2009 Ford Escape engine problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 14)

Oct 062014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Slowing to stop at stop light in line of traffic on 10/6/2014, light turned green, traffic moving, attempted to accelerate, found car unable to do so, looked at dash, some lights were on (remember battery light, check engine light and possible oil light), but as I was in traffic, I was in a bit of a panic, I put car in park and turned key. Car started up and was able to run normally. On 10/10/14 in traffic driving at 25 miles an hour slowing to adjust to traffic, as accelerator is pressed to maintain this speed and keep up with traffic, car does not accelerate as gas is pressed, look down at dash, lights are on, remember battery light, check engine light, another one, possible oil, I was able to steer car off road into parking lot. Stopped car, put in park restarted and again was able to run normally. **this same thing happened about a year ago, was slowly driving into the driveway at work, and the car just wouldn't go.... I stopped, put it in park and restarted it, and have not had this problem again until now. At that time, I had the battery checked and battery was fine. As I do not have the date or mileage I can not report it in boxes above but feel it is noteworthy.

- York New Salem, PA, USA

Sep 242014

Vehicle has had issues with the dashboard gauges locking up while driving, took to Ford dealership and they could not identify cause of issue. If I hit the dash it gauges would start to work again. When gauges were not working, A/C would stop working as well. Most concerning is the last two days my car has stopped accelerating while driving it, I can put the gas all the way to the floor and it still won't accelerate. During that time A/C stops blowing cool air and if I apply my brakes the entire car will start to shake as if it is going to die. I turn off the car and restart it and it runs fine, however it does take a sec longer to turn over when I start it at that point. I am taking it to have it looked at today. I have had multiple repairs to this vehicle pertaining to the sensors.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Sep 052014

At 35 mph and for no apparent reason, engine started sputtering and did not respond to pressing on gas pedal. In less than one minute the engine quit running altogether. I turned off ignition key and waited a few seconds and tried restarting the engine. It restarted and ran properly afterwards. Called local Ford dealer and described problem and they said it was a problem with the electronic throttle body - about an $800 repair. Went on line to research problem and found out there are tens of thousands of complaints about this problem yet Ford has done and is doing nothing about it. My '09 Escape has only a little over 36,000 miles on it. Luckily I wasn't pulling out into or driving in heavy traffic when this thing went out. I hope Ford doesn't wait until someone gets seriously injured or worse before they correct & recall vehicles for this problem. Ford says you have enough "power" left to get over to safety but you really don't.

- Villa Hills, KY, USA

Sep 042014

Escape 4-cyl

Throttle body assembly shorted out internally, scan had code P2112. Engine had no power it stayed at idle while driving at 45 mph immediately slowed down to 2 mph.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Aug 132014

Escape 4-cyl

My vehicle lost all acceleration while driving at 40mph, the wrench light came on. Pulled over and powered off vehicle and powered it back on (had slight trouble turning over) continued on my way, the vehicle ended up loosing acceleration three times while driving home, was on the busy highway doing 55mpg at one point when all acceleration was lost again. When I explained the problem to Ford they didn't know what was the problem, they ended up replacing the throttle body, but why wasn't this a mandatory recall when accidents could have occurred from loss of acceleration.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Jul 102014

Escape 6-cyl

There is a known throttle body issue with the Ford Escape 2009, where the truck goes into "limp mode" indicated by an illuminated wrench. I had just taken it in for this issue, Ford only did the recalibration and did not replace the defective throttle body. The next day while in the parking lot at my work, the vehicle went into "wrench mode" or "enhanced limp mode (since the recalibration)" and lurched into a cement pillar causing severe damage to the front right side of my vehicle. Damage was ~$5K, rental car $500, deductible $100, higher insurance, structural damage to the vehicle (permanent loss of value).

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jul 212011

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while the brakes were applied, the vehicle accelerated independently without warning. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but the vehicle was unable to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Howell , MI, USA

May 082014

My family were returning from vacation when the car decelerated with no warning. We were on the interstate and we were inches from being rear ended by the upcoming traffic. I have been told the issue is with the throttle body and that it is not being recalled because you can still drive it. How about you tell that to my terrified girls (ages 6 and under) that it is safe to have cars and trucks flying past you at 70 mph and you can't accelerate to move out of the way quick enough. A month later, the same thing happened to my wife returning from work. That's twice in 2 months. We have only the one car and have not been on vacation for fear of the car decelerating. I guess instead of being in the business of preventing accidents, people have to die first before anything will be done to protect consumers.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Jun 142014

Escape 4-cyl

While driving down the road at 45 mph the car lost power and began to coast to a stop even with the gas peddle to the floor.

- Frederick , MD, USA

Aug 242013

Was accelerating when the vehicle seemed to shut off. Vehicle restarted and about a month later did it again pulling away from an intersection. Dealer confirmed it was a faulty throttle body and charged 100 dollars to fix.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Jun 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving then felt "back fire" then the wrench light and check engine light came on and I couldn't accelerate at all. Never lost control just hit brakes to turn on road and pull over. Turned off car and restarted it and revved the engine. Went another mile and it did the same thing again. Took it to a local mechanic to have it checked out because I thought maybe I had gotten bad gas but was told it was the throttle body. Taking it too dealership Friday June 6th.

- Hutchinson, KS, USA

May 222014

Escape 6-cyl

Seems to accelerate unpredictably when turning. No incidents yet, but concerning. Also, my mechanic says the steering motor is leaking. My Ford was made in Missouri. I do not know if this related to the recall of Escapes made in Kansas.

- Ludington, MI, USA

May 202014

Had car set on cruise control, felt a pop or a snap under car, looked down and cruise went off and I was coasting, I had my foot in the gas and the RPM's were at 1000, gas was not revving and the RPM's didn't move, coasted to side of road. The engine sputtered as if it was going to shut off, but it didn't. I shut the car off and restarted it and it was fine, until 3 days later when it happened again. Have taken it to a Ford dealer 3 times and they claim that it is not tripping a code and that they can't replace the throttle body until they have a code. I don't know what else to do, I have been driving a loaner car since last Friday and they still haven't been able to recreate the incident.

- Murray, KY, USA

Aug 202013

Escape 6-cyl

1st time driving down street wrench light came on, truck lost power. Had truck towed through research new it was throttle body. Two days later truck started, while driving on highway wrench light came on lost power again.truck stopped working in a construction zone. Took truck directly to Ford service. They were closed. They looked at truck next day. I had a complete tune up at a different repair shop at $100,000. Had all fluids changed and spark plugs. Ford service called, and told me it needed all that done, that it was not throttle body. After I told them I already had all that done, they stuttered and said they would call me back. They called back said it probably was throttle body and gave me a large estimate. I chose to pick up truck. Paid $128. Received letter you wrote about from Ford regarding throttle body. Called Ford. They said they will only replace it if the code shows up when I bring it in, if it doesn't I will have to pay out of pocket. I am upset because I already brought it in with that exact problem. Please advise what I should do now. Thank you.

- Seville, OH, USA

May 112014

Escape 6-cyl

The throttle body became stuck during travel on a busy highway. My car lost all power to accelerate until car could be stopped and the ignition killed.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Apr 232014

Escape 6-cyl

For the past 2 months my 2009 Ford Escape XLT has been jumping and shifting roughly, I thought it was transmission related despite that I flushed my transmission a little over 1 year ago. On 04/24/14 I was driving 60 mph cruise control on the highway and the cruise control cut off and my 2009 Ford Escape XLT began to lose speed, I notice when the 18-wheeler behind me was approaching my bumper rapidly, nearly rear ended me - had to coast 2 lanes over to get to on coming exit to avoid rear ending due to heavy traffic. My SUV would not re-start until the throttle control/powertrain light cut off however the engine light remains on. I had to coast lanes of a busy highway with 8 am traffic to the exit ramp and stopped in the middle of the street and was stranded until my SUV started again.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 012014

Escape 4-cyl

While coming to a stop at a major intersection with a car in front of me, my 2009 Ford Escape suddenly accelerated and would not stop, despite my frantic efforts to brake the car; I swerved to my right, went through 6 inches of snow on grass curb and then went up a 5 ft. Ice bank, where my wheels jammed in the ice and I stopped, sitting at nearly a 45 degree angle, 5 ft. Above the road. My front bumper was mangled in the ice bank and my passenger-side mirror was broken off by a stop sign. If not for the snow bank, I would have continued into the very busy intersection, where I and other drivers would have undoubtedly been injured or killed. I want to emphasize that despite hitting the brake, the car with unintended acceleration problem, did not stop, it kept going until hitting the snow-ice bank.

- Wayne, PA, USA

Sep 302011

Escape 6-cyl

I first purchased this vehicle in Sep 2010. The problem was when I was stopped or made a turn coasting slowly, when I attempted to accelerate the engine did not kick in for a second or two. When it did it jerked hard and felt like it slammed into gear. The dealer could never id the problem and put it off as normal. Then very recently I have had the vehicle not respond to the gas pedal. It keeps the RPM's at an idling level but does not respond to the accelerator pedal-like you put it in neutral. This has happened twice now. When I shut the engine off and restart it appears to self correct. This happens while I'm driving slowly once and again when I was at a stop and tried to accelerate. I have not yet taken to a dealer yet.

- Ojai, CA, USA

Mar 042014

Escape 4-cyl

Car lost power. Pulled off to side of road, engine would idle only. Throttle body had gone bad.

- Winstonsalem, NC, USA

Jan 302014

Accelerating from a traffic stop. Taking a right turn, car rumbled and could not accelerate. Car went from 5mph and drop down to 3mph, the wrench light went on. Stopped at side of road and engine still running. Drove a little more and engine still rumbling and would not accelerate.

- Honolulu, HI, USA