2011 Ford Escape fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape:

2011 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Aug 102016

The throttle body went out on the freeway w/ O warning. I found out Ford has known about this for years and has not done anyything about it, in motion

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Jul 282016

My wife's car lost all power and she was able to coast it to a safe in downtown pittsburgh, got it towed to our mechanic and there's an active code for the electric throttle body motor stuck closed

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 102016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Escape. While driving and making a turn, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. In addition, the fuel fill inlet warning light illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the electronic power steering failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 09/22/16

- Davie, FL, USA

Jul 012015

Several times when driving the car at a high rate of speed (55+) the smell of gas fumes are very strong inside the car. This is espically true when the A/C/ is on high.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jul 012016

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Hello, a few months ago I purchased a used 2011 Ford Escape flex fuel from infinity/Volkswagen of fairfield, ca 94533. During the time my wife and I have been driving it, I have experienced some major troubles with the vehicle.when driving in the city or on the highway at any speed, the vehicles gas pedal all of a sudden loses pressure and I have no more gas. Promptly after that, the car begins to shake and eventually I have to pull over for safety reasons. This has happened more than 10 times now. I have been to the dealership 3 times already and explained to them what's going on. They just brushed it off and said " come back when the engine lights come on." I was very mad and frustrated but I let it be. Over the fourth of July weekend I was driving the vehicle the problem happened again this time I was on the freeway and had to immediately pull over because I was in the fast lane. It was so fast that I collided with the side of the shoulder to right of the fast lane and hit a dirt patch. Things could have been a lot worse. Thank god nobody was hurt. In saying that my wife is the daily driver of the vehicle and to think that she is pregnant and has my 2 year old son if she was driving it things would be a lot worse for the dealership. I'm sick and tired of being treated like this. I'm a marine corps veteran and to be treated like sh*t in the dealership tell me to "leave and have good day" is terrible. This is the third vehicle that I have purchased from them and by no means will there be any more business with them after this. Not caring about the safety of customers is wrong. I do not want this vehicle anymore. I repeat I do not want this vehicle anymore. I need something done about this please. If not I have no choice but to write my congressman about this situation, the department of veterans affairs and a lawyer. I hope that we can handle this in a civil manner.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Apr 012016

Takata recall stopped at stop sign tried to move forward would only move at a tiny crawl red wrench light came on made it home still only barely moving. Turned motor off restarted everything seemed to be back to normal. Now I'm afraid to drive in very much traffic. If this happens on busy highway could be extremely dangerous. I need to know what to do.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Mar 252016

My 2011 Ford Escape limited VIN number 1fmcu9eg8bkb21664 while driving loses all acceleration which requires me to pull the vehicle over turn it off and restart the car so it will run normal again. This happened 6 times to me while I was driving on the highway. After getting the codes run it came back with P2111 - throttle actuator control system - stuck open. I have seen many complaints about this online and to be honest it is a very scary experience when it happens because it is a huge safety issue while driving, I am lucky it didn't cause an accident or worse.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

May 072014

I have had this vehicle for one year, and it would be impossible to recount all of the times it has stalled on me while driving it. It has stalled in parking lots, in heavy stop-and-go traffic, making turns, pulling into my driveway, and accelerating to enter the freeway. It started within two months of purchase. I took it to a Ford dealership in August of 2014 where they performed recall work which included throttle body replacement, reprogrammed the PCM, and a power steering advisory item. The vehicle continued to stall. The stalling seems to happen just after fill-up and happens intermittently until the gas gauge reads less than three-fourths and at low speeds. I filled it up yesterday, and it has stalled seven times since then. It happens when coasting to a stop or making a turn. On the freeway at high speeds, it runs well. The issue was compounded in February when it was discovered that the evap canister was full of gas. It, along with a tube hose assembly (bl8Z9D667B-af), was replaced only for it to happen again. The purge valve was stuck open and had to be replaced along with a second evap canister. The stalling issue continued, and the dealership found the canister to be saturated with gas again. This time, they said they would have to replace the gas tank to correct the issue as they believe it is a valve built into the tank which seems absurd. I have not done this since they quoted a cost of over $2000. Even if I have that done, it will only correct the canister issue, not the stalling. I have read hundreds of posts on the internet from people who have the exact same problems with the same model year as I have. These are both issues that I believe to be the result of a defect in the manufacturing of this vehicle due to the volume of owners who are experiencing the same problems. I feel Ford needs to step up and correct these issues.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Apr 172015

Escape 4-cyl

An O2/exhaust sensor & fuel induction kit had to be replaced. This SUV has only 13700 miles on it. The dealer said that the parts were faulty. My bumper to bumper warranty went out last July 2014, so it wasn't covered. I feel that Ford needs to investigate if other vehicles have this same problem. I should also be reimbursed for my cost.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Apr 092014

Escape 4-cyl

1st time I was coming to a stop at a light and the vehicle wanted to surge forward several times, when light turned green I tried to accelerate and it hesitated. This would happen every now and again, not a continuous issue. In Dec 2014 it happened again this time with the vehicle stalling, put in park and it started right up but hesitated when accelerating, did this several times within a 5 mile span. Parked, did my 8 hour work day came out, started right up and no issues driving home. Later that night my husband drove it and it stalled on him 3 times with the check engine light coming on. Code P144A came up, took it to my mechanic and was told the code thrown should not cause stalling issues. This has been an ongoing battle, sometimes the vehicle running great, sometimes I don't know if I'll make it to my destination. This happens at all speeds; in city, interstate, or at a complete stop. I only have 72000 in mileage and my vehicle is well kept, what is going on"!"

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 012013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The Escape leaks gasoline throughout the gas pump only when it's turned on. And the back door doesn't open, it's locked.

- Panorama City, CA, USA

Oct 012014

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

When driving the steering wheel seems hard to control. The SUV seems to sputter as I press on the accelerator, and the engine (motor) seems to miss when acceleration is between 20 and 40 mph. Next, when accelerating past 60 the engine missing or (cutting out symptom) occurs.

- High Point, NC, USA

Sep 262014

Driving on freeway approx 65 mph, no warning, engine completely stops. Thankfully able to drift over to shoulder of exit lane and restarted with no detectable issues. Asked mechanics to run alternator diagnostics - as they said the alternator was the only thing that would make an engine completely cut off. Tested ok. Parked for weekend. Same thing happened on Monday morning. Searched for problem online, found throttle body comments. Called local dealer - service adviser told me it was covered under recall, but appointment setter told me it wasn't. we'll see when I get there tomorrow. Very terrifying experience - I'm lucky I travel at very early traffic times. I don't think I will ever feel safe in the vehicle after reading so many similar stories.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 282014

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down road and just quit running.

- East Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Jul 292014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Driving down freeway at 65 mph, all of a sudden the engine cuts out and I have no power. The wrench warning light in the dash came on. I pulled off to the side of the road turned the key off and restarted the car. It drove fine the next 3 miles to my home.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Jul 282014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle continued to jump, then continued to have problems. Throttle body was the cause.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

May 132014

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle accelerated quickly from a stopped position upon starting in the morning. I have to put my foot on the brake to keep it from surging forward even though I have not pressed the gas peddle at all. Vehicle jolts forward suddenly during driving at slow speeds and often when starting from a stop. Also sometimes increases acceleration when coasting at a medium speed when no gas has been applied.

- Rhinebeck, NY, USA

May 202014

Escape 6-cyl

Upon starting the vehicle it operates as it should, once the RPM slow to an idle the vehicle will surge and stall at idle. At slow speeds (10-20 mph) the vehicle will surge and stall when the throttle is applied. The vehicle shuts down and steering and braking abilities are minimal, the vehicle will surge at speeds of 45mph however it does not stall at this speed. On the highway at a speed of 70 mph the vehicle will surge slightly, however it is not as noticeable of an event as at slower speeds.

- Kingsland, GA, USA

Nov 052012

Escape 6-cyl

Check engine light came on and vehicle lost power and died. Pulled over to the side of the road and turned off the vehicle for a few minutes, then turned it on and was able to proceed for another 5-6 miles, then the issue repeated. Check engine light remained on, however. Finally was able to complete my trip without further incident. This same issue happened again about a week later, with the same outcome as the first time it happened. Scheduled a repair for 11/14/12 at which time I was informed that there was a default code P1450. Cannister was full of fuel. Evaporator canister, pipe and valve were replaced. Total for the repair $557.16 plus sales tax because vehicle mileage exceeded 36,000 warranty ceiling. Then on May 16, 2013, while on vacation, vehicle had similar problems - engine light came on, vehicle lost power and died... pulled over, turned off vehicle, turned it back on and was able to make it to the next town with a Ford dealership where we had a diagnostic run on the vehicle. This time the codes were P0685 and P2112, which required the replacement of the throttle body and motor assembly which cost another $314.18 plus sales tax. I have since received a letter from Ford stating that the throttle body is now being covered under the customer satisfaction program 13N03, but wonder why there is not similar coverage for the evaporator cannister issue.

- College Station, TX, USA

Feb 232014

Escape 6-cyl

I have no idea what part is bad.... I was driving on a open highway and all of a sudden I had no speed, it was as if I had taken my foot off the accelerator, I was able to get it off the highway but when it was idling, it was running really rough. After setting for awhile it seemed to run ok but of course being a lady I am very uncomfortable driving it now. My husband took it to our dealer, astorg Ford, they said it was the throttle body and they would replace the defected part but didn't have it in stock, they would get it in a few days but still sent it back home for me to drive and of course I will not drive it till it is fixed, I think it was bad on their part to send the Escape back to me the way it is. Thank you

- Elizabeth, WV, USA