2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Nov 162016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 70 mph on a highway, the vehicle drastically decelerated to below 40 mph. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle continued to lose power. The contact coasted off the road and restarted the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Claremont, CA, USA

Sep 292016

Escape

This happens in all conditions. Engine will lose power and start stuttering like it is missing. Exhaust will stink and darken enough so that it is visible. Accelerator will not work as normal. Vehicle will eventually stall as service light comes on. Fuel pump replaced twice in 2 days. Mechanics find no codes stored. Throttle body replaced under Ford customer service program. It reoccurred the next day. This needs to be recalled and fixed. The vehicle will slow and stall suddenly and is a safety issue.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Sep 012014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stopped accelerating. The failure occurred when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the throttle body was replaced as part of a manufacturer customer satisfaction program. Approximately two years later, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- London, WV, USA

Sep 262016

Escape

While driving around 40 miles per hour on our way to dinner, the car lost all power. We pulled to the side of the road because pressing the gas pedal had no effect whatsoever (steering and the brakes worked). We turned the car off, waited a minute, then turned the car back on. It restarted with some difficulty, but then we were able to resume driving. While driving at speeds of 30-40 miles per hour, the same event happened 3 more times on the way to dinner. The same issue occurred 2 more times as we drove home from dinner. This was the first day we experienced a problem, but the problem was severe and we were driving during rush hour traffic. I considered the car extremely unsafe to drive and took it in for service the next day. Ford confirmed the throttle body needed replacing.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Sep 012016

Escape

My 2009 Ford Escape is stalling when I come to a stop. It is happening regularly and becoming a considerable safety issue.

- Columbus, MS, USA

Oct 012015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving, the vehicle experienced a loss of power steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering sensor and steering column had to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the onboard diagnostic warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle experienced a loss of power. The dealer stated that the mass air index was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. In addition, the maintenance warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle experienced a loss of power. The vehicle was repaired, but the ABS, low tire pressure, traction control, and parking warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to be diagnosed or repaired again. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 169,000. Updated 10/18/16

- Supply, NC, USA

Jul 262016

Escape

Stopped at a stop light at a highway intersection with an interstate off ramp on July 26, 2016. Noticed that the engine had stopped/shutoff on its own. Put the transmission in park and it restarted as normal and continued on with no further problem. There was no engine light or clue as to what happened. Seems to be related to other complaints on internet re throttle body or cam or crankshaft position sensors.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 242016

Escape 4-cyl

Please see this clip on youtube that explains our issue. Https://www.youtube.com/watch"V=ucusqj3-evk my vehicle, without warning will lose power and the wrench light appears. Same thing, mechanic has no clue. Why can't Ford figure this out. It's dangerous. My wife has stalled several times in traffic. What can be done" thank you!

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Jul 152016

Escape

On several occasions, either while stopped or during acceleration after a stop the engine stalls. Sometimes on city streets and twice on a freeway onramp waiting for the metering light. The dealer has said on numerous occasions that they can't "reproduce" the problem so there is nothing they can do.

- Guerneville, CA, USA

Jun 282016

Escape

Takata recall while driving on the highway at 60 mph, my 09 Ford Escape completely slowed down on me. I pushed on the gas to make the car speed back up but was unable to. I went from 60 to 30 mph in a very short amount of time. I was luckily coming up to a speed zone of 45 mph, but I coasted until I was able to turn off the highway. I came to a complete stop and my RPM continued going up and down. I eventually turned off the vehicle and let it sit for a minute. I then turned it back on and drove under 45 mph the rest of the way home. It was very scary as I had my two children in the car.

- Halstead, KS, USA

Jun 032016

Escape

Car lost power and was only able to chug home. Not able to drive up hill. Car was driving at about 40 mph when suddenly lost throttle response a check of engine code shows throtle closed

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

May 102016

Escape

Just driving normally and car stalls out--supposedly a failed throttle body.

- Davie, FL, USA

May 052016

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle suddenly shut off without warning. After restarting the engine, the vehicle operated normally. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Jul 012015

Escape

Vehicle stalled and went into "limp-home" mode after accelerating from a stopped condition.("limp-home" mode is a mode programmed by Ford engineers to only allow the vehicle to move forward under limited power, generally only 1-2 mph.) I later found out that this was due to a faulty electronic throttle body. The vehicle then stalled an additional two times about two weeks apart from the first incident. I was able to use my own obd II code scanner to detect the error code P2111. I found out that this component was determined to be faulty and Ford Motor Corporation issued an extended warranty coverage for this component. However, Ford will only replace this part if they are able to document the error code themselves on their code scanner. The problem lies in the design of this vehicle in that it won't store this particular code. When the vehicle stalls, the only course of action is to turn off the ignition and turn it back on in hopes of resetting the trhottle body. This works but it cancels the error code. The driver is forced to employ this technique to continue their travel or faced with the option of waiting for Ford to come and scan for the code themselves. If this happens after normal work hours, this of course is not an option. The fact that this error code erases itself in an attempt to get the vehicle moving again is a catch 22 situation and one that Ford should correct. I was forced to purchase my own replacement throttle body since Ford would not replace it.

- Centertown, MO, USA

Jun 162015

Escape

I was driving to work and going around a winding part of the road. I was coasting due to the multiple consecutive turns when my car shut off while going approximately 20 mph. Luckily traffic was light and I was able to shift into neutral and restart my car while coasting. Since this event it has happened approximately 30 times, always around low or idle speeds and more often after running longer. I purchased this car second hand in March of 2015. I have never had such a frustrating problem or unsafe feeling with or while driving a vehicle.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Jun 172015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Lost power while driving in the middle lane on rt. 17 South near ramsey NJ. Engine was still on but RPM`S was very erratic. Wrench warning light came on the check engine light came on. Issues with electronic throttle noted on web sites for Ford Escape models. Updated 10/01/15

- Nutley, NJ, USA

Jun 142015

Escape

Was accelerating from a stop and the engine stalled. This is the second time this has happened in the last 2 months. Throttle body had been replaced a couple of years ago, so concerned this is a different issue.

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

May 062015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at low speed, the engine separated from the cradle causing damage to the front axle. The vehicle was taken to the local mechanic for inspection, which located the engine bolts failed due to defective material. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 71,000.

- Elkton , MD, USA

Apr 082015

Escape

The check engine light came on; manual did not have cautionary information. Further upon checking, there was a technical service bulletin(tsb) issued by Ford #-09-13-83. Faulty premature failing parts on multiple Ford models including Ford Escape, Mercury mariner, Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan. What occurs is variable cam timing solenoids (2) fail causing the service engine light to go on. This could result in catastrophic engine failure as these parts control the timing of the motor. Ford acknowledges that there is a problem but is not issuing a re-call nor giving any compensation to customers requiring this repair. Based on discussions with various dealer maintenance departments and forum on the inter-net, this is a much more wide spread issue that Ford is willing to acknowledge.

- Chapin, SC, USA

Mar 092015

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving home on a 6 lane highway yesterday after work. Posted speed limit 65 mph. My cruise control was set at 65, I was in a center lane when my vehicle made a loud clunk and the cruise control cut off and I started losing power to the car.the engine was on but pushing the gas pedal did nothing. I was trying to get out of traffic to the side of the highway with cars speeding and swerving all around me. I was petrified. I called the dealer and the car was taken for service today. They told me it was the throttle body and motor and it was on an extended warranty so I did not have to pay for it. The receipt clearly states this is recall notice 13N03. I have now read about this online and you guys are letting Ford call this a "customer service satisfaction program". well, you should know that someone is going to be killed. There is no excuse for not notifying customers of a default with a vehicle that endangers people. I never received a recall letter and I could of died yesterday.

- Ponte Vedra, FL, USA