2009 Ford Escape fuel system problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Sep 222013

Escape

After waiting at a red light, my vehicle travelled about 100 yards. The engine shuttered, accelerator pedal was unresponsive, and the engine rpms dropped to 900. I pulled to the side of the road and turned off the car then restarted it. Everything was fine, except for my confidence, for the next 6 miles. While driving 45 mph, the engine shuttered, wrench light and check engine light illuminated, and rpms immediately dropped. Same unresponsive accelerator pedal. I then put the car in neutral and coasted to a side road. I turned the car off and waited a couple of minutes, enough time to call my wife and let her know to be ready to come pick me up if my car wouldn't make it home. I restarted the car and 7 miles later I was home with no problems. I have not been to a mechanic or called Ford or anything of that nature as this has just occurred within the last couple of hours.

- Johns Island, SC, USA

Aug 312013

Escape

While exiting a parking lot at low speed, the vehicle shut down completely. The vehicle was restarted a few minutes later with no apparent problems. The dealer diagnosed a faulty throttle body and replaced the part.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Sep 022013

Escape

Car started shuttering while maintaining a constant speed. Car was taken to the dealership and I was told that it was not covered under warranty, throttle body was the problem and the part was replaced.

- Bethel Park, PA, USA

Aug 242013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While driving the 2009 Ford Escape down highway, experienced a brief lurch then complete and immediate loss of throttle control. Engine speed decreased to approx. 1000 RPM making it impossible to continue driving and forcing an emergency stop on shoulder. While stopped on shoulder, engine was completely unresponsive to throttle, and remained roughly idling at 1K rpms. Shut off engine, and restarted the vehicle. After restarting, throttle control appeared to be working normally. There were no obvious symptoms immediately prior to the failure: Engine appeared to be running fine, and throttle control was working normally until the incident. The unexpected loss of throttle control and corresponding decrease in vehicle speed was disorienting, and could have easily resulted in an unsafe situation or accident if surrounding traffic were heavier or driver had panicked. Vehicle was diagnosed by dealer as having a "failing throttle body". codes retrieved were P2111 and P2135, and pinpoint tests showed that "the throttle actuator control motor is failing". throttle body assembly was replaced.

- Coon Valley, WI, USA

Jun 152012

Escape

When slowing down engine would stall at any speed. Slowly progressed into a hesitation from a red light. Sparatic idle after stopping. Wrench light would come on every time. Now check engine light and wrench light on together.

- Townsend , TN, USA

Aug 052013

Escape

Same as others, the engine keeps running but will not go do the throttle body actuator not opening.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Aug 152013

Escape

Vehicle stuck in the intersection waiting for a red light. Engine light kicked on. Error code P2111, throttle stuck. Would been in an accident if on highway. Ford needs to address this issue.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on a main highway on vacation out of state the Ford Escape slowed and would not accelerate to keep up with traffic. "wrench light" light on dash illuminated. It continued to run slowly and we pulled off to the side of the highway. Car restarted and ran normally over 100 miles to final destination. Local repair shop detected no "codes" but suggested a Ford dealer examine based upon history. Dealer confirmed computer issue with throttle body faults caused stall and replaced part. Total costs approx $300. No recurrence of stalls on highway.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Jul 252013

Escape

Driving about 55-60 mph down the highway my gas pedal stopped responding and my truck rapidly slowed down. I was able to maneuver to the shoulder & restart. This happened 4 times in the 7 miles to pick up my daughter (toddler son was with me). I had to go to the nearest service shop and almost $500 later its being fixed.

- Leland, NC, USA

Jul 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle died and check engine light came on. We ran the diagnostic and it indicated the fuel actuator was getting stuck. According to the Ford dealer, the throttle body needs to be replaced. It appears that many other owners of this vehicle have also had to have the throttle body replaced.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

I was just pulling away from a drive thru window when the "wrench" light came on, and the truck stopped moving forward as if it had been shifted into neutral, which it hadn't been. I turned off the vehicle and waited a few moments and restarted it and it was running fine, with no further lights being illuminated on the dash. This same problem happened again approx 3 weeks later, although this time I was going approx. 20 mph, having just accelerated from a stop sign. The wrench light came on, but this time the engine light also came on, and then the truck lost power. I turned the engine off, waited a few moments and restarted it. This time, however, the engine light did not go off, so I took it to an auto parts store to read the computer. They found diagnostic code P2111, throttle body stuck open. After a few hours of sitting in my parking lot at work, when I started the vehicle there were no lights illuminated on the dash, and per the dealer's service department, the computer had reset itself.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jul 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on highway at about 65 mph. Driving for about 30 min. When vehicle started to stutter and slow down. Pushing the accelerator and no response -RPM and speed dropping quickly. Almost run over by other vehicles on highway. Wrench light came on the dash panel. Car was pulled over to side of road and barely going at 900 RPM and ~ 2 mph. Needed to ha E car towed. This is a very dangerous issue that needs to be fixed immediately!

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Jul 042013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at various speeds, conditions, the wrench warning light appears and the car becomes limp and non responsive. Engine was running hard. Had to turn off vehicle and restart (which was difficult). This occurred again within minutes, this time with the check engine light coming on. Went directly to repair shop and had it checked. Was told that error code P2111 was being shown. The throttle body was cleaned and the gas pedal assembly was replaced. The next day, the same problems continued. I am scared to drive this car, especially with my children in it as I am worried it will die while pulling out in traffic or that someone will rear end us.

- Granger, IN, USA

Jul 132013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the car lost speed and rpms. Car would not accelerate. It ran at an idle. Dealership said throttle body needed to be replaced. The part has need on back order for some time.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Jun 292013

Escape

We were driving around a corner and all of a sudden the wrench light came on and the gas pedal would no longer work. No other lights came on, just the wrench light. I was able to pull off the road, fortunately, as the steering still worked. I turned the car off, restarted, and it ran fine the rest of the way home. Since that occurrence, I have had the engine die multiple times. This generally happens when I have pulled up to a red light signal. The car dies, and it is always right before the light turns green! you have to quickly put it in park, restart the engine, and then it runs fine. When it dies, the throttle will not function at all as it goes right to the floor. Since the first occurrence, it died while my wife was driving the vehicle also. Same scenario as mentioned above and also when stopped, the car throttle kind of surges, almost as if the car is going to die. When you apply gas, it jumps forward. I took it into the Ford dealer and after multiple visits they have determined that the throttle body needs to be replaced. I have a code reader and the code was P2111 and P2112 (error throttle actuator stuck). They first charged me for "cleaning" the throttle body assembly. Said I must have blown dust in it! also told me my 6-speed transmission has shift issues on hard acceleration....probably caused by them. Talked to parts dept and throttle body quote $200.83, when service advisor asked if I wanted them to replace it he quoted $240.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Jul 102013

Escape

Car surged then stalled on interstate 65mph. 2nd time at 40mph on county hwy. Throttle body bad-part on national backorder 2 week delay.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

Jul 072013

Escape

While driving up a hill, I let my foot off the gas and when I tried to press gas, my engine stalled and died. When hooked up to diagnostic to see why my SUV keeps dying when idle, the code was "P2112" throttle actuator control system stuck closed.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jul 032013

Escape 6-cyl

Car has throttle body issues which is now common - where is the recall?

- Spring, TX, USA

Jul 092013

Escape

Vehicle "jerked" and lost all throttle. Open ended wrench light came on in the instrument cluster. Luckily was able to coast into small service center who scanned the computer and it had the faulty P2111 code (throttle actuator control system stuck open). Code was cleared and car restarted. Died another 6 times on the way home, each time restarting after turning the key off. I see that this is currently under investigation and wanted to bring yet another instance to your attention. If this would of happened on the interstate or a large left hand turn lane during rush hour it wouldn't have been pretty.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jul 072013

Escape

While driving, the vehicle stopped accelerating, the check engine light came on and car began to idle. I turned it off and back on five minutes later and it accelerated for 1/4 of a mile before doing the same thing again. I turned it off and back on and drove it straight to my mechanic. After running diagnostics it was determined to be the throttle body as well as the processor.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA