2009 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 7 of 13)

Aug 182013

Sunday August 18, 2013 9:30 pm driving back from store on highway 17 wrench showed up on dash and car slowed down and came to a complete stop. I pushed the gas but nothing happened. Traffic was behind me a I feared getting hit. I was able to get to the side of the road to avoid an accident. Turned car off and waited for a few seconds. Turned key in ignition and car started and ran just fine. 8/19/13, driving daughter to school on highway 80 vehicle did the same thing but sputtered twice. Needless to say sheer pandemonium! daughter screaming and crying because highway 80 is very congested and the speed is 55 to 60 mph. Managed to get to side of highway, repeated what I did the night before and car started just fine, was able to get daughter to school and myself to work. 8/20/13, it happened again. On highway 80, got to side of road and started car up again. Got daughter to school and on the way to work car stopped again. Started car again and got to work -- called Ford and took car to shop. Had to start car gain as it slowed down and would only go no more than 5 mph. Car is at shop right now. Waiting for Ford to call me. Car is under warranty as I purchased the extended warranty package.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 092013

Escape 4-cyl

Driving on interstate, when car suddenly stopped. Could not accelerate. Coasted to shoulder of highway. Attempted to drive again and a few minutes later, the car stalled again. Called tow truck and had vehicle towed to nearest Ford dealer. Problem identified as failure of throttle body. Had to have replaced.

- Lutz, FL, USA

Aug 172013

I was driving home and as I coasted to stop at a red light my truck started bouncing. The RPM dropped below 500 and the vehicle shut off. I put it in park and restarted and gave it some gas and it was fine until I made a right turn down a residential street and again killed itself. I had to repeat this till I got home.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Aug 132013

Escape 4-cyl

I was on my way to work and was luckily on a frontage road when suddenly my 2009 Escape wouldn't accelerate. I pushed on the gas pedal, but nothing happened. Luckily I was able to coast down the hill and turn off onto a side road. The wrench symbol lit up and my car sputtered and shook. I said a prayer, waited a few minutes, started the car again, and was able to drive. I drove it about a mile down side streets to try and get it to my mechanic, but it did the same thing again and the check engine light came on. I said another prayer, started the car, turned off the A/C and was able to make it to my mechanic w/out further incident. They said that it could possibly be a few different things and since the parts are expensive, they didn't want to replace the part and not have that fix the issue, so I had to call a tow truck ($75) and have it towed to the closest Ford dealership. I didn't dare try to drive it to the dealership for fear that it would die on the way there and since the dealership is located off of highway 75 in mckinney, I couldn't risk it dying on such a busy highway w/ my daughter in the car with me. The dealership called and said it's an issue w/ the electronic throttle body. My car only has a little over 58,000 miles on it. As a single divorced mom who is struggling to make ends meet, it makes me very upset that I have to spend my hard earned money ($674) on fixing something that is obviously an ongoing issue w/ this make and model. This is completely unacceptable to not have a reliable vehicle when this is a known problem. I am not a happy customer. I shouldn't have to rely on luck and have to worry and stress every time I drive my car that it will die on me. Ford needs to step up and do the right thing and get this issue fixed as part of a recall B/C it is obviously unsafe and lots of Ford Escape owners are experiencing the same thing.

- Allen, TX, USA

Aug 132013

Escape 6-cyl

I was merging off of an exit ramp. I slowed down so I can enter traffic, and then when I accelerated, the car hesitated/lagged before surging me forward. This problem occurs often and has almost caused an accident. Sometimes it will happen when I'm completely stopped and then accelerate, or going up a hill.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Aug 082012

I was driving on the NJ parkway when all of a sudden I had no gas peddle. I was doing 75 at time and truck started bucking was able to pull to side of road.. restarted it and went on my way. Since then I have stalled everyday to many to count.

- Point Pleasant, NJ, USA

Jun 232013

While driving at a set speed of 55 mile per hour I experienced a jerk in the power train. The engine caution light illuminated with a notable complete loss of the ability to maintain speed. The cruise control disengaged the accelerator pedal failed to provide any input. I had to immediately move the far right out of traffic. There was no shoulder to slow down on. I had to place the car in neutral in the rough and slowly apply break until I stopped the vehicle. I left the car running and applied axel keratin pedal. No response. I then placed the transmission park. Shut off the engine. On the first attempt the car started but the engine cranked for about 5 seconds before stating. I placed the transmission in drive and when it was safe to renter traffic heading toward my destination. A few miles later the same thing occurred this time the car had another light illuminate along with the engine light. An open ended wrench.

- Wadesville, IN, USA

Aug 092013

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph the vehicle would not respond when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The wrench light illuminated indicating a power train or a throttle failure. The contact stopped the vehicle on the shoulder of the road and turned it off. After restarting the vehicle, the contact was able to drive without failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Jul 262013

Escape 6-cyl

Car did not die, basically jumped a bit and would not go over 2 or 3 mph as I pressed gas pedal- wrench check light came on- had to turn off and restart - this happened again 2 times yesterday 8/9/2013-- no accident as of yet but extremely dangerous.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Jul 272013

Escape 6-cyl

I am so stressed ! I was driving Saturday morning July 27, 2013, on rt 287 South in morris county. NJ. my husband and I were in the middle lane of this very busy highway when he stepped on the gas pedal to accelerate- our 2009 Ford Escape did not accelerate- it stalled out at 70 miles per hour. The wrench light lit up on the dashboard and we had to pray that we could coast over to the right lane and then to the shoulder while trucks were zooming by. We called aaa for a tow to the local garage. At local garage, vehicle was kept for 9 days, test driving it, but had no incidents because wrench light never went back on. Was advised to contact Ford where I purchased vehicle.I called Ford.they could not see me for another week. I drove vehicle doing errands- 2 days later at a traffic light, I was making a left turn- truck sputters and dies upon acceleration. Wrench light goes on again. I now have to coast to the side of a busy main road and coast into an exit only shopping center, praying I do not have a head on collision. I spoke to friend who advised me to come to this web site. Lo and behold- over 350 complaints describing the same experience I had! this was clearly a defect in the model. I called Ford again, begging for an earlier appointment and was told that if I wanted to rent a car at my expense I could come in. They were out of loners! ( a car dealer-really? ) I waited for appointment, meanwhile check engine light goes on permanently 2 days later. Now I am petrified to drive my vehicle with the fear it is going to drop dead ! showed all info from this site to Ford and was told that this was not included in warranty or a recall. It was the throttle body - it cost me $567.10 for part and labor plus tax = $606.80. I should not have to pay for this- very dangerous situation with this part faulting out! and was told there is no recall at this time. I am angry!

- Boonton, NJ, USA

Aug 062013

Escape 4-cyl

As we were driving down the road the car jerked and when I pressed the gas I wasn't gettin any at all so I pulled over to the side of the road and finally came to a stop. Tried pressing the gas and nothing. Shut the car off for a few minutes started it back up and it was normal again. Just not very happy because we are financing from a use lot and have only had it for 8 months.

- Naples, FL, USA

Aug 042013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the motor lost all throttle response and had to coast to a stop. Was diag as a bad throttle body.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Jul 312013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle jerked and then I started slowing down. I tried to accelerate but my vehicle continued slowing down. I pulled to the side of road & put vehicle in park, turned off the engine and restarted and was able to continue to my destination. It happened again on Aug. 2nd, 3rd and 5th, 2013. When it happened on Aug. 5th I was a block from home and the engine light came on that time. I turned the vehicle off and started it again & the engine light stayed on so I turned around and went home & parked it. I called my local Ford dealership & they picked it up and replaced the throttle body.

- Bainbridge, GA, USA

Mar 062012

Escape 6-cyl

When the gas pedal is pushed there seems to be no gas going in there.the a motor actually goes from a normal sounding engine and it sounds like it drops down to a lower gear when this happens and I have to coast to park safely. Then I have to wait a half hour to start the vehicle up again and sometimes it will just conked out again. Now what its doing its getting it got worse and now I can only go maybe 5 minutes and it conk out again.

- Manchester, NJ, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on a main highway on vacation out of state the Ford Escape slowed and would not accelerate to keep up with traffic. "wrench light" light on dash illuminated. It continued to run slowly and we pulled off to the side of the highway. Car restarted and ran normally over 100 miles to final destination. Local repair shop detected no "codes" but suggested a Ford dealer examine based upon history. Dealer confirmed computer issue with throttle body faults caused stall and replaced part. Total costs approx $300. No recurrence of stalls on highway.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Jul 292013

Escape 6-cyl

Came off freeway on multiple occasions after doing 70 mph. Stopped. Traffic was clear. Went to accelerate and severe hesitation. Have also had many times where accelerating with vehicle and it will hesitate and then surge.

- Hartland, WI, USA

Jun 132013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on I-55 my vehicle just stopped and wrench light came on. Luckily I was able to coast to the shoulder of the road, from the middle lane, as traffic was light at that moment. Turned my vehicle off and was then able to restart it. This happened at least 6 more times while waiting the 6 weeks for the parts to come in and get them installed. During this long waiting period (for the new part) I asked if that part could just be taken from a new Escape at the dealership. Was told "no, because that part may also be defective." Hmmmm.

- Shoerwood, IL, USA

Jun 132013

Escape 4-cyl

After use and park, the Escape 2009 4 cyl. Do not start. Several times in between weeks with this trouble. Several hours later, start as nothing occur. In an electronic diagnostic, sent a code: 1260 and 1681. Starter is good and electronic ignition was recently changed thinking will stop the incidents but without resolving the issue. When the vehicle do the trouble, the antitheft icon keep blinking in the key on position. I changed the main key for the copy and keep doing the trouble.

- Toa Baja, PR, USA

Jul 252013

Driving vehicle approx. 50 mph on a clear day, approx 105 degrees in las vegas nv, the RPM's suddenly went "limp" around 900 even though the gas peddle was fully depressed. Appearance of a wrench light and check engine light noted. Hazard lights were engaged and the vehicle was successfully pulled to the side of the road, turned off, and restarted. Ran fine like nothing happened for about a mile and a half. Same issue. Repeat troubleshooting. Incident continued to happen for 4 more days consistently. Taken into Ford dealership for diagnostic and repair. Mechanic contacted me after diagnostic and informed that the code for the throttle body was in error. Replaced the faulty part( I kept it at my request due to the possible investigation into the matter) and the vehicle now runs fine. Thank goodness the issue did not occur in a busy intersection where an accident could have potentially endangered anyone.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jul 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle moving at constant 45 mph when engine stumble felt, electronic throttle control/powertrain light illuminated and lost all ability to control vehicle speed with accelerator pedal. Engine was still running and vehicle was able to be safely pulled off the main road. After turning vehicle off and then back on, the light went out and all systems were again ok. Problem was traced to the electronic throttle control (throttle body) and fix requires replacement of the part.

- N. Chesterfield, VA, USA