2.6

2008 Ford Escape miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Sep 082016

Escape

Rear hatch latch will not close when opened. We have had one replaced already and within a month it has broken again. Believe hatch window is leaking into wall of hatch and shorting the component that open and closes the hatch. We have had to drive home with an unlatched hatch. There are plenty of complaints about this on the net. Dealers don't want to hear about it.

- Alfred, ME, USA

Aug 312016

Escape

The ignition will not start when you turn the key and after several attempts it will eventually start

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 222016

Escape

When I go to start my Escape, I have to press really hard to get it to start. In the past few weeks it takes 10-15 mins of trying over and over to get it to work. I am afraid that it just will not work one day. I take the key out and flip it over...does not help. All the dash lights come on...it recognizes the key...just will not start.

- Tupelo, MS, USA

Jun 152016

Escape

My gas pedal completely broke and dropped down while driving on the freeway, and I could not move once the car came to a stop. I have google this particular issue with other Ford Escapes 2008, and many other folks have the same issue or are complaining about a sticky or loose gas pedal. This is a very serious and dangerous issue. I could have been involved in a very horrible accident, and other folks are at similar risk.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 082016

Escape

My ignition, some times it starts, some times I have trouble starting it, other times it doesn't start at all.!!

- Merrillville, IN, USA

Apr 222016

Escape

While driving down a city street my truck began revving as if it were trying to change gears or accelerate without my adding any additional pressure on the gas pedal. At one point I had taken my foot completely off the gas pedal and it was revving up. This occurred about 3 times over the course of a half mile approximately. Once I entered my subdivision every time I came to a stop sign and made a stop my truck would get "stuck". I would press the gas pedal in an attempt to drive forward and the truck would not move. The vehicle was in drive and remained running and never shut off. After several attempts to drive forward to no avail I had to place the gear in park and manually turn off my truck and restart it and place the gear back in drive in order to be able to move forward. This happened 3 times in my subdivision after coming to a stop. Upon finally making it to my driveway I placed the gear in reverse in an attempt to back into my driveway and the truck began driving forward instead. I have not driven my truck since this happened as it is very unsafe to operate. I also have not yet had it serviced because I have seen on the news that Ford has a recall coming on some vehicles due to transmission issues that sound like what I have experienced so I am waiting to get notice of the official recall list to see if my make and model are included.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Feb 122015

Escape

Transmission is constantly leaking.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 012015

Escape

Have to push the key in very hard to get the car to start or "jimmy" the key around very hard. Take at least five minutes to get the car to start because of key. Sometime it starts sometimes it doesn't. key not turning over. Possibly ignition switch no working correctly. Everything else on the car has been checked out and it working fine. It's been difficult to get the ignition and key to work for months. Now they won't work at all.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Nov 032014

Escape

When I would try to accelerate whether from a stopped position or already in motion my gas pedal sticks. I'm unable to press it down and I lose speed. Each time I press the gas pedal or brake pedal I hear a pop. I was trying to merge onto the highway and it suddenly wouldn't let me accelerate for a few minutes. This is very dangerous and frightening. It also does this if I'm already in motion of if I try to accelerate from a stopped position. I fear for my life and the life of my family. I take my husband to work an hour away, this is terrifying and unacceptable. I also Transport my children to their jobs and schools. Please help before someone gets killed.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Mar 022015

Escape

I think my vehicle has some kind of electrical short. After I take the key out sometimes the car will start by itself and today the locks started locking unlocking by themselves. I was in the vehicle and it was running. Also the back winshield motor cover fell off and no longer works. I can no longer lock my back window and it opens and shuts the whole time I am driving. Such a disappointment. My last Ford Escape I had 10 years and racked up over 250,000 miles - that car was a dream. This used 2008 I bought seems to be a lemon :

- Yamhill, OR, USA

Jul 072015

Escape

Attempted to pull into uncoming traffic in a 45mph zone, but could not get to more than 10mph. The power train light appeared as a wrench bottom left of steering wheel. Glided/steered car immediatly to closest parking lot and called closest Ford dealership.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 012015

Escape

The ceiling liner of the car is falling off.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Sep 102013

Escape 6-cyl

Serious vibration, lot of cracking noise, steering wheel locking up, have to adjust steering wheel to start vehicle.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jan 262008

Escape

I purchsed this car December 22, 2007. In late January 2008 I was stopped at a stop sign and when I accelerated the car crept along for several feet before the transmission "slammed" into gear and then the car moved normally. I went to the dealer where I purchased the car and since they were unable to duplicate the problem they said there was nothing they could do. I have experienced this problem many times since and every time the dealer says they can't diagnose the problem if they can't duplicate it. There is no pattern to his transmission "slippage, " so I can't predict when it will happen and neither I nor the mechanics have been able to cause it to happen. Last week I was stopped at a light on a very busy 4-lane street in the middle of sarasota, fl, and when the light changed the engine raced, but the car would not move. It finally started moving slowly and after a few feet the transmission finally kicked into the right gear and moved normally. I was lucky that no one slammed into the back of my car. I tried to find a phone number for Ford customer service, but apparently they no longer take phone calls. A friend of mine has a 2011 Escape and she said she has experienced the same problem. There are many similar complaints on internet blogs. This is a real safety issue that needs to be corrected.

- Rotonda West, FL, USA

Jan 232011

Escape

While trying to leave a fast food drive up my power steering froze up. I had to manually ream on the steering wheel to make all corners from the restaurant to my condo - approximately 4 miles. I did not have any component messages on the read out. When the tow truck driver arrived an hour later he was able to move the SUV from the garage to his flatbed tow truck - no problem. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where it was "checked out" for two days. Nothing was found.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Jan 172009

Escape

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While the vehicle was parked in the garage, the contact noticed smoke coming from the garage door. Upon further inspection, she noticed huge flames underneath the vehicle. The vehicle exploded and the back of the house and the garage door were blown away as a result. Prior to the failure, the vehicle had not been driven for two days and displayed no signs of failure. The fire department was called and extinguished the flames. The home and the vehicle were destroyed. There were no injuries. The insurance company inspected the vehicle and stated that the cause of the failure was unknown. The manufacturer stated that they would forward the complaint to their attorney and call the contact back with an update. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Reston, VA, USA

Sep 012008

Escape

Consumer states that his 2008 Ford Escape has several problems. Efforts has been made to fix the vehicle, but new problems develop and ongoing problems has not been resolved.

- Woodside, NY, USA