2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 14)

Sep 302016

Escape

Intended to park car in front of garage. Vehicle suddenly sped up uncontrollably, driver applied bakes and turned sharply yet the vehicle hit the garage structure causing damage to the vehicle and the house.

- Corrales, Nm, NM, USA

Sep 012014

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stopped accelerating. The failure occurred when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the throttle body was replaced as part of a manufacturer customer satisfaction program. Approximately two years later, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- London, WV, USA

Jul 012016

Escape

Apple valley Ford has done their best to work with me. However, Ford's extended warranty on the throttle senser is extremely dangerous. It requires an extremely long wait for approved diagnostics, which is known to clear out of memory when the car is turned off. Usually ending in a no. I have been in near death situations because of it over ten times. Today alone, the wrench and fix engine soon lights were on. I pull out of my neighbor onto a highway to stall horizontal across both lanes!!!! and more life threatening events as I cancel today's events and drive directly to the dealership again! I plan to post all my life threatening events of today on facebook. Should I be killed because of this, my loved ones can sue Ford and they might then "comprehend" the severity of this issue and the fact they won't back it up! I have not had any problems with my Ford but this. Do to the extremely dangerous issue, it will be my last Ford. Time to go with a car company that cares about safety.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Aug 092016

Escape

Ford esacape throttle body I own a 2009 Ford Escape and was issued a recall for throttle body. I took my car to dealership and they replaced under warranty. 10 months later my car has the same problem with throttle body. It slows down to a crawl at a moments notice. I am a cath lab tech for a local hospital and was called in the middle of the night. While driving to hospital my wrench and engine light went on suddenly and my car slowed down to a crawl. I kept my foot on gas because I have to get to hospital. I am on a heart team and it is critical. Thankfully it was midnight because there were no other cars on the road. But it could have happened during the day with my kids in the car. I felt confident that my car was repaired with recall but now 10 months later it happens again. Called dealership and Ford service and was told they will not warranty. I have gone over the mileage amount for them to warranty. But what they fail to acknowledge is the elephant in the room. Something is wrong with the throttle body component for Escape. There is no reason to justify why this would recur less than a year later. I just know I am not the only one. And feel as a company they should address this major safety concern.

- Billings, MO, USA

Aug 042016

P2111 error throttle actuater stuck open

- South Shore, KY, USA

Nov 232015

Escape

My 2009 Ford Escape has difficulty getting enough momentum to accelerate on the highway, this is a daily struggle. Yesterday I was trying to pass an 18-wheeler as it was drifting into my lane; as I eagerly pressed on the gas my car jumped and continued to coast at the same speed. Earlier this month, I had to decelerate from 40 mph to a fairly abrupt stop and my car was unable to. I just had my brake pads replaced so I knew that wasn't the problem, my car jolted a total of 7 times before coming to a complete stop. I almost crashed into the car in front of me. Every time I drive my car it sounds like its going to fall apart, the rattling coming from the suspension is constant. I get my Ford Escape checked up every month, because of all the problems I have. This car is a hazard to my safety, and I do not feel comfortable driving in this rolling plastic death trap. It's infuriating that the government claims a defective electronic throttle body to be not harmful enough to have a recall. I could have died from in both instances which I specified in this complaint, something needs to be done about this.

- Oxford, MS, USA

Nov 112015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the accelerator pedal became stuck causing vehicle to accelerate. The contact indicated that the speed increased to over 65 mph. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Sep 112015

Escape

When starting from a stopped position the car will stall out when trying to press the gas to go. The code came up as P2112 when I have had it checked.

- Lawrence, KS, USA

Aug 142015

Escape

Probleme come in the morning after a small run to corner store. 2 monts before fore update de trottle software. For the recal.

- Brossard, AL, USA

Aug 012015

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle intermittently accelerated without the accelerator pedal being depressed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jun 162015

Escape

I was driving to work and going around a winding part of the road. I was coasting due to the multiple consecutive turns when my car shut off while going approximately 20 mph. Luckily traffic was light and I was able to shift into neutral and restart my car while coasting. Since this event it has happened approximately 30 times, always around low or idle speeds and more often after running longer. I purchased this car second hand in March of 2015. I have never had such a frustrating problem or unsafe feeling with or while driving a vehicle.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Jul 022015

Escape

Vehicle surged then stalled, with absolutely no response when pressing on the accelerator. The vehicle stuttered until we came to a complete stop and shut the vehicle off. Vehicle started and operated without incident until July 7, when it displayed the same issue (this time, the vehicle stalled on the highway while cruising at a constant speed, which presented a dangerous situation). When calling the local Ford dealership, they indicate that they would have to inspect the vehicle, but that they may not replace or repair anything. Very unsatisfactory response considering that there may have been an accident due to the faultiness of their vehicle.

- El Paso, TX, USA

May 282015

Escape

Driving to work which is about 2 miles from where I am located at. My car suddenly loses power, the radio is still working, A/C is still working as well as the engine but I was not getting no acceleration at all and to top it all off, my steering wheel locked on me and 3 lights on the dashboard illuminated: Wrench light, oil and engine light. I got the engine light fixed the other week as well as an oil change several weeks back and the wrench was the first for me. I done some research and I see that I am not the only customer with a Ford Escape with this problem. I called different mechanics, some say its the alternator or it could be the throttle body, but either way I am screwed because Ford charges an arm and a leg to fix the problem, but does not refund you if the problem continues to persist. I called my local Ford dealership in ft. Myers, fl and they told me to make an appointment and pay a $100 for a diagnostic too see what the problem could be, my issue is that I am afraid that I can not even make it to the dealership and I end up in an accident or I pay a $100 for them too tell me that there is nothing wrong with my car(something Ford is known for). I hope something is getting done with this problem, if not Ford is going to lose its customers and if so I am going to switch over to Dodge.

- Ft. Myers, FL, USA

Apr 272015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Started accelerating as I was approaching the freeway entrance, suddenly lost power. Pushed down on gas pedal and felt no response in acceleration. Turned on hazards and crossed two lanes of traffic to get to the side of the road. As I stopped to put the car in park, the car seemed jerky like it was about to stall. Put the car in park, tuned off the engine. Restarted the car, it didn't fire up right away as it usually does, however it did start. Put the car in drive and drove home without further incident that day.

- Marysville, WA, USA

Mar 092015

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving home on a 6 lane highway yesterday after work. Posted speed limit 65 mph. My cruise control was set at 65, I was in a center lane when my vehicle made a loud clunk and the cruise control cut off and I started losing power to the car.the engine was on but pushing the gas pedal did nothing. I was trying to get out of traffic to the side of the highway with cars speeding and swerving all around me. I was petrified. I called the dealer and the car was taken for service today. They told me it was the throttle body and motor and it was on an extended warranty so I did not have to pay for it. The receipt clearly states this is recall notice 13N03. I have now read about this online and you guys are letting Ford call this a "customer service satisfaction program". well, you should know that someone is going to be killed. There is no excuse for not notifying customers of a default with a vehicle that endangers people. I never received a recall letter and I could of died yesterday.

- Ponte Vedra, FL, USA

Sep 012014

Escape 6-cyl

My vehicle stalled and came to a complete stop from normal driving speeds. It continued to drive at about 5mph and then the little green wrench light came on the instrument panel. When turned off and re-started, the car ran fine for the trip home. This problem continues to occur; sometimes it won't happen for a week or so, sometimes it happens multiple times a day. I believe it to be an issue with the throttle body but the Ford dealership will not replace it under consumer satisfaction program 13N03 because the computer reads no error code. They, instead, suggest it might be an issue with the transmission... but these are not typical 'symptoms' for a transmission issue and several other owners have reported this exact problem when a faulty throttle body is present. I have contacted Ford customer service and hope to have this issue resolved asap as it will happen regardless of whether I am going 10, 40, or 70mph and is incredibly dangerous!

- Moore, SC, USA

Feb 172014

Escape 4-cyl

Throttle body emissions sensor. Eec test codes for throttle position sensors a & B. check engine light started to come on and go off periodically. Had is checked out at multiple places over the next year and now is over 80,000 and Ford refuses to cover under warranty.

- Maumee, OH, USA

Jan 082015

Escape 6-cyl

My car will surge forward when I accelerate after a stop.

- Mount Gilead, OH, USA

Mar 132012

Escape

Was entering highway, attempting to merge. Attempted to accelerate and it stalled. We were approximately 115 miles from home, and it attempted to stall twice on the way home. Took it to local dealer, they tried to diagnose the problem with no luck, kept it overnight to drive it the next day in hopes it would duplicate the issue, but, it didn't. since then, it has done it, probably, twice a year. Sometimes it will do it on the interstate, and, sometimes in town. We now have 36000 miles on it.

- Rolla, MO, USA

Nov 072014

Escape

Entering a parking space in a grocery store lot. When I applied the brakes it seemed I got a simutaneus engine acceleration and the car surged forward hitting the facing car.

- Divide, CO, USA