it and drive it normal. Throttle response returned, and the wrench light was off. This issue occurred for my wife again on 11/12 with a similar result.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Jan 182012

Escape 4-cyl

My daughter was driving her 2008 Ford Escape and her gas pedal stuck while trying to get it in gear to reverse at least ten different times.. when this occurred in January of 2012 however, she was turning onto a busy street when the gas pedal stuck while the speed went down to zero. Luckily she was not rear ended. She was away at college and I told her to get it to the Ford dealer near her. The problem was diagnosed as the throttle body was sticking and replacement was advised and was subsequently completed at a cost of $486.83. I have just recently learned of recalls for this problem with the throttle on several Escape model years. I want to know if I have any recourse to be reimbursed for this repair.

- Maumee, OH, USA

Feb 012013

Escape 4-cyl

During cooler weather the gas pedal becomes "stuck" and can not be pushed. Almost as though something is placed under the gas pedal. You have to literally stomped on it to get it down and sometimes that doesn't even work. When this problem initially started happening, it would happen right after starting. I began to tell my daughter to warm her car and press the pedal a few times before leaving. She just called me and this incident happened while she was driving! it is 54 degrees here and this is the first time it has happened since last winter. I have read several complaints about this and feel that it is a huge safety hazard especially for my 16 year old daughter.

- Arnaudville, LA, USA

Oct 042014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

As I was exiting a ramp, the car stopped accelerating completely..forcing me to pull over, as I continue on it does not accelerate when gas is pushed completely down. Wrench light came on but leaves when car is off. Driving aprox. 3 blocks before wrench light comes on again...

- Scranton, PA, USA

Oct 102014

Vehicle won't shift into 2nd gear until reaching 3500 - 4000 rpms. Can let off gas to ease change, else vehicle jerks into 2nd.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 102014

Escape 4-cyl

"stuck gas pedal": as I was driving to work in moderately heavy traffic on us 127 in Michigan at approximately 8 a.M., on 10 October 2014, the gas pedal froze on my (manual transmission) 2008 Ford Escape and I began to lose speed quickly from the 70 mph I had been traveling. The pedal would not move up or down no matter how hard I pushed or pulled at it. I tried kicking it as best as I could but it would not budge, and the floor mat was not near the pedal at all. I had to maneuver to the shoulder of the road and continued 'coasting' while I tried to get the pedal to move. The area I was at was not conducive to a full stop unless absolutely necessary due to the clearance on the side of the road and the curve I was on. My speed had dropped to less than 55 mph when the gas pedal finally released and I was able to push it down to increase my speed again and eventually work back into traffic, though with caution in case it happened again as I was still not in an area safe for a full stop. The temperature at that time was around freezing. I took the Escape to the Ford dealer and they said no codes appeared when scanned so there was nothing to indicate it had happened. They also told me that neither my vehicle, nor the throttle assembly in it are listed as part of the recall for "sticky accelerator pedal" for Ford Escapes. This is a 2008 manual transmission, 4 cy., 4-door, 2wd Escape. Why was it not included in the recall? I've had problems with the gas pedal 'catching' and then immediately releasing since we bought it (at about 16000 miles), but the dealer could never duplicate the problem and thus did nothing about it. My online research indicates this "frozen" or "stuck" pedal (where the pedal will not depress at all) is not a new issue and across all model years, yet nothing has been done by Ford and they refuse to acknowledge it.

- Leslie, MI, USA