2011 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 12)

Sep 032013

I was driving to work in the morning and my Escape stalled while going through a four way intersection. I thought that this may have been an isolated incident so I continued driving. I then noticed while I was in traffic that the engine would shutter and not idle normally. It stalled again the next day. I took it to the Ford dealership in the city where I live with the check engine light on, they tested it and then the light reset itself?? they took it on a test drive and nothing happened with them while they were driving so they said that there was nothing that they could do. My car is shutting off while I am in trafic and driving, this is a serious safety issue. I have been blessed that the brakes work on the cars that drive around me or else I would have been in a serious accident on more than one occasion this week!!! please recall these cars and get them fixed before someone dies!!!!

- Hinesville , GA, USA

Aug 012013

The car went into limp mode while driving... gas pedal would not do anything until I pulled over and restarted. Wrench light and check engine come on, but go off after car is restarted. Took to dealer today after about 6 occurrences in the past month. It seems to be happening more frequently.

- Roselle, IL, USA

Sep 062013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact leased a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving. The vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. It was determined the vehicle needed a new throttle body. The failure and current mileage was 40,000. Updated 10/17/13 the consumer has since returned the leased vehicle.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Sep 032013

Escape 6-cyl

Upon entering a busy highway off of my neighborhood the vehicle lost acceleration power and went into a complete slow crawl as if coasting, almost causing me to get rear ended by 60 mph approaching traffic. Fortunately, I was able to barley coast to the shoulder before anyone could hit me. I turned off the vehicle until my husband arrived to bail me out. He then was able to restart the vehicle and managed to drive it to the nearest Ford dealership and left it there overnight. Upon diagnosing the vehicle with a dtc of P2111, they informed us that they ordered a replacement throttle body which would take approximately 3-4 weeks to obtain since they're on back order, leaving us without a reliable vehicle till the repair can be completed.

- Lecanto, FL, USA

Jul 242013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving at highway speed, lost all power, drive train warning light came on, engine light came on. Had to coast across lanes of traffic to emergency lane and shut off car. Turned back on and car worked normally, no warning lights. Traveled several miles and happened again. Ford dealer said it sounded like it was the throttle actuator, they have seen this before and it would cost me $400 to repair. Ford has a design problem with this part and refuses to fix it. I do not want to have to keep replacing $400 throttle actuators every 30,000 miles. The code was P2111. This needs to be done before an accident happens.

- Huntingburg, IN, USA

Sep 022013

Escape 6-cyl

On 08/30/2013, my wife and I drove our 2011 Ford Escape which has the mileage of 38000 back home from a state park. When we were attempting accelerate the vehicle after a right turn from a stop light, the gas pedal suddenly stop working properly and would not accelerate, the wrench light was on. We stopped the car and restarted, it worked fine. Without thinking much about it, we drove on I-10 highway and luckily we get home safe. But it happened again on 09/01/2013 and 09/02/2013, respectively. This is definitely a safety issues which Ford company should resolve and I can't believed I drove it on highway with such hidden danger!!!

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 252013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle independently engaged into limp mode and decelerated without warning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 59,286.

- New Hope, AL, USA

Jul 052013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated the electronic throttle was replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

On August 29, 2013 driver of a 2011 Ford Escape was attempting to turn left and accelerate the vehicle from a stoplight when the car jerked forward and would not accelerate or go with flow of traffic, and with traffic moving behind the vehicle creating dangerous situation. The dashboard showed a wrench light, and driver found it hard to move car forward as it went into "limp home" mode, sputtering all the way. The car was finally moved to the side of the road, shut off, and restarted, and driven the 3 miles home. Owner will take car to the dealership (carmax). Driver assumes will find throttle body code. The part and service should be covered under extended warranty. However, driver/owner will be out of pocket for deductible $250. Family was in car and this is definitely a safety concern on this vehicle. When it goes into limp mode there is no warning and may cause an accident when the vehicle suddenly decelerates to snail speed. I believe Ford must recall the faulty throttle body in the 2009-2011 models as they are safety issues for drivers in the car and other drivers on the road.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Aug 282013

Wednesday August 28, 2013-I was going down my street headed to work-I had just pulled out of the driveway. Maybe going 15-20 miles per hour. Then the Escape jolted forward like it was going to stall and shut off. It did not start back up right away like it is supposed to. Thursday August 29, 2013-jolted, stalled, and shut off 3 different times today. One of those times, the vehicle was on the highway and a semi truck was coming up behind me and almost hit me! very scary!!! unsafe!! as I have been researching this problem, I have noticed that this is a common problem with this make, model, and year. Is it going to take someone losing their life for someone to do something about this problem?! Ford needs to step up and right their wrong and quit ignoring it.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 292013

8/29/13 - san francisco, ca I was driving down California street and my gas pedal failed at park presidio. I glided through the intersection and pulled over. I shut the engine off and made a few phone calls for assistance. When I turned the engine back on, the car was running fine.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 292013

I was driving home from work on a street where the speed limit is 50mph and when I went to slow down I lost power, engine seemed to do nothing at all when gas pedal was pushed. The car also began to shake as if I were siting in the cab of a semi. I pulled off to the side of the road and shut the car off. After a couple of seconds I started the car back-up, it did not start immediately it made a weird sound but then did start and no longer had the shaking. I continued home the 6-7 miles I had left with no other incident. I I had not been slowing down for a red light, there may have been an accident due to it happened on a busy road in rush hour. This issue seems to be a massive problem and it needs to be recalled before people are hurt or killed, not after the fact.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Aug 242013

Bad throttle body not covered under warranty of 36,000.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Aug 192013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. The contact was driving 40 mph when the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was merged safely off road and restarted. The contact took the vehicle to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed with a throttle body issue. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 49000.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Aug 222013

While driving home from work on the highway out of nowhere the check engine light came on and the throttle stopped working. I put the vehicle in neutral and still no throttle response, had to pull over on the highway, turn the vehicle off, turned it back on and ran fine O the way home. 2 days later drove the vehicle to work again and drove fine but on the way home from work the exact same thing happened 7 times! after the 4th time it happened on the way home the check engine light stayed on even though the throttle came back after turning the vehicle back on. Stopped at the local auto parts store to get the code and found out it was the throttle body stuck closed. The fact that this has happened that many times on the highway is a real danger to myself and others on the road way.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 202013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden I could not gas my car. Traffic was heavy and I nearly caused two accidents trying to maneuver to the emergency lane. I an not able to drive my car far from home nor on a highway as it chooses to repay this at random.

- Desoto, TX, USA

Aug 212013

Escape 6-cyl

At first, while driving, the car would shut down and not respond to throttle movement, a huge safety issue in traffic. After pulling over and restarting the car, the problem seemed to go away for a while. The problem seemed to be intermittent the first few times. Finally the car shut down to an idle and would not respond to throttle movement and the wrench and engine lights came on. The car would only run limp mode. The odb codes read a P2111 and P2112 (throttle actuator control stuck open, and throttle actuator stuck closed) respectively. We had to tow the vehicle to the dealer. We were told that the entire throttle body had to be replaced at a cost of $666. The problem is that the part is unavailable for 2 weeks and maybe up to a month. We have 39000 miles on the vehicle, the warranty ran out at 36000. This issue is also not covered under the power train warranty. This seems to be a widespread issue and I am disappointed that Ford is unwilling to make this right and produce a recall.

- American Fork, UT, USA

Aug 212013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle abruptly stalled, wrench light came on, no accelerator pedal. Dangerous situation in traffic, leaving driver stranded. Forced to call for tow truck and have vehicle towed to dealer for repair. Very lucky to be able to steer vehicle to relatively safe location. Dealer replaced electronic throttle body. E-mailed Ford, but no response at this time.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Aug 222013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine loss of power, would. Not accelerate, got out of traffic, put on 4ways, engine would only idle very rough, check engine light and wrench were on, shut off engine restarted after long cranking, started resumed trip, about 5 miles happened again, I did same, after restarted drove 12 miles home. This issue is extremely dangerous. I have found over 2 hundred reports of the same problem upon first try and I was using 2011 Escape. Ihave since become aware that this problem affects multiple models and years. Ford talks about safe mode" how safe is a 5 mph or less vehicle in a 70 mph belt way????? how about a 1 minute to stall mode??? or get off the road now?" it would appear they are aware of the issues and more concerned as to the ones that are in warranty!!! in other words protect the engine let the passenger fend for themselves. This has occurred multiple times at multiple speeds. Went to Ford they suggested appointment, 1 week was first available, if problem is throttle body part may be on back order, lovely,

- Kittanning, PA, USA

Aug 152013

Escape 6-cyl

Engine lost power but did not die. It would still creep along about 2 mph. The gear light was showing on the dash. The obd code was read by a local auto parts shop as P2112 -- throttle actuator control system - stuck closed. Recommended action from Ford was to replace the throttle body. I purchased the part from a local Ford dealer for $324 plus tax and installed myself. Problem was resolved.

- Overland Park, KS, USA