2001 Ford Expedition wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Expedition:

2001 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 102005

Expedition 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that he had a tread separation on a tire. The tire was located on the passenger rear side. This occurred while driving at about 65-70 mph. The dealership stated to submit the tires to Continental tire for evaluation of the tires. The manufacture is Continental. The model name is grabber aw. The tire line is 27560R17. The dot number is 27560R17. He thinks that the tire manufacture recommends that the tire pressure be 33psi. The contact does not that the psi on his tires is what ever the manufacture recommends. The tires are regularly serviced such as tire pressure checks and tire rotation. There where some vibration while driving the vehicle. He did not notice any abnormal bulging in the tire before this happened. This occurred on July 10, 2005. The contact does not currently have the tire because he submitted it to Continental for evaluation. Updated 11/16/2005 -

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Apr 022005

Expedition 8-cyl

Purchased a 2001 Ford Expedition from maroone Ford in margate on 11/05/2004. The tires that came with this vehicle were the Contitrac aw id # 02T012000. On 04/02/05 while traveling on I-95 at the speed of 55 mph my left rear tire blew out. I was able to get the truck under control without hitting any other cars and I was not injured. I had that tired replaced the same day and thought it must have been something on I-95 that caused the tire to blow out. On 05/21/05 while traveling East on commercial blvd in fort lauderdale Florida at a spead of 30 mhp the right rear tire blew out, I drove the truck into tire kingdom and had that tire replaced as well. This morning while parking at work I noticed thread separation lumps had developed on the two remaining tires, at this point I realized something had to be wrong with the tires, and through the internet I found out there was a recall on these tires. I contated the dealership who sold me the truck inmediately and was told they could not do anything to correct the problemp because to their knowledge there is no recall in effect for these tires and that the manufacturer would have to be the one to replace them, but that if I could not wait to then take the truck to the nearest tire kingdom to have the tires replaced and that they would pro rate the cost of the tires. I had both tires replaced this afternoon, again at my own expense. In the past two months I have replaced all four tires on this vehicle, and the dealership has not been of any assitance, they sold me a tire warranty product that does not cover these type of incidents, the product was misrepresented to me and I intend to file a separate complaint with the fla insurance commissioners office regarding that matter. I contacted a naca representative today and was advised to contact Ford and to contact your office and file a complaint any assistance you can provide in obtaining reimbursement for the cost of these tires is greatly appreciated.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Aug 162004

Expedition 8-cyl

Tire blew out while traveling causing vehicle to fishtail from side to side, no crash

- Destrehan, LA, USA

Mar 032005

Expedition

Tire rotation/balance/allignment done 1/18/05. On 3/3/05 had sudden vibration on interstate 75. Found area on the rear pass. Side tire aprrox 6-8 inches long & 3/4 width of the tire with tread separation. These were the original grabbers (on my 2001 Expedition) lot 1377, which was not part of the recall several yrs ago. Tire dealer said other rear tire was also showing signs of tread separation as well. Tire had 49,000 miles on them with plenty of tread.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 012003

Expedition

General tires recall on 2001 Ford Expedition. The consumer experienced tread separation at a high rate of speed which caused extensive damage to the consumers vehicle. The consumer received a recall letter regarding the defective tires.

- Weston, FL, USA

Jan 012004

Expedition 8-cyl

Tire tread separated. (nar) while driving a piece of the passenger side rear tire tread came off the tire. The tire was replaced with the spare. Next the drivers side rear tire tread separated which caused temporary loss of control. The tire damaged the rear bumper and wheel well. While doing research the consumer came across a recall notice for the tires. The consumer request reimbursement for the price of five new tires, damage and mental anguish. The vehicle transmission also had to be overhauled because it caused the vehicle to vibrate while changing gears. The ignition coil was replaced to alleviate bucking while driving at a steady speed.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jul 122004

Expedition

Re defective general "grabber aw" SUV tires. Defect number could not be found. Consumer would like to be reinbursed for the cost of replacing vehicle tires.

- College Station, TX, USA

Aug 012004

Expedition 8-cyl

The left rear tire experienced a tread separation while driving 70 mph with two adults in a Ford, Explorer 2001. The problem was noticed when the rear of the vehicle was wobbling, and something was flapping against the body of the vehicle. Original equipment, tire size 275/60R17, and dot #adt044T0101. Tire company was notified.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Aug 132004

Expedition

Tread separation 2nd tire.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 012004

Expedition 8-cyl

While driving from la to oh we experienced tire tread separation on the rear driver side tire while going 70 miles an hour on the hwy.the tires are original to the 2001 Expedition.Continental issued a recall on certain P275/60R17 tires on 2000 & 2001 Expedition and Navigator.the recall was issued due to potential tread detachment or separation.when I found out about the recall at the beginning of last year I had the tires checked and found they were not part of the recall.after our tread separation and numerous calls to conti's corporate office in South Carolina and last time speaking with supervisor(who would not give me his last name) I personally was told that conti would replace the tire with tread separation (pro rated) but not the remaining tires on the vehicle because they aren't defective.I told him I did not feel safe having these tires on my vehicle especially since we have 1040 mile trip home but was told "no replacements". when I asked how the tire could just suddenly have tread separation, I was told that in the summer when tires heat up this can happen.he told me that if I still felt unsafe with then to take them to either a local Ford dealer or to a tire dealer.we took the truck to both and were told that sort of separation is rare & unusual.the Ford dealer has attempted to reach an agreement with conti to but was told the best "deal" would only give 25% off new tires and not replace them totally (not even the defective tire). The General Grabber aw P275/60R17's have been discontinued and another brand wil have to be substituted.I think that these tires present a safety hazard to other people who may unknowingly have them think they are safe because they were not part of the recall.I feel that others need to be informed of this hazard and of conti's unwillingness to rectify the situation. Now while my family and I were lucky that when the separation occured we were able to get to the side of the road without an accident others may not be so lucky.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Jul 012004

Expedition

Defective General Grabber aw SUV tires. The consumer's experienced a tire failure. The vehicle was taken to a tire retailer and the repairman noticed a separation between the tread ribs was forming. A replacement of the same tire was not available therefore the technician moved the tire to the spare area. Several months later the consumer observed a large section of the tire missing due to tread separation. While attempting to locate a general dealer the consumer came across a recall for General Grabber aw tires (02T-012000). The service advisor stated that there was no recall on the vehicle.

- College Station, TX, USA

Jun 252004

Expedition

I have a 2001 Ford Expedition that came equipped with General Grabber aw tires, 275/60R 17 (all have dot # adto 44T 2401). These particular tires were recalled due to tread separation and I took them to a Ford dealer when I heard of the recall. I was informed that my tires were not covered by the recall. I was told that the problem was corrected and that the tires were fine. I was also told that the problem was that the tires were experiencing tread separation at about 45,000 miles. At 47,000 miles on the tires while driving at highway speeds I felt severe shaking of the vehicle, I pulled off of the road and inspected the tires. One of the tires (right rear) showed extensive tread separation very near total failure. Only my good judgement averted a possible disaster. I went to my Ford dealer to complain about the tires, they said that they may be able to help me with new tires. When it came down to the bottom line they said that the tires had too many miles. I will not buy another set of general tires ever. I feel that both Ford and Continental (general) and responsible and should replace these tires which they should have done 2 years ago when the others were recalled. They have been gambleing with the safety of my family and apparently have dodged the bullet this time.

- Portland, TX, USA

Apr 082004

Expedition 8-cyl

We own a 2001 Expedition the tires on this vehicle are the same tires recalled P275/60R17. I went to greenville to pick up my son on the way home I felt the vehicle shaking and did'nt know what was happening. I started slowing down and we hear a bang noise I pulled over into the emergency lane and checked my tires the back right side hade a large bare spot on the tire showing the separation and wires of the tire. My son who just had surgeryon his foot had to change the tire. No-one was hurt. I know the lord was truely looking out for us because from what I have heard people have been killed from these tires separating. I called ben satcher where we bought the vehicle from and the service manager said my particular vehicle didn't have the right serial number for the recalled tires and they won't do anything for us. I think if we were killed they'd have a bigger problem on their hands. But the purpose of writing this is to let you know I think more tires were effected than Continental tires is considering. Can someone please let me know what I should do next because I believe others will continue to have these type of problems and they just don't know how to get help either. I think there needs to be another investigation of these tires. I have seen the complaints posted and they seem to have been reported after the orginial recall has expired and we should not be penalized for this problem happening after your expiration date of helping people. If a tire is bad it's seems to me you should not be able to put a cap on that.

- Gaston, SC, USA

Apr 122004

Expedition

At 30 mph consumer noticed one of the tires was making a rumbling noise. Consumer replaced all four tires. Firestone, stelltex at, LT265/75R16.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 162003

Expedition

2001 Ford Expedition suffered from tire tread separation. While driving the tread of the left rear tire separated. The tread separation caused extensive damage to the vehicle. It bent the exhaust pipe, ripped off the wheel well trim, smashed the turn signal compartment and scraped the bumper. The consumer requested reimbursement for the damages and would like replacement tires.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 022003

Expedition 8-cyl

As we were driving we had a tire tread separation. Luckly, we did not flip over in our 2001 Ford Expedition. To our knowledge when we got home we checked the tires number and it was a recalled general- grabber aw.fortunately, we all survived but our car has major damage. The recall on the tires ended April 1st, 2003 and we purchased the SUV the same month.now the tire manufacture doesnot want to do anything, Ford company says-they wont do anything- the dealership that we purchased the SUV from says they're not responsible how does the dealership not know about the grenade they sold me" I thought that the purpose of a recall was to save lives... I almost lost my family and my life- if we did die or one of my family members- would someone finally listen? well, that's the impression I'm getting.when will the rules change? ntsb-should help me because that's why you all do the work that you do. I still have the tire -the damaged tire that is-what do I do"

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 302003

Expedition 8-cyl

The tread on the left rear tire peeled away from the sidewayy. I have other tires seperate, but this by far was the cleanes seperation that I have seen. I was on vacation and had all other tires replaced and my cost. I never heard about the recall in 2002 and I am very agitated with this, becuase I would never put my family on unsafe tires. The tread hit the back tailgate and quarter pannel and cost a total of $1,650 in damage. Now my insurace company will deal with this "company".

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jul 042002

Expedition 8-cyl

We were on vacation and were near palm springs, California travelling on the I-10 w/B when the right rear tire separated and caused extensive damage to the right rear quarter panel. If the separated tread hadn't hit the tailpipe and quarter panel, then the tire may have come up and hit the rear passenger. The tread actually pushed up the carpeting and indented the undercarriage. We kept the separated tire.took pictures.we bought new tires. We just filed a complaint with Continental tires as of 7-6-03. I think they expected us to drive on the three other tires until our vacation was over. When I told them I replaced the other tires they said there wasn't anything they could do, except examine the bad tire. Is it going to take a fatality(s) before something is done? Continental tires said my tires { general grabbers aw 275/60/R17 } were not part of the recall. According to my dot #. I hope they will at least replace my one tire and repair the damage to my 2001 Expedition. Well at least there hasn't been any deaths/injuries. But I remember several years ago Ford had problems with the Firestone tires, it took lawsuits and deaths to recall those tires. I can see that Ford is having problems with tires again. I hope you can help me with this. Or warn other owners of the potential problem with the tires.

- Phx, AZ, USA

Feb 152003

Expedition

The dealer refused to honor a recall issued related to tread separation of Continental tires.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Apr 132003

Expedition 8-cyl

The tires experienced tread separation, which made the vehicle difficult to control. Size#P27560R17 dot#44T3400. Three of the tires separated while traveling with passengers (1 child & 3 adults) the tire caused a terrible vibration in the vehicle, rocked back and forth, and from side to side when slowing down.

- Sarasota, FL, USA