2011 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 7 of 12)

Aug 232013

Escape

Was at the stop light, light turns green press the gas pedal car did not move I was almost rear ended by another vehicle. Wrench light was on dash board car start to putter would not accelerate. Coasted out of the middle of the street and then the transmission light was on dash board, had to get car towed home. Found out it was the throttle body and it is a defect from the manufacturer, but Ford will not replace the consumer is responsible for replacing and it has an out of pocket fee of $548 to get the problem fixed.this is very dangerous, I was lucky I am afraid to drive the truck do not want this to happen to me again. Ford should at least try and come up with some type of solution to this problem.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Jun 202013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden I could not gas my car. Traffic was heavy and I nearly caused two accidents trying to maneuver to the emergency lane. I an not able to drive my car far from home nor on a highway as it chooses to repay this at random.

- Desoto, TX, USA

Aug 232013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate @ 70 mph, I experienced a sudden loss of acceleration with a lack of throttle response and the illumination of a solid orange "wrench" symbol on the dash display. I was able to maneuver the vehicle to the break down lane and activate the emergency flashers. The vehicle was still running @ idle but still would not allow throttle response. I decided to shut off the engine since I was already stranded. Upon doing so, I restarted the vehicle and it performed the self-checks and seemed to be operating normally, so I resumed my journey. This occurred 7 more times within the remaining 40 miles I drove it (I was attempting to "nurse" the vehicle to my home, which was accomplished). During the last occurrence, I observed a solid yellow "engine" symbol in addition to the previously described "wrench" symbol. This is obviously an extremely dangerous issue which appears to be a wide spread problem and Ford Motor Co. Should stand up and take responsibility if it wishes to build it's repeat customer base and avoid responsibility for injuries or deaths.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Aug 212013

Escape 6-cyl

At first, while driving, the car would shut down and not respond to throttle movement, a huge safety issue in traffic. After pulling over and restarting the car, the problem seemed to go away for a while. The problem seemed to be intermittent the first few times. Finally the car shut down to an idle and would not respond to throttle movement and the wrench and engine lights came on. The car would only run limp mode. The odb codes read a P2111 and P2112 (throttle actuator control stuck open, and throttle actuator stuck closed) respectively. We had to tow the vehicle to the dealer. We were told that the entire throttle body had to be replaced at a cost of $666. The problem is that the part is unavailable for 2 weeks and maybe up to a month. We have 39000 miles on the vehicle, the warranty ran out at 36000. This issue is also not covered under the power train warranty. This seems to be a widespread issue and I am disappointed that Ford is unwilling to make this right and produce a recall.

- American Fork, UT, USA

Jul 132013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling along at 55 mph, the engine suddenly lost all power and started running rough. The "wrench" warning light identified in my owner's manual as "powertrain" lit up and the vehicle just would not respond to accelerator whatsoever. I managed to coast to a side road and exit to the right. Once stopped, I put it in park and restarted the engine. It immediately restarted and I was able to continue with no further problems that day. I contacted the dealer, but they informed me since it was out of warranty, there was a $95 charge to just check the codes! I took it to my regular mechanic who scanned it and no codes appeared. It has since happened 5 more times, progressively getting more frequent. This past Friday (16 Aug) I had it back at my mechanic who cleaned the throttle body/system and changed the oil. Yesterday (19 Aug) it again lost power and then again today - and today I narrowly avoided a collision due to the sudden drop in speed while driving in commuting traffic! I drive a significant amount daily to/from work and I am now extremely nervous about starting home after the incident this morning. This is most definitely a safety issue and Ford needs to address it immediately! I researched the problem online and there's a huge amount of other people with the same issue!!!!

- Roberta, GA, USA

Aug 042013

Escape

Vehicle shuts down or does not respond to accelerator. You turn it off wait a few minutes, start it again and it gets moving. Problem occurred twice in one day. 10 days later the problem re-emerged three times.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Escape 6-cyl

On four separate occasions, while accelerating the throttle gave out. The vehicle had no power to move forward, except what was left from the original speed. On one of theses occasions, I was on a major highway in the DC area when the throttle gave out. I turned on my hazards and pulled over. Thankfully the cars behind me had enough room not to crash into me. I then turned off the car. Once restarted, it seemed to stall a bit and then drove normally until the next incident. There have been 4 incidents within 5 days, all seeming to happen at random. The "wrench" flashes once the throttle goes out, but then doesn't appear once the car is back on and everything seems normal. Ford has given me problems, saying this falls outside my warranty and I may have to pay for the repair myself. They also wont see me for a week, when this merits immediate attention. I just bought this vehicle in March 2013, after this problem had already been reported by thousands of existing owners. Had I know about this problem, I would not have purchased this vehicle because it is so unsafe.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Escape

While driving at interstate speeds (65 mph), the vehicle just seemed to stop, but the engine was still running. I had just gone over a bridge and was able to coast down and pull off the side of the road. A yellow wrench was displayed in the instrument panel. I turned the vehicle off and removed the key. After waiting for a minute, I was able to start the vehicle and return home. This has happened three times now. I called the dealership who informed me that this was not covered by warranty and they have had several repairs related to this. So much that the technician knew the part number by heart and was able to provide a quote without doing any paperwork or even looking at the vehicle. I live on the coast where there are several bridges and tunnels. Had I chose to drive through the tunnel instead of taking the bridge, I have no doubt that this issue would have caused a very bad accident. There needs to be a recall on this and Ford needs to step up and fix the problem instead of making a killing off the unsuspecting consumer at the sum of over $400 a pop.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 202013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on an interstate at approximately 75 mph, when the engine of my 2011 Ford Escape seemingly shut down. The gas pedal stopped working. A small golden wrench icon lit up to the left of the RPM gauge. I pulled over and as I slowed, the car jerked. I turned the car off; took out the keys and waited a few minutes. The engine had a little extra trouble to restart; but it did within 30 seconds. Two days later, a diagnostics test at my Ford dealership showed the throttle body needed to be replaced; but I was told the part was on a national back order. The same incident repeatedly happened for a total of about 10 times, before the part was at the dealership and able to be replaced. The part was replaced more than two weeks after the diagnostics test and initial incident.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Aug 112013

Escape 6-cyl

Throttle control failed driving on interstate. We could have been killed. Same thing happened two weeks prior and dealer claimed it was fixed.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Aug 082013

Escape

While driving my 2011 Ford Escape suddenly lost all power (almost felt like a stall) and the wrench light on the dash was illuminated. I pulled to the side of the road, turned it off, and after turning the vehicle back on it operated as normal. This has happened three times over the past week.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Aug 082013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine suddenly reduces to high idle - throttle totally unresponsive. Turning engine off and restarting temporarily restores performance. I endorse the ongoing NHTSA investigation of this well known problem which is a severe safety threat as the vehicle unpredictably looses all power in the middle of other traffic.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Jul 112013

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford edge. The contact stated while attempting to accelerate, the transmission slipped and the vehicle jerked. The vehicle was placed in park and the traction sensor warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that after closing the driver's side door, the door ajar warning light remained illuminated. As a result, the overhead light stayed illuminated causing the battery to lose power. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 18,500. The current mileage was 19,000.

- Port Huron , MI, USA

Escape

Was driving along to my firefighter job when I felt my car loose power and noticed a wrench light come up on my dash. I attempted to accelerate however couldn't. I safely was able to pull off to side of the road where once I came to a stop the car jerked. I shut down my engine, waited a few mins then restarted the car to which car was running fine. I continued to work and started to research what problem can be and noticed many people have had same issue.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Mar 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Repeated incidents of two symptoms: 1) power surges when I'm hitting the gas to pull out or pass someone and car feels momentarily like it will jump forward. 2) power feels like it will stall and the car sort of just powers down. Until today that would just pass and the car would operate normally. Today (Aug. 11) I had to pull over as it would not go above 20 mph suddenly. It resumed normally after I turned the engine off and restarted in a few minutes.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Aug 092013

Escape 6-cyl

After only owning the vehicle for 2 weeks (purchased used) vehicle began to stall/loose power, and immediately slows. It does start back up, but then repeats the behavior.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Aug 072013

Escape 6-cyl

I was accelerating and the car then just stopped accelerating. It felt like the transmission had just let go, because the car would not speed up when I stepped on the gas pedal. When I tried to stop, the idle was very rough and the car wanted to jerk forward. Luckily, I was able to get the car stopped in a safe place. When I re-started the car, the ignition was turning over, but it took several seconds before it fired. I have since brought my car to the service shop, they told me it was a defective throttle body. They said that they have had to repair this on a number of occasions. The gentleman sitting next to me says that he had the same issue with a similar vehicle - same family of car.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Aug 072013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on an expressway around 35-40mph, vehicle experienced a sudden loss of power and went into limp mode (less than 1000rpm) with a wrench indicator illuminated on the dashboard. Pulled over, shut down vehicle and then restarted engine. Vehicle was driven home and taken to the dealership the next day. Ford diagnosed and is replacing the throttle body under powertrain warranty.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 012013

Escape

Throttle body stops to only idle upon accelerating or use of throttle from stop. Sometimes it will allow to accelerate up to 30 to 40 mph before it quits working upon throttle input from driver. So, it will only idle after accelerating half or part way through an intersection and you are at the mercy of incline or decline of road to hopefully coast to safety. It has done this while turning left while having to yield to oncoming traffic. It caused oncoming traffic to have to stop while I got stranded in middle of turn. Safety issue for sure.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 042013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving my 2011 Ford Escape on a crowded I-4 around orlando Florida when I completely lost power on my vehicle. I was able to safely pull off to the side of the road. As I brought the car to a stop (braking), the car jerked forward before stopping. I shut off the car, and sat for a few moments, wondering what to do. The dash showed a wrench symbol, so I checked the manual to see what it meant. It said something about a fault and the powertrain. I checked to see if the car would restart and it did. I continued to drive, and approximately 10-15 minutes later it did it again. This time the check engine light came on as well. I made it to my destination and called my husband. He checked the internet to see if anyone else had this problem and was shocked to see all the complaints about this. Thankfully, he read that if I stayed under 60 mph and didn't drive too long it shouldn't happen again. I took the back way home and although it was much longer I made it without a further problem. Why is this problem part(throttle valve) not recalled. And most importantly, and for safety reasons why aren't the owners of these 2011 Escape's made immediately aware of this hazard. This was the closest I came to a fatal accident and not necessarily my own.

- Ocala, FL, USA