1998 Ford Expedition electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Expedition:

1998 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 162005

Expedition

Cc quit working, replaced at dealer, would not get out of park

- Spring, TX, USA

Apr 252005

Expedition 4WD

On April 25th, 2005 my 1998 Ford Expedition exploded and was totally destroyed by fire. I contacted Ford and was told my VIN number was not a part of the recall. From all information I have been able to fine the description of other car fires match how my car burned. Ford has advised me that my insurance company will have to subrogate. My insurance company will cover the balance owed on my car, however I am without a vehicle. My insurance company is advising me that a law suit against Ford will take years. I want to file a complaint against Ford, this is unfair treatment. I have lost my car, contents within and now I have no transportation.

- Norcross, GA, USA

May 022005

Expedition

Vehicle parked approx 10 hours, horn blowing intermittently, smelled smoke, interior garage door to house hot, got family out - did not witness vehicle fire as outside garage door was shut ----- cruise control quit working 1 month prior to vehicle fire

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 232004

Expedition

Vehicle parked approx 3 hours, flames front of dash at windshield, tried to put out vehicle fire himself --- injured ---- no problems with vehicle prior to vehicle fire

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 222003

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Spark plug bown out of poorly designed cylinder head on 5.4 liter engine.

- Seneca, SC, USA

Mar 232005

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Spark plugs blown out of cylinder head of Ford Expedition 5.4 liter engine.

- Seneca, SC, USA

Apr 042005

Expedition 8-cyl

GEM module/ECU failed - corosion found on ba box fuse assembly - progressive and randon symtoms over period of time prior to complete failure - Ford looked at problems previously and never corrected(replaced batery worn out from repeated drains). Caused electrical backflows into various systems when power off such as ac, radio, engine etc... draining battery numerous times and causing a potential fire hazard.... caused airbags to become disabled... compromised ABS braking randomly... these sysmptoms occurred many months prior to total failure at which time many really weird sysmptoms made the car virtually undriveable at speed... transmission changing gears erradically... speedometer works off and on... engine cycle thru startup cycle over and over while driving.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Mar 032005

Expedition 8-cyl

I arrived at home and parked vehicle in garage ~5:15pm. My wife walked on the treadmill (which is in the garage) from 7:15 " 7:45pm and did not smell or notice anything unusual. At 10:00 pm I looked through garage door to make sure lights were out and garage doors shut. I noticed a small red light below the truck. After further investigation, I found it was a flame. I came back in the house told my wife to notify the fire dept. I used a hose and fire extinguishers to exhaust flame as the fire dept. Arrived. The heat was so intense it melted the garage light lens above the vehicle. The vehicle would not go into neutral due to damage, so I used my neighbor"S truck to pull the vehicle out of the garage. It appears to have been the defective cruise switch according to a fire investigator. The damage to the vehicle is obvious I can email photos (except I did not photo damaged windshield). We also have smoke damage to our garage. I have filed a complaint with Ford originally they told me it would be 5 days until they contact me, now they say it could be 10 days. I asked them to expedite, since I am currently without a vehicle. Ford has not done anything at this point to review or resolve the issue.

- Gurley, AL, USA

Jan 132005

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicles the multi-function switch (combination turn signal, windshield washer/wiper) had a design or assembly flaw. The original switch was replaced under warranty due to corrosion in the washer. A few months later the replacement failed.

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Jan 192005

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Our 1998 Ford Expedition was destroyed by a electrical fire that damaged our home.the truck was last driven at 9:30pm and at 11:30pm it started on fire.the truck was totaled by the insurannc company.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Aug 212004

Expedition 8-cyl

While my 1998 Ford Expedition was parked in drive way, it caught on fire under the hood without any type of warning. The fire was put out by my husband and our neighbors, only to reign night again. The fire department was called to the scene and was able to put it out for good.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 052005

Expedition

Vehicle inadvertently caught on fire while being parked. The cause of this was undetermined.

- Kirkland, WA, USA

Jan 032005

Spark plug blew-out.

- Nipomo, CA, USA

Dec 282004

Expedition

My 1998 Ford Expedition blew a spark plug out of the head. I now learn that Ford's engineers recognized this defect in the head and have increased the thread count in the head from approximately 4 threads to approximately 10 threads (per power Ford, torrance, ca).

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Aug 302004

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

While pulling into the street from a parked position a spark plug blew out. Dealer was not notified.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Jun 232004

Expedition

On my 1998 Ford Expedition the spark plug blew out of the engine. The Ford company will not say that the engine has a defect. The spark plugs are still the same ones that came with the truck new. I had my infant son in the car when this occurred, and this mishap put us in needless peril. Car is in repair still and Ford is not treating this like an engine defect. I see many online posts from other Ford owners who experienced this same problem. This situation could have caused death or serious injury. Gasoline was fumes were strong and the engine could have caught on fire.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

May 082004

Expedition 4WD 6-cyl

Ford needs to recall the 1998 year Expedition. I bought my vehicle new and have to date replaced a blown spark plug and approximately 5 blown coil packs. Ford tells me the installation of the coil packs were not moisture protected therefore when the coil receives moisture they blow. There is 8 coil packs in a vehicle at a cost of approximately $377 per coil. How can we get these recalled? if you did a search of all Ford dealerships and see how many people have had coil packs and sparks plugs replaced you would see there is a definite problem. Please help with this!

- Carson City, NV, USA

Apr 292004

Expedition

While driving 30 mph, a loud knocking noise was heard coming from the front, then vehicle stalled. Consumer tried to restart vehicle but was unable to do so. Consumer had vehicle towed to the dealer for inspection, and mechanic determined that the third spark plug blew out, and needed to be replaced. Driver informed the mechanic that this problem occurred more than once.

- Worth, IL, USA

Apr 112004

Expedition

While driving on a service road at 40 mph spark plugs blew out, causing vehicle to decelerate. This was a common problem with these vehicles, that may have been caused by the tread not being treaded deep enough into the head at the factory.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Feb 222004

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

My 1998 Ford Expedition eddie bauer with a 5.4L Triton V-8 just blew a spark plug.

- Bellevue, WA, USA