CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Ford Escape has an acceptable complaint history so far, with leaking rear window problems showing up as the main concern so far. NHTSA complaint data shows an early pattern of problems with stalling while driving.

Another concern is the 2012 Escape rolled onto its roof during an NHTSA side impact test so it only received a marginal side impact rating ... not good.

5.0

2012 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Escape:

2012 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 202013

Escape

Had to have engine mounts replaced due to vehicle heavily shaking. Also windshield was remounted at same time to due loud noise.

- Crescent Springs, KY, USA

Mar 062014

Escape

Vehicle lost power on highway for approx 5-10 seconds, power came back slowly and then happened again a few minutes later for 5-10 seconds. Depressing accelerator had no effect.

- Beachwood, OH, USA

Oct 302013

Escape 6-cyl

When pulling out from an intersection, I experienced intermittent power loss which resulted in vehicle loafing forward then stalling or entering safety mode low idle maneuverability with wrench light on. I was in heavy traffic and had to shut off the car, place in park then restart only to have the vehicle lurch then shut off or return to safety idle again before I was able to exit the street safely. After several attempts to restart, the check engine light came on resulting in trouble code P2111 "current" fault throttle actuator control system - stuck open and code P2112 " pending throttle actuator control system - stuck closed.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Sep 022013

Escape

The first time this happened I was driving home and turned onto a street as I accelerated the vehicle slowed down. I had my foot as low as the pedal would go and it would not move. I switched it to park turned it off and back on and it started up and was fine at accelerating. So the second time this happened about a month later I was driving about 30mph when my Escape slowed down and completely stalled out while I was driving on a very busy street. I pushed so far on the accelerator that the pedal was as low as it could go but still no movement. I quickly switched it into park turned off the vehicle and tried turning it back on but it just made the noise like it was trying to start. So I tried again and it finally turned on, switched to drive and was able to get off the street as a semi was flying up behind me. Very scary moment in my life. I googled about the issue and found that an investigation is going on regarding the throttle on 2012 Escapes. I think my vehicle may be a part of this.

- Berwyn, IL, USA

Jun 122012

Escape

When driving the car would completely shut off, the check engine light would come on, and I lost control of steering and acceleration. I had to try to get over to the side of the road. The car would usually turn back on. I had to take it back into the Ford dealership 4 times for them to figure out what was wrong with it, as they thought they had fixed it each time.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 152013

Escape 6-cyl

Note, this has occurred at varying times/dates since purchase of the vehicle in 2012, has not just occurred at the date listed. When accelerating, the vehicle will have a prolonged hesitation and even a loss in speed when switching via the automatic transmission from 2nd to 3rd gear. This occurs every time the vehicle is driven, not randomly. Also, when getting up to highway speed, there is a hesitation if you touch the gas to accelerate up to the highway speed; it will hesitate a few seconds before kicking into acceleration mode.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jun 282013

Escape

At approximately 5:30 am while making a right hand turn up an incline the vehicle stalled - the oil and battery lights came on - I put it in park and turned the ignition off and then back on and restarted - I later took it to the dealership - they said they contacted the Ford technical hotline and are awaiting a response - this is the 3rd stalling incident the second at the same location and the 1st after they replaced the throttle body - the vehicle has around 11,000 miles.

- Vista, CA, USA

May 012013

Escape

On the first occasion, I was pulling away from a stop sign and into traffic. My truck stalled in the middle of the intersection. I managed to shut it off, restarted and it was fi.e. I called the dealer ship and they told me a bug probably got in my air filter. About 3 weeks later it happened in the middle of the highway in traffic doing 75. I almost got smashed in the rearend. Managed to restart. Took it to the dealer ship and they said there was nothing wrong. I picked it up and drove it home, almost cause a 4 car pileup on the interstate. My guardian angel is worn out! finally got a code to pop up and the dealership told me it was the throttle body. No recall on this part even tho it seems to be a major issue.

- Boonville, IN, USA

Jun 132013

Escape 6-cyl

Within the last week, I have experienced repeated incidents of stalling when in traffic and trying to accelerate from a stop. There were no warning signs prior to the initial failure or prior to subsequent failures. I am afraid that if this continues it could end up in a wreck with someone getting injured.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 062013

Escape

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 20 mph, the passenger's side engine mount bolt sheared off and caused the to engine to become detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was confirmed that the mount bolt had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 21,600.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 132011

Escape

Vehicle fell on its face while cruise was set at seventy, several mechanics are dumbfounded! !!

- Pineville , LA, USA

Apr 292012

Escape

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis but no cause for the failure was found. Six months later the failure recurred and again, the dealer was unable to determine the cause for the failure. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 11,500.

- Rohnert Park, CA, USA

Nov 052012

Escape 6-cyl

As we were driving the car stalled and stopped working. This has now happened 4 times. We have also had the throttle surge. I have taken the vehicle to Ford only to be told they cannot duplicate the problem therefore they cannot fix it.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 282012

Escape 6-cyl

Engine stalls and does not respond at different times.

- Euless, TX, USA

Mar 162013

Escape

When my Escape is in the running mode, the engine does not sounds like a gas running vehicle, but it runs loud like a truck. When pressing the gas I have to press the gas pedal to the floor before moving at a good speed, the transmission slips into gears.

- Seal Beach, CA, USA

Feb 232013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving down the road at approx. 35-40 mph, my Ford Escape just stalled. No warning lights were on prior to or after the incident. I coasted to a safe place with my hazard lights on, put it in park, and it started up on the first try. It has not happened again (it has been 6 days). The Ford dealership could not find anything wrong and has installed a recorder to see if it happens again within the next 2 wks. This was a very scary occurrence and I am nervous with my children in the car. Something like this, could have a very serious catastrophic outcome.

- Mount Royal, NJ, USA

Feb 222013

Escape 6-cyl

When driving to pick up my manual ironically from the dealership, pulled into the dealership lot and lowered speed turning into lot and engine stalled...also when I would back up out of my work parking lot space, putting the vehicle in drive from a complete stop the vehicle would surge and have almost hit the parked cars next to me. Please look into this for 2012 Ford Escapes as well...engine as surged and stalled and hesitates when driving at various speeds...thank you...

- Darien, IL, USA

Jan 192013

Escape 6-cyl

After coming to a stop at a stop sign the vehicle stalled - the battery light came on - I put it in park turned the ignition off and then back on and restarted - I drove it to the dealership - they said they could not verify the concern - this is the second incident.

- Vista, CA, USA

Mar 092012

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle stalls intermittently when driving at various freeway speeds. Pressing all the way down on the gas pedal the vehicle recovers acceleration. The vehicle was checked by an authorized dealer at 325 mi. On the odometer and "no vehicle problem found". vehicle has experienced eight freeway incidents of stalls in 3908 mi.on the odometer, the stalls have occurred at different speeds or vehicle maneuvers.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Nov 182012

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle in traffic on busy interstate (I-635E) dallas, tx on Sunday 11/18 at approx 11 am. Vehicle had already been driven 10-15 miles when the engine lost power. Tachometer showed 1000 RPM and engine was still running but no throttle response. Was able to coast to next off-ramp though interstate was under construction and concrete barriers denied access to shoulder. After coasting to off-ramp I was able to determine emissions indicator was lit and I turned off the engine, restarted and tried to proceed. The engine lurched and stalled and the maintenance indicator also illuminated. Forced to call for assistance. Had vehicle towed to Ford dealership. They replaced the throttle body (fomoco pn ds7Z-9E926-a) and cleared the odbc codes. Vehicle has driven fine with no issues for next 100 miles. Personal note: Fortunately the incident happened close enough to an of ramp I could exit the busy interstate. The construction had concrete barriers on both sides of the interstate preventing shoulder access. If I had not been able to make it to an off ramp the vehicle would have been stalled in a multi-lane interstate likely resulting in a traffic accident.

- Durant, OK, USA