2009 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 13)

Nov 212013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on Monday 11/18/13 my wife was stopping then went to accelerate and the vehicle stalled. Upon turning it off it restarted just fine. This happen 3 more times from then to Tuesday evening. I drove it to work Wednesday 11/20/13 and while accelerating on to hwy 94 the vehicle stalled. It did hesitate upon restarting but started and ran. Wednesday evening on our way home doing approx 30mph the vehicle stalled and again hesitated to start but did and ran ok. Thursday morning 11/21/13 while on my way to work I was at cruising speed doing approx 60mph on hwy 94 the vehicle stalled. It hesitated to restart again but started after leaving the vehicle off for a few seconds.

- St.Paul, MN, USA

Nov 142013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle suddenly lost power and slowed down. Symptoms match what others report to be a bad throttle body which Ford has changed design of. Has happened twice now. Ford says we have to pay for this repair but it sounds like it should be a recall.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Nov 132013

Escape 6-cyl

I was making a left hand turn and as I was turning my car slowed down to 1-2 mph I drove it just long enough to get to a safe place (less then 100 feet) and as I drove the car jerked. When I put it in park the car shook so I turned it off. The light that came on was the throttle/powertrain.

- Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA

Nov 112013

While driving at approximately 15 mph while making a left hand turn my 2009 Ford Escape stalled without any warning signs. Engine restarted immediately. About 20 minutes later while coming to a stop to put the vehicle in reverse the engine stalled again. Engine restarted immediately again.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Oct 312013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling at approximately 65 mph when my vehicle slightly lunged forward then I lost all speed control. My speed dropped rapidly and I was unable to use my gas pedal. I was able to roll to a safe place to call and wait for a tow truck. My owner's manual indicated the warning light (wrench) meant there was a throttle control/powertrain failure and to contact a dealership right away. I had my vehicle towed to the nearest dealership. I was contacted the following day that the diagnosis was the throttle body had to be replaced and that my extended warranty plan, millennium, which I purchased through Ford Motor Company, was not covering the repair because they categorized that part under "emissions." That is ridiculous. After additional research I have found numerous websites indicating this throttle body issue has been brought to Ford's attention and they have yet to issue a recall. I also found that there was a recall for this part on the 2010 Ford freestyle....why aren't they taking care of this problem for the rest of us? it's a real problem! this repair and subsequent need for a rental car has cost me almost $600 and I'm sure I am not alone, based on what I've read in the past few days.

- Azle, TX, USA

Nov 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power up steep hill almost resulting in rolling backwards down hill. Car had previously and intermittently lost power surge when accelerating onto highway into a merge situation.

- Wakefield, MA, USA

Nov 042013

On Friday, November 1, I was driving to work when suddenly the Escape failed to accelerate. The wrench light appeared. I coasted to the right turn lane then stopped. Turned the Escape off, waited a few seconds and then tried starting it. It started but the entire vehicle shook. I was able to get the Escape to crawl to a parking lot. I turned it back off and waited a few minutes longer. After about ten minutes, I tried starting it and it seemed to run just fine. On Monday, November 4, I had a repeat of this. We had the repair shop tow it in, fearing that it would die in traffic and cause an accident. The car dealer says it was the throttle body.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Oct 252013

This has happened twice now. I have been driving my car and all of a sudden I loose gas power, but my brakes and steering still works fine. I have to pull over to the side of the road and come to a complete stop. While at a complete stop I can feel my car/ engine making a jerking "thudding" noise/ motion. I then turn my car off and take my key out of the ignition for the a couple of minutes. After letting the car sit I out my key back in and try to start it. But the car hesitates to start, it cranks for a while and then eventually turns over and starts. When I begin driving again after the incident I can feel that my car is not driving the same. Both times it has occurred I was driving two completely different speeds.

- Worth, IL, USA

Oct 242013

Escape 6-cyl

Initially driving down the road at approximately 55 mph and the check engine light came on and the vehicle went into a stall. I lost all power even though the engine was sputtering. I pulled over and turned the vehicle off and restarted it. I lost power about 2 more times on a 20 mile trip. This has since happened during every drive on various distances. Sometimes at highway speeds and sometimes from a standstill.

- Penix City, AL, USA

Oct 242013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle enters limp mode and all power is lost, engine starts to stutter and tachometer jumps, wrench light (power-train) comes on. 3 times in 1 week. Mph = 60, 45, 30. Avoided accident and pulled over. Restarted vehicle and back to normal. No check engine light or codes stored. Dealer states they cannot diagnose unless they can recreate the problem. Danger of rear ending, T-bones upon left turns, and intersection pileups.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Oct 042013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at highway speed I lost acceleration. SUV shook then lost speed quickly. Was able to pull onto off road. Wrench lite on dash. I turned off SUV then restarted and lite went away. Drove to next turn off so I could turn around to head home. Samething happened on way home but after restarting SUV the wrench lite changed to engine service lite. Was able to get home from there. Took for service which concluded electronic throttle body was dirty so it cleaned. Was able to drive for about 20 days when issues accrued again. Throttle body needed replaced.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Oct 222013

During a basic oil change, we were informed the oil pan needed to be replaced because the threads for the plug were stripped. The service manager, I am basing this on what we were told by trained Ford technicians, stated "the oil pan is made of aluminum and it has stripped out." When asked what the plug was made of he said, " steal.". so now we have a car that has an oil plug that could come open at any time because it has become unsafe due to steal on aluminum creating a hole larger than was designed. We have a piece of the pan that has been stripped by the plug. So, I am going 75 mph down the highway and the plug comes out because it no longer fits correctly. Suddenly my engines freezes up. I'll be lucky to keep it on the road. We are very concerned that we will have an engine issue due to the engineering of the oil pan/plug. As of now they want us to pay $485 for anew oil pan that was poorly engineered. A steal plug on an aluminum pan is asking for trouble. We request Ford be required to replace the pans with steal ones.

- Canon City, CO, USA

Oct 182013

I had just come off a highway exit ramp and drove about 100 yards at 40mph, when the car suddenly slowed down to a stop. The odometer dropped from 40mph to zero in about 4 seconds when I just coasted to the side of the road. A wrench light appeared on the dash. I place the car in park and the only power I had was the electric that powered the headlights. I shutoff the ignition and restarted the car after about 15 seconds. The start was sluggish and when I placed the car in drive, it jerked forward. The car acceleration was poor for about 10 seconds before it finally caught the proper gear. I drove the car another two miles at 30mph with a little bit of hesitation in the engine. At this point the wrench light on the dash shut off. I have had no further issues since.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Oct 172013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving the vehicle at around 50 mph it lost all reaction to the accelerator and coasted to a stop while in heavy traffic. I turned the car off and waited 5 minutes, then started it again and began to drive. Within seconds the vehicle repeated the incident. I managed to get it into my driveway after repeated stops and restarts of the engine.

- Trenton, MI, USA

Oct 112013

Escape 6-cyl

As I was driving and the cruise control was set the road I was traveling had slight hills. It seems as though when the car went to down shift and speed up is when it lost power and went into limp mode. The last occurrence was on 10-17-13 while I was driving on a flat road. I had to brake for traffic when I went to accelerate is when it lost power and went into limp mode.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Oct 132013

Initial incident was near home in residential neighborhood. Wrench symbol appeared & vehicle began to slow down with inability to accelerate. Turned car off & then back on with no light present. Incident happened again next day driving on the expressway at about 65 mph. Vehicle began to shake & lose speed & wrench symbol reappeared. Was early morning & dark out & had to merge to shoulder. Had to frequently stop & turn car off in order to prevent from happening again. Fixed by Ford dealership citing throttle body issue & was replaced. Cost of repair just under $400.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Oct 102013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving on the highway, at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle bucked and instantaneously slowed down and was unable to accelerate. At that moment when the vehicle bucked the dash indicator (a wrench) came on showing the problem being the throttle control/powertrain. I was on the highway in the middle lane, in traffic when I lost the ability to accelerate and was luckily able to navigate to the right and coast to the exit that was less than a quarter mile from the incident. I placed it into park and it sputtered just prior to turning off the vehicle completely. After waiting about 10 minutes I then restarted the vehicle and the dash indicator did not come on, I therefore proceeded and drove it home. Because this occurred late evening I was not able to contact the dealer until the following day.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 082013

Escape 6-cyl

The first time I had a throttle failure (first time wrench light came on), I was on the free way going about 65 mph. My acceleration quickly died and the gas pedal was inactive and useless while my car slowed down. I pulled over on the side of the freeway left shoulder going North on the 5, and after a few minutes, my car turned back on and worked fine. I took my car to Firestone to cleanup throttle, only to find myself experience another car breakdown for the same reason the next day on the freeway going the same speed, this occurred 2 more times going about 25 mph the next day. All 4 times, , my wrench light came on my Escape as well as completely dying as far as acceleration. Each time, I had to pull over to the side. The last time this occurred was earlier today 10/10/13 as I was makin a left at a red light. Where I was afraid my car would not make it through the intersection.

- Vista, CA, USA

Oct 092013

While in the left lane of a 3 lane highway (bishop Ford) I was traveling about 65 mph then accelerating to 72 mph the car made a jerk ( felt like the transmission) then there was no acceleration and the wrench light came on. I tried to push the gas and nothing. I slowly moved to the emergency lane which was very dangerous because the average speed on this highway is about 70 and I had to crossover 2 lanes and at this point the car was less than 40 mph. No one wants to slow down to let you over. I had my 2 yr old in the car at the time so I was very nervous about getting hit by another vehicle. I turned off the car and the restarted and it and drove ok without this happening again. This jerk motion has happened several times and when I had it checked at the dealer while under warranty they could not find anything wrong because it did not do it when they drove the car. Anytime I had a complaint while under warranty they could not find anything wrong with the car. This is a hazard and to know so many complaints have been made and nothing has been done by Ford..................................anyone?S death by this will be on their hands.

- Hobart, IN, USA

Oct 082013

Started to accelerate and the car just has no power to go. Engine runs but touching the gas does nothing. Engine runs around 1K RPM's. the wrench light comes on. If you can live to turn the vehicle off and restart, the light goes out and the vehicle works fine. Seems like a lot of owners are having this problem. This is a life threatening problem.

- North Versailles, PA, USA