CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Ford Escape has an acceptable complaint history so far, with leaking rear window problems showing up as the main concern so far. NHTSA complaint data shows an early pattern of problems with stalling while driving.

Another concern is the 2012 Escape rolled onto its roof during an NHTSA side impact test so it only received a marginal side impact rating ... not good.

2012 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Escape:

2012 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 162015

From a stopped position then excelling or while driving on highway without any warning my car will stall. And wrench will appear.

- Riverview, FL, USA

May 162015

While driving my vehicle on the highway suddenly the vehicle slowed down to a stop and stalled, I was in the right lane of the highway because I was about to exit, I looked at the dashboard and the RPM was at 0 and the battery light and the oil light was illuminated. However the car had no power I somehow was able to accelerate the car to the hood of the road. At that time I turned the key and removed it from the ignition waited a few minutes and started the vehicle. And the engine started and I pulled back on to the highway to continue my trip. I have taken my vehicle to a Ford service center and they are trying to duplicate the issue in order to service the vehicle for repair. I also have a case number assigned to me by the Ford customer service that was to be referenced when I was informed by the customer service representative to take the car into a Ford service center to be looked at.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Feb 142015

This is a continuous issue first noticed a few months ago when I almost caused an accident on valentine's day because of my car. I was on a ramp about to get into traffic. The highway speed is 75mph and it was busy. I pushed the gas pedal to enter the highway but my car just stood there for about 3 seconds before it finally registered (that I pushed the gas pedal) and sped up really fast. This caused me to cut off the driver on the inside lane because my car didn't speed up as it was supposed to. I drive to work everyday on the highway and this happens about 4 times a week. The other problem, which I tried to dismiss as my imagination because the car was just purchased last year with only 3900 miles on it, is when driving in town about 30-35 mph, the engine seems to stall on and off for a couple of seconds, sort of like when speeding up and suddenly let go of the gas, as if there's no power in the engine.

- Claremore, OK, USA

Apr 062015

4/29/15 Ford violated their new car warranty coverage, by refusing to repair, the defective components filed in complaint 10713581. The vehicle has been held hostage at inver grove Ford, agreed to repair all items in the aforementioned complaint #10713581. As a disabled veteran, with a sick service dog, I have no access or ability to drive an unsafe vehicle.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Mar 062015

So far.. 3 times now, I have been driving and my car has strongly surged forward and stalled! I was almost hit today while trying to put my car in neutral to re-start my car. Once the car was re-started it continued to surge forward quite violently. This is an epic safety hazard and needs to be resolved/addressed asap!!!

- Framingham, MA, USA

Nov 252014

The driver of the vehicle was at the car wash. On the way to the car wash, the vehicle was jumping forward while he was stopped at a stop sign. Driver continued on to the car wash. As he was pulling forward at the car wash(vehicle was in drive), the vehicle started jerking again and when driver pushed on the brake, the vehicle jerked back on it's own and crushed a brick wall. The vehicle was later deemed a total loss.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Oct 152014

Engine died while making a right hand turn onto another street.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jun 042014

Car makes a jump when accelerating was told there is a extended coverage on the throttle body and that its possibly the throttle body causing the jult, but Ford will not fix under the extended coverage recall until the engine light comes on.

- Norfolk, NE, USA

Oct 202014

My car decelerated rapidly and was unresponsive when applying the gas pedal. Fortunately I was able to make it to the side of a busy interstate without incident. The car behaved as if it were going to shut down. The "wrench" indicator light was on, (check engine light). I turned off the car, and when I turned it back on the light was no longer illuminated, and the car was responding to the gas pedal. I still felt that the car was "dragging". I think it is a throttle body issue.

- Falling Waters, WV, USA

Sep 242014

I was driving down the road at 40 mph and the engine began making rumbling noises and the engine began to shake as if were trying to shut off, I tried to give it some gas so it wouldn't stall but when I pressed the gas pedal nothing happened. Additionally, the car surges off and on while driving. When I contacted mike davidson Ford where I purchased the car, they acted as if they knew nothing about it and tried to schedule me for a diagnostic test at $89 to determine the problem. That's criminal, this car should be repaired quickly and at their expense! if this happens in heavy traffic or on the interstate it will be very dangerous.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 292011

Loses power when accelerating from stop. And at times while you're driving. Have given the car gas to accelerate around a car only for the engine to bog down have taken the car in many times to the dealership. Throttle body has been replaced twice. Problem still happening. Have gotten Ford involved but still receive no satisfaction. And did not fix the problem.

- Belleville , IL, USA

Jul 282014

Driving in the mountains of Kentucky, late morning. I was in the middle lane with the cruise control on, I saw that cars were braking so I tapped on the brake to release the cruise. My car's ignition shut off.

- Melbourne Beach, FL, USA

May 212013

Escape 4-cyl

As per my vehicle report from the dealership: Concern 52*: tech notes clutch slave cylinder is leaking. Cause: Verify concern, find that vehicle has clutch fluid leaking from inside bell housing area. Correction: Remove trans & inspect, find that slave cyl is seeping fluid. Install new slave cyl & adapter. Assemble vehicle, no leaks found inside bell housing, but clutch live from master cyl to slave cyl will not seal properly. Install line, bleed system & retest, all pass. 52-3: manual transmission slave cylinder- hydraulic clutch - replace.

Jun 102014

Escape 4-cyl

As per my vehicle report from the dealership: Concern 51: Customer states drive belt coming apart. Cause: Warranty correction: Verify belt shredded. Found water pump locked up unable to remove debris from tensioner replace water pump tensioner belt. Test drive ok.

Apr 292013

Escape 4-cyl

As per my vehicle report from the dealership: Concern 51: Verify cust concern, find that veh spins over but will not start, install ids & performed koeo, all pass. Perform relative compression test, 80% loss 3,4. correction: Perform manual compression test. Cyl 1-180, 2-175, 3-0, 4-0. perform leakdown & pressure test, find that intake valves in 3 & 4 are not sealing. Remove valve cover & inspect camshafts, no damage found. Spin vehicle over & verify timing. Find that crank pulley has bracket out & vehicle has jumped time. 51-1: remove intake, exhaust manifold, timing components & cyl head. Inspect and finds that valves in 3,4 have contacted pistons, no damage found on pistons. Install new head gasket, cyl head bolts, 2 new diamond washers, all related gaskets & perform timing procedure. Assemble vehicle, change oil & fill fl. 52-2 koeo, pass. Roer vehicle has dtc PO524. Perform pinpoint test, replace vct solenoid, koer all pass. Test drive. Vehicle runs properly at this time. 51-5: cylinder head gasket- leakage (external leaks)- test.

Feb 072013

Escape 4-cyl

As per my vehicle report from the dealership: Concern 51: C/S that battery light is on, please check and advise. Cause: Verified concern. Found belt thrown. Also found and oil leak at the front cover via a dime sized hole in the cover. Correction: Replaced front cover and vbelt. Also replaced motor mount that was stripped out. Verified repair. Battery light is off and no oil leaks at this time.

May 052013

When moving forward from a dead stop at an intersection of a busy highway, the automobile engine hesitates or semi stalls and will not pick up normal speed in order to get out of the way of approaching, on coming and following vehicles. At several different times we were almost rear-ended by vehicles behind us, or hit from the driver's side or front passengers side of the vehicle because of the engine's hesitation when crossing intersections or major highways. I took the vehicle to a Ford dealer and was told that "no problem" was found, but the problem still exists. I guess when a death or serious injury occurs something will be done!

- Glencoe, AL, USA

Mar 202013

Had to have engine mounts replaced due to vehicle heavily shaking. Also windshield was remounted at same time to due loud noise.

- Crescent Springs, KY, USA

Mar 062014

Vehicle lost power on highway for approx 5-10 seconds, power came back slowly and then happened again a few minutes later for 5-10 seconds. Depressing accelerator had no effect.

- Beachwood, OH, USA

Oct 302013

Escape 6-cyl

When pulling out from an intersection, I experienced intermittent power loss which resulted in vehicle loafing forward then stalling or entering safety mode low idle maneuverability with wrench light on. I was in heavy traffic and had to shut off the car, place in park then restart only to have the vehicle lurch then shut off or return to safety idle again before I was able to exit the street safely. After several attempts to restart, the check engine light came on resulting in trouble code P2111 "current" fault throttle actuator control system - stuck open and code P2112 " pending throttle actuator control system - stuck closed.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA