2. add a nut to the white plastic line holder underneath dash (1 reports)
  3. tighten a 30-torx bolt under the drivers dash (1 reports)
1998 Ford Expedition accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Expedition:

1998 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Aug 142009

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Well I just bought the car and it has 222000+ miles on it. It had this problem since I bought it just last weekend. It won't shift into park, just reverse. The shifter is in park, but just doesn't click into the gear and stays in reverse. First I started to go for the linkage adjuster because I thought it might have slipped, but I couldn't get to it, which is a good thing because that wasn't the problem. I looked the problem up online and found a forum that talked about this problem happening and it was a bolt under the driver dash that had loosened. I looked under the dash and after a short amount of searching, I found a loose bolt. Tightened it up and everything is back to normal as far as the shifter is concerned.

- , Panama City, FL, USA

Jan 082009

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

Transmission indicated misaligned. Read repair manual that stated it could be adjusted so I looked into it. Discovered that a portion of the line holder under the dash (a white plastic piece with one screw) had snapped off. So I took it off to purchase the replacement part via Ford, when it was explained to me by Ford parts department that I would have to purchase the entire indicator (approx: $20 to $30, not happening) just to get a $2 to $3 small plastic part. They must have some really good drugs for the parts department crew. Well I ended up improvising, by disconnecting the cable, removing the adjuster nut and adding an additional nut on the cable then I reconnected the through the plastic holder, replaced the adjuster nut and attached the cable. Adjustment to the line was then accomplished with the shift lever in the Drive position with a 8 to 10 lbs weight to hold it steady. Adjust the added nut first to line up the indicator with the "D" then tighten the adjust nut finger tight, shift back to Park and all is done. Hope this helps all that will have this problem in the future or that have had this problem.

- , Simpsonville, SC, USA

Aug 142007

Expedition 5.4L

Went to pick up a pizza, hopped back in the truck and the shifter was misaligned. I was terrified the tranny was going to fall out or something or the truck dropped a gear! Any ideas what the hell this is all about and how much to fix???

- , Waterford, MI, USA

Jul 312007

Expedition V8

We got this back from 100,000 mile service at the dealer and the shifter is off. If I want to put it in Drive I have to put it in 2nd, everything is off by one. I don't feel like wasting anymore time with the dealer, I hate their service dept. My husband works near the dealer so that is why we waste our money using them.

- , Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Mar 212007

Expedition XLT 4.6 V8

A/T shift indicator shifted after going to the store. So now when I put the vehicle in REVERSE it looks as if it is really in NEUTRAL. Its extremely annoying!!!!

- , Iona, ID, USA

Dec 092003

A/T shift indicator needle suddenly shifted so that with a NEUTRAL indication, the truck is actually in REVERSE. ALLDATA indicated that there was a safety recall TSB 97S86 which applies, but two Ford dealers deny there is any recall.

- , Tempe, AZ, USA