2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 5 of 12)

Oct 012013

Escape 6-cyl

I was on the freeway on my 2011 Ford Escape the 4th lane when the car made a sudden noise of loss of power and my dashboard lights when dimmer...the power of my car was diminishing and it felt as if the car engine was going to die on me...scary...I felt my heart drop to my stomach...looked left and had cars coming on the contiguous lane so I could not move to the emergency lane/shoulder, looked right and fortunately no cars were coming immediately (my steering was still ok ) other cars were far away so I moved to my right 3 lanes and even though the car felt that it was going to stop I continued with the momentum it had. I was able to get off the freeway since there was an exit as I moved the 3 lanes. Very scary experience. The car sort of stalled at the corner but I was in a safe spot. I called the dealership immediately to ask for the roadside assistance number and the service department person asked me if I turned the car off would it start again? the car did start again as if nothing had happened. Really crazy! when the dealership checked it they diagnosed faulty throttle body, they fixed it apparently but now I am driving on the slow lane all the time unless I am passing because I have fears it might happen again. I lived a very scary situation.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 022013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the hwy and my truck just abruptly slowed to 10 or less mile per hour. I had to cost over two lanes of traffic to the shoulder. This was very dangerous as the cars around me had no idea that I was having car troubles and just whizzed by at hwy speeds. Once I made it to the shoulder I was able to turn the truck off and restart it and get it to the dealership without a tow. Once at the dealership, they said there was no codes on the computer so there was nothing they could do until they had a code. This has happened four times and I still have not been able to get it fixed.

- Garland, TX, USA

Sep 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving for about an hour, then came to a stop light. When the light turned green and I pressed the accelerator, the engine died (but the car's electronics stayed on) and the check engine light came on, no movement from the car. I turned it off and back on. The engine struggled to start. I then proceeded to drive another half mile at about 55mph, and the engine stalled again while at driving speed. I managed to pull over, turned it off, waited 5 minutes, then was able to drive 3 miles home. A month and half later, my wife was driving at roughly 30mph and the engine did the same thing(stalled). Turned it off, struggled to start, but managed to drive 5 miles home. I took it to Ford in between the first and second incident, they said there was nothing wrong, but cleaned the throttle body. I have since learned of investigation # PE13-003 which appears to be the exact problem I am having. Ford has not helped me in the matter, but I believe this issue needs to be addressed.

- Drumfries, VA, USA

Jul 262013

Escape

The fuel throttle body failed & the engine died. Pulled off the road & restarted the engine, was able to limp home, (10 miles).

- Gorham, IL, USA

Oct 042013

Escape 6-cyl

I was pulling out of a shopping center onto four lanes. When I tried to accelerate the gas pedal did nothing. I managed to get over to the side of the road and ended up having to have the car towed to the dealership. Today I was called and told that the throttle body needs to be replaced.

- Port Clinton, OH, USA

Sep 192013

Escape 4-cyl

As I was driving down the road, all the sudden without notice, the vehicle went to 1 RPM and 5 miles per hour. Tried to accelerate and it would not, then the wrench light came on. I put on my flashers immediately so I would not get rear ended by cars coming fast behind me. Then, the vehicle stalled out. The check engine light never came on. Sat there in the rain for a few minutes. Then, started the vehicle back up again, to get it home. Then, I was afraid to drive it, called the Ford dealer to get my vehicle in, they could not look at it until Monday of the next week, so had vehicle towed on Saturday to dealer---extra cost involved on a 2 year old vehicle. The service department looked at it, they could not duplicate the problem. I pick up the vehicle on 9/25/2013. Drove the vehicle for 4 days, then happened again on 9/29/13 and it had been raining. Then, drove the next day 9/30/13, again threw the wrench symbol after going to 1 RPM and 2 to 5 miles per hour and bucking, could not accelerate at all. It was dry on this day. Again, put my flashers on this time was going 30 mph on a narrow two lane road. Remember the service engine light never came on, but they were able to find a code this time. They said it was the throttle body, so I began asking more questions as to why Ford has not recalled this since so many across the usa are having issues. No one knows, so as a consumer on a tight budget --like many of us these days....gets to figure out all the money pieces. I guess I will need a third job just for vehicle repairs on a two year old vehicle. This was a very scary experience and Ford needs to do something about this before anyone else is seriously injured or killed. This problem should not be happening with a two year old maintained vehicle. Now because it is over the 36,000 miles more money out of pocket....geez.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 032013

Escape 6-cyl

The car just quit on the four lane highway in the passing lane and a couple of times on the city street in town found the throttle body and motor assemble bad.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Oct 052013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle loses power during operation at various speeds. The engine reverts to idle, revving below 1000rpm. Depressing the gas pedal has no effect on engine RPM or speed. The "wrench" light comes on, but without any code stored. If the car is turned off and then back on, the engine reluctantly starts, and the problem is not present, but the problem soon appears (within seconds). After several incidents today on my way to the auto shop, the "check engine" light came on and I was able to get the code: P2111, "binding throttle body - stuck open" and "tacm open or shorted". taking the vehicle to the auto shop, they told me the throttle body assembly was not functioning correctly and needed replacement. This is currently being done as the vehicle is unsafe to drive in its present condition. This problem happened once before, about a month ago, and I immediately took the vehicle to the local Ford dealership. They could find nothing wrong, but said it sounded like a throttle or electrical problem, as they have seen numerous problems similar to this. They said there was no stored code for the "wrench" light. They told me the car was safe to drive but to bring the vehicle in if it happens again. At that time they would begin replacing parts until the problem went away as they were unable to diagnose the problem with the information provided, even though they had seen this problem before. This is a dangerous situation, particularly when driving on the highway or crossing an intersection, as the vehicle no longer has power to the drive train and can only coast to a stop. There should be a recall on this defective part.

- Leominster, MA, USA

Oct 032013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving tonight I lost power and came to a complete stop. I was on my way home from work and luckily not on the freeway. I am 21 weeks pregnant and this really scared me. I had the car towed to the Ford dealer. When they called to tell us what was wrong they said it was the throttle body. It is no longer under warranty. Before we gave them the ok to fix it we looked online and discovered that this was a known issue with the Ford Escapes. When I called back I asked if what we read was true and if this part gets replaced a lot on these cars. The service person confirmed. I then asked if it became a recall would we get our money back and I was told we would. This car is only 2.5 years old and we had to replace something already. $475 out of our pocket!

- Galena, OH, USA

Sep 302013

Escape

After coming to a near stop, the engine began to surge and the vehicle lurched 6 or 7 times. After touching the throttle, the engine became responsive again.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

Sep 102013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine speed became unsteady, rising and falling despite steady, even pressure on throttle pedal. Soon after, the engine would die after returning to idle following a stop. Not long after that, unsteady engine speed became more noticeable both at idle and while driving.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Sep 282013

Escape 6-cyl

I bought my 2011 Ford Escape brand new and it has about 40K miles on it. I've never had any issues. It's been a great car with all of my traveling and I've always trusted that it would get me from point a to point B safely. Until today! I got an oil change and check-up last week, no problems. This morning, I was driving on a busy 4-lane interstate when my car lost all power and started shaking and jerking. I was going about 65-70 mph when it stalled and quickly decelerated as cars were swerving around me and speeding past. The engine was still running, the check engine light popped on, and pressing the gas pedal did nothing. It was a miracle that I was able to safely maneuver over to the shoulder without causing an accident and killing someone or myself. I was completely caught off guard and spooked by the whole thing. I restarted my car and the check engine light was off and the car seemed normal. I got off at the next exit to avoid playing car accident roulette on the highway. Everything was fine for the next few miles. Then.. it happened again! this time as I was approaching a busy intersection. Scary, scary stuff. It was like driving a ticking time bomb! this time the check engine light remained on and it took me twice to get my engine to restart. I drove directly to the nearest Ford dealership. I was very caught off guard as my car had just been serviced and had always been reliable in the past. Ford replaced the throttle body. After a simple google search, I discovered how common this issue has been and was shocked. I cannot believe that this part hasn't been recalled yet! I find it to be extremely irresponsible of Ford to be so complacent with a known issue when people's lives are in jeopardy. Turning your back on a problem and ignoring it is not satisfactory customer service. This part needs to be recalled asap before someone is hurt or killed.

- White Hall, MD, USA

Sep 222013

Escape

My vehicle stalled twice yesterday while going though busy intersections and the wrench light came on. I would pull over at a super slow speed and then turn the car off and back on. Finding this rare for a well maintained 2 year old vehicle, I looked up "Escape stalling" on google and found a plethora of complaints. I took it to the dealer today and mentioned what was happening with the car and what I had seen on the internet and he didn't give any credence to it. I am still waiting for a diagnosis and hope the problem can be repaired. Luckily there was no one behind me either time...but this could have easily been a very nasty accident because there is no warning that the car is going to stall. Notes: I purchased the vehicle in NJ February 2011

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 232013

Escape

While driving on my morning work commute I was stunned when my 2011 Ford Escape just became unresponsive and was coasting on a 5 lane freeway doing 65 mph. I really did not know what was going on since the only signal that could classify a problem was the little wrench light at the bottom left of the dashboard that was on. I did not do anything out of the ordinary, and I did not notice anything out of the ordinary with the ride. My observations - rpms dropped below 1,000, speed was coasting but dropping since there was no acceleration, electrical was on, steering was sluggish like something was wrong, and a small shaking of the vehicle occurred. The only thing I could do is put my blinker to move to the shoulder but my fellow commuters did not respect that very well. So I promoted my desired to get off the freeway by turning my hazard emergency lights and that's when they started to move away from me to get to the shoulder. My experience did rattle me since I felt hopeless in a sense that I wanted to hit the brake and remembered that I was on a freeway which would be really bad. After pulling over to the shoulder I did manage to turn the vehicle off completely pull the key out and give it about a minute. After I started it up again I figured it was a single occurrence, which I was wrong when it happened again on the way home but I was down the street from my house.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 182013

Escape

The car stopped responding to the gas pedal as I was merging into traffic. I pulled over, turned the car off and waited 15 minutes. I turned it back on, had the same behavior when I tried pulling out of the parking lot. I had to toe the vehicle to the dealership. The mechanic knew right away what the issue was, mentioning that it was common. The dealer replaced the throttle body and charged a $100 premium to use my warranty, despite it being a "known" issue.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Sep 172013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate. In addition, the vehicle sporadically failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The contact referenced NHTSA action number: DP12006 (engine) and stated that the parts were not available to complete the repair under the technical service bulletin. The approximate failure mileage was 53,227. The consumer stated the vehicle went into limp mode causing the vehicle to accelerate at 5 mph.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 202013

Escape

While driving on the highway, my SUV jerked slightly and then just decelerated, and I could not maintain speed. I had to cross over 3 lanes to the side of the road and turned the SUV off. There was no warning, and I had not applied the break. I noticed the wrench light came on the dashboard. I waited a minute and turned the SUV on again. I was able to get to my destination, however, during this trip, the SUV jerked slightly again, but this time there was a slight acceleration. I was able to maintain a safe speed for the remainder of the trip, as it only lasted for a couple seconds. I contacted the service department of the dealership where I purchased the car and where I regularly take the car for maintenance. The serviceman knew exactly what the problem was when I described the problems I was having. He suggested I bring the car in for service as soon as possible. The car was towed to the dealership, and they replaced the electronic throttle. I was told it was not covered under warranty, but since I had an extended warranty, they would only charge me $100. When I picked up the car, I actually paid $106, and I was never informed that this was a recalled part. I should not have been charged anything, as Ford was well aware that this part was defective and have been for many months now.

- Blue Bell, PA, USA

Sep 202013

Escape

While driving down the highway my vehicle went straight to limp mode with no warning at all. I had to pull to the side of the highway while traffic was stopping behind me and trying to pass me. A wrench light and check engine light came on and I could not throttle my vehicle at all. I cut the ignition off, let it sit a minute and cranked it again. The problem went away. This has happened numerous times the last 2 days. It has happened while trying to go through intersections and while turning across traffic. The diagnostics at advanced auto shows throttle body stuck open. This is a very dangerous situation that seems to be happening to a lot of these vehicles.

- Williamston, NC, USA

Sep 192013

Escape 6-cyl

My daughter was entering an intersection preparing to turn left. When she got enough of a clearing between vehicles to turn she went to accelerate to go thru with the left turn and she had no gas to go. The peddle hit the floor and the car died. She was able to coast thru the light with out being hit. But after that the car had to be towed home. We had to replace the throttle body on the vehicle. She was very lucky not to be in a serious crash because of this part going bad!

- Willard, OH, USA

Mar 172011

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the vehicle jerked and then accelerated rapidly. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer a few months later because the transmissions warning light had illuminated. The dealer stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 2,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Sylvester, GA, USA