2011 Ford Escape fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Dec 192016

Escape

I was driving to my bank which is an hour away. As I drove up a steep mountain at the top the truck just shut off and I coasted to the side of hwy. After I stop tried starting 4 times and nothing happen. Set for 10mins then tried again truck started I made it back home without stalling.I took my in truck to be looked at diagnostic fuel throttle. Every day since im stalling 1or 2 a day trucks should be made to endure parts should be.more durable its always about cutting corners.making more money off of customer.can we just the land of the free and a home of honest amd integrity.I must work if dont have reliable trasnportation its difficult where I live. Please do something about all these defected trucks we trust Ford but I have lost trust in their ablity to make great lasting trucks.I will never buy another Ford again this my last one from Ford.thank you.

- Fogelsville, PA, USA

Jan 082017

Escape

As I was driving home in town, the engine service soon light comes on. Code has to do with the emissions/fuel valve. The vehicle drives just fine, but concerned about inspection and if this is under a recall that is not for my vehicle. Also, when driving, starting and stopping the car seems to 'jump' at times and no known cause and hesitates in shifting. Please advise on what to do. Thank you. A very concerned driver.

- Katy, TX, USA

Dec 022016

Escape

Bought 2011 Ford Escape XLT used 5-27-2016 (private sale, Chicago il). Upon purchase, serviced at milwaukee area Ford dealership, found front control arms & bushings torn/loose. Next, front sway bars, outer tie rod ends, brakes and rotors needed replacement. In Oct. 2016 engine/transmission major issues: Leaking oil and trans fluid -no oil lamp or check engine light- car would run out of oil, pulled over added more. Trans slipping during accel/weak accel. Hard shifting w/high rpms. Rough idle. Ticking noise under hood when brakes applied. 12-6-2016 Ford dealership replaced gaskets & seals in engine & transmission- $2,000 repair. Upon driving car, issues continue, new issues present: Trans slipping worse/bucking, car not accelerating when gas pedal depressed, car stalling in traffic, car lurching forward, car losing gasoline/smelling of gasoline. Broke down 12-8-2016 in parking lot due to fuel leak. Contacted aaa roadside assistance, returned to dealership, turned away. Fire dept cleared car for towing, fire hazard. Researched VIN, found recall for fuel delivery modulator flange, and field service action for electronic throttle body. Contacted Ford customer support, verified recall for my VIN. Advised to not operate vehicle. Area Ford dealerships refused to diagnose w/O charging. A service manager at a Mazda dealership diagnosed additional undisclosed repairs: A/C line ruptured, front driver's side sway bar snapped and control arm bushing separated; Ford mechanic had also left bolts & hoses loose/unclamped in engine. Steering and rear suspension deteriorating. Returned to dealership once more- turned away. Missed 1 month of work (driving is job). No rental provided, unwilling to reimburse. Filed dealer complaint. Filing consumer protection & disclosure lawsuit. Seeking class action lawsuit against Ford Motor Company. Car is dangerous, I refuse to operate it.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 242016

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. Without warning, the eps failed and the steering wheel became extremely tight. The contact had to cautiously park the vehicle due to the failure. The dealer was notified. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The contact was uncertain of when the vehicle would be diagnosed and repaired. In addition, the contact was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V777000 (fuel system, gasoline). The interim notice indicated that parts were not available. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Sep 012016

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While in park and also while driving, strong fuel fumes emitting from inside and outside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel delivery module flange needed to be replaced per NHTSA campaign number: 16V777000 (fuel system, gasoline). The part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 222016

Escape 6-cyl

Gas smell inside car. On third or fourth day of recurring smell, took to service. Service tech had difficulty finding leak, as their was no visible drips to the ground. Returned to driving while the gas smell became stronger. Returned to service, this time he found the source to be the fuel pump. The problem was actually the elbow plastic neck leading into the fuel pump was spewing gas from an invisible hairline crack. The leak stops when the car is turned off. The location of the fuel pump is under the rear seat - causing a thick smell of gas and extreme danger of explosion. I have never had repair work on that part. This apparently is due to manufacture flaw in materials. I am a new widow and looking at a $650 replacement fuel pump. I considered dealing with epoxy but am afraid this will cause further damage and risk.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Aug 102016

Escape

The throttle body went out on the freeway w/ O warning. I found out Ford has known about this for years and has not done anyything about it, in motion

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Jul 282016

Escape

My wife's car lost all power and she was able to coast it to a safe in downtown pittsburgh, got it towed to our mechanic and there's an active code for the electric throttle body motor stuck closed

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 102016

Escape

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While driving and making a turn, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. In addition, the fuel fill inlet warning light illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the electronic power steering failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 09/22/16

- Davie, FL, USA

Jul 012015

Escape

Several times when driving the car at a high rate of speed (55+) the smell of gas fumes are very strong inside the car. This is espically true when the A/C/ is on high.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jul 012016

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Hello, a few months ago I purchased a used 2011 Ford Escape flex fuel from infinity/Volkswagen of fairfield, ca 94533. During the time my wife and I have been driving it, I have experienced some major troubles with the vehicle.when driving in the city or on the highway at any speed, the vehicles gas pedal all of a sudden loses pressure and I have no more gas. Promptly after that, the car begins to shake and eventually I have to pull over for safety reasons. This has happened more than 10 times now. I have been to the dealership 3 times already and explained to them what's going on. They just brushed it off and said " come back when the engine lights come on." I was very mad and frustrated but I let it be. Over the fourth of July weekend I was driving the vehicle the problem happened again this time I was on the freeway and had to immediately pull over because I was in the fast lane. It was so fast that I collided with the side of the shoulder to right of the fast lane and hit a dirt patch. Things could have been a lot worse. Thank god nobody was hurt. In saying that my wife is the daily driver of the vehicle and to think that she is pregnant and has my 2 year old son if she was driving it things would be a lot worse for the dealership. I'm sick and tired of being treated like this. I'm a marine corps veteran and to be treated like sh*t in the dealership tell me to "leave and have good day" is terrible. This is the third vehicle that I have purchased from them and by no means will there be any more business with them after this. Not caring about the safety of customers is wrong. I do not want this vehicle anymore. I repeat I do not want this vehicle anymore. I need something done about this please. If not I have no choice but to write my congressman about this situation, the department of veterans affairs and a lawyer. I hope that we can handle this in a civil manner.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Apr 012016

Escape

Takata recall stopped at stop sign tried to move forward would only move at a tiny crawl red wrench light came on made it home still only barely moving. Turned motor off restarted everything seemed to be back to normal. Now I'm afraid to drive in very much traffic. If this happens on busy highway could be extremely dangerous. I need to know what to do.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Mar 252016

Escape

My 2011 Ford Escape limited VIN number 1fmcu9eg8bkb21664 while driving loses all acceleration which requires me to pull the vehicle over turn it off and restart the car so it will run normal again. This happened 6 times to me while I was driving on the highway. After getting the codes run it came back with P2111 - throttle actuator control system - stuck open. I have seen many complaints about this online and to be honest it is a very scary experience when it happens because it is a huge safety issue while driving, I am lucky it didn't cause an accident or worse.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

May 072014

Escape

I have had this vehicle for one year, and it would be impossible to recount all of the times it has stalled on me while driving it. It has stalled in parking lots, in heavy stop-and-go traffic, making turns, pulling into my driveway, and accelerating to enter the freeway. It started within two months of purchase. I took it to a Ford dealership in August of 2014 where they performed recall work which included throttle body replacement, reprogrammed the PCM, and a power steering advisory item. The vehicle continued to stall. The stalling seems to happen just after fill-up and happens intermittently until the gas gauge reads less than three-fourths and at low speeds. I filled it up yesterday, and it has stalled seven times since then. It happens when coasting to a stop or making a turn. On the freeway at high speeds, it runs well. The issue was compounded in February when it was discovered that the evap canister was full of gas. It, along with a tube hose assembly (bl8Z9D667B-af), was replaced only for it to happen again. The purge valve was stuck open and had to be replaced along with a second evap canister. The stalling issue continued, and the dealership found the canister to be saturated with gas again. This time, they said they would have to replace the gas tank to correct the issue as they believe it is a valve built into the tank which seems absurd. I have not done this since they quoted a cost of over $2000. Even if I have that done, it will only correct the canister issue, not the stalling. I have read hundreds of posts on the internet from people who have the exact same problems with the same model year as I have. These are both issues that I believe to be the result of a defect in the manufacturing of this vehicle due to the volume of owners who are experiencing the same problems. I feel Ford needs to step up and correct these issues.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Apr 172015

Escape 4-cyl

An O2/exhaust sensor & fuel induction kit had to be replaced. This SUV has only 13700 miles on it. The dealer said that the parts were faulty. My bumper to bumper warranty went out last July 2014, so it wasn't covered. I feel that Ford needs to investigate if other vehicles have this same problem. I should also be reimbursed for my cost.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Apr 092014

Escape 4-cyl

1st time I was coming to a stop at a light and the vehicle wanted to surge forward several times, when light turned green I tried to accelerate and it hesitated. This would happen every now and again, not a continuous issue. In Dec 2014 it happened again this time with the vehicle stalling, put in park and it started right up but hesitated when accelerating, did this several times within a 5 mile span. Parked, did my 8 hour work day came out, started right up and no issues driving home. Later that night my husband drove it and it stalled on him 3 times with the check engine light coming on. Code P144A came up, took it to my mechanic and was told the code thrown should not cause stalling issues. This has been an ongoing battle, sometimes the vehicle running great, sometimes I don't know if I'll make it to my destination. This happens at all speeds; in city, interstate, or at a complete stop. I only have 72000 in mileage and my vehicle is well kept, what is going on"!"

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 012013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The Escape leaks gasoline throughout the gas pump only when it's turned on. And the back door doesn't open, it's locked.

- Panorama City, CA, USA

Oct 012014

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

When driving the steering wheel seems hard to control. The SUV seems to sputter as I press on the accelerator, and the engine (motor) seems to miss when acceleration is between 20 and 40 mph. Next, when accelerating past 60 the engine missing or (cutting out symptom) occurs.

- High Point, NC, USA

Sep 262014

Escape

Driving on freeway approx 65 mph, no warning, engine completely stops. Thankfully able to drift over to shoulder of exit lane and restarted with no detectable issues. Asked mechanics to run alternator diagnostics - as they said the alternator was the only thing that would make an engine completely cut off. Tested ok. Parked for weekend. Same thing happened on Monday morning. Searched for problem online, found throttle body comments. Called local dealer - service adviser told me it was covered under recall, but appointment setter told me it wasn't. we'll see when I get there tomorrow. Very terrifying experience - I'm lucky I travel at very early traffic times. I don't think I will ever feel safe in the vehicle after reading so many similar stories.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 282014

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down road and just quit running.

- East Stroudsburg, PA, USA