2009 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 11 of 13)

Apr 202013

I was driving on a 2 lane road at 35 mph with my young daughter and friend in the car when the car rapidly decelerated unexpectedly to around 5 mph. It sputtered and the "throttle control/power train" light lit on the dash. Fortunately, the traffic was moving slow enough that I did not cause an accident. I turned on my hazard lights and crawled to the intersection where I turned onto a service road and parked. I waited 5 minutes and restarted the car and made it home safely 3 miles away. I will see what Ford dealer has to say about this on the next business day. I have this car now for less than four years and have one incident after another. I have purposely purchased american made cars over the last 7 years, but don't seem to have luck. I may have to go back to foreign brands.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 122013

Escape 6-cyl

The affected part is the throttle body. This issue had happened about 10 times since March 12th 2013. I was driving in rush hour traffic and going about 65 when it happened and it just stalled. There was a wrench light that came on. I had to somehow merge over two lanes while not being able to accelerate (very scary)! again this has happened about 10 times finally today while on a busy highway, where there was barely any room to pull over, it happened again. I was able to start it back up merge back into traffic, somehow, and about a mile down the freeway it happened again. I was able to find somewhere to pull over and this time the engine light came on. I took it somewhere and was able to get a fault code (P2111). There needs to be a recall on this! it was not only scary but very dangerous. I hope that if there is anyone else out there with this problem they make a complaint.

- Parma, OH, USA

Oct 242009

On October 24, 2009, the RPM needle would stick at the 2000 level. Hesitation occurred when accelerating March 2, 2010, the throttle binded on acceleration. On july19, 2011, powertrain control module had to be reprogrammed due to recall.on February 12, 2011, engine died while driving, restarted engine, and would drive, and problem would repeat. Throttle body assembly replaced.on December 3,2012, engine light would appear and dtc codes were cleared, wiggle test and wiring diagnosis performed. On March 16th,2013, car powered down to slow crawl and engine light appeared. Transmission axle leak repaired. On April 5th, throttle /powertrain light appeared and car slowed down to a slow crawl. Restarted and drove home. I am concerned for my safety and have no confidence in driving this car.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Nov 152008

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle was hesitant to accelerate. Additionally, while parked and shifting into park or reverse the vehicle jerked. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Mar 212013

Escape 4-cyl

Was driving at a consistent speed down a fairly busy road. Vehicle suddenly lunged forward and accelerated without any pressure on gas pedal and I almost hit car in front of me and braking had no effect. After a few seconds of acceleration the car seemed to lose power to the drivetrain and was unresponsive to me pressing the gas pedal, and the wrench warning light game on. I could only coast over to the side of the road, but the shoulder was not wide enough so part of my car was still in the lane and the car behind me had to swerve out of my way. The car was stuttering and did nothing when I pressed the gas pedal, clutch, or changed gears. Turned off and restarted and the car was working fine as it had been before the incident. The wrench light had disappeared so my mechanic could not pull any codes, but believes it is a defective sensor in the throttle body. For the car to suddenly lunge forward uncontrollably without any warning is extremely dangerous, no matter how short of time. I won't drive until the new part arrives, which could be a week as I live in Hawaii. Also, Ford is refusing to pay for it as the warranty has expired. Upon investigating this weekend I have found that this is a common problem with the Escapes, but as an owner I was never once warned of it. Had I been I would have it checked out much earlier and replaced if necessary.

- Kailua Kona, HI, USA

Feb 272012

Escape 6-cyl

I started having problems with my car shutting down in Feb 2012. After 2 throttle body's and still problems the dealer put a flight recorder on my car. This recorded 5 episodes of engine failure. They found that a sensor to the main computer was bad and replaced it. They left the recorder on and today 3/12/13 the car stopped twice and I pressed the recorder button. The car seizes, the engine revs when standing still and hesitates upon pick up. This has gone on long enough. Ford doesn't know what to do about this problem and it is hazardous to my health. One day my luck may not be good as to who is behind me when it stalls. Recall! recall! recall! someone needs to do something about this!

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Mar 172010

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the rpms increased excessively. The vehicle also jerked forward without warning. The contact stated that the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000 and the current mileage was 65,000.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Feb 092013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving approximately 55 on an interstate in middle of heavy traffic, my 2009 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L suddenly decelerated and went into limp mode. I carefully made it to the shoulder as speed dropped to about 5 miles an hour. While parked on the shoulder I noticed the warning light for the electronic throttle was lit. I shut off the engine and waited about 5 minutes. I restarted without incident. This is the 2nd time this has happened and it has been running rough as well.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jun 222012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the highway the vehicle lost power and the wrench light came on. It wouldn't accelerate I was able to coast to the shoulder unharmed, but it was a morning commute and the highway was very busy I could have easily been hit. I turned the car off and it did start up again. This happened 2 more times in the same morning. I called the Ford service department and immediately brought my car in per their instruction. After holding my car for 2 days and charging me $130 for service they told me there was nothing they could do because the wrench light doesn't hold codes. They knew when I dropped it off the only light that came on was no longer on when I brought the car in and they didn't warn me in advance that they weren't going be able to do anything without it happening while they had it. My vehicle at this time was under maintenance and power train warranty. So I took it home and this happened about 20 more times both on the highway and driving through town over about a 7 month period. This happened again 2 days ago 4 times on my way home from work on a very narrow road so it was very dangerous. This time the check engine light stayed on and I made another appointment with Ford. I was told it had the codes for (throttle body stuck open/closed) they were able to replace the throttle body which I hope will fix this extremely dangerous problem. My car is still under powertrain warranty, but I was told that this part is not covered. So I paid full price for the part because my safety is more important, but this should really be recall. There were numerous times I could have been in a very serious accident.

- Windsor, CA, USA

Feb 142013

Escape 6-cyl

My wife and I were driving home from supper at a restaurant. We were on a busy city street doing about 30 mph, when the car suddenly lost power and slowed to around 1 to 2 mph. We managed to ease the car home(around 2blocks) amid horns blowing and lights flashing from other drivers.the engine light had come on and showed a picture of a wrench. When I explained to the lady at the Ford dealership the next day, she seemed to know right away that it would be a wrench showing, which made me assume that they had this problem before.....bill for repairs was $545.

- St.Petersburg, FL, USA

Dec 022012

My 2009 Ford Escape has acceleration problems. I try not to make left turns due to vehicle slowing down when I am accelerating, the wrench comes on in the cab when I start experiencing the problem. Also when on highway wrench light comes on and car slows down lie the brakes are on.

- E Wareham, MA, USA

Feb 192013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving, the vehicle lost power. When pressing on gas it just coasted. The wrench warning light came on. Was able to get to side of the road, but almost got hit from behind. Turned vehicle off, restarted and was back on the road. On other occasions there has been some surging. I see that there has been many complaints on this problem and it is getting some press that there is a defective part (throttle body). I contacted Ford service and was told that they could look at it, but it is not under warranty. However, the wrench warning light indicate a power train issue, I was told it is not covered under the power train warranty. This does not make sense and it truly looks like a defective part. This is very unsafe and could result in a very bad accident in traffic. This needs to be a recall since they are aware of the issue.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Feb 092011

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the RPM increased. The contact mentioned that the wrench symbol warning light illuminated. Also, the contact stated that the failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Partland, WI, USA

May 132009

Escape 6-cyl

My first incident with my 2009 Ford Escape happened shortly after I bought it. After just starting my truck and driving a short distance, the truck would not accelerate but the RPM's were roaring to over 6000 and my truck finally shot out into traffic. Luckily on a very busy street, no one was coming at the time. After that the truck had multiple incidents of not accelerating in traffic and a roaring and rapid rise in RPM's. I learned to immediately turn my car off (in the middle of the road) and then restart and it would usually work properly. It can be very scary. It would often slam into gear when this happened which I know was not good for my transmission. This happened intermittently so I knew it might be hard for a technician to replicate. When I took it to the dealer for 3 years they said everything was fine. When my warranty was up I went in and insisted that they fix my truck. They replaced a tie rod, fixed the sway bar linkage and said it was fine. It started making really loud noises a month later and I took it to my mechanic who again fixed the linkage. I called Ford and they kept the truck for a couple weeks and did extensive transmission work. It has had 2 problem since but not as bad. I still worry about front end issues after 3 years of slamming into gear with the engine revving. I bought this vehicle(usually I leased my truck) because I was retiring and now I feel I must get rid of it because of anticipated mechanical trouble.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Feb 132013

Our 2009 Ford Escape is stalling and surging. The Escape suddenly decelerates like it is stalling out, on other occasions it accelerates and revs the engine really high then drops back down.

- St. Clair Shores, MI, USA

Jan 262013

Escape 6-cyl

My Ford Escape 2009 keeps losing acceleration ability. The first time it happened I was only going 25 on a residential road so I was able to pull over easily. Wrench light is on, I turn car off and restart and acceleration is fine. The next time I was pulling out of my driveway again turn car off wait turn car on and I'm fine next time heading home from work on a very busy street happened in the intersection had to get over limped into a quick trip turned off then back on works fine. But who is to say this won't happen when I am trying to turn against traffic I would be in a serious wreck. Took it to the dealership the mechanic could not get a code off the computer. They are still trying but when a women (myself) mentions throttle body they try to say no that couldn't be it.

- Independence, MO, USA

Sep 082012

2009 Ford Escape. Consumer writes in regards to acceleration problems. The consumer stated she was driving in the city, at 50 mph, when suddenly the vehicle failed to accelerate. Her foot was all the way to the floor, but it would not accelerate. She also noticed two symbols, a gas and a wrench light, appeared on the left side of the dashboard. She was able to pull over, and turned the engine off. Shortly after she turned the engine off and started it again, she was able to drive without any problem. She contacted the dealer, and was advised to monitor the situation. On December 21, 2012, as she was driving 40 mph in the city, the vehicle suddenly failed to accelerate again. At that time, only the symbol of the wrench appeared on the left side of the dashboard. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer for an inspection, only to be told, they could not find a problem.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Jan 082013

Stop and speed up and not want to move had to replace throttle body unit.

- St Ann , MO, USA

Jan 072013

Escape 6-cyl

This happened first on January 7 and again today jjnuary 10, 2013. The car suddenly stops. The yellow wrench warning light comes on and indicates throttle control problem. Can turn car off and restart and drive normally. It was very scary as my wife was left in the dark in the middle of a busy street. It seems to be very intermiitent. I have read others reports of this and Ford apparently is not taking action. This is very dangerous situation which many have reported.

- Pendleton, IN, USA

Sep 072012

Escape 6-cyl

My vehicle will be driving fine until suddenly the car losses the ability to accelerate and the "wrench" light appears and the engine shakes forcefully. At that time I power the vehicle off and restart it. When it restarts the engine shakes for like 30 seconds and then the car proceeds to drive normal until the next incident occurs. At the time I was driving on a busy road at about 50 miles per hour. This has happened on several occasions. I was on the highway driving 65 and it has happened. I have three kids and this is extremely dangerous.

- Darien, IL, USA