1999 Ford Expedition electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Expedition:

1999 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Dec 122013

Expedition

I have this very same problem. While vehicle is off the heater blowers will turn on and run battery down. While driving 4X4, washer lights, power windows, radio, interior lights all turn off and on. Radio works while in park but, powers down when vehicle is put in gear. Have had issues with water getting in and running down drivers side. Appears alot of people are having the same issue. Bought the vehicle in 2008 just started having these issues within the past year started out slow but are getting worst and more frequent. Now my vehicle after jump starting it I hear a electrical noise coming from my starter, it shuts the car off and kills the battery. The car will only run for ten seconds or so before it repeats.

- Cincinnait, OH, USA

Dec 302011

Expedition

The contact owns a 1999 Ford Expedition. While the vehicle was parked with the engine turned off, the rear brake lights and instrument panel began to illuminate. The contact disengaged the battery cable to prevent the malfunction from continuing. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 155,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Aug 152011

Expedition 8-cyl

The radio would turn on and off without the key in the ignition, the starter tries to start the vehicle without the key in the ignition. While driving down the road the interior lights flicker and the headlights will turn on and off randomly. Automatic door locks will not always work.

- Danville, PA, USA

Jun 012004

Expedition

The contact owns a 1999 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that water penetrated the vehicle causing the general electrical module, and fuse box, to corrode. The vehicle started on its own and caused the radio, heater, and all other electrical functions to fail. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times for the failure. The dealer replaced the electrical module and the fuse box several times. The windshield was replaced, but the dealer wasn't able to locate determine where the water penetrated the vehicle. The manufacturer took a report 0478403130 and advised the contact to take the vehicle back to the dealer. The failure mileage was 30,000. The current mileage was 135,000. Updated 3/8/11 updated 11/28/11

- Redwood City , CA, USA

Jun 272010

Expedition

My 1999 Ford Expedition went up in flames last night (June 26) in my driveway. I had driven the truck home, turned it off and walked inside to go to bed. Approximately fifteen minutes later, I was awoken to my car having seven foot flames coming from the hood. The fire department was called and we began trying to fight the fire. The truck is a total loss. I bought this vehicle in may of 2008 and I understand that there was a recall on this vehicle. I was never notified of any recall.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jun 202010

Expedition

When it rains my 1999 Ford Expedition turned on the lights all by itself, and then proceeded to try and crank itself with no key. Radio and air comes on by themselves, clicking noise under dash, found several complaints saying that it is a leak in the windshield causing the computer to get wet.

- Old Town, FL, USA

Apr 122010

Expedition

Our battery died because the air fan inside the car would not shut off. Once I got car jump started noticed that many electrical devices were either not working or turning on and off by themselves. These problems continued after I replaced battery. I took it to the dealership and was told that the windshield in 1999 Ford Expedition leaked causing electrical shortages in most electrical components in the car. And would cost $1000 to fix and the windshield would need to be replaced for another $200. After researching this I have found that this is a well known problem in this model but no recall has been established.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Mar 232010

Expedition

Unusual circumstances such as window switch working the wipers, digital odometer going off and on, brakes working the interior dome lights, blower motor for heater coming on without a key even in the ignition, door locks don't engage until moving for a minute or two, after blower motor kicked on without a key, took to shop and they said water had gotten in the power dist. Box and floorboard had moisture also. Will cost me over $700 but I cant afford to fix on my $600 disability check I get a month. Thanks Ford!!!

- Barnhart, MO, USA

Oct 162009

Expedition

1999 Ford Expedition. SUV has been random electrical anomalies over the past month from today. Gauges, interior fans, and lights would stay on when the ignition would bee in the off position and key removed. Upon inspection from a local Ford dealership service department, it has been noted from them that corrosion of the general electrical module and fuse box are the cause, most likely from a water leak from the front windshield. Improper information from dash consoles can lead to stalls on roadways or improper driving due to improper information received from the instrument panel. In my case, it is limited to battery drain, improper fuel readings, windshield wiper failure, and failure to start. In the end it is mainly a resemblance to ODI complaint EA05-015.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Oct 012009

Expedition

1999 Ford Expedition windshield leaks and shorts out electrical system. Happens when unattended often and turns on lights and other systems so battery goes dead. Had Ford dealer repair one year ago and problem has returned.

- Red Lake Falls, MN, USA

Jun 202009

Expedition

Electrical system malfunctioning on 1999 Ford Expedition. Lights, door lock, windows, air conditioning, radio, flashers, lights, gauges.

- Americus, GA, USA

May 162009

Expedition

The contact owns a 1999 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that she previously experienced failures with the battery losing power and the vehicle shutting off without warning. The battery was replaced three times, but the failure was not corrected. On May 16, 2009, while driving approximately 30 mph, the battery lost power and the windshield wiper washer released fluid. Within seconds, the vehicle shut off. The dealer stated that the GEM module was corroded. The manufacturer filed report number 0481541389 and stated that there was no recall; therefore, they would not assist. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and current mileage was 130,000.

- Crothersville, IN, USA

Feb 182009

Expedition

Water leaks in the windshield causing blower motor to stay on after ignition is on, randomly tries to start when key is not even in ignition, lights blink, could cause fire.

- Tallmadge , OH, USA

Feb 102008

Expedition

It started off with a beeping, that happened once and a while. I also noticed when the defroster was turned on black dust like stuff would blow out. Then one day my husband and I heard the Expedition trying to start. No keys in the ignition, no one in the truck! my husband had to disable the battery to get it to stop. We were going to take it to the Ford dealer, but when we started it, it continued to try and turn over. Therefore my husband had to disconnect the battery again and we had to pay for a truck hauler to take it to the Ford dealer. While at the dealer we told them it couldn't be started, because of it trying to turn over, but apparently they did let it run and now we have starter problems. Also they had the windshield seal replaced, but it still leaks. We will be taking it back to them to have their repairs repaired. It's a shame, I was so proud of my SUV, now I just don't know.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Feb 142008

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Windshield leaked into fuse box and GEM module, growing a fungus and needing replacement, creating electrical functions to turn on and off at will with the potential of causing a fire.

- Watsonville, CA, USA

Feb 132008

Expedition 8-cyl

Electrical system had intermittent failures, lights going on and off, dash lights flashing, radio going on and off, ammeter fluctuating.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Jan 012008

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Unwanted electrical activity that can result in fires. Radio, wipers and HVAC blower turn on spontaneously when vehicle ignition is off. Burning rubber smell sometimes.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Nov 302007

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Every time it rains. When SUV is parked and turned off the wipers come on. Headlamps and flashers go on and off. Radio turns on and off. Vehicle tries to start itself without key in the ignition. Battery discharges.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Oct 022007

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

I own a 1999 Ford Expedition truck, this truck caught on fire and blew up Tuesday October 2, 2007 at approximately 7:02 pm. I had just finished parking the truck 7 minutes prior to it catching on fire and blowing up. The vehicle is now of no use. The consumer stated wrote Ford twice about the defect but Ford informed him there was nothing they could do due to the extensive damage on the vehicle. New Jersey incident report. Updated 11/06/07

- Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Jun 042007

Expedition 8-cyl

My Ford Expedition caught on fire on 4th of June 2007. In my driveway at 5 am - my garage was burned and the car was a crisp.

- Hillside, NJ, USA