CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Ford Escape has an acceptable complaint history so far, with leaking rear window problems showing up as the main concern so far. NHTSA complaint data shows an early pattern of problems with stalling while driving.

Another concern is the 2012 Escape rolled onto its roof during an NHTSA side impact test so it only received a marginal side impact rating ... not good.

2012 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Escape:

2012 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 202016

Escape

While driving vehicle it started making a lot of noise and vibrating a lot. Checked lug nuts and found all tight. Got under vehicle and found the right drive shaft had come apart. Have never had one fail suddenly like this. Had car towed to Ford dealer. Upon inspection the found one of the motor mount bolts had backed all the way out, a second one had backed out a little and broke, the third remained tight but had sheared off. This allowed the engine to drop drop and destroyed the drive shaft. Bought this vehicle new in 2012. Bolts have never been loosened during this time. Dealer has no explanation as to why they would come loose. Mileage at time of failure was 85000.

- Russia, OH, USA

Nov 112015

Escape

Escape has several issues, Ford dealer would review and report no issues found. I bought my Escape new in July 2012. 1.front seat belts - within the first year (Jan-Feb 2013 - mileage 5,000ish) the front seat belts wouldn┐T retract 90% of the time, causing them to be caught in the door and/or keep the door from closing. 2.transmission issues (Nov 2015 - mileage 50,000ish ) it shifts badly, sometimes acts as if its in-between gears when your breaking or accelerating. When you release the peddle and reapply, it┐ll reengage but at times will lurch again. 3. electrical issues - Jan 2016 -(mileage 65,000ish) the dome light won┐T go out, had to pull the fuse lights so I could drive unobstructed. 4.(4/18/16 - mileage 73,000ish) rear door will not open. Apparently this is a known issue based on what find on line and here. In the past I did notice water ┐drips┐ on my back window, I couldn┐T figure out where the ┐leak┐ was, again dealership reported no problem found, I just thought it was pooled water that found its way in when I had opened up the rear window/door. But based on what I see on line and here the rear door not opening is due to the ┐water drip/leak┐ issue because of the rear window gasket isn┐T correct thickness or something along those lines. Back door not being able to open is a safety concern, all doors should be accessible in case of an emergency. 5. same date as 4, door locks not locking when you put SUV into gear. 6. April 26, 2016 ┐ pulling out of my drive way ┐ no incline what so ever ┐ warning light for steep grade light came on. 6. truck will be taken back to a different Ford dealer ship, for all the above issues, I don┐T care to return to where I bought it, since their service department is very dismissive despite me providing reports from this website to them about the various issues I came in with.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Apr 162016

Escape

Engine...significant noise and vibration when stationary. I was told from the dealership that I would not find this after I drove the vehicle around for awhile; due to being in the garage and moisture. Seed control...sudden loss of power while driving on interstate between 60- 65 mph. When I took the vehicle to the dealership they said they could find nothing wrong, sent a mechanic out to ride with me in the vehicle and explain what had happened I was advised to come back again if it happens again. I said I felt unsafe and felt afraid to drive this vehicle. The dealership had me drive another "same" vehicle and it was just as loud at idle and seemed no better. I left in my vehicle unsure of it's safety and prayed a lot. I do not drive much anyway but limit trips now. I want to be safe. I want a safe vehicle.

- Lyndonville, VT, USA

Apr 052016

Escape

While cruising at speeds ranging from 25 to 55 mph, car will suddenly lose power, with rpms decreasing to 1200-1500. Depressing accelerator has no effect for 3-5 seconds, when the car will act normally. A similar problem is noted at random times when accelerating under light throttle from a stop or when applying full power to pass another vehicle on the highway. This presents a dangerous situation when the car cannot be relied upon to perform normally. The problem has not been isolated to any specific environmental or operational conditions. The problem was worse during the first 5,000 miles, but continues less frequently (vehicle has 40,000 miles now). Dealer technicians are unable to locate any faults.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Mar 012012

Escape

Significant engine vibration at idle with car in drive. Engine rpms appear to be too low with load on engine. I see numerous complaints about this issue online, so it is a widespread problem that should be addressed by Ford.

- Plainfield, IN, USA

Nov 062014

Escape

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Escape. While driving 45 mph and veering to the left, the engine stalled. The vehicle was restarted. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 37,782. Updated 12/03/15

- Pitcairn, PA, USA

Apr 162015

Escape

From a stopped position then excelling or while driving on highway without any warning my car will stall. And wrench will appear.

- Riverview, FL, USA

May 162015

Escape

While driving my vehicle on the highway suddenly the vehicle slowed down to a stop and stalled, I was in the right lane of the highway because I was about to exit, I looked at the dashboard and the RPM was at 0 and the battery light and the oil light was illuminated. However the car had no power I somehow was able to accelerate the car to the hood of the road. At that time I turned the key and removed it from the ignition waited a few minutes and started the vehicle. And the engine started and I pulled back on to the highway to continue my trip. I have taken my vehicle to a Ford service center and they are trying to duplicate the issue in order to service the vehicle for repair. I also have a case number assigned to me by the Ford customer service that was to be referenced when I was informed by the customer service representative to take the car into a Ford service center to be looked at.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Feb 142015

Escape

This is a continuous issue first noticed a few months ago when I almost caused an accident on valentine's day because of my car. I was on a ramp about to get into traffic. The highway speed is 75mph and it was busy. I pushed the gas pedal to enter the highway but my car just stood there for about 3 seconds before it finally registered (that I pushed the gas pedal) and sped up really fast. This caused me to cut off the driver on the inside lane because my car didn't speed up as it was supposed to. I drive to work everyday on the highway and this happens about 4 times a week. The other problem, which I tried to dismiss as my imagination because the car was just purchased last year with only 3900 miles on it, is when driving in town about 30-35 mph, the engine seems to stall on and off for a couple of seconds, sort of like when speeding up and suddenly let go of the gas, as if there's no power in the engine.

- Claremore, OK, USA

Apr 062015

Escape

4/29/15 Ford violated their new car warranty coverage, by refusing to repair, the defective components filed in complaint 10713581. The vehicle has been held hostage at inver grove Ford, agreed to repair all items in the aforementioned complaint #10713581. As a disabled veteran, with a sick service dog, I have no access or ability to drive an unsafe vehicle.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Mar 062015

Escape

So far.. 3 times now, I have been driving and my car has strongly surged forward and stalled! I was almost hit today while trying to put my car in neutral to re-start my car. Once the car was re-started it continued to surge forward quite violently. This is an epic safety hazard and needs to be resolved/addressed asap!!!

- Framingham, MA, USA

Nov 252014

Escape 6-cyl

The driver of the vehicle was at the car wash. On the way to the car wash, the vehicle was jumping forward while he was stopped at a stop sign. Driver continued on to the car wash. As he was pulling forward at the car wash(vehicle was in drive), the vehicle started jerking again and when driver pushed on the brake, the vehicle jerked back on it's own and crushed a brick wall. The vehicle was later deemed a total loss.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Oct 152014

Escape 6-cyl

Engine died while making a right hand turn onto another street.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jun 042014

Escape

Car makes a jump when accelerating was told there is a extended coverage on the throttle body and that its possibly the throttle body causing the jolt, but Ford will not fix under the extended coverage recall until the engine light comes on.

- Norfolk, NE, USA

Oct 202014

Escape

My car decelerated rapidly and was unresponsive when applying the gas pedal. Fortunately I was able to make it to the side of a busy interstate without incident. The car behaved as if it were going to shut down. The "wrench" indicator light was on, (check engine light). I turned off the car, and when I turned it back on the light was no longer illuminated, and the car was responding to the gas pedal. I still felt that the car was "dragging". I think it is a throttle body issue.

- Falling Waters, WV, USA

Sep 242014

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving down the road at 40 mph and the engine began making rumbling noises and the engine began to shake as if were trying to shut off, I tried to give it some gas so it wouldn't stall but when I pressed the gas pedal nothing happened. Additionally, the car surges off and on while driving. When I contacted mike davidson Ford where I purchased the car, they acted as if they knew nothing about it and tried to schedule me for a diagnostic test at $89 to determine the problem. That's criminal, this car should be repaired quickly and at their expense! if this happens in heavy traffic or on the interstate it will be very dangerous.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 292011

Escape

Loses power when accelerating from stop. And at times while you're driving. Have given the car gas to accelerate around a car only for the engine to bog down have taken the car in many times to the dealership. Throttle body has been replaced twice. Problem still happening. Have gotten Ford involved but still receive no satisfaction. And did not fix the problem.

- Belleville , IL, USA

Jul 282014

Escape

Driving in the mountains of Kentucky, late morning. I was in the middle lane with the cruise control on, I saw that cars were braking so I tapped on the brake to release the cruise. My car's ignition shut off.

- Melbourne Beach, FL, USA

May 212013

Escape 4-cyl

As per my vehicle report from the dealership: Concern 52*: tech notes clutch slave cylinder is leaking. Cause: Verify concern, find that vehicle has clutch fluid leaking from inside bell housing area. Correction: Remove trans & inspect, find that slave cyl is seeping fluid. Install new slave cyl & adapter. Assemble vehicle, no leaks found inside bell housing, but clutch live from master cyl to slave cyl will not seal properly. Install line, bleed system & retest, all pass. 52-3: manual transmission slave cylinder- hydraulic clutch - replace.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Jun 102014

Escape 4-cyl

As per my vehicle report from the dealership: Concern 51: Customer states drive belt coming apart. Cause: Warranty correction: Verify belt shredded. Found water pump locked up unable to remove debris from tensioner replace water pump tensioner belt. Test drive ok.

- North Charleston, SC, USA